Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah, it's a shame because if they took some time off between seasons to spend more time on the animation I'm sure it'd look much better, and you wouldn't need to worry about putting together filler arcs, but big-time shonen hits like OP and Naruto are such a license to print money that they just keep putting them out week after week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Even the little bits we got of Gear 5 have me amped up to see how they handle the rest of the fight and Gear 5 in the future.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Ok but why the hell were time and resources limited for this specific episode

This is Ultra Instinct Omen Goku tier where it should’ve been a double feature, a lot of people who don’t touch the anime were going to tune into this

I 100% agree with this take. I feel like they should be cutting budget and time left, right, and center in order to focus as much of that as possible on any shot that Gear 5 Luffy or Kaido are in going forward. I almost never watch One Piece anime and I made it a point to check this out, and I'll keep checking it out at least until the end of this fight. It seems like the best business move and way to grab new fans is to dial things up to be as rad as possible at this particular moment and for this particular fight. There's also a potential of new fans checking it out from the live action Netflix show too, so all the more reason to go all-in for the next 10-20 episodes.

Then again, One Piece is an unstoppable juggernaut of success at this point so it's not like any missed opportunities for growth will really come back to bite them. Hell they could completely whiff the rest of Gear 5 and I feel like tons of fans are already hooked and the quality of previous Roof Piece events will give them something to think fondly of.