Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Scratchman Apoo posted:

I'm glad to hear that the fakehats are voiced by other straw hats. I was always hoping for that! Usopp or Sanji would do a good Luffy.

Oh poo poo that's just awesome on so many levels! I hope Luffy voices Fakehat Chopper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

QuantaStarFire posted:

Also, I still find it amusing that Brook was able to become a world famous musician without anyone in the World Government noticing. It makes me wonder if fights with the Marines are going to be interrupted by requests to sign autographs.

There's not much connecting Brook to the Straw Hat crew. No one even saw him with them until Kuma came alone to slap them apart, and I doubt Kuma went back to put in some official report. And it's not as if anyone looking at his 50 year old wanted poster would easily put two and two together to figure out who he is.

I hope the Fakehats get their own drat filler saga.

managa spoiler... maybe...What happened to the flash back of Roger meeting Rayleigh for the first time? I thought that happened when he started training Luffy, but I never saw it.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Teek posted:

but it seems like they added filler this episode to show all the SHs. As I don't think Zoro showed up until later on.

Zoro was the first to show, much to his own delight as you'll see later on. But his showing up is filler because before it was just stated that he was already there.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Kingtheninja posted:

Somewhere there's a pretty precise timeline done up for the first part. If I remember the end consensus is from start to time skip was really only a few months. Like, three or four.

So basically in his first week Luffy defeated every threat in the East Blue, another week later slapped around Wapol, only to spend the next couple days defeating Baroque Works and Crocodile, and then cooled by spending a day showing Bellamy that he could throw a punch. About half a week after that he'd overthrown loving God, and finished out the week by defeating CP9. I think it probably took at least a week to build the new ship. That downtime put Luffy in a rush, so he beat Moria about three days later, and finally headed off for half a day of rest at Sabaody before taking on Kuma. I guess everything left including all of the war between Whitebeard and the Navy occured over like two or three days.

In the end all of One Piece up to the current arc was like two months.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
So Luffy is fake Robin... I'm disappointed, I really hoped he'd be fake Chopper's growl.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

KoB posted:

Fake Robin was Nami

Are you sure? It sounded to me like Fake Robin was played by Luffy.

Also anyone else feel dissapointed that Luffy didn't believe that Sogeking was the real Sogeking?

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

JosephWongKS posted:

If they didn't look identical, no-one in Sabaody would have confused Fake Luffy for the real one. At least they compromised for our sake by giving Fake Luffy a different voice actor.

Yeah but I never watched an episode of One Piece ever before today so that doesn't help me. My only clue as to who was who was that the real Luffy immediately laid down and took a nap with his crew after the fake one bumped him. If there's anything that screams real Luffy to me it's someone just napping whenever he feels like it regardless of the situation he's in.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Suspicious Lump posted:

Also losing an eye as a swords man must be really bad. No more depth perception!

I've never been convinced that it's lost. I'd hate to see One Piece ever pull a loving Naruto, but somehow I think there's something crazy going on with his closed eye. Some people have brought up the idea of pirates who wore patches to retain night vision in one eye...but in Zoro's case I think it'd be something far crazier.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

CubanMissile posted:

Luckily losing an eye in an anime has zero effect on your fighting ability.

Hell, if Zoro had lost both eyes and gone blind he'd of probably of shown up to Sabaody wearing a hat made up of Kizaru's head that he lopped off on his way to meet up with Luffy.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Suspicious Lump posted:

They keep dragging the fakehats out. It's getting really irritating.

The Fakehats are awesome. I'd happily sit by and watch an entire arc about them.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Rob Lucci had a bird on his shoulder... Not a parrot, but it wore a loving tie so that's like 50 times better than a parrot.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
So much filler... And I love every second of it!

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

JosephWongKS posted:

I like to think of Brook's song as something that was cut from the manga rather than filler added to the anime.

I was counting the songs as filler simply because obviously the manga can only say that a song happened. But I count it as filler in the absolute most amazing way possible. gently caress, Brooks song could be the show's new intro and I'd be happy.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Teek posted:

I'm surprised a network hasn't taken a chance on showing OP again. It's probably 4Kids fault for tainting the franchise so badly in the U.S.

The Funimation dub isn't flawless, but it sure as gently caress rapes 4Kids. I imagine it'd draw in some more interest for the series, which would be great.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Wow, definitely a rocking episode. Probably the best so far since the time skip.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
New episode is up.

Poor Robin. She's the only one without friends to stop by to see her off.

Reading the manga and even more-so watching the anime I get the feeling that Zoro didn't sleep alone during the past two years. :huh:

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Appachai posted:

Maybe they don't want to be women. Seems like a simple answer to me.

Considering their leader can change people's genders I'd say that's a given.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
I love Zoro's comment about already having seen all of it before because he got on the wrong ship. Also I'd hate to imagine what kicked Kuma's rear end that hard.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

tsob posted:

Well that was kind of my point. Yet it keeps being suggested. That, or a prism, which again makes no sense to me.

He should just go down in a battle with Teach. Darkness vs. Light... It makes sense.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

rock2much posted:

Cosign!
Also, is anyone ready for a stupid theory? Zoro's not blind in that eye, he's just undergoing some training that Rayleigh did too. That's why they have matching scars.

We've already floated around a LOT of stupid theories about his eye; ranging from it just being missing, to keeping it closed for night vision, all the way up to some crazy Sharingan poo poo.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
:zoro: They look like jellyfish.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
"I want to die staring at the mermaids in a disgusting way!"

If they ever make a talking Sanji doll this needs to be one of its lines.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

OrangeGuy posted:

But how else would we know that Nami is fixing her bikini top? :ohdear:

At the current progression of her clothes getting less and less covering I imagine sometime around when we next run into Blackbeard she'll be topless anyway, so by then it won't matter.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

RyanManRules posted:

Quick little de-rail for a second. The girlfriend and I are currently working our way through the series, (second time for me, loving every minute of it.) I was wondering would she be missing a whole bunch by watching the 8th movie for Alabasta, and the 9th movie for Drum Island? Even though I pretty much assume the answer is to watch the regular series if you want to get the full feel, then watch the movies. I've seen the 9th movie and it's pretty spot on for for the arc.

Well the 9th movie includes an additional villain and it shows Robin and Franky as existing crew members. Also you lose Vivi. So while you'd get the general understanding of what it was about you'd have to explain who the additional characters are. As for the 8th film... I really suggest just watching the series. You'll miss Ace's first appearance for goodness sake!

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Anyone seen the OVA with different animation and voice actors? I'm shocked by how unavailable it is.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

1) I hope it's not another 3D computer generated film.

2) I hope it's set post time skip.

3) I hope it has manga tie ins like Strong World.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

OrangeGuy posted:

I'd say Luffy is living the dream too. He wants to find One Piece and become the Pirate King, sure, but it's the adventure in pursuing those objectives that he lives for.

Sure, otherwise he'd just load up on a thousand gun-toting assholes to be his crew, avoid islands all together, and head in a straight line. Instead he picks people who appeal to him, picks fights with everyone who looks like they could level a mountain with a punch, and sets route to every stupid location no one else would bother with.

Liked the scene in the new episode where Luffy punches three fishmen so fast that his hand seemingly never moves. The fight scenes are why I watch the series. Yeah the manga's awesome, but you just can't get a feel for how stupidly awesome some of the moves these guys make are in a single panel vs. animated.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

KoB posted:

I dont think anyone has mapped the Grand Line before, so knowing the direction youre going wouldnt help if there werent island for thousands of miles. Thats sorta part Nami's dream.

Plus it's been said that mapping it is impossible. The weather is insane, compasses don't work, currents change constantly, and whole islands shift around. Otherwise everyone would already have a map. Plus when you consider that the crew is just heading in a line it doesn't seem like Nami can really map all that much, but luckily for her this is One Piece and she'll succeed.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

DrakePegasus posted:

Also, there's a fairly high chance their Log Pose is the same one Roger used, since it was given to them by Dr, Krokus. So there's actually a sensible reason why they're literally following in Roger's footsteps! Odaaaaaaaa

I'm not sure about that. Roger would have been coming from East Blue anyway, so maybe it's only natural that they've shared a couple destinations, and the only places I'm aware of is Skypia and Water 7. Although it seems more likely that he didn't go to Skypia on his first pass, but rather came back that way since he'd seemingly mastered his Haki by then. Plus Roger would have had to travel to Krokus and then travel to turn himself in, so he would have needed a log pose.

But of course this is One Piece, so you'll probably end up being right.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Kingnothing posted:

My guess is that someone like Roger surpassed the need for a log pose once he reached one piece.

Or he dropped it off on his way to Logue town, as Krokus is right before it in the order of things.

It's hard to say if Haki could be used to the point of sensing where things are from a hundred miles away like that, but then again it's been established that Roger had some sort of sixth-sense when it came to poo poo like that.

Also if he went from Krokus to Logue Town then that would mean he went backwards up reverse mountain. That just seems funny somehow.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

lordfrikk posted:

He did? Was that in anime, because I can't remember.

I mean like how on Skypia he could read the glyphs because he could "hear the voice of all things".

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Gyges posted:

Additionally Whitebeard in his Prime couldn't kick his rear end, and Leo, who was apparently super badass, got beat by him.

Yeah, he smacked down Shiki along with his 51 vessels full of crews powerful enough to exist in the new world, and Roger only had one ship. Plus Roger also slaughtered Squardo's crew... I don't know how powerful they were though.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

tsob posted:

Who?

The name doesn't seem familiar, and googling "One Piece Leo", all I'm seeing is a wikia entry for a fillar character from Loguetown.

Shiki, from movie 10. It's cannon because Oda included it into the manga.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

tsob posted:

Why would they work any differently underwater than on the surface of the water? Even then, oars and paddles only do any work when they're under the surface of the water, so it's basically exactly the same thing. Sails would still work as well I would imagine, given that the water currents would push against them and create pressure, thus moving them forward. Turn sail to dictate direction. Trim for speed etc. I'm sure there are more efficent methods of travelling underwater, but I can't see why any of those methods wouldn't generate propulsion for some reason.

Think about it this way. The paddle is spinning in a circle. Half of the paddle is in the water; this is the part pushing the boat along. Now imagine if the top half that were spinning in the opposite direction were also in the water. Suddenly the paddle is gaining resistance in two directions rather than one, so you're effectively becoming stationary, or (worse) will be causing the whole boat to begin spinning in circles.

Oars work about the same way. You'd be gaining resistance with all movement, so you'd be going nowhere. Unless the oars were tremendously thin, and turned on their side when pulling back to significantly decrease resistance... But this would still be quite silly and difficult.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Anyone else as unimpressed with Neptune's voice as I am? I think this is the first case of honest disappointment I've had with the voice work.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
The whole Neptune saying his name and "Jamon" is irritating as hell... Was this just translated out of the manga or something?

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Shadow0 posted:

Oh, no, I noticed. Whenever I get the chance, I complain how the old Nami looked so much better.

Also, as soon as Luffy went in and started bouncing around on a mysterious boob-shaped substance, I knew what was coming. Oda really had no where to go except to make them big enough to walk on. Robin and Nami are on their way.

Well since we know Robin can create large portions of her body (aka. the giant arm forcing the ship away from the reef), this could come up... In Robin's case most likely as a weapon.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
They're honestly doing a fantastic job of making the Princess absolutely unlikable. The voice, the whining... Everything clicks so perfectly with the manga.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
That poor drat shark. I like how the princess goes from being like fifty times the sharks size to fitting in his mouth.

Also "HOW CAN I COOK FOR THE PRINCESS IS MY HANDS ARE HANDCUFFED!" Everything Sanji says lately is gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Nechronic posted:

Today's episode: "Hordy's Onslaught! The Retaliatory Plan Set Into Motion!"

http://www.onepieceofficial.com/videos.aspx?v=8178

Not really a lot happening here. At least now we know Franky's ancestors were obviously robots.

NO! They were merely robotic men.

Also something seems to be lost in translation after Franky pops out his hair and says that he's merely a pervert.