Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Suspicious Lump posted:

How's Usopp in the manga compared to the anime? I feel like they're exaggerating him in the anime, any given chance he is wailing

Sucks about the same, though I'm sure the anime adds in 2-3 minutes of cowering when stretching out a chapter to a full episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
She'd be a pretty great Impel Down warden. Generally those are all horrible people who the world wouldn't be worse off forgetting.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Well, the pacing will certainly be much better in the marathon.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I read this thread a few hours before I caught up on the Manga thread. Low hanging jokes seen unrelatedly.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Luffy was on a totally different island than either of those two islands, one that was in the calm belt. Also the island seemed to have gone through at least a couple rise and falls of civilization, so he was fighting a super planet of the apes King Kong by way of old school Conan the Barbarian comic ancient jungle gorilla.

I do like that his answer is to just punch it with a bigger fist though. It's the simple things that make up Luffy's repertoire.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shadow0 posted:

This sentence took me like 20 reads to parse.

Sorry. The Ape Luffy was talking to Raleigh about was like

plus

plus

plus

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shadow0 posted:

Apparently Jonny and that other guy are just living on Nami's island now. For a very long time, I thought they'd make another appearance. I guess there's a lot of things expanded on in the manga that don't make it into the anime. Which seems like it would be a better way to pad out the episodes, but I guess it would require more work to do.

They actually did do a couple arcs from the cover page stories, which is what usually fills in what's going on with the rest of the world. They did Coby and Helmeppo joining up with Garp while Morgan escaped, and they did the adventures of Buggy after Luffy bazookad him off the island without half his body parts.

For some reason they felt the cover arcs were bad for ratings. Then years later they gave up all pretense of giving a poo poo and went to padding out chapters so they fill an episode, because gently caress you you're going to watch anyway. So they don't give a poo poo now, but still don't want to use actual cover arcs to pad things out while maintaining a reasonable pace.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Everyone's backstory when presented is the worst. Just wait, every time you learn about the history of the world of One Piece you will be saddened and horrified.

Zoro: My buddy died when we were kids.

Usopp: My father abandoned us and then my mom died waiting for him to return.

Sanji: I'm some manner of orphan who was shipwrecked as a young boy on a deserted island with a pirate. We literally nearly starved to death.

Nami: My adoptive mother who found me on a battlefield died because she couldn't pay the ransom money a giant monster man demanded. Then the monster man forced me to join his crew.

Chopper: I was shunned as a fawn due to having a blue nose. Then I accidentally ate a Devil Fruit and was driven from my herd. Alone, I tried to contact humans but was driven off and treated as a monster. Finally I was adopted by a kooky but kind doctor, who I accidentally poisoned and then watched him blow himself up so that I wouldn't be the cause of his death.

Of course as of right now, Trafalgar D. Law has the backstory so dark that it's going to be tough to top for anyone.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 17, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Most people seem to really like the post Skypiea arc at a Marine base, but you're good skipping all the filler.

The only filler I feel like it's worth watching are the tie ins for Strong World and Film Z.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

OldTennisCourt posted:

So I'm REALLY digging the Funimation dub and going along with it. Is the anime worth watching all the way through, or does it turn to poo poo at a certain point?

It falls off in stages.
  • You can watch all the way through Water 7 with no issues.

• Enis Lobby: You run into clear issues due to the anime catching up with the manga, so you get several episodes of flashbacks and filler literally mid jump, but after that jump the rest of the arc is fine.

• Thriller Bark: Starts to pad things out, but it's generally not a problem and most people have no serious complaints about the arc's adaptation.

• Sabaody Archipelago: The seams are really noticeable, but tolerable. I think this is the first arc they use some of the fluid motion animation style that some people hate. This arc does contain one of the last and best moments where even if you read the manga you gotta see it animated.

• Amazon Lilly: Another step down and where a whole lot of people get real annoyed with the anime. Tolerable, and the majority of people keep on trucking through the anime still.

• Impel Down: Another step down, but if you weren't put off by Amazon Lilly you're probably going to stick around through this arc. The quality of the arc's story really does the heavy lifting.

• Marineford: The final straw for the majority of people who drop the anime. Anime only viewers may believe the island of Marineford to be at least the size of Greece due to the marathon of running added in for padding. Also repetitive name yelling and the introduction of the trend of passing by obvious points where filler would be fine within the story itself(side fights, extended fights, etc) for dumb padding that is obvious and bad. Gotta get them reaction shots long enough for Helen Keller to grasp them.

• 3D2Y through Fishman Island: Half a step from the final quality drop. Introduction of some fan loved side characters and a couple cool things. Also the introduction of Toei straight up giving negative fucks as the anime frequently misses the whole drat point. Changing things to make them appear more challenging or adding things in that completely change the motivation of characters in a frustratingly detrimental way.

• Punk Hazard and beyond: If you're still watching, Toei knows you're going to keep watching, so gently caress it. Gonna do the bare minimum because gently caress you, you'll keep watching anyway. Full blown missing the point and not giving a poo poo. If you're still anime only at this point you are just burning through accumulated bad karma, but good on you. Toei finds a way to turn the boss battle in Punk Hazard into a loving beam battle despite neither of the people involved having anything approaching beam powers. Adherence to the manga is just a hair above secondary to padding this poo poo out. Most people just check in to see cool moments hopefully not get ruined by the animation team.

• Movie Tie In Arcs: I generally like them, some people don't. Probably depends most on how you like the movie they tie into. Do yourself a favor and watch the Film Z tie in for a Mini-Mini Devil Fruit eating giant and Alpacacino, a bazzoka that ate the Alpaca Devil Fruit.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Luffy is more or less immune to poison due to developing antibodies for virtually all poisons after Impel Down. If he'd eaten the "normal" dose of a sliver of the fish he would have been ok, however he ate a Luffy portion, i.e. the whole drat thing.

Sort of like if your immune system was strong enough to never again catch the flu, and then you chugged a 50 gallon barrel of pure bird flu. You're going to get the flu.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Larryb posted:

That's what I figured, when's the best place to watch Strong World? After Thriller Bark or after the little mini-arc later on that ties directly into it? If it's the former, then is there a similar case for Z as well?

just watch the mini filler arcs and then watch the movies. I think there's only anime tie in filler for Strong World, Z, and Gold though.

Also watch the Baron Omotsuri right now, because it's the best One Piece movie by far.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

punk rebel ecks posted:

The singing is good but everything else is bad.

I know you're not talking poo poo about dub Brook.

The only dub voice that isn't even in the same ballpark as the original is Franky. Because there's no way to be anywhere near as good as the original.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Larryb posted:

Didn't Oda admit once that he doesn't have a real plan for the series and just kind of makes stuff up as he goes along? Also, I'm not caught up yet but has the manga shown any signs of getting even close to a conclusion at this point (I know they've at least reached the Grand Line by now)?

Oda had the outline for where the series was going from the beginning. He just structured it in such a way that he's also been able to add poo poo along the way that he thinks up or that his editors suggest. You may be thinking of Dragon Ball where Toriyama has gone on record that he flew by the seat of his pants the whole way.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kild posted:

Yeah he had an outline of everything from the get-go but he's good enough and the outline is flexible enough to alterations like adding all the supernovas.

I do wonder which characters were originally supposed to play the role that someone like Law or Bege took in the original outline.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

EmmyOk posted:

I think Law always existed but not the other Supernovas

Which is kind of weird. You'd think if any of them existed before it would be the T-Rex ex-Vice Admiral named Drake.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Blackbeard almost certainly gets beat up before Luffy claims One Piece, which is likely going to be followed by the final arc where the Strawhats fix the problems that arose from the Void Century.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Do they still do the dumb thing in the dub where they refuse to translate any of the text on screen? I've tried watching before and it's infuriating when text appears, is focused on, and is completely untranslated while the dub goes on like you read it. Like Sanji's painted sign drawing attention to his note to Nami in Water 7.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I have a much bigger issue with Robin's plastic surgery addiction than Nami being as she is. Robin didn't just get the standard boob job, she also got a massive nose job, work done on her eyes, and some chin/cheek work.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I did like Robin's sunglasses and sarong.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Truga posted:

I stand by my recommendation of just waiting for one pace episodes. I don't read the manga at all and it's still great.

Huge mistake missing out on the cover arcs.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's very important to cut every corner and minimize every expense with a minimally popular property like One Piece.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shadow0 posted:

It's really hard to keep watching. It's become beyond absurd. The scales are always increasing. All characters are capable of casually terraforming with their fists, but it's not interesting. I just really hope the series ends soon. It's really lost the magic it once had.

Sorry, Toei are foul sorcerers who shall never let it end. Your only hope is to stop watching and read the manga, which you probably should have done years ago.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Additionally it is worth remembering that Whitebeard was basically already on his deathbed when he went to Marineford and we haven't seen Shanks get scratched since he was revealed as an Emperor. Also we know Shanks can at least stop Kaido and show up a few hours later like nothing happened.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 27, 2019

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I mean since he was revealed to be an emperor to the viewer/reader. From The moment he had his mini-drinking contest with Whitebeard, not a single scratch.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheLoneStar posted:

What about Blackbeard, then? Went from a nobody to an Emperor in two years, and he's easily the most fragile one of them all and there's a 99% chance he'll be the final boss of the series.

Don't know how fragile he is considering all the damage he's tanked. He just cries about it way more than even Usopp.

Brother Entropy posted:

one piece titles aren't dbz power levels, some emperors are stronger than others depending on what their role in luffy's narrative is

this isn't complicated

Ha, you think this is Luffy's story. There's only one character that's seen it all.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 28, 2019

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Untold filler resulting in terrible pacing is no reason to stop the show. But a marathon? Gonna hold up on running this into the ground out of respect for ancient Greek messengers.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tolth posted:

Speak for yourself, many of us have been loyal to the Pirate Rap all along.

It's no Bink's Sake, but I liked it even when I wouldn't give One Piece a chance due to the cartoony art style and everyone armed with super soakers.

Which is weird because in retrospect Vegapunk developed water guns would probably be decent weapons in One Piece.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's kind of weird how One Piece is tailor made for random filler media tie ins. Like, I can't think of any other work where it's entirely consistent with canon for a random brother/childhood friend/sister/whatever to just show up for the main character with no previous mention or hint.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Seems weird to refer to an animation sequence as single cut.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I do hope the Live Action somehow makes it to Sabaody just so we have 3 awesome versions of Charlos getting his face wrecked.

It's kind of funny that with all the top notch antagonists in the series, some tertiary shithead is still the most satisfying punch in the whole thing.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

mabels big day posted:

Anime please just write a filler arc. We already know they arent at least going into the next arc based on the released episode titles but i mean come on. I promise we wont make fun of you for doing filler its better than every 3 weeks having recap. Theres so many filler episode concepts you could do in wano post-kaido fight

Limp to the end of Wano, then the next week transition into weekly episodes of One Piece: Kai. No limits on how many chapters are covered in an episode, leave it up to the animators and watch it fly. Use the excuse that you're trying to do a tie in with Netflix's Live Action if you have to justify it to the idiotic executives.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

dipwood posted:

Is this whole show just thinly-veiled eating fetish?

It's a meticulously crafted fetish monolith, op. No matter what you kink, it's there and it's proud.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

scary ghost dog posted:

i think the closest the anime has ever been to the manga was when skypiea ended, which is probably why they added an additional davy back fight

They caught up in Eneis Lobby, which is why all the filler got thrown in mid Puffing Tom jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shadow0 posted:

Luffy, y-, you could have just brought Sentomaru with... CP-0 were absolutely losing. You had every advantage. You routinely grab and bring people places. Why'd you just leave him to die and all the Seraphim to switch sides to them?

Should have looked weird or given him food if he wanted that random save.