Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

DrakePegasus posted:

Also, there's a fairly high chance their Log Pose is the same one Roger used, since it was given to them by Dr, Krokus. So there's actually a sensible reason why they're literally following in Roger's footsteps! Odaaaaaaaa

Wasn't that log pose left at Little Garden (or maybe even destroyed) since it would have needed a year to reset? I know they got from LG to Alabasta using a special log pose, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Kingnothing posted:

A. We don't know how long Roger was at Little Garden (if we even was). We don't know how long his journey lasted so he very likely could have been there a year (or never there at all).

B. It's not like you lose the log pose if you take an eternal pose to get off Little Garden. Your pose just gets reset at the next island.

No idea what point you're trying to make with A.

And yes I know the log pose would reset at the next island, but could have sworn the log pose they got from Crocus was smashed or lost at some point. Perhaps not.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

socialsecurity posted:

Despite crappy ads and lesser then desired resolution I feel it important that we support the official stream as much as possible, as the reasons for anime-fansubbing has always been "not available in my country and if it is it's too late" now they are finally giving us the show the same time it airs in Japan subtitled and for free, if we continue to pirate the show at that point then we are just being dicks.

That's a lovely sentiment but the US and Japan only make up a small fraction of the world.

Primoman posted:

Are we allowed to discuss fansub groups? This is a licensed show, but it's also in regards to episodes that won't see distribution for years from now.

This should answer your question:

The ADTRW Rules posted:

No torrents or direct links to material you can either purchase in the US or see on US TV.
This means that it's ok to have links to anime and manga that is out in Japan right now, but remove your links and don't post new ones once you can get the title in the US. You will be banned if you post links to stuff available in the US. If there is a special case where, for instance, you have an ancient VHS copy of a show that will never again see the light of day, ask a mod first. Please note that this does include online streaming of shows!

In summary, it's ok to talk about fansub groups so long as we don't post links.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Episode 540 is up.

http://onepieceofficial.com/videos.aspx

Looks like it is about Tiger Fisher FROG? NO HIPPO.

Wearing that to go see the king.. he is a true gangsta.

Yes, it's been up for almost a week now...

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Toward the end of Bleach I discovered you could run the episodes at double speed and not really lose out on anything. I should be doing the same for One Piece - this padding is getting downright painful.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

lordfrikk posted:

Is it just me or did the opening and recap bullshit took like 40% of the last episode? I started watching and suddenly there comes the mid-episode marker...

6 mins of a 23 minute episode... but that's fairly normal now.

I'm so glad they used that particular bit of music for the final scene - I've loved it ever since its first, memorable use in the Arlong arc. I can't remember the last time they used it in the anime.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

KoB posted:

Im pretty sure we're not supposed to discuss subs since its freely available in the US and the forums are US based.

Unless the rules have changed recently, talking is fine, linking is not.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

lordfrikk posted:

Haha my thoughts exactly. Hopefully this is the last of her.

Unless she joins the crew.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
I've been burned by malware-infected ads too often. I'd rather pay a subscription than put my computer at risk by exposing it to ads.

Edit: Not that this situation applies directly to me anyway since neither Hulu nor Funimation stream their content to Australia.

jassa fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 3, 2013

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Shadow0 posted:

I think that may have been the point of the part where Caesar didn't do anything because he didn't hear and then Law looking like he had an idea, but knowing anime-writing, they're probably going to never use this fact.

Between that and the scene where he used the rampaging Luffy to destroy the platform, Law seemed to spend the episode testing the limits of the Pet-Pet fruit. They seem to have complete free will until instructed otherwise. I'm guessing Law teleported both himself and Luffy to safety before they hit the water.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Jimbot posted:

I forgot about this. This was really awesome. On a related note: for those who read the manga, has that happened yet in the anime? Or haven't they gotten to that point yet?

How about asking this question in the manga thread instead, so the anime-only people don't end up being potentially spoiled?

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Shadow0 posted:

Regarding the lastest episode (lots of thoughts): I was really hoping Ussop would actually do something... Especially because everyone had so much faith in him. I don't know if it was to pad the anime or something, but it's insane how much encouragement he needed to do something so critical. And they didn't even show the fight. And if Ussop could have surprised Trebol enough to cut him, why didn't he just aim at Sugar? Or use fire? Also what happens when she sleeps at night? Is this why they return to the Toy House every night? And why does Soldier-san follow that order? Isn't he wanted for stealing the king etc? And I know Sugar fell unconscious right after (for no good reason [what was she expecting would happen?!]), but she touched Ussop. I kind of wanted to see his toy form. At least SOP is finally over so stuff can happen maybe.

The fight played out similarly to how it was presented in the manga - mostly offscreen. As for the use of fire, presumably Trebol can choose whether his slime is flammable or not (like Caeser Clown with his gas).

The toys stay toys 24/7. Sugar doesn't lose control over them when she sleeps, only when she's violently forced into unconciousness. It's not like this is the first time something like this has been shown - look at Moira for example.

Kyros/Soldier doesn't return to the Toy House each night, because he didn't get the contract "obey us, don't harm us, etc". He's a fugitive toy though, as seen when he's introduced.

Sugar touched Usopp but wasn't actively using her power at the time. She just wanted to force him to swallow the "poisoned" grape, expecting him to die/pass out. She didn't know it was super hot, and certainly wasn't expecting Usopp's horrifically violent reaction face. She was scared shitless by that, hence fainting from shock.

And yes, stuff can happen now. :)

jassa fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 28, 2014

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Senor Candle posted:

There's a part of me that wishes 4Kids had been able to keep going just to see what they would come up with for some of the later stuff.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Shadow0 posted:

Urouge confused me. There are multiple Sky Islands? Also no one believed Luffy before about Sky Island and that was a pretty big plot point, but now there's a Sky Islander and he's just whatever to everyone?
Side note: Can that guy even go home anymore (not that pirates do but)? If he takes the Knock-Up Stream, how does one travel between sky islands?
Come to think of it, is there an exit to the Grand Line? Could Luffy (without the new Navy ships) go back to East Blue?

Most regular, average citizens only know a fraction of what's possible on the Grand Line (even moreso in the New World). Most people probably assume Urouge is a devil fruit user or wears fake wings for some reason. There are plenty of weirder people around.

The Knock-Up Stream is the most suicidal way to enter Skypeia. They mention during the arc that there are much easier ways to get there but I believe they're under the WG's control.

Nope, aside from seastone-coated ships there's no obvious way to sail out of the GL. Perhaps there's a giant catapult on Raftel - or a secret way to exit via Reverse Mountain. Hopefully we find out eventually... another decade or two from now.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Shadow0 posted:

I saw Gear Fourth a couple of times as YouTube previews and such because of the manga people, but ignored it as dumb fan art like SSJ5 and 6 crap. Oda really seems to think air has some magic effect on rubber anatomy. I always thought that a more plausible technique to use with Gear Third would be to use the force all the built-up air somewhere in his body like his arm or whatever, building a tremendous amount of surface tension, and then forcing it all to another part quickly to rapidly stretch out for a punch or kick.
I really like his design, especially his kabuki face.
It certainly didn't have that first-time-Gear-Second feel, but it was still cool. I like that it seems we'll finally be getting more info on these fruits.
I like that he says it's not Gear Second or Third, but it basically is. Could he combine them?

Spoiler for something that'll be explained in the next couple of episodes: Gear Fourth is basically Luffy blowing up his muscles like a balloon and using Colour of Armour Haki in an unorthodox way, to manipulate and harden his rubbery muscles (and body in general I guess).

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

For whatever reason, the animators like to add in filler to make everything look like a struggle when in the manga it was a complete smack down, which sort of ruins the point. Also, the animation at times was completely lazy, like Doflamingo being stock still when falling down.

I actually thought it was still a bit of a struggle in the manga (mostly due to the look of exertion/effort on Luffy's face during his closeup as his attack collided with Doffy's) but I can definitely see how most people read it as a smackdown.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Kingnothing posted:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-06-05/one-piece-anime-reveals-zou-arc-visual-more-details-for-silver-mine-arc/.102888

Woah, we're finally getting a filler arc so they can back off Oda a bit. Maybe the pacing will get a little less lovely after this.

I expect it'll be a fairly short arc since it's a film tie-in. We'd need a 30+ episode arc to have any real impact on the pacing of the anime.

With that said, the upcoming non-filler arc is much better paced in the manga than Dressrosa was, so that's something.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Ready to have your mind blown even more? We may have encountered a Mink (or half-Mink) as early as the Usopp intro arc.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Tir McDohl posted:

As of the latest episode, where they very quickly (thankfully) recapped the entire New World arc to this point, I think they've run out of stuff to recap. Except like, Skypiea and Thriller Bark.

This episode was actually the most lazy, since they did not need to reanimate anything in it.

Wano's definitely starting within a handful of episodes.

I don't think they reanimated anything for the recaps - there have been a bunch of "special episodes" (generally much longer than a typical episode) which re-tell the earlier arcs with more updated/better quality animation.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
I don't think y'all should get your hopes up for Netflix being the place to get new episodes of One Piece first. That's not typically how it works out when they license ongoing shows.

Shadow0 posted:

I planned to just let the episodes pile up during the pandemic, but when I finally decided to check, only one got released. :sigh: Oh well, hopefully everyone was safe.

I saw the episode preview for the next one and sigh... :cripes: Hopefully it's a quick scene and not 90% of the episode.

Why would you not want Luffy and Hyo to spend 90% of the episode fighting? That sounds like fun times!

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Suspicious Lump posted:

Unpopular opinion?

Kaido's reveal in Episode ~912 where he turns into a blue dragon is super dumb. He's untransformed self is much scarier and downright frightening.

Is it a nod to the green dragon in dragon ball Z?

Why does the colour matter at all?

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

its christmas you dweebs

Yeah, it's likely just to give all parties involved a bit of breathing room over the holiday break.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
We saw in Zou he has some ability to use the voice of all things, and he has been getting better at pushing past his fear & PTSD to inspire & motivate his people.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Toei's been hacked, the anime will be on an unplanned break in April after ep 1016 airs.

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1502167870452613124

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Zark the Damned posted:

IIRC the pacing towards the start of One Piece was decent because they had a backlog of chapters to animate, so they got a couple of chapters animated each episode (which afaik is pretty standard for shonen adaptions). However since it's been weekly for like forever it caught up and they had to slow down and add a bunch of filler so we're currently at something like 1.5-2 episodes per chapter instead. Plus they want a big buffer in case Oda explodes like Yoshihiro.

I think the next episode works out to be roughly chapter 1000 so even at the current rate (ignoring the hiatus) we'd be waiting til next year to catch up with current events (chapter 1044).

Their average has been one chapter per episode for a loooong time now. Possibly over a decade.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
I expect there'll be a couple of episodes of movie tie-in filler coming up soon anyway.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Yeah frames like this are cool and all, but they're hidden easter eggs. They don't actually improve the episode for the 99% of viewers who never see them.

On a related note, I don't know why the current animation team seems so averse to lingering on cool moments these days. Of all the cinema sins committed by the One Piece anime, temporarily slowing/pausing during an action scene has always been one of the more welcome ones.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
The return of the ED just means the OP is back to being shorter now. It doesn't really affect how much new content is in each episode.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
The Kozuki clan (Oden's family) can read and write on the poneglyphs, and were in fact the people who made them in the first place. They're the only people in the world who can leave a mark on these giant, indestructible blocks of stone.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
I'm curious, how many chapters do anime-only folks think were adapted for that episode?

The answer is less than two-thirds. Ten pages from ch 1060, and two pages from ch 1061. The average chapter is 18-19 pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Meowywitch posted:

no, it's giant/tess fetish

It can be both. Remember the movie tie-in filler where Luffy ate a living, breathing giant?