Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

poo poo, so many posts here today I thought there was a major release :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

This is a super dumb question, but I've been poking around for a while and haven't found any option to get rid of this. I'm using the basic program with just Columns UI, and in the main play window there are blue titles above every song. I was running a really old version of foobar until recently that didn't have these titles, and was wondering how do I get rid of them.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Add the whole cd to "Various Artists" or some poo poo and it'll group it that way.

Like to the Album Artist tag.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Ah, so there is no way to get rid of the titles? It kind of sucks when I'm just listening to a bunch of random songs and my playlist looks like a jumbled mess.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Ah, so there is no way to get rid of the titles? It kind of sucks when I'm just listening to a bunch of random songs and my playlist looks like a jumbled mess.

My playlist doesn't have them, but I don't know offhand what, if anything, I did to get rid of them. I don't recall having to turn them off.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

If you're using Columns UI them titles are the result of what you have in -

-Preferences
---Display
----Columns UI
-----Playlist View
--------Grouping

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Zyklon's using default ui, so the way to remove the group headers entirely is to right-click on the playlist header (the Artist | Title | Album | etc top bit) and choose Groups -> None.

In the preferences, drill down to Playlist View and you make custom column and group entries. In that screenshot, "Albums + Singles" is a simple custom group I made, which puts files with blank tracknumber tags in a generic artist group, so they don't make as much clutter. It's not hard to make a layout that shows you what you want with just basic knowledge of tagz code. (As opposed to columnsUI, which is way more powerful but not very intuitive.)

Guerrand
Mar 12, 2006

RING RING RING RING RING RING
Not only did Zyklon specifically mention Columns, the presence of the double-height statusbar shows that he really is using Columns with NGPlaylist.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Ah thanks guys, the grouping thing did it. I feel retarded trying to mess around with foobar and am amazed I can get it working at all any time I have to re-install it. It's such an awesome player though I should try and dig down deeper into customizing it.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
Stumbled on this old photo.

I had FB2k on my iPod set up as a portable and had the library set to the ipodcontrol folder so it would automatically sort all the music on my iPod. I should do that again with my Android phone.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Illuminado posted:

I had FB2k on my iPod set up as a portable and had the library set to the ipodcontrol folder so it would automatically sort all the music on my iPod. I should do that again with my Android phone.

:aaa: Brilliant!

Dance The Mutation
Jul 27, 2011
I recently did the "reverse switch" of going from Mac to Windows. While I love Mac OS, I can't really afford to buy a brand new Mac compared to the much cheaper Windows machines. Anyways, I feel like iTunes on Windows just kind of sucks compared to the Mac version. I want to make the switch to foobar but I have 55GB of PERFECTLY organized music on iTunes. I'm talking comments, genre, album art, year, country, title, album, etc. (I'm a "music lover" heh) I have all that for my music and I don't want to lose it. When I loaded all my music into foobar, it seemed to just use the id3 tags? I wasn't sure but it was an unorganized mess. I really want to make the switch to foobar but I want to take all my work on organizing my music with me. Is there a way to basically export the iTunes library .xml file so that it organizes my foobar music accordingly?

scaevola
Jan 25, 2011

Dance The Mutation posted:

I recently did the "reverse switch" of going from Mac to Windows. While I love Mac OS, I can't really afford to buy a brand new Mac compared to the much cheaper Windows machines. Anyways, I feel like iTunes on Windows just kind of sucks compared to the Mac version. I want to make the switch to foobar but I have 55GB of PERFECTLY organized music on iTunes. I'm talking comments, genre, album art, year, country, title, album, etc. (I'm a "music lover" heh) I have all that for my music and I don't want to lose it. When I loaded all my music into foobar, it seemed to just use the id3 tags? I wasn't sure but it was an unorganized mess. I really want to make the switch to foobar but I want to take all my work on organizing my music with me. Is there a way to basically export the iTunes library .xml file so that it organizes my foobar music accordingly?

I know this isn't very helpful, but I think you'd have more luck if you ask the reverse question: How can you make iTunes export that information to the id3 tags?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Illuminado posted:

Okay, so I'm trying this out, and I've got two questions:
  • Is there any way either to let Foobar see hidden files or to prevent iTunes from setting the ipodcontrol folder to hidden?

• Is there a good way to exclude stuff like podcasts and audiobooks from the library?

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Toast Museum posted:

Okay, so I'm trying this out, and I've got two questions:
  • Is there any way either to let Foobar see hidden files or to prevent iTunes from setting the ipodcontrol folder to hidden?

• Is there a good way to exclude stuff like podcasts and audiobooks from the library?

Ok, so I'll assume you've enabled disk mode on your iPod. From here open up Windows Explorer, go to Tools > Folder Options > View.

Find the option that says "Hidden Files and Folders"
o Do not show hidden files and folders.
o Show hidden files and folders.

Check the Second one.

Now when you go to add files to your library (MAKE SURE YOU'VE INSTALLED IT IN PORTABLE MODE!) You go to your iPod, .ipodcontrol and it should populate with all the files on your iPod. I had issues on several computers where that didn't work and I had to add EVERY SINGLE folder inside of iPod Control, that sucked, but was worth it because I had no problems after that and only had to do it once.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I know how to show hidden files and remove the hidden attribute. The problem is that iTunes reapplies the attribute, and Foobar won't include hidden files in its library. The best solution I can think of at the moment is to make a batch file that removes the attribute after starting Foobar. The downside is that it'll take longer for the library to populate.

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?
Mine is nice and small since I sometimes use it on my netbook via remote desktop and I like it when it looks exactly the same between computers:

The left column in the top part abbreviates all the words in an artist's name that start after the 6th character, which was the smartest way I could think of to get the text never to be too long to fit in the column. I haven't done the same with album names yet because I don't know how to get them ordered chronologically without keeping the year and date in there.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Toast Museum posted:

I know how to show hidden files and remove the hidden attribute. The problem is that iTunes reapplies the attribute, and Foobar won't include hidden files in its library. The best solution I can think of at the moment is to make a batch file that removes the attribute after starting Foobar. The downside is that it'll take longer for the library to populate.

Ah, you have to kill all the Apple Services associated with iTunes. Iirc, that's bonjour, applemobiledevice, and iTunes. Also make sure you don't have iTunes set to launch automatically.

Didn't mean to sound condescending, I didn't have iTunes installed on the main computer I was using this on (See: Work Computer).

Edit: I'm not sure how to exclude Audio Books if they're coded properly other than a very painstaking use of playlists. And as for Podcasts, some of the ones I listened to were id3 tagged and some weren't. If they are, then they'll obviously show up, if they aren't they'll be under "Unknown Artist" as ETGX.mp3, etc.

Illuminado fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 24, 2011

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Dance The Mutation posted:

Check the properties for one of those files inside foobar2000. I know iTunes likes to put its tags in an ITUNES_whatever custom tag instead of the actual id3v2 tag. Then it's just a matter of highlighting everything, going to the properties, and copy/paste the iTunes field into the right field.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Illuminado posted:

Ah, you have to kill all the Apple Services associated with iTunes. Iirc, that's bonjour, applemobiledevice, and iTunes. Also make sure you don't have iTunes set to launch automatically.

For now, at least, I'm still using iTunes to add content to my iPod, and I'd like to maintain the option to use it alongside the portable Foobar. It seems like the batch I mentioned earlier might be the easiest way to get what I'm after. I can't think of many situations where I'd want to run Foobar portable but wouldn't have time to wait a moment for the list to populate. Thanks for the suggestions, though!

As for the podcast/audiobook issue, it looks like I can filter them out with Facets if I can get the syntax right.

Semi-related: Foobar portable with the file operations feature installed is a pretty good way to copy tracks from an iPod to somewhere else. The filenames are gibberish, but fortunately a portable version of MP3tag is in the works.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Toast Museum posted:

Semi-related: Foobar portable with the file operations feature installed is a pretty good way to copy tracks from an iPod to somewhere else. The filenames are gibberish, but fortunately a portable version of MP3tag is in the works.

I was under the impression of it doing horrible things if you take it to say... a friends and either have to swap their drive letters around or it completely breaks your library.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Illuminado posted:

I was under the impression of it doing horrible things if you take it to say... a friends and either have to swap their drive letters around or it completely breaks your library.

What, Foobar portable? I've only tested it on my desktop and laptop, but it was fine with being assigned a different drive letter. The library path is relative.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Klyith posted:

Banned because of SDK license violations.

Fixed that for you.

Although maybe it could be unbanned and even placed on the official site if it stopped doing things that aren't possible through public programming interfaces exposed by either the affected components or by the player SDK. Grabbing the user interface window handle and manipulating it with Win32 API functions is strictly forbidden.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Toast Museum posted:

What, Foobar portable? I've only tested it on my desktop and laptop, but it was fine with being assigned a different drive letter. The library path is relative.

As in that's the difference between portable vs non-portable installation.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Illuminado posted:

As in that's the difference between portable vs non-portable installation.

I feel like I must have misunderstood your earlier post.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
I totally misread that and I shouldn't post when I'm tired. I meant that NON-PORTABLE foobar would break if you tried to use it in a portable sense.

Dance The Mutation
Jul 27, 2011

scaevola posted:

I know this isn't very helpful, but I think you'd have more luck if you ask the reverse question: How can you make iTunes export that information to the id3 tags?

Well, I tried looking this on the internet and couldn't really find the answer. Is this even possible in an automated non-tedious way? I just added more music to iTunes and after doing my sorting on it, iTunes then "forgot" and placed all of the old data back. This is starting to get very frustrating!

pokecapn posted:

Check the properties for one of those files inside foobar2000. I know iTunes likes to put its tags in an ITUNES_whatever custom tag instead of the actual id3v2 tag. Then it's just a matter of highlighting everything, going to the properties, and copy/paste the iTunes field into the right field.

I looked at this in foobar and did not see any additional information.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
foobar2000 no longer displays iTunes internal comment fields in the file properties, because these fields should not be messed with. Especially not the iTunSMPB comment field, because that contains the gapless encoding information from the iTunes encoder, which foobar2000 v1.1.8 and newer support for proper gapless playback.

Bicycle SexFucker
Aug 15, 2007

I have zero interest in marriage.

Toast Museum posted:

For now, at least, I'm still using iTunes to add content to my iPod, and I'd like to maintain the option to use it alongside the portable Foobar. It seems like the batch I mentioned earlier might be the easiest way to get what I'm after. I can't think of many situations where I'd want to run Foobar portable but wouldn't have time to wait a moment for the list to populate. Thanks for the suggestions, though!

As for the podcast/audiobook issue, it looks like I can filter them out with Facets if I can get the syntax right.

Killing Itunes services wont mess with it. Just CTRL Alt Del and kill them or stop them in the services panel. You'd have to do this with every restart though.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Neu posted:

Killing Itunes services wont mess with it. Just CTRL Alt Del and kill them or stop them in the services panel. You'd have to do this with every restart though.

Right, but that method involves eschewing iTunes, which I'm not ready to do just yet.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

The problem with foobar is that it's not iTunes, and it was never meant to be. Moving from iTunes to any other player, especially if you took advantage of iTunes proprietary features will be an exercise in frustration.

The main problems boil down to:

-iTunes is meant to be a media library for all types of media. Foobar is a audio file player. Foobar has no idea what the difference between a podcast, a song and an audio book are, nor does it care.

-iTunes uses a proprietary tagging system that only works in iTunes. Any program that attempts to mess with that can potentially ruin that file. To move to another media player, you need to re-tag with a more open standard.

If you are willing to sit down and re-tag all your files, and realize foobar is not the program to sort your podcasts and audio books, eventually foobar will be the player for you. Until then iTunes is the only program that can do what iTunes does.

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

pokecapn posted:

Foobar's masstagger will save you a lot of typing -- especially "copy/guess/format values between fields."

HKR posted:

-iTunes uses a proprietary tagging system that only works in iTunes. Any program that attempts to mess with that can potentially ruin that file. To move to another media player, you need to re-tag with a more open standard.
It seems to be using ID3v2.3. But maybe it's because I'm going from Foobar to iTunes, not the other way around. (I'm not permanently switching to iTunes.. This is a temporary fix until foo_dop gets updated.)

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

quazi posted:

It seems to be using ID3v2.3. But maybe it's because I'm going from Foobar to iTunes, not the other way around.

Yeah, iTunes uses some proprietary tags, but as far as I know it handles the standard ones normally. I usually tag my stuff with MP3tag, but it doesn't seem to cause any problems when I do make the occasional change with Foobar or iTunes.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Another nod in agreement. I used to have major issues going back and forth between iTunes and Foobar, and my iPod database was always full of broken characters, but everything seems just fine nowadays.

(The broken characters could be fixed by making Foobar use an older ID3V2 version, but everything just seems peachy now.)

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
When I dumped all my iPod music on to my work computer (straight drag and drop, so all the file had meaningless names), I was able to use Tag&Rename to rename all the files and organize them into a meaningful directory structure. I'm guessing this means either Tag&Rename can read the iTunes tags, or iTunes uses standard tags for basic data such as artist, track name and album.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Is there someway to make foo_uie_lyrics3 (Lyrics Show 3) to not be useless? It can never seem to ever find lyrics(I guess all but one of the databases are down at this point?) so it never gives me lyrics. I guess, I need to manually download the lyrics at this point if I want them or what's the best option here as it seems like a neat feature, but completely impossible to use at the moment.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I woke up this morning and everything in my library had double artist tags. "Band Name" became "Band Name, Band Name". I've been using foobar for years and never encountered a problem like this. I installed 1.1.9 beta 1 recently, so maybe that had a bug in it? I noticed there was a new release today, so I installed that. Hopefully it doesn't happen again. Anyone else have this problem? Maybe I shouldn't install beta software

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

iamthejeff posted:

I woke up this morning and everything in my library had double artist tags. "Band Name" became "Band Name, Band Name". I've been using foobar for years and never encountered a problem like this. I installed 1.1.9 beta 1 recently, so maybe that had a bug in it? I noticed there was a new release today, so I installed that. Hopefully it doesn't happen again. Anyone else have this problem? Maybe I shouldn't install beta software

Artist or Album Artist? Check the file properties. If so, it was something that was changed with 1.1.8. It may be fixed by opening a mass file Properties dialog on all affected tracks and formatting the Album Artist field from the string "$meta(album artist,0)".

If that's not it, I don't know what to tell you, although a $meta(field,0) in the same Format from other fields dialog will also remove duplicates from any other meta field.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Master_Odin posted:

Is there someway to make foo_uie_lyrics3 (Lyrics Show 3) to not be useless? It can never seem to ever find lyrics(I guess all but one of the databases are down at this point?) so it never gives me lyrics. I guess, I need to manually download the lyrics at this point if I want them or what's the best option here as it seems like a neat feature, but completely impossible to use at the moment.

Apparently the fuckwit music companies are coming down on lyrics sites hard these days becuase what a disaster it would be if people could see the lyrics of the song they are listening to in text format.

Sites are either disappearing or the lyrics can't be grabbed via an API.

So it isn't that lyrics3 is useless, it's that music companies still don't have any clue in how to not piss off their customers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

ledge posted:

Apparently the fuckwit music companies are coming down on lyrics sites hard these days becuase what a disaster it would be if people could see the lyrics of the song they are listening to in text format.

Sites are either disappearing or the lyrics can't be grabbed via an API.

So it isn't that lyrics3 is useless, it's that music companies still don't have any clue in how to not piss off their customers.
Yeah, that's what I've found. Too bad as after trying to use foo_uie_lyrics(1/2/3) and foo_lyricsgrabber2, it just seems way too much of a hassle to do. What a real hassle of things.

• Locked thread