Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

BANME.sh posted:

foobar has two play modes, random and shuffle. I would assume random is just that, random, which means it could possibly play tracks twice or more. Shuffle is probably what you want. Or you can select your entire playlist and right click and shuffle the order of the songs, then just play through it using the normal play mode.

Neither of the two options do what Master_Odin wants. Shuffle chooses tracks based on a seed that's selected when foobar is launched. Random picks a new seed every time a new track is played.

Essentially, shuffle just plays a playlist whose tracks were chosen randomly at launch. Random does not have a pre-determined playlist. This is why it's possible to go to previous songs and even get repeating orders in Shuffle, but not in Random.

I'd go with either mixing up the playlist and just letting it play through, or just using Shuffle with repeat off. The latter may not always work, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

Neither of the two options do what Master_Odin wants. Shuffle chooses tracks based on a seed that's selected when foobar is launched. Random picks a new seed every time a new track is played.

Essentially, shuffle just plays a playlist whose tracks were chosen randomly at launch. Random does not have a pre-determined playlist. This is why it's possible to go to previous songs and even get repeating orders in Shuffle, but not in Random.

I'd go with either mixing up the playlist and just letting it play through, or just using Shuffle with repeat off. The latter may not always work, though.

Just to clarify a bit more, in shuffle, if you manually select a track to play then after that track plays, play will continue from that tracks position in the playlist.

This means that you can hear repeated orders of tracks. The way around this is to right-click and add to playback queue. This will play the track then resume from where you were avoiding repetition.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ledge posted:

This means that you can hear repeated orders of tracks. The way around this is to right-click and add to playback queue. This will play the track then resume from where you were avoiding repetition.

There's also a "random track" button or menu option you can use. This generates a new seed (i.e. makes a new "shuffle playlist") and does so every time you do it.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Yeah, I primarily use Shuffle (tracks) when using foobar, but it will repeat if left going long enough (as can be easily seen if you make a playlist with two songs, it will keep going after playing both songs). I love using shuffle, I just hate that it repeats, hence asking for if foobar could automatically remove a song from the playlist after playing. That way, I could add more songs to the playlist when it's getting short if I'm just listening to whatever and not aiming for a specific artist or something.

I guess the best option would be to just add to playlist, randomize it, and then just use Default barring what I'm talking about existing.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

The playlist attributes plugin has the option to remove played tracks from a playlist. http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_playlist_attributes

So you could use that.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

ledge posted:

The playlist attributes plugin has the option to remove played tracks from a playlist. http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_playlist_attributes

So you could use that.
This is exactly what I wanted and you're amazing for pointing it out to me. Thanks!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I think maybe I need to try to write my own DACP plugin for foobar, unless I'm being retarded (entirely possible).

What I want to do/did:
I have a premium sub to sky.fm/di.fm for ~~Internet Radio~~. These sit in my foobar as a collection of URLs in a single playlist. foobar plays them great with all the metadata I want without any complaints while I'm at my desktop.

I installed TouchRemote DACP server, because I want to control what I listen to from my iPhone, using the native Remote app. This works great, and I can see all my playlists, and I get album art + metadata for music files just great.

However, for my awesome ~~Internet Radio~~, I only get the static web station title + "Unknown Artist - Unknown Album". I would love to get the real track metadata and send it to my iDevice, if possible.

Any better ways of controlling foobar from an iOS device that gets me all the metadata on the iPhone? If it's a limitation of DACP, maybe it's time to learn iOS coding and do a custom app to control it or something.

tssentry
Aug 23, 2012

You looked, JUNKER!
What lyrics plugin does everyone use? I currently use Lyric Show Panel 3, but it causes foobar to crash every so often and this is apparently a common problem. I've tried some other plugins, but they don't seem to be as reliable at finding lyrics.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I use the same plugin and I have had no issues with it, so I dunno!

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Lyrics 3 seems pretty stable for me as well. Certainly nothing out there as good.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I recently noticed an issue where foobar just decided to...stop reading archives it natively supports. Drag and drop, import, whatever, no dice. I upgraded, still same deal. Create a portable installation? Everything works magically. Maybe it has something to do with foobar being in a protected directory, but I could've sworn that it wasn't an issue before...

tjume
Feb 8, 2009
Hi,
is there a plugin that lets me bookmark a position/time in a track and then let me jump to it later?

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

tjume posted:

Hi,
is there a plugin that lets me bookmark a position/time in a track and then let me jump to it later?

Yep.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=46612&hl=

tjume
Feb 8, 2009
Yay, thanks!

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I downloaded this theme:

http://seaweedponyo.deviantart.com/...age%3A744h&qo=0

However, it doesn't work the way it's setup in the preview (i.e. album cover showing up, only the album title appearing at the right section, etc):

How can I make it work?

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Your best bet would be to ask the person who made the skin via the comments on deviantart.

Radical Polio
Nov 8, 2007

Creatively Bankrupt
(*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*)

VisAbsoluta posted:

I downloaded this theme:

http://seaweedponyo.deviantart.com/...age%3A744h&qo=0

However, it doesn't work the way it's setup in the preview (i.e. album cover showing up, only the album title appearing at the right section, etc):

How can I make it work?

I haven't figured out how to get the album art all nice and big
like the preview for the skin but it's close enough.

Go to Preferences, then select

Check "Display Artwork in Groups"

and since there's no way of getting too foobars preferences from the
main playlist view, I'd suggest adding a shortcut like the last one here:

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Hey, thank you very much for this! It seems like just changing the artwork width to 150px instead of 100px in the parameter that shows in your screenshot was sufficient for making it large, like in the preview. :)

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Nevermind. Just figured it out.

Space Jam fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 26, 2012

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Checked the OP, checked back a few pages, didn't see this brought up so I thought I'd ask;

I'm finally putting up a Dolby 7.1 set up on my computer and was curious if there were any specific plug ins or wrappers/whatever I should do with foobar to get the best sound from it? I've seen this on their website but the last time it was updated was 2010 and I don't know if it's what all the cool kids do these days.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Maybe this?

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=52235

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I have a big playlist that I manually manage, and recently I changed the folder structure of my library using foobar's file operations->move to... function. But foobar locked up before it was done, and it never got a chance to update the playlists with the new file locations. So now my big playlist has a bunch of missing files.

Is there some kind of "fix playlist" component that scans your library and updates missing files in a playlist? The tags have remained exactly the same.

Edit: The closest I found is a program called listFix() but it doesn't seem to do a very good job with songs that have extremely similar titles (Intro, for example). Certainly not accurate enough to trust it with a 7000+ song playlist. :(

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 2, 2012

Guerrand
Mar 12, 2006

RING RING RING RING RING RING

BANME.sh posted:

Is there some kind of "fix playlist" component that scans your library and updates missing files in a playlist? The tags have remained exactly the same.

Did you try googling for '"fix playlist" foobar' because the very first result led me to foo_playlist_revive.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Guerrand posted:

Did you try googling for '"fix playlist" foobar' because the very first result led me to foo_playlist_revive.

I did multiple goolge searches. Even after trying '"fix playlist" foobar', I didn't get that exact result as you (woo hoo for personalized results).

Anyhow, this seems to work... I'll make a copy of my broken playlist first in case it breaks it further.

From the developer:

quote:

Basically the mathcing is based on file size and track length. A matching title field is a positive factor but not determinative.

So this should be pretty foolproof. Thanks!

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 2, 2012

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The biography component I have will display the album art in the thumbnail, but not in the big panel for album art. I'm using Mnlt2 and it will display artwork if there is an appropriate image in the folder of the album. I think I am setting something up wrong and either the album art viewer doesn't know to pull from the last.fm folder in foobar that seems to put all of the images in one folder for albums. I suppose it would also be maybe more useful to have the component download album art directly into the appropriate folder.

I'm also not sure how to change the colour of the font, I've tried changing ti anywhere I'm given the optiont o change colours but it still remains that light grey tone.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Has anyone had luck sharing a music library to a computer running foobar? I have a Mac server in my room with all my hard drives in it, but I was wondering if there was anything better than mounting a network drive and using that as my music library.

Guerrand
Mar 12, 2006

RING RING RING RING RING RING

ACID POLICE posted:

Has anyone had luck sharing a music library to a computer running foobar? I have a Mac server in my room with all my hard drives in it, but I was wondering if there was anything better than mounting a network drive and using that as my music library.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "better" on the server side -- you can set it up as a uPnP server or a Subsonic server for anywhere access/transcoding, but if it's LAN-internal and you're handling all the access/client-side stuff with foobar anyway, the other stuff is superfluous.

I have a Windows share + Hamachi for remote access on my laptop.

The one proviso is that foobar's library monitoring used to hang/take forever with some network hardware configurations. This happened a year or so ago, and I doubt it'll affect you.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Anyone have recommendations for a good setup for Foobar that will let me set it up for my girlfriend who is A Big Computer Dummy and has only ever used Itunes?

I'm talking about mimicing the Library view mostly.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Gyshall posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a good setup for Foobar that will let me set it up for my girlfriend who is A Big Computer Dummy and has only ever used Itunes?

I'm talking about mimicing the Library view mostly.

Set it up with Columns UI (screenshot on the page), when you launch it after you have the Columns *.dll put in the components folder, it'll launch and ask you to select your UI. Select Columns, and it'll look and act very similar to iTunes only with 1/100 the footprint.

Edit: If you need to do iPod syncing it's going to be a LOT more complicated, and she may get confused, but here's the link.

Illuminado fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 31, 2012

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Why not just use itunes? Don't make somebody use complicated software if they don't have the desire to. What will foobar give her that itunes wont?

Also who complains about footprint in 2012 when ram is dirt cheap

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

BANME.sh posted:

Why not just use itunes? Don't make somebody use complicated software if they don't have the desire to. What will foobar give her that itunes wont?

Not everyone feels the need to upgrade their computer ever 5 (even 10 :gonk:) years. Especially if all they do is listen to podcasts and check facebook.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

BANME.sh posted:

Where did I complain about footprint? Thanks for the informative and helpful post, you colossal neckbeard human being.

Illuminado posted:

Set it up with Columns UI (screenshot on the page), when you launch it after you have the Columns *.dll put in the components folder, it'll launch and ask you to select your UI. Select Columns, and it'll look and act very similar to iTunes only with 1/100 the footprint.

Edit: If you need to do iPod syncing it's going to be a LOT more complicated, and she may get confused, but here's the link.

Thanks. She uses an Android phone so iTunes syncing isn't paramount - just tunes listening on her netbook.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Gyshall posted:

Where did I complain about footprint? Thanks for the informative and helpful post, you colossal neckbeard human being.

:eyepop: The guy below you mentioned footprint. I wasn't replying to anyone directly

"neckbeard" says the guy wanting to set up the most sperglordiest audio program for ~his girlfriend~ who uses a linux phone

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 31, 2012

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BANME.sh posted:

Because iTunes has become an extremely complex piece of software that can be very difficult for anyone who doesn't make it a main part of their personal system of interacting with the computer. My mom got an ipad last year and while she's picked up the interface of the ios itself pretty well, itunes synch and management has driven her to literal tears of frustration. She's perfectly computer literate, itunes just doesn't do anything the same way her established knowledge works.

Also, why even open your trap unless you're also offering to provide his girlfriend with personal tech support on how to use itunes? :jerkbag:

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Is it possible to send the sound in foobar2000 to the microphone and speakers? Ideally I would want to play music through skype or another program like that. Is there another program that can do this?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

lampey posted:

Is it possible to send the sound in foobar2000 to the microphone and speakers? Ideally I would want to play music through skype or another program like that. Is there another program that can do this?
It can be a pain to setup, but the only thing I can think of that would do this is Virtual Audio Cable. I believe there is a guide to getting it setup in this thread, but I don't know how good of a guide it is. If you don't want to talk at the same time, there should be a microphone, often called Stereo Mix, that is basically whatever your speakers output.

honeymustard
Dec 19, 2008

Shut up cunt.
I'm trying to sort my music in the Album List section by folder structure (I have my music in two folders, soundtracks and regular albums - so two groups there) and then by artist - but ignoring the word "The" in their names. I've managed to sort using both methods individually, but not together. Anyone have any ideas, if that made sense?

edit: managed to do it with the facets component, it's really nice.

honeymustard fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 23, 2012

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Hi, I've got my Foobar setup mostly how I'd like it

but I'm thinking of moving to Windows 8 and would like to give it a more metro appearance. So the question is how do you guys with the minimalist themes get rid of the grey lines inbetween the panels?

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Panel Stack Splitter is what you are after, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
thanks guy, spent about an hour getting my head around columnsui layout editing and came up with something that I think is alright (so far)
and

although I've got one more question - is there a way to show artist pics in the 'library' view (the leftmost column)... Google isn't really helping me there

• Locked thread