Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax
So I manage my ipod with foo_dop to mess with the tags. I like to use directories instead of tags bc I'm lazy. I use this script I wrote to grab the top-level parent directory of a song in my library:
code:
$puts(root_depth,2)
$directory(%path%,$sub($len(%path%),$len($replace(%path%,'\',)),$get(root_depth))))
And this one for the album, which is all sub directories (almost always just one, but it handles an infinite amount of them)
code:
$puts(root_depth,2)
$puts(depth,$sub($len(%path%),$len($replace(%path%,'\',)),
$get(root_depth)))$puts(artist_dir,$directory(%path%,$get(depth)))$ifequal($get(depth),1,'\',
$replace($replace($substr(%path%,$add(1,$strchr(%path%,$get(artist_dir)),
$len($get(artist_dir))),$len(%path%)),'\'%filename_ext%,),'\',' - '))
(root_depth is the depth of the media library's path... eg c:/music is 2)

However it never updates the tags when I move stuff around in my folders!! This is super annoying because I end up with folders I've put away in subdirectories still at root level in my Artist list. I have tried rewrite database and it does nothing. Advice?? Next moves?? edit: Fixed table breakage.

The XKCD Larper fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troll
Jan 15, 2012
I took the liberty of adding a popup filter panel to the very impressive mnlt2 skin. The default is awesome, but my music collection is large enough that I feel lost without filters.

Also removed the color inversion when you select albums or songs.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Troll posted:

I took the liberty of adding a popup filter panel to the very impressive mnlt2 skin. The default is awesome, but my music collection is large enough that I feel lost without filters.

Also removed the color inversion when you select albums or songs.

I would love to add that to mine. Is it easy to paste the code you used?

Troll
Jan 15, 2012
I would have to send you an exported theme which will overwrite any changes you have made. It involves the creation of some additional panels.

If you are ok with that Ill link you an export.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Nah, I don't want to lose some of the customizations I've made :(

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I want it!

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax
Does anyone know of a way to apply sort order data to items in the columnsui album list panel?

SMP
May 5, 2009

Maybe I'm just tired, but I'm going insane trying to figure out how to set this program up. Everything seems so obtuse. I just want a simple 4 column setup organized like this.

And maybe an album artwork displayed somewhere. That's it.

e: The ability to start playing when I double-click a song would be cool too. I don't need this crazy playlist stuff, I just want a nice way to organize & play my music without using iTunes.

:argh:

SMP fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Dec 26, 2012

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

You probably want to be added the facets plugin which supports that layout/functionality.

You'll still need a playlist, and but facets can populate it automatically.

diddy kongs feet
Dec 11, 2012

wanna lick the dirt out between ur chimp toes
Having some sudden, inexplicable issues with foreign characters. A lot of my library is foreign and contains chinese/korean/japanese characters, I was using v1.2 and the functional2000 theme for a good 6 months and then suddenly they stopped displaying and I get the classic '?'s and rectangular boxes instead. I searched around and everyone else having these issues was just struggling with foreign languages on windows period, but for me it just seems to be solely f2k. I did a complete reinstall today and the problem persists. Anyone else dealt with this?

Plonk
Jun 27, 2009
Welp, reinstalled Windows and forgot to backup my playback statistics, but they're still stored in my iPod. Does anyone know a way to import that data back to foobar?

Arob1000
Jul 30, 2006
The man, the myth, the legend...

Plonk posted:

Welp, reinstalled Windows and forgot to backup my playback statistics, but they're still stored in my iPod. Does anyone know a way to import that data back to foobar?

How are they stored? If you were using a plugin that reads and writes them as per-file tags, you can probably just use a third-party iPod client to copy the songs back to your computer. If the plugin normally keeps them in an external database and then you have another plugin that writes that info to the files when it copies them to your iPod, probably gonna be complicated.

milk thug posted:

Having some sudden, inexplicable issues with foreign characters. A lot of my library is foreign and contains chinese/korean/japanese characters, I was using v1.2 and the functional2000 theme for a good 6 months and then suddenly they stopped displaying and I get the classic '?'s and rectangular boxes instead. I searched around and everyone else having these issues was just struggling with foreign languages on windows period, but for me it just seems to be solely f2k. I did a complete reinstall today and the problem persists. Anyone else dealt with this?

Did the default foobar font get changed to a non-unicode font (ctrl+P -> colors and fonts, not sure what functional2000 is though)? Eg maybe you installed another program that had its own fonts and something got overwritten.

Arob1000 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 31, 2012

SMP
May 5, 2009

What's the best way to have foobar reorganize my music folders/files (so all the folder names are consistent)? Whenever I google how to do this stuff with foobar I get links from years ago and I never quite know what still works and what doesn't. Is this a function in foobar itself or a plugin I should be looking for?

e: Looks like this will still work http://www.lastfm.fr/group/Foobar+Users/forum/45322/_/550701

SMP fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 1, 2013

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SMP posted:

What's the best way to have foobar reorganize my music folders/files (so all the folder names are consistent)? Whenever I google how to do this stuff with foobar I get links from years ago and I never quite know what still works and what doesn't. Is this a function in foobar itself or a plugin I should be looking for?

e: Looks like this will still work http://www.lastfm.fr/group/Foobar+Users/forum/45322/_/550701
Yeah, those instructions are the right function to use. The real trick is that the File Name Pattern can use all of the Tagz formatting functions. That example uses $swapprefix to make "The Who" into "Who, The" but that's just the beginning. If you have a thoroughly tagged library, you can do pretty amazing things. For example, if you have every multi-artist compilation album tagged with "Various Artists" in the %album artist% field, you could use this:
$replace($swapprefix(%album artist%),'Various Artists',%genre%)
to put those into folders based on genre rather than one big Various Artists folder. I also like putting everything in a big $replace function to strip out characters that can't be used for filenames, which otherwise get replaced with underscores.

Like everything else foobar, it can do some very cool things if you learn how to use the tagz language.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

milk thug posted:

I did some poking around on this issue a few months back and tried all the stuff like changing your system font and editing registryUnicode settings. None of it worked until someone suggested to create an empty txt file with a chinese/korean/japanese character title on your desktop , such as "火.txt". Ever since I did that foobar has displayed foreign characters just fine.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Klyith posted:

Yeah, those instructions are the right function to use. The real trick is that the File Name Pattern can use all of the Tagz formatting functions. That example uses $swapprefix to make "The Who" into "Who, The" but that's just the beginning. If you have a thoroughly tagged library, you can do pretty amazing things. For example, if you have every multi-artist compilation album tagged with "Various Artists" in the %album artist% field, you could use this:
$replace($swapprefix(%album artist%),'Various Artists',%genre%)
to put those into folders based on genre rather than one big Various Artists folder. I also like putting everything in a big $replace function to strip out characters that can't be used for filenames, which otherwise get replaced with underscores.

Like everything else foobar, it can do some very cool things if you learn how to use the tagz language.

Thanks, this seems like it'll do the job, except I've got a more complicated problem now. When I do this I notice it starts labeling most of my albums with (2012;2012) Album_Name. Is there any easy way to go through my library and remove all the secondary years? I don't know how they got there in the first place.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

SMP posted:

Thanks, this seems like it'll do the job, except I've got a more complicated problem now. When I do this I notice it starts labeling most of my albums with (2012;2012) Album_Name. Is there any easy way to go through my library and remove all the secondary years? I don't know how they got there in the first place.

$meta(date,0) should give you the first value in the date tag. You could either put that in your renaming script or use Automatically Fill Values in the Tools button when you're editing tags to replace all the dates at once.

Dr Blah PhD
Aug 11, 2007
Property of tithin
Hate to bump this without anything useful to contribute, but I have a small question.

I have several albums that are compilations, and for the sake of simple organizing, I prefer to have the artist name in the song title too, so I can just rename the "Artist" info to Various Artist or something like that. For example, the woodstock 94 album, I would prefer to have a song like

Artist - Various Artist
Song - Blind Melon/Soup
Album - Woodstock 94

The funny thing is I had the tagging scheme on my old computer when using an older version of foobar, but Ive long since forgotten how to access that tagging feature. And if anyones curious, I'm just throwing this album on my phone using winamp, which doesnt seem to have good compilation support. Thanks in advance.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
You are better off using the "Album Artist" field for Various Artists and putting the correct Artist where it belongs. I don't know what formatting to use for it, since I'm using SimPlaylist which has a "track / track artist" column. But I don't know if Winamp will work the same way on your phone; I haven't used it since the late 90's 2002.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Just discovered this Foobar DVD-A player and ... it's glorious*. For all one of my DVD-A discs (Downward Spiral).

Without using my PC, I didn't have any other way of getting full resolution to my headphones, but I have this nice little USB-compatible amp that does the job.

edit: *my untrained ear can actually perceive differences, especially at the low-end

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 24, 2013

Dr Blah PhD
Aug 11, 2007
Property of tithin

PancakeTransmission posted:

You are better off using the "Album Artist" field for Various Artists and putting the correct Artist where it belongs. I don't know what formatting to use for it, since I'm using SimPlaylist which has a "track / track artist" column. But I don't know if Winamp will work the same way on your phone; I haven't used it since the late 90's 2002.

Well, winamp for android doesnt seem to read that metadata. I would normally just place the correct artist, but I would have like 50+ artist with 1 song and for simplicities sake. Like I said, I remember enabling the feature to put the artists info in the track title on previous versions of foobar, but for the life of me, I cant remember how to enable that custom tag edit

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Is there like a quickstart guide on how to harness all the power of Foobar? I hear of all these cool functions, but all I've managed to do was get ONE skin to work (never any other I've tried after) and mess around with the settings. I have no idea how to customize or add things.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Did you read the first post?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Yeah. It doesn't really explain much aside from what it supports. Not really how or why or whatever.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Well try this page then...

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Layout_Editing_Mode

But lots of the functionality beyond just plying music is provided by components, so you need to add these (In preferences->Components then click install and find the compnent you previously downloaded.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
For playlist tabs, is there a way to keep the tab rows in place? I don't like it when the rows move around depending on which playlist I select.

I also have a problem with the LazyUSF plugin. There are some chiptune files that will consistently stop my sound from working. It's not just foobar, but any sounds just stop. I can get it working again by disabling and re-enabling the specific playback device, but I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. I suppose the worst case scenario is that I make them into mp3s, but I'd rather not do that if there are workarounds.

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

There's a lot of value in the public being able to see how the system works.

unpronounceable posted:

I also have a problem with the LazyUSF plugin. There are some chiptune files that will consistently stop my sound from working. It's not just foobar, but any sounds just stop. I can get it working again by disabling and re-enabling the specific playback device, but I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. I suppose the worst case scenario is that I make them into mp3s, but I'd rather not do that if there are workarounds.

Not an attack, no sarcasm, just a genuine question: You're aware LazyUSF is just for Nintendo 64 sound files, right? (*.usf, *.miniusf) You're not trying to play SPC files or Megadrive dumps without an appropriate plugin? (Not that that should crash your sound in any case...)

If the answer to that first question is yes, can you tell me which game you're trying to listen to? There's no universal standard for exactly how each N64 game made its music, so most games playback at screwed up sample rates like 22047 Hz or 32006 Hz. 22047 is just a teeny bit off 22050 Hz, which is exactly half of the CD standard of 44100 Hz, and some older sound cards and integrated sound setups just poo poo the bed when they try to playback anything non-standard.

You may also just have some poorly-ripped files. Give me a couple game names that cause this problem for you, or if you want you can add %samplerate% to one of your display fields (title bar, status bar, etc.) and determine the sample rate from there.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Judge Ito Boxing posted:

Not an attack, no sarcasm, just a genuine question: You're aware LazyUSF is just for Nintendo 64 sound files, right? (*.usf, *.miniusf) You're not trying to play SPC files or Megadrive dumps without an appropriate plugin? (Not that that should crash your sound in any case...)

If the answer to that first question is yes, can you tell me which game you're trying to listen to?

Yeah, they're .miniusf files. I'm not at my desktop right now, but one I remember off hand is the title theme for Diddy Kong Racing. I'll get back to you later with others that cause the problem.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I went ahead and checked some files, and I found more than a bunch that cause my problem.

Bad .miniusf files posted:

Title Theme - Diddy Kong Racing
Start Demo - F-Zero X
Goal Fanfare - F-Zero X
Retire - F-Zero X
Game Over - F-Zero X
Staff Roll - F-Zero X
Logo Screens - Jet Force Gemini
Intro Movie - Jet Force Gemini
The Goldwood Invasion - Jet Force Gemini
Vela's Capture - Jet Force Gemini
Rescuing Vela - Jet Force Gemini
Timeloop Start - Jet Force Gemini
Transformation of Tawfret - Jet Force Gemini
Opening - Kirby 64
Your Quest Revealed - Kirby 64
What! - Kirby 64
I'll Go, Too - Kirby 64
Eek! - Kirby 64
Mario Kart 64 Theme
Floppy - The New Tetris
Overture - Ogre Battle 64
Premonition - Ogre Battle 64
Opening - Starfox 64
Start Demo 1,2 - Star Fox 64

It's not the sampling rate that's the problem though. All the files for a given game have the same non-standard sampling rate, but most of them play just fine.

One thing I noticed when it happens is that it makes the visualizations do some really weird things. Most noticeable is the Oscilloscope, but the Spectrum, and Peak Meter at the top also bug out.

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

How did you get that little waveform above the playlist tabs?
In my testing I found that I don't have any USF files that play at a standard rate. :psyduck:
So much for that theory. I had your exact problem on an older computer with a Sound Blaster Audigy whenever I tried to play any Rare soundtracks, and they're all below 32 kHz.

One last thing you could do is check in Foobar preferences and make sure you have the latest version (2.1 Build Jun 26 2011). If you don't, remove your current version and install the latest from here.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Judge Ito Boxing posted:

One last thing you could do is check in Foobar preferences and make sure you have the latest version (2.1 Build Jun 26 2011). If you don't, remove your current version and install the latest from here.

That version seems to have fixed it, thanks :)

Judge Ito Boxing posted:

How did you get that little waveform above the playlist tabs?

That's the Waveform Seekbar.

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

I was stupid, that's the first thing you should do: check for the latest version. Sorry I didn't mention that first. But I'm glad I could help, and thanks for the waveform link.

E: That sucks, man. I'm sorry again. :smith::respek::smith:

Judge Ito Boxing fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 9, 2013

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
What the hell. After working for a couple hours, the plugin just decided "nope. I'm not gonna work properly any more". Looks like I'm going to just transcode the files to .mp3 :sigh:.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm interested in using this, but how the gently caress do I get it to work? I installed it, and it's in the installed components menu, but I can't add it to any of my toolbars and it's not in any of the context menus at all :psyduck:

EDIT: Figured it out. Looks like it can't be used in the main toolbar.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 9, 2013

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

You need to add it as a panel in your layout.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I'm adding ORIGINAL RELEASE DATE to some albums - where it's a compilation of remixes or B-sides or what not - but how do I get the Library Selection Viewer to sort by ORD, as opposed to $DATE$? I've searched Google and checked Hydrogen Forums to no avail

edit: basically I want to be able to have the actual dates for tracks on compilations, but be able to sort it by the album release date

Carpet fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 18, 2013

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

In Preferences under Media Library -> Album List add a new view with %ORIGINAL RELEASE DATE% in the sort order. Then select that new view in the playlist library. Or use the above tag as a column in your playlist view.

I think that answers your question.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Longtime FB2K user here. I've been trying to figure out how to get foobar to display an album art list of all of my albums, like I've set up MusicBee:

If I double click on an album, it opens a new tab with the tracklist and I can click any song to play. I have no idea how or if this can be accomplished with foobar. If anyone can help or point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Off the top of my head I think the facets plugin will do this. The preferences for it might allow you to create a new playlist on double click.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reive
May 21, 2009

Has anyone ever made a theme for foo_title?
I have one mostly complete but it's running into a few problems, album art won't display and the progress bar freaks out when nothing is loaded yet.
If anyone can fix it I'd be very happy!
http://www.mediafire.com/?86meclea4co7666

• Locked thread