Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking to set up a dedicated music server that I can just dump all my files onto and have it sit in the corner and serve up tunes all day long. I'm looking for a foobar UI that's similar to Ledge's from the OP (with album art listed beside the tracks in the playlist), but I also want to have all my albums listed over on the left side. If there was a way to add them an album at a time as well as individual tracks that would be cool too. Basically if there was a setup that would just list cover thumbnails + artist/album in a menu on the left that I could either expand to tracks or just dump into the playlist would be ideal for me. Are there any themes or setups that you guys use that do anything similar to this?

And are there any recommendations for how to organize a large music collection to point foobar at? I don't want to just dump everything into a folder with 1000s of artist-album folders laying about. The only thing I can come up with is to make folders for each letter and separate them out like that. Anyone know of a better way, or a way that would play nice with foobar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah some of the default layout options are getting pretty close to what I'm looking for. I didn't notice the View and Filter options at the bottom of the album list at first, that gets me a bit closer to what I'm trying to do. I'm still looking for a way to have the cover art show up in the playlist itself. It sounds like I need to dig a little deeper into the different scripting options to display/organize my Music folder (and go retag a bunch of files :gonk: ).

I tried copy/pating your alphabetic sort suggestion but it's splitting everything out by each track rather than giving me collapsible lists like, A[+], B[+} etc. Assuming you just made that up that's still pretty good, I'm sure if I mess around with it a bit more I'll be able to get it to behave properly, so thanks.

And by server I just meant a headless box that I'll VNC into and run foobar remotely. Not particularly elegant but it should do for the time being.

• Locked thread