Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«169 »
zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

In Japan the current legal definition of whisky is as follows:
-must be distilled from a wash of only fermented malted grain and water
-distilled to less than 95% abv
-can contain added alcohol, spirits, spices, coloring, or water
-must contain at least 10% of the original distillate

And that's it! There are no specifics about geography or aging in there.
Several companies have taken advantage of that loose definition to market their products as "Japanese whisky" despite the fact that they don't distill their own liquid at all. They import bulk from Scotland or whatever, maybe age for a bit in Japan, then call it Japanese whisky (Kurayoshi and Togouchi come to mind). For what it's worth I've never really seen rice whisky actually marketed as whisky in Japan though. Even the cheapest crap whisky you can find is at least made from some maybe malt and at least a grain which isn't rice.

I guess it's worth discussing where the line should be drawn. Even real Japanese whisky uses imported malt and yeast.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at Jan 16, 2018 around 14:44

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 24, 2004

Generally anything distilled from alcohol produced by fermenting grain is a whiskey, like anything distilled from fermented fruit is a brandy. So Corsair's Oatrage and Quinoa whiskeys are both whiskeys. Oddly, buckwheat is not technically a grain, so there's been some argument about whether or not spirits distilled from buckwheat is actually a whiskey.

Re: Rice whiskey, I came across Kikori when I was perusing bottles on Flaviar. It looked really interesting, also a barrel aged Japanese rice whiskey. Any experiences with it?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

Generally anything distilled from alcohol produced by fermenting grain is a whiskey, like anything distilled from fermented fruit is a brandy. So Corsair's Oatrage and Quinoa whiskeys are both whiskeys. Oddly, buckwheat is not technically a grain, so there's been some argument about whether or not spirits distilled from buckwheat is actually a whiskey.

Re: Rice whiskey, I came across Kikori when I was perusing bottles on Flaviar. It looked really interesting, also a barrel aged Japanese rice whiskey. Any experiences with it?

Never had the Ohishi, Fukano, or Kikori. None of these are sold in Japan afaik. I guess I could buy some rice shochu for $10, throw it in my 2L barrel, and I'd probably end up fairly close.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Grimey Drawer

zmcnulty posted:

In Japan the current legal definition of whisky is as follows:
-must be distilled from a wash of only fermented malted grain and water
-distilled to less than 95% abv
-can contain added alcohol, spirits, spices, coloring, or water
-must contain at least 10% of the original distillate

And that's it! There are no specifics about geography or aging in there.
Several companies have taken advantage of that loose definition to market their products as "Japanese whisky" despite the fact that they don't distill their own liquid at all. They import bulk from Scotland or whatever, maybe age for a bit in Japan, then call it Japanese whisky (Kurayoshi and Togouchi come to mind). For what it's worth I've never really seen rice whisky actually marketed as whisky in Japan though. Even the cheapest crap whisky you can find is at least made from some maybe malt and at least a grain which isn't rice.

I guess it's worth discussing where the line should be drawn. Even real Japanese whisky uses imported malt and yeast.

From memory Togouchi get Scottish malt whisky and Canadian grain whisky, stick them in a disused railway tunnel for a while and "hey presto" it's Japanese whisky!
The whole terroir stuff with whisky is a can of worms imo, as an example Caol Ila gets tankered off Islay once distilled and spends all it's time in barrels maturing in warehouses near the Central Belt. Does that make it less of an Islay whisky than something exclusively matured in Bowmore's No.1 warehouse?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

Generally anything distilled from alcohol produced by fermenting grain is a whiskey, like anything distilled from fermented fruit is a brandy.

Anything that is distilled from fermented fruit is an eau-de-vie. It must be aged to be a brandy. Generally I would consider the same thing for whisky, but there are more and more "white whiskies", so who really knows?

GrAviTy84
Nov 24, 2004

PT6A posted:

Anything that is distilled from fermented fruit is an eau-de-vie. It must be aged to be a brandy. Generally I would consider the same thing for whisky, but there are more and more "white whiskies", so who really knows?

fair enough.

#MakeWhiskeyAgedAgain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

PT6A posted:

Anything that is distilled from fermented fruit is an eau-de-vie. It must be aged to be a brandy.

What about pisco?

«169 »