Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«183 »
wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

We have state run liquor stores, they are pretty well managed, I'll ask next time. They didn't used to carry 4R Single but I called the warehouse and asked for some, they said name a store and it will be there tomorrow. That store has carried it since. I'm not the biggest BT fan or anything but I haven't had it in awhile and it's good bourbon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

wormil posted:

We have state run liquor stores, they are pretty well managed, I'll ask next time. They didn't used to carry 4R Single but I called the warehouse and asked for some, they said name a store and it will be there tomorrow. That store has carried it since. I'm not the biggest BT fan or anything but I haven't had it in awhile and it's good bourbon.

Distribution is hosed and demand is unreasonably high (presumably said demand is uneven as well). Buffalo Trace is making more product than ever and is breaking ground on dozens of new warehouses but it takes 5+ years to react to the bourbon market at a production level.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Here in MD Eagle Rare is just about everywhere, Buffalo Trace less so (maybe every 3rd store), and Blantons seemed to disappear 3 years ago.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
I LOVE MY ASSAULT RIFLE 15 WITH ITS HIGH CAPACITY CLIP/MAGAZINE

Gravy Boat 2k

I heard (maybe in here?) that they put Blanton's on a rotating allocation scheme across the country instead of sending it everywhere all the time and doubling the price or whatever.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

consider your chops: busted

Soiled Meat

I donít recall any issues sourcing Buffalo Trace here in Australia. The only time Iíve seen the vodka was when I visited the distillery

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007
Not Dangerous

Buffalo Trace has been in somewhat short supply for years. Their supply is actually better now than it was 2-3 years ago.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Vox Nihili posted:

Distribution is hosed and demand is unreasonably high (presumably said demand is uneven as well). Buffalo Trace is making more product than ever and is breaking ground on dozens of new warehouses but it takes 5+ years to react to the bourbon market at a production level.

Demand is high for everyone. They were saying 8 years ago when I last visited: our product is exploding, we are expanding, yada, yada. Are they selling most of it overseas? They had/have (?) the newest, most modern, and one of the biggest operations in Kentucky. BT is their base product, it shouldn't be that scarce

I have seen Eagle Rare, I don't think it's hard to get around here. Ironic I guess.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Itís possible a ton of it just goes outside the US. For example, I think just the 90-proof Blantonís is available in the US, whereas the gold and barrel proof are all exported. Which is a shame, because Blantonís is good but too watered down to me, so Iíd love to get ahold of the higher proof stuff. Then again, itíd probably end up costing $Texas.

Any tips on finding 4R special picks? Thatís another thing Iíve been on the lookout for with no luck.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007
Not Dangerous

Enigma posted:

Any tips on finding 4R special picks? Thatís another thing Iíve been on the lookout for with no luck.

Private Selection bottlings have gotten rare just like everything else. Those barrels are much more likely to be vatted now.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Makes sense. If the regular single barrel disappears too, Iím going to be despondent.

On another note, my son started a new preschool and decided to bring me home whatever weaponized cold he discovered there. Iíve since learned the magic of hot toddies with WT101 for alleviating cold symptoms.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Enigma posted:

On another note, my son started a new preschool and decided to bring me home whatever weaponized cold he discovered there. Iíve since learned the magic of hot toddies with WT101 for alleviating cold symptoms.

Toddler fodder for weapons testing of bio-weapons is old hat. My son had every disease but HIV and my wife and I spent days recovering from whatever he brought home. He was like a beardless dwarf or something. He had chicken pox that didnít even itch any at all!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The fact that Buffalo Trace has regional shortages surprises me since Iíve never been too impressed with it.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Lipstick Apathy

DerekSmartymans posted:

Toddler fodder for weapons testing of bio-weapons is old hat. My son had every disease but HIV and my wife and I spent days recovering from whatever he brought home. He was like a beardless dwarf or something. He had chicken pox that didnít even itch any at all!

My daughter's preschool teacher was married to our pharmacist. The first year she was in school we were constantly sick and I had to stop and ask the guy how he and his wife both weren't dead. His answer was that zinc blocks the channels that cold viruses use to get into the cells, so take a zinc supplement during cold season.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Nth Doctor posted:

My daughter's preschool teacher was married to our pharmacist. The first year she was in school we were constantly sick and I had to stop and ask the guy how he and his wife both weren't dead. His answer was that zinc blocks the channels that cold viruses use to get into the cells, so take a zinc supplement during cold season.

Not that it's likely to hurt anything besides your wallet, but the last time I looked, the evidence for zinc for cold treatment/prevention was pretty slim.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Floss Finder

Enigma posted:

Any tips on finding 4R special picks? That’s another thing I’ve been on the lookout for with no luck.

A store semi close to me sells a lot of 4R and has new picks once a quarter. The buyer is in our local whiskey group and tells us when things are coming in before the general public.

He also has special raffles and secret "I'm putting this on the shelf today come and get it." I got a 2017 EH Taylor Barrel Proof last week because he was cleaning his office.

My city and state whiskey/bourbon Facebook groups are quite good for what is hitting the area and offer local trades.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Always bet on Greg Holland (to blow it)

Toast Museum posted:

Not that it's likely to hurt anything besides your wallet, but the last time I looked, the evidence for zinc for cold treatment/prevention was pretty slim.

It's also really easy to take too much of it and get some pretty nasty nausea and headaches.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Oh, poo poo. Scratch what I said about it only being a waste of money, in that case.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006

The glass is fully empty!

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

It's also really easy to take too much of it and get some pretty nasty nausea and headaches.

THere's another danger, especially with zinc nasal sprays. Over-use can damage the olfactory sense and permanently deprive you of a sense of smell. I have a friend who can't smell, and has a greatly diminished sense of taste because of zicam sprays.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

costco has quinta ruban for like $40 and while I usually steer clear of sweeter whisky this is pretty good for the price

port barrel is also less common

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

I see BT all over the place, but itís way more expensive than it used to be. Itís $25-26 for a bottle when it used to be $20-22 back in 2012-2013.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Slippery Tilde

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I see BT all over the place, but it’s way more expensive than it used to be. It’s $25-26 for a bottle when it used to be $20-22 back in 2012-2013.

That's only like $2 or 3 more than 6 years of inflation.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Walked into the ABC store and there's a whole case of BT on the shelf, minus one now.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Netflix and still

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

consider your chops: busted

Soiled Meat

zmcnulty posted:

Netflix and still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

spankmeister posted:

That's only like $2 or 3 more than 6 years of inflation.

Thatís true, but there are a lot that havenít gone up at all, or maybe just $1.

Iím working my way through a handle of Evan Williams Bottled in Bond that I got for $24, probably going to grab some Gilbeyís gin next time too.

«183 »