Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«191 »
DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

I joined a local scotch/bourbon scouting group on Facebook, people post about unique or hard to find bottles at local shops, is kind of fun to follow along and see how quickly and often inventories change.

I also signed up for a whisky tasting/raffle at a shop nearby. $50 gets me a raffle ticket, tastings, and a glass to take home. Not a ton of bottles at the tasting, but some good ones.

Rock Hill farms
Old rip Van Winkle 10
Old rip Van Winkle 12
George T. Stagg
Elijah Craig 18

I figure it would cost me a lot more than $50 to try those at a bar, and I probably won't find a bar with all of them available. They are also having a raffle, for the right to buy a bottle of the following at MSRP.

(1) EH Taylor Barrel Proof
(3) Rock Hill farms
(2) Old Fitzgerald 9 year BIB
(2) old rip van Winkle 10
(3) old rip van Winkle 12
(3) George T Stagg
(1) Elijah Craig 18 year
(1) Pappy Van Winkle 15
(1) Pappy Van Winkle 20
(1) Pappy Van Winkle 23

They limited it to 50 participants, I was number 50 to sign up! I guess it lasted two hours after they sent out a newsletter. With only 50 people I have a pretty good shot of 'winning' something(18 bottles, 50 tickets). Apart from the EH Taylor and Rock Hill, I've never seen any of this on shelves and a lot of them go for pretty crazy amounts.

If I won the 20 or 23 year Pappy I'd have trouble not flipping it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Where do people even go to or flip or buy secondary market whiskey?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Not too sure, but I would probably sell pappy if I get it. Spend $3-$400 of it stocking my whisky cabinet and put the rest towards Christmas gifts/new boat.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Grimey Drawer

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Where do people even go to or flip or buy secondary market whiskey?

I use here
https://www.just-whisky.co.uk/

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Floss Finder

There are several hundred Facebook groups for flipping. The large national one is Bourbon Secondary Market and a big raffle group is MegaFireBalls. I'm also in some local/regional ones. Then there are some private groups with their own websites.

There are some real big swingers in BSM. I saw a bottle for $10k last week.

Personally I only buy or trade. Life is too short to drink bad bourbon.

I'm killing a Weller 12 tonight and it'll be my next trade or secondary market purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

I was lucky enough to get a bottle of Yoichi Single Malt recently and have really been enjoying it. I dig the smokiness of Nikka's stuff, but I don't know what other distilleries have a similar taste/process, what's something I could get stateside that would scratch that itch?

«191 »