Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«195 »
wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

DoctaFun posted:

Glenmorangie Quinta ruban: $53

This is the only one on your list I've had and it was okay but my Scotch preferences tend to be common, Oban 14, Laphroaig 10, Lagavulin 16. I just bought a bottle of Laphroaig 10, hadn't had it in ages, then I saw there is now a cask strength version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

wormil posted:

This is the only one on your list I've had and it was okay but my Scotch preferences tend to be common, Oban 14, Laphroaig 10, Lagavulin 16. I just bought a bottle of Laphroaig 10, hadn't had it in ages, then I saw there is now a cask strength version.

laphroaig quarter cask is one of my favourites of their regular bottlings and was pretty reasonably priced the last time i saw it

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

obi_ant posted:

Is there a bourbon thread, or is this it?

Someone was nice enough to give me a bottle of "Joseph Magnus straight Bourbon Whiskey", I don't know too much about it, but if it's really good I would rather gift it than keep it since I have a bunch of bourbon at home already. Anyone taste this before?

It's priced at the "fancy gift for people who don't know what they're buying" price point. You'll have to try it yourself to see if it's any good.

my bitter bi rival
Mar 21, 2011

saw a few bottles of weller special reserve for 49.99 over the weekend lol

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Well, one of the reasons I love rum is that there's a comparable degree of diversity and complexity, but without the marketing hype and conspicuous consumption that attaches itself to brandy and whiskey.

Only certain sorts of brandy. You can still get some really rear end-kicking Brandy de Jerez for pretty cheap.

Odd Mutant
Jun 21, 2007

My local store is selling the "Heaven Hill's Distillery" gift set for $27 on clearance. Is that a deal worth picking up multiple boxes of?

https://sipwhiskey.com/product/heav...ing-experience/

edit: Did the math and you basically get around $22 worth of Whiskey. Fuuuuuck that.

Odd Mutant fucked around with this message at Dec 11, 2018 around 00:36

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006

I won the 2018 Spooktober Story Contest and all I got was this lousy avatar.

Grimey Drawer

Odd Mutant posted:

My local store is selling the "Heaven Hill's Distillery" gift set for $27 on clearance. Is that a deal worth picking up multiple boxes of?

https://sipwhiskey.com/product/heav...ing-experience/

edit: Did the math and you basically get around $22 worth of Whiskey. Fuuuuuck that.

Also no Mellow Corn, so a hard pass is in order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

consider your chops: busted

Soiled Meat

biglads posted:

Having been to a load of tastings and hosted a few what I like to do is have a couple of minutes chat about each distillery and particular whisky that is being tasted. Also mention some of the smells and flavours to look for when they are trying it, remembering of course that everyone has different tastes etc. Ask the punters what they find in the whisky and if there's anything they particularly like/don't like. I note stuff down on each whisky in the flight on a 3x5 card when tasting the week before. Also, make yourself available to talk to people on an individual level at the end of the session if they have any questions or are looking for recommendations. For some sets I've done printed handouts with info on the whiskies too.

Another really basic thing is to try all of the whiskies you are going to share and make sure that the tasting order is right. You probably don't need me to tell you that sticking a Lagavulin first means that following up with something lighter in flavour is a waste of time, always end with your peat-heavy whiskies. I know that's pretty obvious but I was somewhere once where a Laphroaig Cairdeas was the first whisky on the list and #2 & #3 were lighter whiskies that were completely overpowered by the Laphroaig.

Thanks for the feedback. I presented again tonight, same distillery. I don't know anything more than I did on Saturday but I felt it went better because I was a little less nervous.

In the spirit of "lets learn more about whisky", I highly recommend clicking on the link below. I'll read this through another ten times over the next few years, it's got a lot of great information about Sherry Casks and what that actually means in the whisky industry. I'm also becoming a bit more a sherry nerd!

https://www.whiskynotes.be/2017/whi...hisky-industry/

«195 »