Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Well the solera system of aging sherry doesn't directly correspond to whisky's aging numbers. Sherry's approach is a more fractional, where I believe whisk(e)y aging is that the number on the label is the youngest that went into the bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

KozmoNaut posted:

That's because you drink the wrong types of sherry. Get yourself a nice Amontillado.

I have a new cask that I bought as Amontillado, but I am not sure. I trust your palate more than mine, old friend. Would you come deep into my cellars and taste it with me?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

In 2020? Gladly.

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

Just bought Knob Creek Quarter, wish me luck.

Jo3sh posted:

I have a new cask that I bought as Amontillado, but I am not sure. I trust your palate more than mine, old friend. Would you come deep into my cellars and taste it with me?
Nevermore.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Reuben Sandwich posted:

Just bought Knob Creek Quarter, wish me luck.

Nevermore.

I was eyeing this at the store today but I wasn't in the mood for a $50 gamble and I already have like 5 various Knob Creek expressions

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Got some old forester 1920 the other day. Holy poo poo. I liked it but then I really liked it with a few drops of water-the sweetness came right out. 57% was dangerous though.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

nwin posted:

Got some old forester 1920 the other day. Holy poo poo. I liked it but then I really liked it with a few drops of water-the sweetness came right out. 57% was dangerous though.

It's really good stuff. I generally never would have touched a $50 bottle of NAS Old Forester with a dumb prohibition gimmick name (Brown-Foreman is probably my least favorite of the American whiskey/beverage conglomerates), but the reviews here and elsewhere were pretty enticing and I certainly don't regret it now.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I don't want to sidetrack but I had no idea why someone posted a Discord until today. I've been around awhile, this is my 2nd acct, lost the password to the original, but my enthusiasm for the forum has been waning for a long time and I've retreated to a few threads and rarely venture out so the drama took me by surprise. Unfortunately it seems every other forum has become old men bitching and trolling each other. Anyway, don't know why I'm bothering to post except to say this forum has changed a lot over the years and so have I but it seems here in the whiskey thread we are keeping on, keeping on, and that's good by me. And if it all goes in the shitter, well it fun when it was fun.

p.s., if you have no idea what I'm talking about
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

Post on folks and cheers.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

wormil posted:

I don't want to sidetrack but I had no idea why someone posted a Discord until today. I've been around awhile, this is my 2nd acct, lost the password to the original, but my enthusiasm for the forum has been waning for a long time and I've retreated to a few threads and rarely venture out so the drama took me by surprise. Unfortunately it seems every other forum has become old men bitching and trolling each other. Anyway, don't know why I'm bothering to post except to say this forum has changed a lot over the years and so have I but it seems here in the whiskey thread we are keeping on, keeping on, and that's good by me. And if it all goes in the shitter, well it fun when it was fun.

You should read your announcements while you're at it. Jeffrey is supposedly in the middle of buying the forums

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

wormil posted:

Definitely a good time to be consuming whiskey in bulk quantities.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Vox Nihili posted:

Definitely a good time to be consuming whiskey in bulk quantities.

Skip the middle man, just jam that golden elixir straight into my veins.

I also mostly stick to my bookmarks, so a lot of the drama of the last ~6 months flew completely over my head.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

gwrtheyrn posted:

You should read your announcements while you're at it. Jeffrey is supposedly in the middle of buying the forums

Yeah that was what alerted me. Whatever happens, happens. For the most part the forum I joined is long gone. Anyway, I'll shut up.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I've seen a lot of people dismiss Basil Hayden's, but a local place has it for $20 (vs the $40 I usually see). Worth grabbing?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Toebone posted:

I've seen a lot of people dismiss Basil Hayden's, but a local place has it for $20 (vs the $40 I usually see). Worth grabbing?

Sure, some folks will think it looks fancy and it could be a good way to introduce people into Whiskey.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

It’s not dismissed because it is bad, exactly, but because it’s a watered down Old Grandad BiB/114 for more than twice the price (normally, I’ve never seen it anywhere near $20) because it relies on fancy package and marketing to people who are new to bourbon. You are usually better served buying OGD and adding your own water.

At $20, though, you might find it a tad watered down depending on what you’re used to, but it’s definitely worth the price to try it out imo. Worst case, you serve it to guests who want an introduction to bourbon, assuming having company over ever becomes a thing again.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Toebone posted:

$20 is an appropriate price for basil haydens

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Toebone posted:

$20 is what it really should cost. It's still a high-rye Jim Beam bourbon aged for roughly the typical span, it's just watered down a bit too much for most purposes.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Has anyone tried any Michel Couvreur whiskies? It's been awhile since I tried something new and I've been eyeing the Couvreur "Overaged Malt Whisky" in particular. Would love to hear any thoughts folks have on these.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I ended up grabbing that $18 Basil Hayden's today and am having my first glass.

Well, now I've got something for juleps at least.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

gently caress I really like old forester 1920.

Anything similar that won’t break the bank as much?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Sad thing is Basil Hayden's is better than two other bourbons in the Beam Small Batch portfolio.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Beam is my least favorite of the giant american conglomerates. Fight me

Well as far as Beam is american since beam suntory. Mostly the american brands

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

nwin posted:

gently caress I really like old forester 1920.

Anything similar that won’t break the bank as much?

I think wild turkey rare breed is a good option, it’s about $10-15 cheaper than 1920 around me.

A good knob creek store pick is probably my other suggestion. Even some of the younger store pick KCs are really good, but they may be drying up with the release of KC 12 and 15 year.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

gwrtheyrn posted:

On the other hand, Rola.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFPqq5eIFok

edit: Oh speaking of Suntory's international stuff, here's an article. They quoted me as a whisky expert, which is obviously fake news.
https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/The-Big-Story/Suntory-thirsts-for-new-markets-as-coronavirus-upends-whisky-empire

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jul 2, 2020

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

zmcnulty posted:

They quoted me as a whisky expert, which is obviously fake news.

So when are you going to be on epicurious's price points show :P

Carillon
May 9, 2014

TobinHatesYou posted:

Sad thing is Basil Hayden's is better than two other bourbons in the Beam Small Batch portfolio.

I dunno, I like Baker's a whole bunch, more than Basil.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Bakers and Larceny are the only 2 Beam products I like (unless I'm forgetting something) and I really like both. Booker's was a goon fave for awhile but the one bottle I bought tasted like dust. Been so long since I had Basil, don't remember it.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Larceny is heaven hill

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I will die on the "OGD BiB is the best bang for your buck on the market" hill.

The ugly orange label keeps people away and I like it like that.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I got a cheap Tomatin aged in bourbon and sherry barrels and am surprised at how good it is. It is kind of halfway between a mild Irish whiskey and a bourbon.

(I rarely drink anything over $40/ bottle)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

As long as Jack Daniels is the default offering in most of the country Beam will have a solid argument that it's only the second worst.

Beam's stuff is also pretty consistently solid at the right age and proof, even if some of their entry-level offerings leave much to be desired. They'd get a lot more goodwill if they stopped hiking the price of Booker's, though!

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 2, 2020

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Carillon posted:

I dunno, I like Baker's a whole bunch, more than Basil.

That’s why I wrote two and not three?

The placement is Baker’s >>>>>>>>> Basil Hayden’s > Booker’s >>>>> Knob Creek.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

What's wrong with Knob Creek? The 120-proof single barrel is good, imo.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Anyone tried the revamped Isle of Arran yet?

Picked up a bottle of 10yo for cheap today. (28 euro). They revamped the packaging which now looks very stylish, natural and understated imo.
But more importantly, they went to 46%, unchillfiltered and natural color. Fantastic! I haven't tried it yet but looking at the color it seems like it has some sherry cask influence. It's too dark to just be bourbon casked for a 10 YO Scotch.

Nowadays I don't buy anything under 43% anymore really. 46% is the standard, 43% the bare minimum and 40% means I don't buy it unless there is a good reason.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Enigma posted:

What's wrong with Knob Creek? The 120-proof single barrel is good, imo.

They removed the age statement :mad:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Beam's stuff is also pretty consistently solid at the right age and proof, even if some of their entry-level offerings leave much to be desired. They'd get a lot more goodwill if they stopped hiking the price of Booker's, though!

My main dislike for beam is their entry-level stuff, for some reason theirs is just not something I want to drink where that isn't necessarily the case for others. Their more aged stuff is fine, I just like other brands more at that point.

I'd disagree with jack daniels in that while I don't love it, it's not as off-putting to me as standard jim beam. Standard jim beam is one of only two whiskeys i've ever bought that I've refused to drink on its own--the other was bowmore legend and I dumped that down the drain because it didn't even mix well with coke. Tastes are subjective though, and everyone is entitled to theirs.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I paid $0.01 for a 50mL of Lonehand, expecting it to be terrible but too curious about how terrible to talk myself out of it. I think that is as bad as I've had.

Testro
May 2, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

I got a cheap Tomatin aged in bourbon and sherry barrels and am surprised at how good it is. It is kind of halfway between a mild Irish whiskey and a bourbon.

(I rarely drink anything over $40/ bottle)

Tomatin is very drinkable even at the lower range - the 12 year old is always good value. The Cu Bocan range is usually good too, although their Creations were a bit odd recently; I think the one I tried was from a stout cask. ...it was different, put it that way. I didn't buy the bottle.

Weirdly enough, after being ambivalent about my bottle of Highland Park for the past 2 years, I finally finished it off and the last third was much nicer than I recalled.

I've got a cupboard full of Islay, so I am going to purchase some Speysides - should be a good weekend.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

TobinHatesYou posted:

That’s why I wrote two and not three?

The placement is Baker’s >>>>>>>>> Basil Hayden’s > Booker’s >>>>> Knob Creek.

I'll be honest, I forgot that Knob Creek was on that list :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

spankmeister posted:

Anyone tried the revamped Isle of Arran yet?

Picked up a bottle of 10yo for cheap today. (28 euro). They revamped the packaging which now looks very stylish, natural and understated imo.
But more importantly, they went to 46%, unchillfiltered and natural color. Fantastic! I haven't tried it yet but looking at the color it seems like it has some sherry cask influence. It's too dark to just be bourbon casked for a 10 YO Scotch.

Nowadays I don't buy anything under 43% anymore really. 46% is the standard, 43% the bare minimum and 40% means I don't buy it unless there is a good reason.

Arran was already decent even in the old guise, but yeah, even better now I suppose.

I think it's important to remember than Arran has a fairly temperate climate much of the year compared to the rest of Scotland, so it's entirely possible that their whiskies mature at a faster clip than stuff racked elsewhere.