Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Had any one here had Doc Swinsons? My local bottle store apparently got find in and emailed about it, but I haven't seen it before so not sure what to think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Carillon posted:

Had any one here had Doc Swinsons? My local bottle store apparently got find in and emailed about it, but I haven't seen it before so not sure what to think.

It's sourced, so 🤷‍♂️
If it's the latest batch it's from the 15 year mystery mashbill that's been popping up all year so it would basically be the same as Three Chord Whiskey Drummer, Old Soul, Old Bones, and Hunt & Gather

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Casu Marzu posted:

A bottle of Rittenhouse 100 is cheap as hell and it's a fantastic rye for the price

Rittenhouse and Old Forester 100 are my go-to cheap ryes.

Edit: speaking of rye, what do you all think about Whistlepig? I got the three piglets gift box (10, 12 old world, 15 estate oak) and while all three are enjoyable, I certainly wouldn't pick up any for the MSRP.

Toebone fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 14, 2021

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Toebone posted:

Rittenhouse and Old Forester 100 are my go-to cheap ryes.

Edit: speaking of rye, what do you all think about Whistlepig? I got the three piglets gift box (10, 12 old world, 15 estate oak) and while all three are enjoyable, I certainly wouldn't pick up any for the MSRP.

It's good but not worth the money since it's all either Alberta or MGP-sourced.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

spankmeister posted:

It's good but not worth the money since it's all either Alberta or MGP-sourced.

Yep, I was gifted a bottle of Whistlepig 6yo and while tasty, I would never have paid MSRP for it.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I’ve been trying my hand at more cocktails lately, beyond the standard old fashioned that is. A couple that I really like so far:

Gold rush:
2 oz bourbon
1 oz honey syrup
3/4 oz lemon juice
Lemon peel garnish

Basically a whisky sour with honey syrup instead of simple, really tasty though! Tried it with an egg white and a dry shake and that was good too. Honey syrup is super easy to make, and it’s a nice little change from simple syrup. I’m going to make sure I always have some made to try in other drinks too.

Amaretto Sour:
1.5 oz amaretto
3/4 oz bourbon
1 oz lemon juice
1 oz rich simple syrup
1 egg white
Combine all and dry shake, then strain, then shake with ice to chill, strain into glass. Yeah yeah, everyone has heard of amaretto sours before, but I’ve tried one in crappy bar before and it was nasty. This was absolutely sublime. I think it’s better if you use a stronger bourbon, I used WT101.

Clover club:
3 oz gin
3/4 oz raspberry syrup(I used grenadine cause I didn’t have any raspberries)
1 oz lemon juice
1 egg white
Same method as above, dry shake, then shake over ice, strain into glass.

Okay, this one isn’t a whiskey cocktail, but it was super refreshing and would be a great Valentine’s Day drink for someone! With grenadine it was like hot pink, pepto bismol color.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Gold Rush looks really good.

Lately I’ve been making a simple cherry old fashioned.

In a rocks glass filled with ice:

2 oz. bourbon
1/2 to 1 oz. simple syrup
Few dashes each of Angostura regular and orange bitters
Dash of vanilla extract (optional)
Top off with 1-2 oz tart cherry juice, stir

If you’re feeling fancy you could add a luxardo cherry (and a bit of the syrup they come in) as well

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

DoctaFun posted:

I’ve been trying my hand at more cocktails lately, beyond the standard old fashioned that is. A couple that I really like so far:

Gold rush:
2 oz bourbon
1 oz honey syrup
3/4 oz lemon juice
Lemon peel garnish

Basically a whisky sour with honey syrup instead of simple, really tasty though! Tried it with an egg white and a dry shake and that was good too. Honey syrup is super easy to make, and it’s a nice little change from simple syrup. I’m going to make sure I always have some made to try in other drinks too.

Amaretto Sour:
1.5 oz amaretto
3/4 oz bourbon
1 oz lemon juice
1 oz rich simple syrup
1 egg white
Combine all and dry shake, then strain, then shake with ice to chill, strain into glass. Yeah yeah, everyone has heard of amaretto sours before, but I’ve tried one in crappy bar before and it was nasty. This was absolutely sublime. I think it’s better if you use a stronger bourbon, I used WT101.

Clover club:
3 oz gin
3/4 oz raspberry syrup(I used grenadine cause I didn’t have any raspberries)
1 oz lemon juice
1 egg white
Same method as above, dry shake, then shake over ice, strain into glass.

Okay, this one isn’t a whiskey cocktail, but it was super refreshing and would be a great Valentine’s Day drink for someone! With grenadine it was like hot pink, pepto bismol color.

Hey we have very similar taste in favorite cocktails! Gin isn't my favorite spirit, but I love a good (and probably oversweet) Clover Club, and it's very easy to impress people when it ends up a nice pink color that you pour into a frosted glass from the freezer. I usually go with:
1.5oz gin
.75 simple
.75 lemon juice
1/8ish oz of grenadine
1 egg white

If you have the ingredients, I think you would like an Improved Whiskey Cocktail.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Professor Wayne posted:

Hey we have very similar taste in favorite cocktails! Gin isn't my favorite spirit, but I love a good (and probably oversweet) Clover Club, and it's very easy to impress people when it ends up a nice pink color that you pour into a frosted glass from the freezer. I usually go with:
1.5oz gin
.75 simple
.75 lemon juice
1/8ish oz of grenadine
1 egg white

If you have the ingredients, I think you would like an Improved Whiskey Cocktail.

It’s shameful, but I’ve never had a sazerac before, so I have all these ingredients except the absinthe.

I will pick some up though because both of those sound awesome!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
It looks like Japan is finally taking action to clamp down on fake "Japanese whiskey" products:
http://www.yoshu.or.jp/statistics_legal/legal/pdf/independence_07.pdf

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Good!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

It looks like Japan is finally taking action to clamp down on fake "Japanese whiskey" products:

Excellent. I might start buying Japanese whisky again (in 2024 when the transitional period is over lol).

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I'll be interested to see what changes. Not everyone making "Japanese whisky" is a part of that organization. Niigata Beer for example, with their Shinobu whisky.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Really all everybody. Someone gifted me a bottle of willett pot still reserve.

It was a nice gesture, but it’s quite literally in drinkable for me. It just tastes like wet grass.

I tried it in a Manhattan and couldn’t even drink half of it.

It’s seriously a drain pour for me.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

It was a nice gesture, but it’s quite literally in drinkable for me. It just tastes like wet grass.

At least you have a cool looking infinity bottle now

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

DoctaFun posted:

I wasn't a huge fan of it either, but it did quite well in ice cream and baked goods in place of vanilla. I'm pretty sure I used the majority of my bottle was for bourbon ice cream and chocolate chip cookies.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

It's probably a pretty good pan deglaze or marinade too

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Casu Marzu posted:

I wasn't a huge fan of it either, but it did quite well in ice cream and baked goods in place of vanilla. I'm pretty sure I used the majority of my bottle was for bourbon ice cream and chocolate chip cookies.

Dammit all, I loved the stuff. I smoke cigars socially, and have had about half my ghetto-dor full of Cuban products for the last decade. I didn’t think the whiskey was too strong, but it was sublime with a Cuban cigar! Cubans always taste floral and dry hay/grassy to me, and even when I’m home smoking a cherry tobacco in my pipe it’s good enough to brag about. I could definitely see it being horrible in a mixed drink, though, and to be honest if just sipping before bed there are better choices.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

DoctaFun posted:

Had to look up what this was and realized it's the one I've occasionally thought of picking up just because it looks neat. Don't think I even knew what kind of whiskey it was.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I haven't tried Willet but a friend described it as a $20 whiskey that comes in a $30 bottle.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'd prob buy another if it was $30, just for the unique bottle. It's like $50ish here for the 750 and there's no way I'm dropping that kind of cash on it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Anything in a bottle that obnoxious can't be good

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Toebone posted:

I haven't tried Willet but a friend described it as a $20 whiskey that comes in a $30 bottle.

Their rye is extremely solid. I don't know what they're doing with the bourbon to screw it up!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

First casualties: Nikka has added notes on their website acknowledging a number of their products do not meet the new standards.

They have apparently been blending Ben Nevis distillate into Nikka From The Barrel and at one point even into Nikka Coffey Malt, among others.

https://www.nikka.com/eng/brands/coffey-grain-malt/

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

Their rye is extremely solid. I don't know what they're doing with the bourbon to screw it up!

anything in the "willett family estate" line is good, as is noah's mill and rowan's creek (imo); johnny drum is meh
the rest are trash

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

First casualties: Nikka has added notes on their website acknowledging a number of their products do not meet the new standards.

They have apparently been blending Ben Nevis distillate into Nikka From The Barrel and at one point even into Nikka Coffey Malt, among others.

https://www.nikka.com/eng/brands/coffey-grain-malt/

I've always known about Nikka from the barrel, but blending in pot still whisky in a column still malt is pretty heinous imo.
e: oh it looks like they re-distilled ben nevis new make in their column still. That's less bad I guess.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 18, 2021

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

spankmeister posted:

I've always known about Nikka from the barrel, but blending in pot still whisky in a column still malt is pretty heinous imo.

from the website description it sounds like it was distilled at Ben Nevis, and then went through a second distillation in the column stills

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

For someone who is somewhat uninformed, what would the purpose of that be? It isn’t like a gin where they’re filtering it through botanicals in the distillation process, so all I can imagine is that they’re buying whiskey from somewhere else, distilling it in a column still to make it blend better, and using it to stretch their native product?

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Deceptive Thinker posted:

anything in the "willett family estate" line is good, as is noah's mill and rowan's creek (imo); johnny drum is meh
the rest are trash
Seconding Noah's Mill and Rowan's Creek. Noah's Mill is a delicious walnut bomb which is deceptively smooth given its proof and Rowan's Creek is a tasty spicy-apple-tobacco punch. I love them both.

Fancy-bottle Willet is a stupid marketing gimmick.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

Wow, more than I expected. Glad Taketsuru is OK; From The Barrel is really surprising to me, since I always thought of that as premium stuff, but if that's got non-Japanese ingredients it's not surprising that Days, The Nikka, and Super all also do.

This made me wonder about their Japan-only cheap brands, since you can get Nikka Black Clear in like any convenience store for like $5, so if From The Barrel has non-Japanese ingredients, there's no way Black Clear is all-Japanese. So I went to the Japanese-language site; my Japanese isn't really good enough to be sure, but it doesn't seem like their Japanese-language site includes any of the notices that the English-language one has.

If I'm reading the regulation properly, it is saying that you may use "Japanese whisky" on your labeling if you meet the criteria, and that you may not if you don't, but it doesn't say that you must call your whisky "Japanese whisky". Generally (from what I can tell via photos, and what I remember from my last trip) Japanese packaging in Japan just says ウイスキー which is literally just "whisky", not 日本のウイスキー or any other way of explicitly saying "Japanese whisky". I wonder if cheap whiskies in Japan will just not label themselves Japanese so they can just keep including non-Japanese ingredients, and "Japanese whisky" will be for premium brands only, even in Japan. Either that or the Japanese side of Nikka is just being a bit slower to react.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Going off of a article on breaking bourbon, I decided to pick up a bottle of St. Elmos and tried myself a famous “Elmos Cola”.

This is just whiskey in a cherry coke. What the heck.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Scythe posted:

Wow, more than I expected. Glad Taketsuru is OK; From The Barrel is really surprising to me, since I always thought of that as premium stuff, but if that's got non-Japanese ingredients it's not surprising that Days, The Nikka, and Super all also do.

This made me wonder about their Japan-only cheap brands, since you can get Nikka Black Clear in like any convenience store for like $5, so if From The Barrel has non-Japanese ingredients, there's no way Black Clear is all-Japanese. So I went to the Japanese-language site; my Japanese isn't really good enough to be sure, but it doesn't seem like their Japanese-language site includes any of the notices that the English-language one has.

If I'm reading the regulation properly, it is saying that you may use "Japanese whisky" on your labeling if you meet the criteria, and that you may not if you don't, but it doesn't say that you must call your whisky "Japanese whisky". Generally (from what I can tell via photos, and what I remember from my last trip) Japanese packaging in Japan just says ウイスキー which is literally just "whisky", not 日本のウイスキー or any other way of explicitly saying "Japanese whisky". I wonder if cheap whiskies in Japan will just not label themselves Japanese so they can just keep including non-Japanese ingredients, and "Japanese whisky" will be for premium brands only, even in Japan. Either that or the Japanese side of Nikka is just being a bit slower to react.

It's possible that stuff like Nikka Super is failing to qualify on one or more of the other criteria. I doubt they're putting quality Ben Nevis malt distillate imported from the other side of the planet into their cheapo brands.

Frankly the Ben Nevis distillate blended in (and of course the higher proof) might be what make From The Barrel such a standout.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Scythe posted:

I wonder if cheap whiskies in Japan will just not label themselves Japanese so they can just keep including non-Japanese ingredients, and "Japanese whisky" will be for premium brands only, even in Japan. Either that or the Japanese side of Nikka is just being a bit slower to react.

This is the only reason that Nikka and Suntory agreed to the new standards. Kakubin and Nikka Black aren't entirely whisky -- they both use molasses-based spirit that's imported in bulk from South America, then rectified in Japan.
They will continue to label such bottles as simply "whisky" because that's what the liquor tax code allows. The throngs of people drinking highballs at izakaya aren't going to care that it's not distilled in Japan, and not entirely whisky.

The legal definition of whisky in Japan is still the same. That's going to be a much harder nut to crack. I spoke to Tsuchiya-san about this last year.

Some other things that remain unaddressed:
-Certification/approval of bottles and a sticker indicating the bottles were approved, driving awareness at the consumer level. We have the JSS Mark for sake and shochu/awamori, but nothing similar exists for Japanese whisky.
-Punitive measures for offending members of JSLMA
-Aged shochu being labeled as Japanese whisky outside of Japan (shochu makers aren't members of JSLMA)

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

So I just did another blind with an old Russell's reserve sample from a few years ago, a fairly new Weller FP store pick bottle from the fall, a nearly empty Old Forester 1920 that I'm trying to kill, and Bardstown Discovery series #4

The Russell's fell to a clear last place, but the top three were closer and while the winner was clear, it wasn't a game changing standout. Banana, heavy cereal and sugar and other oddly tropical notes made me confused as to what the Russell's was, but also pushed it to the back

1920 had the complexity, caramel, berries and cherries, and a "cinnabon liquid sugar" note that was great, but also a bitter almost sour oak funk that pulled it behind the winner which hit all of the same notes without that.

Likewise, the Weller FP was like tasting a super sweet cherry rock candy, but lacked the other rollercoaster components of the other 2 contenders.

In the end the Bardstown bested the Weller and the Old Forester, hitting the good notes of each, without their downsides.
Is it worth it's $130-150 price point though? More blind tastings are needed...

Edit: looking back at my tasting notes for 1920 over the past 8 months or so I've been doing blind tastings to see how consistent they've been - that bitter note has been there every time, and so has the "sugar frosting" or a similar note

Deceptive Thinker fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 21, 2021

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

zmcnulty posted:

The legal definition of whisky in Japan is still the same. That's going to be a much harder nut to crack. I spoke to Tsuchiya-san about this last year.

Some other things that remain unaddressed:
-Certification/approval of bottles and a sticker indicating the bottles were approved, driving awareness at the consumer level. We have the JSS Mark for sake and shochu/awamori, but nothing similar exists for Japanese whisky.
-Punitive measures for offending members of JSLMA
-Aged shochu being labeled as Japanese whisky outside of Japan (shochu makers aren't members of JSLMA)

Super interesting, thanks for this.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Well, in what can only be described as my most pretentious and preposterous use of $40 this year, I bought one of these:

True Cubes Clear Ice Cube Tray: 4-cube tray https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07422QWCP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_N0JEBK6474DAVZPAM0VV

It makes 4 big cubes at a time, and they are perfectly clear. It uses directional freezing, which I’ve learned is the only reliable way to get perfectly clear ice. The contraption is three parts, it has an insulated box(except for the top which is exposed) made out of plastic. Then there is an inner silicone tray, which holds 4 cubes worth of water, and then another silicone tray that sits on top of the inner tray, this is what you see in the picture. The upper silicone tray has small holes in it that drain to the bottom tray. You put them all together, and SLOWLY fill the top tray with tap water. That’s it. Put it in the freezer for *ahem* 18-22 hours, and that’s it! They freeze from top to bottom, all the impurities are pushed to the bottom tray of cubes, and you’re left with beautiful, tasteless, slow melting ice cubes. If you time it right, the bottom cubes will be slushy and not fully frozen, while the top cubes are perfect. It takes a little finagling to get the silicone trays apart, but it’s not too bad.

And yes, you read that right, It takes 18-22 hours to make 4 ice cubes.

I know what you’re thinking, ‘But that’s a really long time to wait for 4 ice cubes’. And you’d be right. It’s ludicrous. I take up about 1 cubic foot of my freezer in order to make 4 ice cubes per day.

But you know what? It’s pretty G D satisfying. It’s a better drinking experience, one cube lasts for 2-3 drinks, and I feel like I’m at a fancy cocktail bar every time, which is something that I can’t do with the pandemic.

It works great right out of the box. This is a dry week for me, so I should have a nice little stockpile by the time I have my next cocktail. You can store the cubes in a ziploc in the freezer, so I’m planning on making enough to send to family/friends as well.

In short, A+, would recommend if you’re in the position to spend $40 on a 4 cube / day ice maker. You’re worth it.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
The main problem with those silicone things is that silicone loves to soak up smells of anything else in your freezer, which it then passes onto the ice. Rubber and plastic are slightly less bad at this, but with silicone you’re going to have ice that smells like chicken stock or tomato sauce or whatever unless your freezer is just ice and glassware.

I’m thinking about just getting a big rectangular Tupperware (like gallon ice cream sized) and an ice pick, and freezing a huge block then cutting big cubes to order (and discarding the cloudy bottom). Can’t decide if it’s too much effort though.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I want one of those but I'm not really willing to give up the freezer space.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

They are entirely unreasonable devices, huge and take a long rear end time to freeze ice.

But drat it’s clear!! Everyone thinks they’re too cool til the ice is clear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I’ve got some massive silicone cubes. Is it possible for me to make a ghetto version of this ? Hmm