Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

drat 5000 points off, good call though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Nimmy posted:

I went to my local big Texas liquor store chain and saw like 4 Bardstown Discovery Series 6 stacked back. I fought the urge to buy them out, but this is the first time I've seen them just sitting there in the wild at MSRP. This store also gives a cash/debit discount, so actually below MSRP. Should I go back and grab one to send to a friend? I feel like I probably should.

Which Spec's was this? Tempted to send my brother to pick up a bottle if somewhat nearby.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

JohnCompany posted:

Which Spec's was this? Tempted to send my brother to pick up a bottle if somewhat nearby.

Round Rock

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Question for any barrel owners. I have one that's been unused for like 3 years, unfilled so it's bone dry. I suppose that's #1 on the list of things you shouldn't do with a barrel, but is there a way to bring it back to working order? Or should I just chuck it? It's currently sitting in a bucket of water.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 5, 2022

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Got back into one of those bourbon secondary market Facebook groups to check recent prices and almost fell out of my chair. Stuff like Stagg Jr and Elmer T Lee is going for $300 now. Van Winkle 10 apparently around $1k. No wonder I haven't seen anything exciting on shelves in years.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

Got back into one of those bourbon secondary market Facebook groups to check recent prices and almost fell out of my chair. Stuff like Stagg Jr and Elmer T Lee is going for $300 now. Van Winkle 10 apparently around $1k. No wonder I haven't seen anything exciting on shelves in years.

Nothing is ever worth the hype. All the cool bourbons I've had has always left me underwhelmed. They're always good but they're MSRP good.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
I would really love to be able to regularly get Stagg Jr for $50 or $75 or thereabouts, it's a real shame.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

No bourbon is worth a penny ober $60 change my mind

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

spankmeister posted:

Jack Daniel’s Honey Tennessee whiskey isn’t Bourbon :smug:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

spankmeister posted:

OF1920 seems to be $65 around here instead of $60?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

spankmeister posted:

Only way to change your mind is for you to try some of the more expensive stuff, most of the best bottles are over 60 now unfortunately - especially anything barrel proof
The only exception is like Rare Breed and I can see that increasing to 60 in the next few years.
There's an argument for higher priced Bourbon products, but that is independent of the high secondary prices that stuff is unjustly commanding. High MSRPs definitely have their place, plenty of bottles I've bought for 80-150 that I'd buy again in a heartbeat. None of those bottles were the super hyped stuff that people pay ridiculous prices for that were previously available on the shelf for 20-40 5 years ago.

Secondary prices, especially for BT products are so broken right now, and the lowest secondary price on any of their stuff is basically double MSRP
Elmer T. Lee and RHF are 300, but Blantons is 120
Weller Single Barrel is 900, Old Rip 1k, and VW12 are 1.2k but Weller 107 is 120 and Weller 12 is 250
EHT is all over the place

I feel like I've gone on this rant over and over in this thread, but these people aren't paying for the whiskey, they're paying for the label and to have a "rare bottle" in their collection, regardless of what it tastes like because they're never opening it anyway. And if they do, they're either extremely disappointed and regret it or they pretend they're not extremely disappointed and will defend it with all of their honor as to why it's the best whiskey they've ever tasted, and not exactly the same as the bottle with a red label (instead of an orange one) or a horsey on top (instead of on the label).

Deceptive Thinker fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 12, 2022

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I’m fairly new to bourbon, and I hear a ton about wild turkey rare breed. What makes it special outside of it’s availability and is it accessible for a newer drinker?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

spankmeister posted:

You wouldn't pay $75 to try a bottle of Pappy 15?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Veskit posted:

I’m fairly new to bourbon, and I hear a ton about wild turkey rare breed. What makes it special outside of it’s availability and is it accessible for a newer drinker?

there's a lot to say about it - it's a fantastic whiskey
it does incredibly well in blind tastings against other whiskeys that are well above its price point

probably not super accessible to a newbie but once you've tried a bunch of bourbon it's a good stepping stone into barrel proofers

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Veskit posted:

It's Wild Turkey's cask strength offering targeted at bourbon drinkers who enjoy higher proof stuff. Basically it's more available and cheaper than most equivalent cask strength flagship options (Stagg Jr, Elijah Craig Barrel Proof (which has a 12-year age statement), etc.). Maker's Mark also has a very affordable cask strength bottle on the market. Higher proof generally correlates with more depth/complexity of flavor, although obviously that's pretty subjective.

It's worth trying, but it's not particularly accessible due to the higher heat inherent in cask strength bourbon. If you already like Wild Turkey 101 it's definitely worth a try. You do pay a substantial premium for the higher proof, though, even with relatively affordable options like Rare Breed

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Deceptive Thinker posted:

there's a lot to say about it - it's a fantastic whiskey
it does incredibly well in blind tastings against other whiskeys that are well above its price point

probably not super accessible to a newbie but once you've tried a bunch of bourbon it's a good stepping stone into barrel proofers

I have a ecbp b521 that I really enjoy but the other barrels I’ve tried can be tough straight. If I do t see a reasonably priced heaven hill next time I’m out I’ll check it out!

Vox Nihili posted:

It's worth trying, but it's not particularly accessible due to the higher heat inherent in cask strength bourbon. If you already like Wild Turkey 101 it's definitely worth a try. You do pay a substantial premium for the higher proof, though, even with relatively affordable options like Rare Breed

The heat is definitely the hardest part of a bp so far just because I can’t sense the other tastes if it’s too high. A little water helps at least.

Veskit fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 12, 2022

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rare Breed and Maker’s Mark Cask Strength are both good and good values and mainstays on my shelf. Old Forester 1920 as well.

e: The Maryland ABS website said 1 location had 5+ bottles of ECBP for $65 but when I called they didn't have any. :negative:

e2: One of the benefits of living in DC is a Virginia ABC near me did have ECBP C521 for $70. It’s really loving good but I can see how Youtube reviewers are split on it. It tastes of burned tobacco and cigars. Also picked up an Elijah Craig Rye which is meh for $33. I'd rather have Old Overholt Bottled in Bond for that price if I'm not going to spring for Pikesville.

State of the collection Jan 2022. Half of my bottles are 110+ proof :getin:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 26, 2022

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Mother fuckers charging $60 for Henry McKenna 10.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I'm just gonna keep buying OGD Bonded for about $25 bucks and hope the ugly orange label keeps scaring everyone away.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I'm just gonna keep buying OGD Bonded for about $25 bucks and hope the ugly orange label keeps scaring everyone away.

I miss the even older ugly orange label and $17 price tag.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Me too, man, me too.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

None of the places around me even carry OGB BiB. :negative:

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any thoughts on RedBreast 21? I've had the 12, 12CS, Lustau and 15. I like them all.

Also, any thoughts on the Barrell Craft Seagrass? I see a lot of hype for it around, but never met someone that has tasted it. I've had a few of their other offerings (Armida & 15 "2021"), I liked them, but found them a bit expensive.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

obi_ant posted:

Also, any thoughts on the Barrell Craft Seagrass? I see a lot of hype for it around, but never met someone that has tasted it. I've had a few of their other offerings (Armida & 15 "2021"), I liked them, but found them a bit expensive.

Love it, one of my favorite releases this year
Super unique in a good way, not nearly as bizarre as Armida (which is much more of a "mood pour" than a "drink anytime" like Seagrass)

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

obi_ant posted:

Any thoughts on RedBreast 21? I've had the 12, 12CS, Lustau and 15. I like them all.

I've had a sample. I'm not a rye fan but someone said try it, you'll like it, and I did. I won't buy a bottle but I wouldn't say no to one. It's reminds me of some Asian whiskies with their lighter, grassy notes.

I really like Dovetail but it's a bit expensive to buy regularly.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe
Lucked out recently on a vacation in NYC at a cool bar. I spotted a bottle of Old Rip behind the bar. I asked how much for a pour, bartender replied $25. I said hell yeah! Then I found out why when he showed me maybe an ounce left in the bottle. I politely declined, then he poured the remains in a glass and said it was on the house. Mrs. Geek and I managed to stretch it out to about two sips apiece and really enjoyed the flavor.
I under stand why people like it so much, the impression I got was that there were no imperfections in the drink, the value was in what was NOT there. Nice heat without alcohol burn. Perfect velvet mouth feel. Complex flavor that changed the longer it lingered on the tongue. Excellent long finish without completely disappearing and without weird chemical aftertaste.
That bartender got a hell of a tip.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GEEKABALL posted:

Lucked out recently on a vacation in NYC at a cool bar. I spotted a bottle of Old Rip behind the bar. I asked how much for a pour, bartender replied $25. I said hell yeah! Then I found out why when he showed me maybe an ounce left in the bottle. I politely declined, then he poured the remains in a glass and said it was on the house. Mrs. Geek and I managed to stretch it out to about two sips apiece and really enjoyed the flavor.
I under stand why people like it so much, the impression I got was that there were no imperfections in the drink, the value was in what was NOT there. Nice heat without alcohol burn. Perfect velvet mouth feel. Complex flavor that changed the longer it lingered on the tongue. Excellent long finish without completely disappearing and without weird chemical aftertaste.
That bartender got a hell of a tip.
Was this at Copper Still?

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe
Rue 57^

The funny thing is, a couple weeks later I saw a bottle of the Old Rip at my favorite liquor store. I grabbed the bottle and took it to the counter and asked how much, and was told the price was $999.99. I gently put the bottle down on the counter and told them I was not going to put it back for fear of dropping it.
I discussed this with a co-worker and we decided we would offer the store manager $250 and split the bottle between us if the manager accepted. When I got back to the store a couple weeks later the manager told me that someone had driven from Houston, some 250 miles away, bought the bottle and immediately flipped for $1500.
gently caress that.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GEEKABALL posted:

Rue 57^

The funny thing is, a couple weeks later I saw a bottle of the Old Rip at my favorite liquor store. I grabbed the bottle and took it to the counter and asked how much, and was told the price was $999.99. I gently put the bottle down on the counter and told them I was not going to put it back for fear of dropping it.
I discussed this with a co-worker and we decided we would offer the store manager $250 and split the bottle between us if the manager accepted. When I got back to the store a couple weeks later the manager told me that someone had driven from Houston, some 250 miles away, bought the bottle and immediately flipped for $1500.
gently caress that.
500 miles is what, an 8 hr drive? Not at all worth $500 which was undoubtedly less due to sales tax.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah that is some Money v Time and Effort miscalculation gone screwy

Years ago I discovered that there were some bottles of Samuel Adams Utopia available for a good price at a liqour store ~45 minutes away. I hemmed and hawed and ultimately decided that I could buy it and sell it in a few years if I put it away somewhere out of mind/ out of sight.

When I got there the employee almost sold it to me until a manager noticed and told me that I couldn't actually buy it, I had to put my name in for a raffle that would be held in a month or something. I declined.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

spankmeister posted:

I think you're probably right-ish. Price and quality seem very loosely connected in bourbon. Turkey and Knob keep churning out solid stuff for a fair price.

With that said, there are still standouts worth more than $60, which are unfortunately nearly impossible to get now. The markups are laughable. I've never bought a marked up bourbon and felt like it was a good purchase after drinking the actual whiskey. Oh well; Rare Breed, Knob, Heaven Hill stuff will always be solid and available right around 6-8 years and 90-100 proof.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
As long as KC9 is uncool forever I'll be OK.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

So it's been a long time since I've done or posted about a blind tasting
Last night r/bourbon held an online tasting of "The Judgment of Westland" with a set of 4 malt whiskys from different countries: Scotland, America, India, and Australia
Prior to this the only single malt I'd even had in recent months was Glendronach 15 that I tasted to compare with the scotch cask Starlight that I also picked up through r/bourbon

They didn't reveal the actual bottles or distilleries, and I don't think they plan to at the follow up chat tonight, that being said, I'd definitely like to know which Westland expression the American whiskey was (although I have my suspicions). They did say that all of the bottles were fairly accessible and in a similar price range. Goal was for them to get notes, guesses, and ratings of each on a scale of 1-5 stars (but not rank them)

I nosed all of these before tasting any of them, and nosed them again and added more notes after tasting them

Glass 1:
Nose - floral, honey, orange citrus, lemon, cereal grain, fruit loops, light salt, mint, caramel sugar
Palate - vanilla bomb, lemon and orange, light smoke (much more prominent peat notes on later sips), brine - quite a long finish
4*

My first instinct on this one was Scotch (and on the nose I was thinking some kind ex-bourbon aged Speyside, or Bruichladdich), but after the smoke and peat started to rear their heads I was actually thinking this was Port Charlotte

Glass 2:
Nose - green apple, strawberry, those candy strawberries in the shiny wrappers, sour green apple candy (the bad green skittles), plum, some kind of red fruit pie
Palate - light brown sugar, dates and raisins, sherry, chocolate - short finish, probably lower proof
2*

This one fell the flattest for me, it was pretty one dimensional and frankly not my jam - when a whisky has these kind of blatant sherry notes, I need it to have more depth to support or suppress them or I'm out.
On instinct I guessed this was Indian and this was probably just because I had the impression that both Paul John and base Amrut lack depth from tastings I've done a few years ago.

Glass 3:
Nose - sweet tarts, juicy fruit gum, red delicious apple
Palate - orange candy, creamsicle, honey apple, light spice - medium finish
3*

This was fine - nothing really stood out and it wasn't offensive in any way like how the previous sample hit me. Given my 2 previous guesses I went with American on this one

Glass 4:
Nose - lemon, strawberry banana (banana split), applejack cereal, caramel, macintosh apple
Palate - lemon cream, buttercream, lemon rind, pie crust, apple peel
3*

This was unique to me, not quite my favorite but still enjoyable. A bit weak on the nose at first but it definitely opened up after tasting - process of elimination guess on this was Australia

Reveal:
Glass 1: American
Glass 2: Scotch
Glass 3: Australia
Glass 4: India

Total whiff on my part, but if that glass 1 is the Westland Peated then I should probably grab a bottle.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
What's the TLDR of "The Judgement of Westland"? Seems like just marketing. Why wouldn't they name the scotch, Australian, and Indian bottling? Just take their word for it they are top picks? The Judgement of Paris the French wines were from specific top domaines of Bordeaux and Burgundy.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Comb Your Beard posted:

What's the TLDR of "The Judgement of Westland"? Seems like just marketing. Why wouldn't they name the scotch, Australian, and Indian bottling? Just take their word for it they are top picks? The Judgement of Paris the French wines were from specific top domaines of Bordeaux and Burgundy.

It's similar in the sense that they said the goal is trying to show that good single malts can come from all over the world rather than just Scotland. Not a "haha our whiskey is better than yours"
Supposedly the selections were picked by outside experts
Their reasoning was they want approval from all of the distilleries in the mix before revealing - and to wait until they're done with the experiment

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I had the wild turkey rare breed and while at the end it left a strong burn in my throat it was really enjoyable. Next time I’ll add just a smidge of water to enjoy it a bit more.

Is the rare breed rye also as good?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

You guys seem to like Wild Turkey and I’m intrigued. We have 81 and 101 available in my province, are either of those good?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I rate 101 for an old fashioned. Has enough punch to cut through everything.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Veskit posted:

I had the wild turkey rare breed and while at the end it left a strong burn in my throat it was really enjoyable. Next time I’ll add just a smidge of water to enjoy it a bit more.

Is the rare breed rye also as good?

Yes. It's been my favorite rye so far, besides Sazerac. And different enough that I like to keep both on the shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Professor Shark posted:

You guys seem to like Wild Turkey and I’m intrigued. We have 81 and 101 available in my province, are either of those good?

Dollar for dollar WT101 is one of the best bourbons out there