Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Deceptive Thinker posted:

It's similar in the sense that they said the goal is trying to show that good single malts can come from all over the world rather than just Scotland. Not a "haha our whiskey is better than yours"
Supposedly the selections were picked by outside experts
Their reasoning was they want approval from all of the distilleries in the mix before revealing - and to wait until they're done with the experiment

So I watched the follow up from last night and they did give away 2 things about the whiskey
the Westland expression was their new "flagship" expression and the scotch was a "Top 5" Speyside distillery and the way they described it made it seem a bit "holier than thou"- so I have a hunch based on my notes that it was Macallan
No details on the Australian and Indian, but there are far fewer possibilities for those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Professor Shark posted:

You guys seem to like Wild Turkey and I’m intrigued. We have 81 and 101 available in my province, are either of those good?

101 is widely seen as a bang for the buck king in the US, but it has a kind of funky note that people either a) don't pick up on at all, b) love or c) hate.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The 81 I'd leave on the shelf, the 101 is good and the Rare Breed is great.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

spankmeister posted:

IIRC the old WT80 was younger/shittier than 101 in addition to being lower proof, while the 81 that replaced it is literally 101 + H2O.

I think the price difference is pretty much proportional to the proof difference lol

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cool, I’ll give the 101 a shot!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

spankmeister posted:

Yep. They apparently use somewhat older stock for 101 and treat it as their flagship, whereas the 81 is basically a super cheapo mixer.

The 101 rye is also solid and 1/3 the price of the Rare Breed Rye if you can find it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

There is also Buffalo Trace for a couple bucks more. Which would be better as an intro to bourbon?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

There is also Buffalo Trace for a couple bucks more. Which would be better as an intro to bourbon?

BT availability is incredibly hit or miss, but if you can get it for a couple bucks more than 101 I'd go with BT

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Availability aside, I think it would come down to preference / personal taste. I much prefer WT101 to standard BT.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I think buffalo trace is going to be more enjoyed as an intro imo

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Definitely go with BT for a bourbon intro. It's a solid bourbon if you can find it.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

WT101 has a lot of fans but it's more of a love it or hate it product IMO. It's also a bit hot for a bourbon newbie.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BT is alright. I have a bottle of it and I'm struggling a bit with it due to it being the lower-proof EU version. 40% ABV just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Rare breed rye was so god drat good I’m officially converted. The availability of both makes it taste better also. I recently had a e.h bib rye and while I preferred it it wasn’t much better and I don’t have to sell a toe for it. I’m slowly turning into liking that 30-50% rye range like with the rare breed and monarch.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Vox Nihili posted:

The 101 rye is also solid and 1/3 the price of the Rare Breed Rye if you can find it.

The 101 rye is awesome. I haven't had the Rare Breed, but with these last few posts I'm going to have to pick up a bottle.

Professor Shark posted:

BT is right down the middle. If you created in a lab what "bourbon" tastes like. I much prefer Wild Turkey 101.

Speaking of Wild Turkey, I walked into a liquor store today and saw the newest Master's Keep, One. Which, yeah I'm excited for it and I got it for MSRP, but I googled it looking for reviews and some of these prices are nuts. Do you think there's any chance I could actually swap that plus a Weller 12 for something like a Thomas Handy, or is that just not nearly enough? I've never done anything with the secondary market ever, but I had a pour of Handy at a bar and it was one of the best whiskies I've ever had, and I think it's generally disrespected for a BTAC?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Do you guys trust the secondary? Paying a grand for a bottle that could be $30 bourbon with a resealed top?

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Lowness 72 posted:

Do you guys trust the secondary? Paying a grand for a bottle that could be $30 bourbon with a resealed top?

Not at all

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Lowness 72 posted:

I don't like to condone secondary but if you do local trades and get references or ask for receipts it usually helps a bit
Also, if it's a 21 BTAC bottle they started doing RFID tags to detect if it's open

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Decided to pick one up since a few of you spoke highly of this bottle. Smells like old Fuji apple, vanilla and a mixture of woods. Taste is big and bold, lots of orange, spices and spicy cinnamon. Finish lasts for a long time, but isn’t overly hot. Adding a few drops of water the nose changes to some baked bread and nuts. The palate also becomes much spicier. There is a minty thing going on in my throat. Overall pretty good, I would give this a smiley face.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Really tempted to try Rare Breed Rye. I love the bourbon but haven't tried the rye because it's $60 compared to $45 for the bourbon. Does anyone know how it compares to Pikesville, which is my favorite rye in that price range (and also only $45)?

Picked up some store picks. The Stellum rye was 117 proof and $55. The ABC also had regular Stellum rye and bourbon. They also had 2 bourbon store picks but those were $10-15 more, and I've had regular Stellum bourbon in the past and it was "high proof but nothing special." This store pick rye is very good and has a very orange finish.

The New Riff was 114 proof and $50. I had a different store pick from the same ABC last year and it was good but I wouldn't have bought it again. This one is better but less interesting than the Stellum rye and I also wouldn't get it again. I think I'm done trying New Riff bourbon but I'd try a store pick rye.

The 2 bottles are very complementary basically 2 sides of the same coin.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 24, 2022

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Really tempted to try Rare Breed Rye. I love the bourbon but haven't tried the rye because it's $60 compared to $45 for the bourbon. Does anyone know how it compares to Pikesville, which is my favorite rye in that price range (and also only $45)?

Picked up some store picks. The Stellum rye was 117 proof and $55. The ABC also had regular Stellum rye and bourbon. They also had 2 bourbon store picks but those were $10-15 more, and I've had regular Stellum bourbon in the past and it was "high proof but nothing special." This store pick rye is very good and has a very orange finish.

The New Riff was 114 proof and $50. I had a different store pick from the same ABC last year and it was good but I wouldn't have bought it again. This one is better but less interesting than the Stellum rye and I also wouldn't get it again. I think I'm done trying New Riff bourbon but I'd try a store pick rye.

The 2 bottles are very complementary basically 2 sides of the same coin.

Solo blind tasting today of high proof ryes

Rare Breed Rye, Michter's barrel strength 2017, Knob Creek cask strength 2018, and Pikesville

My ranking: Pikesville, Rare Breed, Knob Creek, Michter's.

This Michter's had won my previous blind rye tasting, and beat out my last 2015 Handy sample and an old Russells pick in that tasting, but what's left of it is probably 2 pours in a decanted 375 bottle so oxidation in the ~6 months time may have killed it. Nose was astringent and really minty with almost a scotchy saltiness, palate was just boring and very light
The Knob Creek was also a disappointment but the uninteresting nose and beam funk nuttiness just pushed it back (I actually guessed this was Pikesville though, thinking it was the same nuttiness I often get on Elijah craig). Just oak, vanilla, spice, and nuts with nothing interesting or twists and turns.
Rare Breed is an orange bomb. Immediately on the nose I got orange and chocolate, with other citrus and pear not far behind. In the palate was a chocolate, orange, lime, and banana sundae with some nice cinnamon and clove. I could see this winning depending on my mood
Pikesville was a bit more balanced and shines with a vanilla frosting and molasses tongue, finishing with a nice orange and spice that reminds me of Constant Comment tea.

I'm usually a proof hound, but my lowest proofer here won out in the end, and maybe it's something about ryes that lower proof can stand up better than in bourbon or that the rye spice makes the high proof feel younger than it is

I will say that both Pikesville and Rare Breed Rye are wonderful pours and I'll always keep a bottle in my cabinet while they're around. Both deserve the premium price point and accolades. The KC (which you can -still- find on a lot of shelves), not so much, despite being a 9 year rye.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Pikesville rules, I got a KC rye barrel pick just over 6 years old that's pretty good too but Pikesville is still my rye king.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Costco has 6 packs of Glencairns for $30, in the kitchen appliances area. They're about 8% lighter and a slightly different shade (clearer?) than 2 Glencairns I got from Bed Bath and Beyond back in October 2020 though. :thunk:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 25, 2022

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

One of those is likely fake, sorry to say

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Pikesville at $45 is a better deal I think, but personally I prefer Rare Breed. It brings more intense rye notes in my estimation (although not as much as MGP make). They're both solid, though.

Josh Lyman posted:

Costco has 6 packs of Glencairns for $30, in the kitchen appliances area. They're about 8% lighter and a slightly different shade (clearer?) than 2 Glencairns I got from Bed Bath and Beyond back in October 2020 though. :thunk:

There are "official" Glencairns and unofficial glassware made by other companies that may look almost but not quite identical. If it's marked as "Glencairn" at Costco that should be the real thing. Not that it really matters.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

It doesn't matter that much, but most of the fake Glencairns I've seen do not have the mark on the bottom of the glass. There are other material/shape differences, but the fakes are pretty close.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Don’t they also say “The Glencarin Glass” on the bottom or some poo poo?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

They both say "The Glencairn Glass" on the bottom. Bed Bath Beyond is on the left, Costco on the right:

BBBY came in this packaging:

Costco came in this:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

Pikesville at $45 is a better deal I think, but personally I prefer Rare Breed. It brings more intense rye notes in my estimation (although not as much as MGP make). They're both solid, though.
The MGP Rye I've had most often is Bulleit which is solid for $35 but I'd rather spend $45 for Pikesville due to flavor and proof.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Strange, those glasses look perfectly fine to me. Probably an manufacturing thing, cutting costs or just a different factory. I wouldn't say it matters in terms of how the glass is "supposed to operate". I do like a glass that is slightly heavier.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

The MGP Rye I've had most often is Bulleit which is solid for $35 but I'd rather spend $45 for Pikesville due to flavor and proof.

I'm a fan of cask strength MGP but it's a pain to find affordably. Used to be that some of the Whistlepig store picks were 10-year cask strength MGP (labeled as product of Indiana rather than Canada) but I doubt those are still a thing.

"Bone Snapper Rye" is also cask strength MGP. I also see Old Scout Rye sometimes, which I believe is MGP now as well. Essentially anything with a Made in Indiana label is MGP. They also do their own in-house brand now ("George Remus") but they're pricey.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm a fan of cask strength MGP but it's a pain to find affordably. Used to be that some of the Whistlepig store picks were 10-year cask strength MGP (labeled as product of Indiana rather than Canada) but I doubt those are still a thing.

"Bone Snapper Rye" is also cask strength MGP. I also see Old Scout Rye sometimes, which I believe is MGP now as well. Essentially anything with a Made in Indiana label is MGP. They also do their own in-house brand now ("George Remus") but they're pricey.
The biggest exception to the Indiana rule is anything coming out of Starlight distillery

MGP's in house Bourbon is George Remus, but the rye brand is now Rossville Union and it's 5-6 year cask strength for about 70

Nashville Barrel Company, NULU, and Stellum Single Barrel (like the one JL posted) are all also MGP

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Vox Nihili posted:

There are certainly a number of craft distilleries in Indiana that actually make their own product (like ours), but they are still few and far between the places that just relabel and upcharge MGP. We've had people come into our distillery, take a tour of our production facility, and still call us liars to our face when we say we make everything ourselves and don't do sourcing. Hard to change the assumption when so many companies have and will continue to trick consumers for as long as they have.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Anyone tried the Booker's Bardstown Batch or Noe Strangers Batch? Worth the money for the wooden box and wax top?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

MGP's in house Bourbon is George Remus, but the rye brand is now Rossville Union and it's 5-6 year cask strength for about 70

drat I really should have remembered this considering I own a bottle of the barrel proof version of Rossville Union.

The downside of the in-house MGP brand is that it's priced well into the "premium" range despite being basically the same as sourced MGP products.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 27, 2022

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Klungar posted:

There are certainly a number of craft distilleries in Indiana that actually make their own product (like ours), but they are still few and far between the places that just relabel and upcharge MGP. We've had people come into our distillery, take a tour of our production facility, and still call us liars to our face when we say we make everything ourselves and don't do sourcing. Hard to change the assumption when so many companies have and will continue to trick consumers for as long as they have.

Oh yeah, running an actual craft distillery in Indiana sounds like a huge pain due to the assumption that Indiana made = MGP. It's pretty close to being a safe assumption out here in California but it makes sense that there's a lot more going on locally.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Vox Nihili posted:

drat I really should have remembered this considering I own a bottle of the barrel proof version of Rossville Union.

The downside of the in-house MGP brand is that it's priced well into the "premium" range despite being basically the same as sourced MGP products.

Yeah, generally. But the Repeal Reserve is sub $100, and if some company bought a bunch of old MGP bourbon and slapped a 13 year age statement on it, they could easily charge $200+.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The place I went to had sold out of Buffalo Trace and based on what I like the guy said WT101 might be a bit out of my league. They didn’t have any in, but he said Knob Creek is a pretty good starting point. They had the rye version, but I think I want to try the original before going to the flankers.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

The place I went to had sold out of Buffalo Trace and based on what I like the guy said WT101 might be a bit out of my league. They didn’t have any in, but he said Knob Creek is a pretty good starting point. They had the rye version, but I think I want to try the original before going to the flankers.

FWIW I like the standard Knob Creek 9 year bourbon better than either BT or WT101. It's usually easy to get too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Professor Shark posted:

For total beginner, and bonus that it's such a low investment, I would suggest Evan Williams Bottled in Bond or the 1783. 1783 for me is more cola, whereas the BiB is more corn sweetness, but both are really solid. And if you hate them, you're only out like $13.