Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

It's the proof thing that gets me. Get to try it "hot" and if you think it's too much you can water it down to your preference. I like the syrupyness of high proof whiskey!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Aside from knowing it'll be 100 proof and aged at least four years, how is knowing a whiskey is bottled in bond useful to the consumer? Is it a legacy from an age when the industry was so shady you wanted your whiskey aged in government-supervised warehouses?

It's also all distilled in one season, fwiw

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Aside from knowing it'll be 100 proof and aged at least four years, how is knowing a whiskey is bottled in bond useful to the consumer? Is it a legacy from an age when the industry was so shady you wanted your whiskey aged in government-supervised warehouses?

:thumbsup:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Bottled in Bond is kind of archaic now, but it basically invented modern good American whiskey as a real thing you could consistently buy and know what you were getting every time. Before that American whiskey could literally be any kind of gross dumb poo poo and be legal.

I guess it's interesting to require all the barrels mixed for the bottling to be from the same season, but it's not innately "better" than any other 100 proof straight whiskey with the same minimum age.

I believe it also has some tax advantages for the distillery.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 15, 2022

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Of the BiB whiskeys, I think Old Grand Dad is decent, Rittenhouse is pretty good, and Old Overholt is legit good.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I can confirm that Wild Turkey 101 is indeed a good whiskey for people who like rye. More of a “classic bourbon” taste than something like Bulleit. There are so many cheap whiskeys that are just crap, but this one is pretty good. My only real complaint, given the $20 price point, is that, like a lot of whiskey above about 90 proof, it has a kind of weird viscosity and stickiness to it that I don’t care for when taken neat. Probably enjoy this one on the rocks.

Thank you for reading my review of this cheap bourbon that pretty much everyone in this thread tried 20 years ago.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

I can confirm that Wild Turkey 101 is indeed a good whiskey for people who like rye. More of a “classic bourbon” taste than something like Bulleit. There are so many cheap whiskeys that are just crap, but this one is pretty good. My only real complaint, given the $20 price point, is that, like a lot of whiskey above about 90 proof, it has a kind of weird viscosity and stickiness to it that I don’t care for when taken neat. Probably enjoy this one on the rocks.

Thank you for reading my review of this cheap bourbon that pretty much everyone in this thread tried 20 years ago.

I almost like WT101, but It just has this weird burnt musty note I can't put my finger on that ruins it for me.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Got a bottle of Russell’s Reserve 10 year. Immediate purpose is to go in a bourbon pecan pie, secondary purpose is drinking. I did no research but saw it was a Wild Turkey booze and figured it’d be good.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I scored the giant bottle of Buffalo Trace at a drop at my local ABC store. It looks comical because it’s more than twice the size of the regular bottle but the same shape.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I also bought a bottle of BT at an ABC, but man some bourbon lovers are crazy. Everyone signed up for alerts got a notification that in-demand bottles are up for sale, and when I arrived at the store I saw a guy illegally park his car on the street in front of the building and rush inside.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I scored the giant bottle of Buffalo Trace at a drop at my local ABC store. It looks comical because it’s more than twice the size of the regular bottle but the same shape.

I love the 1.75L Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare (and Weller) bottles because they're so impractical compared to something like Wild Turkey where it's just a traditional handle
Way back when store picks around here weren't 1 per person I picked up a 375, 750, and 1.75 ml of Eagle Rare for the novelty factor of having the whole "family". I brought the giant Eagle Rare bottle to Christmas and the joke of a size made some good fun.
It's a shame that even the regular sized bottles can be a headache to get at a reasonable price nowadays

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I love the 1.75L Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare (and Weller) bottles because they're so impractical compared to something like Wild Turkey where it's just a traditional handle
Way back when store picks around here weren't 1 per person I picked up a 375, 750, and 1.75 ml of Eagle Rare for the novelty factor of having the whole "family". I brought the giant Eagle Rare bottle to Christmas and the joke of a size made some good fun.
It's a shame that even the regular sized bottles can be a headache to get at a reasonable price nowadays

This is Virginia so retail pricing. I had the chance to grab the giant eagle rare bottle but I chose the more economical $55 giant trace.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I’d love to have a gently caress off bottle of bt, saz and eagle rare

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Came into a bottle of St George’s Baller as a Christmas gift. Really looking forward to trying it, I’ve been eyeing it for a long time, and I was thinking about doing some highballs for New Year’s Eve anyhow.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Anonymous Robot posted:

Came into a bottle of St George’s Baller as a Christmas gift. Really looking forward to trying it, I’ve been eyeing it for a long time, and I was thinking about doing some highballs for New Year’s Eve anyhow.

It's great. I really like everything St. George makes.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Cross posting from the cocktail thread.

Carillon posted:

Has anyone heard of "Aisle A" gin? It was in my partner's spirit advent calendar and I can't find anything about it. I'm not sure if it's a thing and I'm just not finding it, if it's meant to be play on Islay and it's a gin from there? It's smokey, but not overly so.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
This inspired me to revisit my bottle of St George whisky from a few years ago and I like it a lot. I remember being disappointed in it when I bought it but now it reminds me of a couple of my favorites.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Had a little pour of it just now. It’s wonderful, and impressive in how it combines a lot of elements that I often dislike into something I love: it’s winey, delicately fruity, savory and smokey (though I think reviewers oversell the smoke.) Can’t wait ti try it in a highball.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Any one have any ideas on Kentucky owl? They have it at Costco but it's a bit more expensive then an impulse buy, so curious if it's worth it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ADHD Whiskey really likes it, fwiw.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I've not had it myself, but understand it to be good albeit overpriced whiskey due to having Rutledge's name attached to it. Interesting that you found it at Costco. What was the price? I'd guess cheaper than the local liquor store, no?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

First time with this release of Midwinter Nights Dram and George T Stagg, first time ever with Thomas H Handy. They’re all great, especially for the price I paid, and the Handy was my favorite, but they all fell a bit short of expectations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

First time drinking any Pappy. The 10 year is very good, not great. The 12 year is actually kinda meh. Neither makes sense for twice the price of the George T Stagg or Thomas H Handy.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.
The 15 is where I felt Pappy really starts to shine, but the last time I had any was at some rich dude's house and he also has the whole BTAC collection and the Sazerac 18 and Eagle Rare 17 blew me away in a way that Pappy (even 20 and 23) didn't.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
My father in law used to be able to get it off the shelf for MRSP, and he pointed to one glowing review that started the frenzy. I want to say it was the New York Times, but it could have been one of the bigger magazines.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I've not had it myself, but understand it to be good albeit overpriced whiskey due to having Rutledge's name attached to it. Interesting that you found it at Costco. What was the price? I'd guess cheaper than the local liquor store, no?

Around 100 bucks, though it's the Takumi Edition.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Recently my Costco has had a hilarious gimmick whiskey that comes packaged in a suit of samurai armor.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Ours gets cognac in a gaudy dragon bottle:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Carillon posted:

Oh to be a tacky 26 year old DINK again...

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Anonymous Robot posted:

Recently my Costco has had a hilarious gimmick whiskey that comes packaged in a suit of samurai armor.

You mean the Yamato - Takeda Armor or the Nikka Gold & Gold? Gimmicky yes, but looks pretty awesome.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Carillon posted:

Better than a pig that pours whiskey out of it's butt

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

obi_ant posted:

You mean the Yamato - Takeda Armor or the Nikka Gold & Gold? Gimmicky yes, but looks pretty awesome.

The Yamato is what I’ve seen.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Isn't japanese whisky relatively recent? It's like dressing up a bottle of zima in medieval royalty garments for some reason.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Jehde posted:

Isn't japanese whisky relatively recent? It's like dressing up a bottle of zima in medieval royalty garments for some reason.

There were samurai up until relatively recently too.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Stultus Maximus posted:

Oh to be a tacky 26 year old DINK again...

Look, I'm just saying there's nothing stopping you buying those just in time for Lunar New Year 2023
Bonus if you buy some firecrackers, lol

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Is the standard version Buffalo Trace any good?

I'm not a whisky or bourbon person generally. I love Laphroaig 10 and Highland Park 12, but generally drink J&B or Suntory Kakubin in highballs when it comes to Whisky.

Personally I think its pretty great, like bigger and bolder Jack Daniels, it smells fantastic like vanilla and cinnamon buns and some kind of winter tea blend? A Mens Potpurri? A bit much for me as a straight sipper, though, having it on a lot of ice until I make some highballs later.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Piss Creep posted:

Is the standard version Buffalo Trace any good?

I'm not a whisky or bourbon person generally. I love Laphroaig 10 and Highland Park 12, but generally drink J&B or Suntory Kakubin in highballs when it comes to Whisky.

Personally I think its pretty great, like bigger and bolder Jack Daniels, it smells fantastic like vanilla and cinnamon buns and some kind of winter tea blend? A Mens Potpurri? A bit much for me as a straight sipper, though, having it on a lot of ice until I make some highballs later.

I mean if you like it who cares?

But yeah, it's generally seen as a very good affordable bourbon whose only real problem is that it's hard to get or heavily marked up in some areas of the country (while being in gas stations for $20 in others.)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The thing is after a long time trying I'm still very unclear on what makes a whiskey "good" or "bad". I can tell them apart with practice, but as far as making a quality judgment I don't know what the criteria should be.

Like I can hang with scotch-nerd friends and talk knowledgeably about which ones are the best and so on, but I'm constantly afraid of putting my foot in my mouth by declaring support for the wrong thing which I then have to backpedal on by saying "oh haha well it's just my taste I guess"

And I wouldn't want to have a "bad" thing on my shelf or innocently offer it to a horrified guest

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 20, 2023

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

The thing is after a long time trying I'm still very unclear on what makes a whiskey "good" or "bad". I can tell them apart with practice, but as far as making a quality judgment I don't know what the criteria should be.

And I wouldn't want to have a "bad" thing on my shelf or innocently offer it to a horrified guest

Good is obviously the wrong choice of word.

I think there's generally amicable consensus on many things, and hearing people with knowledge describe the character of a drink is always enlightening. Most people who dislike something that's not outright turpentine will still say stuff like its too mild or unbalanced or could have more of this and that, maybe make comparisons, etc...So its not unhelpful, and even lower tier stuff has a place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Not trying to be an rear end, but the quality judgment is literally "do you, personally, like the taste or not?"

It's INSANELY subjective and "expert" reviewers regularly disagree all over the price spectrum. Other than complying with quality laws there's virtually nothing objective about it.

The only truly bad whiskey is either bottom shelf cheap garbage (and some cheap whiskey is still OK!) or deceptively labeled/marketed/massively overpriced.

Hell, even then you have whiskey simps saying Sweetens Cove made from rejected Dickel barrels that smelled like expired beef jerky and sold for triple the price of Dickel is actually good (to use a hilariously exaggerated example.)