Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

So half of a rickhouse at the Barton/1792 distillery collapsed today. Enough bourbon was lost that there are concerns the nearby river will be polluted by it.

n noooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The ultimate way to add water to your bourbon.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That is a goddamn travesty.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Vox Nihili posted:

It's distilled in Washington, yes. The distillery opened in 2010 and is just beginning to release their first 4+ year straight rye and straight bourbon outside the Washington market.

"This 100% rye starts with pure, traditionally-grown rye cultivated exclusively for us on the Omlin family farm in Quincy, Washington. The grain is mashed, distilled & barreled in our Woodinville distillery – then trucked back over the Cascade Mountains to our private barrel houses, where Central Washington’s extreme temperature cycles promote the extraction of natural flavors from the oak."

Please let me know how it is. I live really close to the distillery and haven't tried their products yet since I still have a pretty large backlog of bottles to finish before picking anything new up.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Vox Nihili posted:

So half of a rickhouse at the Barton/1792 distillery collapsed today. Enough bourbon was lost that there are concerns the nearby river will be polluted by it.

chills down my spine. what a goddamn shame.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'll literally have nightmares tonight about that :(

Some reports are coming back that most of the barrels may be salvageable. Thank god that cooperage has been a near perfect container for this stuff for 200 years.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Weltlich posted:

I'll literally have nightmares tonight about that :(

Some reports are coming back that most of the barrels may be salvageable. Thank god that cooperage has been a near perfect container for this stuff for 200 years.

Cut those barrels into a much larger vatting and sell as a limited edition. Think Glenfiddich Snow Phoenix.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

TobinHatesYou posted:

Cut those barrels into a much larger vatting and sell as a limited edition. Think Glenfiddich Snow Phoenix.

I mean, it's not as if Sazerac hasn't done this before:

(with predictable results in the bourbon market: https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/colonel+e+h+taylor+warehouse+c+tornado+surviving+bourbon)

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 23, 2018

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

Please let me know how it is. I live really close to the distillery and haven't tried their products yet since I still have a pretty large backlog of bottles to finish before picking anything new up.

It's a really interesting whiskey. The nose is absolutely incredible, rolling from stonefruit to spices to chocolate and back again, probably the best nose I've ever experienced in a whiskey, period. The palate is super unique, but does not live up to the nose. What presents is an extremely dry, challenging rye (perhaps what I should have expected from a 100% rye mashbill whiskey). The usual American whiskey honey/caramel notes are almost completely absent. The rye spice is there, but it's layered in very earthy, leathery notes. It tastes older than it is, however it's not particularly/overly bitter. Unfortunately, the wonderful stone fruit on the nose doesn't really surface, and the darker chocolate notes are also muted.

Absolutely a unique and worthy whiskey, but I can't help but feel let down after that initial nose. Since you live nearby I would give them a try, but maybe pick up the bourbon if you're looking for something that isn't super dry (I hear the bourbon is very good, and they sell a cask strength version at the distillery).

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jun 23, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I visited Ole Smokey in Pigeon Forge on my way back home and picked up some of their straight bourbon. Whew, you can tell this was made with the same ingredients as their moonshine!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

That... doesn't sound like a good thing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

spankmeister posted:

That... doesn't sound like a good thing.

It's not, really. It's only 40% but it tastes much hotter and there's a definite tinge of the "moonshine corn" flavor.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

It's not, really. It's only 40% but it tastes much hotter and there's a definite tinge of the "moonshine corn" flavor.

I'd be curious to know what kind of yeast, and what kind of corn they're using. I've been doing whiskey trials for the past 6 months, and made some 100% corn whiskey that's pretty sippable right out of the still - provided that a quality yeast strain is used instead of a Vodka/GNS selected strain.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Weltlich posted:

I'd be curious to know what kind of yeast, and what kind of corn they're using. I've been doing whiskey trials for the past 6 months, and made some 100% corn whiskey that's pretty sippable right out of the still - provided that a quality yeast strain is used instead of a Vodka/GNS selected strain.

They have a distillery inside that's visible to the public so close that you can smell the corn and separated by a mesh screen (I got a pic and video of the mash bubbling away), but I don't think they've publicized any details on their recipe beyond being 80% corn and 20% rye and something else. Apparently they purchased the Davy Crockett's whiskey brand to do it.

It just distinctly has those moonshine notes, with the noticeable corn and surprisingly hot flavor for something 80 proof.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

They have a distillery inside that's visible to the public so close that you can smell the corn and separated by a mesh screen (I got a pic and video of the mash bubbling away), but I don't think they've publicized any details on their recipe beyond being 80% corn and 20% rye and something else. Apparently they purchased the Davy Crockett's whiskey brand to do it.

It just distinctly has those moonshine notes, with the noticeable corn and surprisingly hot flavor for something 80 proof.

Interesting.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Okay I actually have a glass of Ole Smoky Straight Bourbon in front of me.

Smells pretty good, actually. A bit of vanilla, cherry, and sugar sweetness. But the taste is more of a harsh corn liquor that's been aged, and it tastes hotter than 80 proof probably should? My Glenlivet 12 burns nowhere near as bad despite being the same proof.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

That's the "craft whiskey" flavor right there. Good bourbon should drink without much heat even at 100 proof or more. I suspect there's a very good reason that most of their products are flavored.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 29, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Vox Nihili posted:

That's the "craft whiskey" flavor right there. Good bourbon should drink without much heat even at 100 proof or more. I suspect there's a very good reason that most of their products are flavored.

It's even a little hotter than Old Crow, maybe, despite costing a lot more per ounce. I'll need to try both side by side when I get home (along with my Glenlivet) and compare.

For the record, if you want to get a ton of whiskey for cheap, Total Wine has huge plastic jugs of Old Crow for like $16.

slothzilla
Dec 19, 2003

ACE Spirits is selling a 23 Year Old Kininvie for $75 (https://www.acespirits.com/kininvie-23-year-old-single-malt-scotch-375ml.html).

Their email said, "We love Kininvie 23, but it was a bit expensive and as a result unless people had tried it before, it was a tough sell. Bu with our supplier closing it out, we gobbled up every bottle we could get and halved the price. An elegant Speyside whisky that delivers a bit of sherry sweetness, but nothing overpowering. A cracking dram."

slothzilla fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 29, 2018

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

That's neat because you can't usually get Kininvie as a single malt.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

slothzilla posted:

ACE Spirits is selling a 23 Year Old Kininvie for $75 (https://www.acespirits.com/kininvie-23-year-old-single-malt-scotch-375ml.html).

Their email said, "We love Kininvie 23, but it was a bit expensive and as a result unless people had tried it before, it was a tough sell. Bu with our supplier closing it out, we gobbled up every bottle we could get and halved the price. An elegant Speyside whisky that delivers a bit of sherry sweetness, but nothing overpowering. A cracking dram."

It's a 375mL bottle, FYI. Still worth the $75 price for an OB 23yr, but Kininvie by itself is not an interesting dram. It's made in large volumes to go into Grant & Sons blends and blended malts like Monkey Shoulder.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Okay, so taste and price comparison of the three whiskeys in my house right now.

Ole Smoky Straight Bourbon: $40 for 750 ml
Old Crow: $16 for 1.75 liters
Glenlivet 12: $35 for 750 ml

For a reminder here's Ole Smoky Straight Bourbon: Smells pretty good, actually. A bit of vanilla, cherry, and sugar sweetness. But the taste is more of a harsh corn liquor that's been aged, and it tastes hotter than 80 proof probably should.

Old Crow: Sort of a spicy chocolate with cherries and oak. Definitely noticeable alcohol burn on the nose. Taste is generically sweet and oaky, but slightly less harsh than Ole Smoky and lacks the corn liquor taste. It also doesn't have the weird metallic bitterness of Jack Daniels despite costing less.

Glenlivet 12: Warm, dark chocolate scent with vanilla, dried fruit and a sort of Christmas spice note. Extremely smooth taste of sweet oak and rye bread with a bit of savory note at the end.

So overall, Glenlivet is the best value but Old Crow gets you a whiskey that tastes as good or better than Ole Smokey for a fraction of the price per ounce. There's basically no reason to buy Ole Smoky except as a novelty to try or a gift for a whiskey drinker when you visit Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Does Ole Smoky source their bourbon or is it actually their own? I remember they bought a company who sourced their Tennessee whiskey (likely Dickel), they also aged their main product in used barrels (Harley Davidson branded).

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Lol Harley Davidson barrels. Thats ridiculous.What was in them? Used motor oil?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Radio Nowhere posted:

Does Ole Smoky source their bourbon or is it actually their own? I remember they bought a company who sourced their Tennessee whiskey (likely Dickel), they also aged their main product in used barrels (Harley Davidson branded).

They bought out Davy Crockett, but there's always a possibility that they may have switched to their moonshine mash bill because of how corn-heavy the flavor is. They do mark it on the bottle as straight bourbon with no age statement, so unless they're lying it's aged in new barrels for at least 4 years.

quote:

Ole Smoky officials said the merger will allow Ole Smoky to leverage the strengths of two very high-quality whiskey products. The whiskeys are made from a 100-year-old family recipe and aged four years in white oak barrels. The whiskeys are mellowed through sugar maple charcoal, and local ingredients are used.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

spankmeister posted:

Lol Harley Davidson barrels. Thats ridiculous.What was in them? Used motor oil?

I meant the brand is Harley Davidson, not the barrels (most likely ex-bourbon). Then again ...

chitoryu12 posted:

They bought out Davy Crockett, but there's always a possibility that they may have switched to their moonshine mash bill because of how corn-heavy the flavor is. They do mark it on the bottle as straight bourbon with no age statement, so unless they're lying it's aged in new barrels for at least 4 years.

Doubt they are lying, does the bottle disclose where it's distilled rather then just saying where bottled? I have no issue if they source, a lot of companies do. I'm more interested if they are actually making their own bourbon, since they didn't make their own Tennessee whiskey.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Radio Nowhere posted:

I meant the brand is Harley Davidson, not the barrels (most likely ex-bourbon). Then again ...

Oh yeah that makes more sense, and now you mention it, I have seen Harley branded moonshine.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

spankmeister posted:

Oh yeah that makes more sense, and now you mention it, I have seen Harley branded moonshine.

I was gifted a bottle a few years ago before the Harley branding, just called Ole Smokey Charred then. It was definitely their regular moonshine more than a aged product, higher proof though has to count for something I guess. Took awhile to finish that mason jar, really had to be in the mood.

My favorite corn whiskeys to date have been Mellow Corn (predictably) and Virginia Lightning (for a white corn whiskey).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Radio Nowhere posted:

Doubt they are lying, does the bottle disclose where it's distilled rather then just saying where bottled? I have no issue if they source, a lot of companies do. I'm more interested if they are actually making their own bourbon, since they didn't make their own Tennessee whiskey.

I don't have the bottle in front of me, but I don't think it says where it's distilled. I know that along with their original Gatlinburg location, their Pigeon Forge outpost includes a full distillery that you can view through a screen so at least the moonshine is being produced on-site.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Has anyone else tried Dillon's Three Oak rye whisky? Being Canada Day, I thought I'd crack open the one Canadian whisky I had that wasn't Alberta Premium, and... well, it's different. It has a very light colour compared to even most bourbons. The flavour is very light and reminded me of bananas and honey with a nutty undertone, but for a rye whisky, I was expecting more body to the flavour. I guess that's what you get when 2/3 of the oaks in its name are new ones. The third being a first fill bourbon barrel.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI

chitoryu12 posted:

Okay, so taste and price comparison of the three whiskeys in my house right now.

Ole Smoky Straight Bourbon: $40 for 750 ml
Old Crow: $16 for 1.75 liters
Glenlivet 12: $35 for 750 ml

For a reminder here's Ole Smoky Straight Bourbon: Smells pretty good, actually. A bit of vanilla, cherry, and sugar sweetness. But the taste is more of a harsh corn liquor that's been aged, and it tastes hotter than 80 proof probably should.

Old Crow: Sort of a spicy chocolate with cherries and oak. Definitely noticeable alcohol burn on the nose. Taste is generically sweet and oaky, but slightly less harsh than Ole Smoky and lacks the corn liquor taste. It also doesn't have the weird metallic bitterness of Jack Daniels despite costing less.

Glenlivet 12: Warm, dark chocolate scent with vanilla, dried fruit and a sort of Christmas spice note. Extremely smooth taste of sweet oak and rye bread with a bit of savory note at the end.

So overall, Glenlivet is the best value but Old Crow gets you a whiskey that tastes as good or better than Ole Smokey for a fraction of the price per ounce. There's basically no reason to buy Ole Smoky except as a novelty to try or a gift for a whiskey drinker when you visit Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg.

Glenlivet 12 is great for Christmas/birthdays for people who are graduating from other liquor. It's a pretty considerate gift, widely available and not so expensive that it's a loss if someone doesn't like it much

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

indyrenegade posted:

Glenlivet 12 is great for Christmas/birthdays for people who are graduating from other liquor. It's a pretty considerate gift, widely available and not so expensive that it's a loss if someone doesn't like it much

If someone didn't like the Glenlivet I gave them for a present, I would just take it back for myself.

Bought a bottle of Old Grand-Dad. I'll probably talk about it tomorrow since I plan on celebrating a huge work milestone at a craft cocktail bar tonight.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The rest of the Barton 1792 warehouse collapsed. Apparently "safety concerns" meant they didn't shore up the warehouse or remove any of the surviving bourbon, so that's about 120,000 gallons total gone into the retention ponds.

Anyways, I bought a bottle of Old Grand-Dad! This bottle is $16 for 750 ml. The smell is fairly sharp and alcoholic. I definitely smell apple, some sweetness that reminds me of honey, and caramel. Taste is somewhat harsh, corny, generic "bourbon" with the usual sweet and oaky taste. It's only 80 proof but it's hitting like a freight train, maybe even worse than the Ole Smoky.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

chitoryu12 posted:

The rest of the Barton 1792 warehouse collapsed. Apparently "safety concerns" meant they didn't shore up the warehouse or remove any of the surviving bourbon, so that's about 120,000 gallons total gone into the retention ponds.

Anyways, I bought a bottle of Old Grand-Dad! This bottle is $16 for 750 ml. The smell is fairly sharp and alcoholic. I definitely smell apple, some sweetness that reminds me of honey, and caramel. Taste is somewhat harsh, corny, generic "bourbon" with the usual sweet and oaky taste. It's only 80 proof but it's hitting like a freight train, maybe even worse than the Ole Smoky.

That can't be their only rickhouse. In all honesty they can probably still salvage a lot of the barrels and do that special edition vatting.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

TobinHatesYou posted:

That can't be their only rickhouse. In all honesty they can probably still salvage a lot of the barrels and do that special edition vatting.

Yeah, I forgot where I read it, but they have many acres, and multiple (dozens) of other rickhouses on it. And I'm sure that there will be plenty to salvage - barrels are amazingly robust and there's plenty of good whiskey left in that pile.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

RIP Sweet water of life.

OGD BiB is where it's at, around $5 more than the 80 proof.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve wanted to try the Whistlepigs for a while, and our local Safeway has 10% off as they’re closing down. Worth jumping in to either of these?

Whistle Pig straight rye (yellow looking label) $75
Whistle Pig Old World (red label) around $115

For reference, Johnny Blue would be about $205.

E: ah forgot I could check the local total wine price. It’s a bit cheaper at TW even without discount. Never mind.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 9, 2018

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Worth jumping in to either of these?

No.

Don't keep encouraging them, buy some good canadian rye whiskey instead, it's literally the same thing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sounds good to me. I’m not one to buy something just for a brand name, and saving money is never a bad thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Got to try the Nikka Pure Malt. There much else that hits the same notes? It was just sorta unashamedly malty and it was great. Not averse to getting a bottle, but a cheaper but similar enough alternative is fine with me.