Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sounds good to me. I’m not one to buy something just for a brand name, and saving money is never a bad thing!

See if they can get you a bottle of Alberta Premium. It's the same whiskey in a non-fancy bottle and sells for ~25 bucks. It's pretty decent, just not $70 decent.

Edit: It might not be available in the states. I had a friend bring me a bottle from when he visited Montreal so we could compare it to Whistlepig, but trying to find a vendor for it in the states is coming up dry.

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothzilla
Dec 19, 2003

I'm pleasantly surprised how drinkable Mellow Corn is. Thanks goons.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Let's be reasonable here, whistlepig is a far better expression of the spirit than Alberta Premium. Not to say it's worth the extra money, but it's not "exactly the same stuff".

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Weltlich posted:

See if they can get you a bottle of Alberta Premium. It's the same whiskey in a non-fancy bottle and sells for ~25 bucks. It's pretty decent, just not $70 decent.

Edit: It might not be available in the states. I had a friend bring me a bottle from when he visited Montreal so we could compare it to Whistlepig, but trying to find a vendor for it in the states is coming up dry.

It's pretty much impossible to get decent Canadian rye in the US. Almost everything is some type of weird blend, has additives, is of unknonwn provenance, etc. For whatever reason the Canadian distilleries just suck at exporting decent products. You simply can't find something equivalent to a Whistlepig barrel pick (cask strength 10 years, straight rye, 100% rye mashbill) with a Canadian label on it. At least, I can't find that sort of thing locally, and we tend to get a really solid selection of whiskey here.

The Whistlepig marketing materials glibly mention rescuing the stock from "misuse as a blending whiskey" which in most cases would be profoundly insulting to the actual distiller but in this case I almost agree, Canadian producers just blow.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 9, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I couldn’t find the Premium locally looking on that one site, just normal.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Speaking of WhistlePig and whether or not their stuff is just an overpriced redistribution: I lucked (apparently? hard to find?) into a Batch 002 bottle of their FarmStock Rye the other day -- for under MSRP! "Only" $69 USD!

It's still largely other makers' whiskey, Indiana with some Canada, but a third of it is from-their-own-farmstead local rye. Plus it's aged in barrels made from their own oak trees (not sure if they do this for their other stuff too?).

It wasn't bad, definitely young-tasting, probably still overpriced, but kinda unique. Might snag one from subsequent batches to see how it changes as they keep increasing the percentage (and I assume age) of the local rye.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This thread makes me feel guilty about spending all my money on whiskey and scotch.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

bitprophet posted:

Speaking of WhistlePig and whether or not their stuff is just an overpriced redistribution: I lucked (apparently? hard to find?) into a Batch 002 bottle of their FarmStock Rye the other day -- for under MSRP! "Only" $69 USD!

It's still largely other makers' whiskey, Indiana with some Canada, but a third of it is from-their-own-farmstead local rye. Plus it's aged in barrels made from their own oak trees (not sure if they do this for their other stuff too?).

It wasn't bad, definitely young-tasting, probably still overpriced, but kinda unique. Might snag one from subsequent batches to see how it changes as they keep increasing the percentage (and I assume age) of the local rye.

I'm somewhat excited to try their make in maybe 2-3 years when they can release a straight rye. I can only imagine what the price tag is going to be, though.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Whistlepig like $90 here. I can get actual good whisky for that :shrug:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

fwiw, the only reason I was interested in Whistlepig was because I went to a bar that also sold bottles, looked through their supply and saw they had really good reviews online. Now I’m sad that despite never seeing their marketing directly, I’m a victim of second hand bullshittery!

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Went back to look at what I thought of other WhistlePigs and I apparently wasn't super into their main (10/100) rye when I tried it a while back. I did honestly enjoy the FarmStock and I'm well off enough that I don't mind the high-ish price tag as an occasional "whatever". But there's absolutely better and cheaper stuff out there.

Speaking of my notes (which are...woefully inadequate besides a "liked/meh/disliked" scale), I recently put them in an Airtable: https://airtable.com/shr2qsCr1u0t3mhoU/tblzYWabFrOs6okta - eg one presumably-cheaper rye I apparently liked was Bulleit's offering; and while I think they go towards the higher end again, High West seems to make a lot of good bourbons. I still haven't hunted down all their stuff yet, but I want to.

Feel free to yell at my bad opinions, confirm that I should try stuff listed as 'recommended/recognized', or suggest whiskeys I haven't heard of yet!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Noticed two new whiskeys in the US market (listed at K&L now). Nikka from the Barrel finally has their export bottle out, 750 ml selling at $65 (pretty easy pass at that price, but among the better values for Japanese whiskey). Willett also seems to have finally released their in-house four-year rye in a non-limited format, bottled at barrel proof like their three-year. Priced at $55 at K&L, but I'm hoping maybe I can snag a bottle at Total Wine for ~$40 at some point.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hm. I'm trying the Ole Smoky again out of a different glass (basically a rocks glass with a stem so it shouldn't really be different) after it had spent some time sitting in a hot house with no AC, and it's actually better? The harshness is gone and I can now taste some of that sweetness and apple fruitiness from the nose.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
The flavors typically change a bit after a bottle is opened. Oxidation generally causes them to mellow somewhat. This means that offensive whiskeys will get less offensive, and big, bold whiskeys will never be quite as potent and flavorful as the first time they are opened. A bit of the alcohol may bleed off as well, but that is probably less detectable.

Of course, tasting is a subjective process and you may also find yourself experiencing the same exact whiskey differently on different tastings.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I used to think people who cared about glassware were snobs, but on a lark I bought a glencairn and dammed if it doesn't make a difference. So does rinsing with filtered water after washing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Vox Nihili posted:

The flavors typically change a bit after a bottle is opened. Oxidation generally causes them to mellow somewhat. This means that offensive whiskeys will get less offensive, and big, bold whiskeys will never be quite as potent and flavorful as the first time they are opened. A bit of the alcohol may bleed off as well, but that is probably less detectable.

Of course, tasting is a subjective process and you may also find yourself experiencing the same exact whiskey differently on different tastings.

When I gave the initial review, I was about halfway through the bottle. Now it's a few weeks later toward the end of it and it's definitely different.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Enigma posted:

I used to think people who cared about glassware were snobs, but on a lark I bought a glencairn and dammed if it doesn't make a difference. So does rinsing with filtered water after washing.

Glass shape makes a huge difference when trying to tease out flavors and aromas. Every time I offer someone whiskey in a Glencairn and they drink it like it's a shooter, I die a little inside.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I don't think I've ever done a whiskey shot? Vodka and rum, sure, but I've only ever sipped whiskey or had it in a cocktail. It just feels like the sheer amount of flavors would knock your mouth for a loop if you tried to shoot 2 ounces at once.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Do poorly advised fireball shots at a networking/bowling event count?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The only time I've had Fireball was spiking an eggnog shake. It made an otherwise good shake almost undrinkable.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I had a friend take a shot of some MacCallan 18 that I poured for him and I was so sad. It just all happened so fast.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Internet Explorer posted:

I had a friend take a shot of some MacCallan 18 that I poured for him and I was so sad. It just all happened so fast.

I would have made him spit it back up if he insulted me like that.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't think I've ever done a whiskey shot? Vodka and rum, sure, but I've only ever sipped whiskey or had it in a cocktail. It just feels like the sheer amount of flavors would knock your mouth for a loop if you tried to shoot 2 ounces at once.

Witnessed the tough friend do a shot of Bookers at a bar, it was worth the price.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

That's normally how it happens. It's only happened a few times, but normally I have a silent "Are they goin...no no no no no!" during the split second when they knock their head back and swallow without tasting.

It's also why I've stopped giving people "good stuff" without pouring them something lower end first to see how they respond.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Weltlich posted:

It's also why I've stopped giving people "good stuff" without pouring them something lower end first to see how they respond.

I give cigars to my friends all the time ‘cause most want one when we are celebrating or playing cards. My really good friends get Padron 1964s and even a Padron 1926 if we’re in a small-group-smoke. Drinks are usually Scotch or Bourbons, but we are trying Mellow Corn next week in the mountains of Eastern Tennessee.

Non-smokers/drinkers get reasonable replacements like Rocky Patels and Glenlivet 12. I saw some folks drinking tequila shooters so when I got done sipping I progressed to shots of tequila and hid the bourbon. I don’t pour bourbon shots, but I’m always willing to teach young 25-35 girls and boys decorum and good taste and sometimes even good drinks & smokes manners.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

DerekSmartymans posted:

I give cigars to my friends all the time ‘cause most want one when we are celebrating or playing cards. My really good friends get Padron 1964s and even a Padron 1926 if we’re in a small-group-smoke. Drinks are usually Scotch or Bourbons, but we are trying Mellow Corn next week in the mountains of Eastern Tennessee.

Non-smokers/drinkers get reasonable replacements like Rocky Patels and Glenlivet 12. I saw some folks drinking tequila shooters so when I got done sipping I progressed to shots of tequila and hid the bourbon. I don’t pour bourbon shots, but I’m always willing to teach young 25-35 girls and boys decorum and good taste and sometimes even good drinks & smokes manners.

:agreed:

That's about the age where you've been able to have fun being dumb, and now it's time to learn to come to where the flavor is.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Enigma posted:

I've been considering buying a Glencairn, I needed another excuse, true or not. :)

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Do it. It's black magic but who cares cause it works.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

When I gave the initial review, I was about halfway through the bottle. Now it's a few weeks later toward the end of it and it's definitely different.

Oh, well, bottles will still evolve/oxidize over time (particularly when there's a lot of air in there) but yeah, might just be perception, too.

wormil posted:

I've been considering buying a Glencairn, I needed another excuse, true or not. :)

Just do it. There are some cheaper knock-offs that are just as good as the Glencairn (TM) and look pretty much the same, too. Definitely helps with nosing. The rest is probably bullshit but it's fun, so hey!

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 13, 2018

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Anyone got an idea as to how the Reidel whiskey glasses line up against Glencairn? It's a rather different design so I'm wondering if anyone has tried side by sides or anything.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Reidel glasses are decidedly less durable than the Glencairn, and won’t be as good for nosing. If you want nosing glasses either get a Glencairn, a copita nosing glass or a brandy snifter.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
For anyone else in the Bay Area/possibly California more broadly, Total Wine just got the Willett 4-year barrel-proof rye into stock @ $47 and it's absolutely cracking. This is their own distillate rather than the MGP-sourced stuff they used to sell. Big, bold, and bright at 63% abv, with rye spice in spades and then some. A rye-lover's rye.

(It was in the back rather than on the shelf at my location, but the staff helpfully fetched a fresh case.)

Yes, I may be drinking some right now.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 14, 2018

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
And before anyone scoffs at 4-years-old, that's not really that young for a rye IMO.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Honestly for any whiskey other than scotch, 4 years is a perfectly fine age statement, and for $47 it sounds like a good value as well. I'll have to poke around NY and MA to see if any of that made its way to the northeast.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Also.... 126 proof is pretty zesty. That $47 is going to go a long way.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
I ran across what seems to be the 3-year (and ~109 proof) version of that in my travels today (didn't pick it up though) - is that going to be similar, or does the extra year and higher proof make a noticeable difference?

Probably moot as I'll be swinging by an actual Total Wine tomorrow too, but curious now.

Speaking of rare cask strength stuff, has anyone seen the cask strength Redbreast 12 recently? Ran across mention of it today but didn't see it in my local stores and all online mentions are ~2 years old, implying it's gonna be real hard to find now. Had regular Redbreast 12 the other month and really liked it, trying to find something similar. May settle for the 15yr or the sherry cask thing they put out.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

bitprophet posted:

I ran across what seems to be the 3-year (and ~109 proof) version of that in my travels today (didn't pick it up though) - is that going to be similar, or does the extra year and higher proof make a noticeable difference?

Probably moot as I'll be swinging by an actual Total Wine tomorrow too, but curious now.

Speaking of rare cask strength stuff, has anyone seen the cask strength Redbreast 12 recently? Ran across mention of it today but didn't see it in my local stores and all online mentions are ~2 years old, implying it's gonna be real hard to find now. Had regular Redbreast 12 the other month and really liked it, trying to find something similar. May settle for the 15yr or the sherry cask thing they put out.

The 3-year is OK but not nearly as good (in my estimation). It's been out for well over a year and is pretty easy to find at this point; it's also about $10 cheaper near me. I expect that the 4-year will also be pretty easy to find once the distribution broadens a bit.

I see Redbreast 12 CS on shelves all the time, it's ~$55-$65 in the Bay Area. It's gotten popular and sells out on occasion but it's by no means a rare find at this point. It's my favorite Irish whiskey by a decent margin, FWIW, though admittedly I've only tried 4 or 5 Irish whiskeys in total.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Forgot to post an update! I did find that cask strength at Total Wine, and splurged on that plus the Lustau and a cute little Jameson 'trilogy'. 20cl each of their regular, black barrel, & stout Caskmates. Never had Jameson and figured I should try something besides Redbreast (though, granted, both are apparently owned by the same company now).

On top of that I also grabbed a High West Bourye (I usually only see the 'Son of') and Angel's Envy's new (?) finished rye. My extremely small liquor cabinet is now totally full :v:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Has anyone had Blender's Dog from Jameson? I enjoyed Cooper's Croze and the best equipped bottle shop near me has both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
I tried Glendronach 12 the other day and I have to say I was pretty disappointed. I expected it to be something a bit special after the reviews and general positive statements I've read, but it tasted like a pretty standard sherried Scotch. No enormous depth of flavor, no chewy mouthfeel, just OK and a bit thin.