Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

TobinHatesYou posted:

Enjoy the intrinsic quality of the product and not the rumor that it might be older than the label says.

Good advice for pretty much everything. Once you're actually drinking something, age statements and even vintages are pretty much meaningless -- the resulting product is either good or bad, and nothing on the label affects that once you've already purchased and opened the bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

zmcnulty posted:

That's not an option, the max they allow for the 55L is 5 years. Minimum 3 years.
I have a couple tiny 2L casks at home, so I may try aging a bit further for experimental purposes.
They do offer a barrel (180L), max 9 years, but that's a pretty high upfront cost (999,000 yen).

I'm honestly not surprised they only allow a 55L to go for 5 years. That's comparable to the 15 gallon barrels we started out using, and in a single year they had somewhere on the order of 10% evaporative loss with 120 proof spirits in them. If you were to let one of those go for 10 years, you'd have vanishingly little spirits left in it.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Oh I totally agree, I was looking at that bottle before reading up about that deal. Just thought it was kind of a neat situation, and for most people the age on the bottle matters at least a little bit when it comes to purchasing.

Should it? I don’t know, probably not as much as it does, but when the price difference between an 18 and 23 year old whisky is normally hundreds of dollars, I think it makes for a unique opportunity.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

That article about the "real" age being longer lost me when they talked about finding something bottled 5 years ago and thinking it was aged longer. Were the spirits in barrels for 5 years longer than stated? It doesn't seem like it.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Infinite Karma posted:

That article about the "real" age being longer lost me when they talked about finding something bottled 5 years ago and thinking it was aged longer. Were the spirits in barrels for 5 years longer than stated? It doesn't seem like it.

Since no distillation occurred between 96-01, it is impossible for Glendronach 18yr to be made from anything but 23-year-old distillate or older. Anything made since 2001 would be younger than 18-years-old.

The possible catch is what I said...the distillate could have been stored in large metal tanks, and maturation only occurs in cask.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

TobinHatesYou posted:

Since no distillation occurred between 96-01, it is impossible for Glendronach 18yr to be made from anything but 23-year-old distillate or older. Anything made since 2001 would be younger than 18-years-old.

The possible catch is what I said...the distillate could have been stored in large metal tanks, and maturation only occurs in cask.

Yeah, I have no where near enough expertise to know if they juice was actually barreled prior to the shutdown or not.

If something was stored in metal tanks that long, would it even be usable? Like, I know that there’s a reason stainless steel is used instead of something like plastic(lol bourbon 30) cause it won’t leech flavor out of it, but I’d think that you’d get a metallic taste if something sat in a metal tank for five years. Heck, if water sits in my stainless steel water bottle over the weekend at work I feel like it tastes metallic if I accidentally take a sip.

Don’t go out and buy a bottle because of the theory, I was considering the bottle as the Glendronach 18 gets reviewed as one of the best sherries scotches on r/scotch pretty consistently. And I think it’s pretty common for people to have an age threshold they’d love to try, for me, 20 years has always been that mark, so it intrigued me.

But maybe I should just pickup a glenfarclas 21 or something :).

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I bought a $5 bottle of Revel Stroke Blended Canadian Whiskey and oh boy was it the worse thing ever. I forgot how bad cheap alcohol can be. A reminder of "Oh yeah, it can stink and taste like hydrogen peroxide."

But instead of throwing it out, I decided to have a little fun with this and read up on what you can do with bad alcohol. I saw a foodhack where you can put bad vodka through a charcoal water filter to "remove chemical impurities" that can attribute to that "non-edible alcohol product" characteristic and decided to give it a shot with the whiskey and filter it through my Brita water pitcher 11 times.

And it actually significantly improved it! Somewhat. Sort of. What I mean to say is that while it significantly removed the bad chemical smell and taste, it may have also removed other flavor characteristics from the whiskey (or this $5 bottle of crap didn't have any to begin with.) Either way I now have a bottle of corn alcohol that tastes lightly sweet and lightly like something you could use it to disinfect your foot or clean a CPU with.

But maybe now I can add my own flavoring to it? I got some kitchen baking goods that could be used to emulate a more complex whiskey profile. I mean, gently caress it, what's there to lose?

I'll have to think a little bit more on what to add, but if anybody has any bad ideas I'd appreciate them.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
They make little wood sticks you can put in a bottle of whisky to ‘enhance’ it. I think they are called whisky elements. I have no idea if they work, but could be an interesting experiment.

If you do it, make sure to set some whisky aside so you can do a taste test!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I've heard of whiskey dick but not whiskey sticks. :flaccid:

Put a charred white oak stick in your terrible whiskey, come back 7 years later and see if it tastes better.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Well, accidentally found out about one of my Christmas presents early, and I now know in a few days I have a bottle of the Glenfiddich Fire and Cane to enjoy. Really looking forward to opening that one up.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I picked up the bottle of Stagg Jr that I ordered to my local state store and just had my first taste. Incredibly high proof, but add a splash of water and my only regret is ordering only 1 bottle. This stuff is delicious.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Odd Mutant posted:

I bought a $5 bottle of Revel Stroke Blended Canadian Whiskey and oh boy was it the worse thing ever. I forgot how bad cheap alcohol can be. A reminder of "Oh yeah, it can stink and taste like hydrogen peroxide."

But instead of throwing it out, I decided to have a little fun with this and read up on what you can do with bad alcohol. I saw a foodhack where you can put bad vodka through a charcoal water filter to "remove chemical impurities" that can attribute to that "non-edible alcohol product" characteristic and decided to give it a shot with the whiskey and filter it through my Brita water pitcher 11 times.

And it actually significantly improved it! Somewhat. Sort of. What I mean to say is that while it significantly removed the bad chemical smell and taste, it may have also removed other flavor characteristics from the whiskey (or this $5 bottle of crap didn't have any to begin with.) Either way I now have a bottle of corn alcohol that tastes lightly sweet and lightly like something you could use it to disinfect your foot or clean a CPU with.

But maybe now I can add my own flavoring to it? I got some kitchen baking goods that could be used to emulate a more complex whiskey profile. I mean, gently caress it, what's there to lose?
Unfortunately this is not worth it, because you're wearing out your filters improving this awful liquor. I recommend putting it in Coke or orange juice or whatever.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I was at 2 Christmas parties last night and had some Blanton's, Basil Hayden and Makers. I like most Buffalo Trace products that I've tried but I neither liked nor disliked the Blantons. I was the same way about the Basil since I like the Knob Creek line of Beam Suntory products too. The Makers was ok but probably my least liked of those 3. I'm waiting until later to try my GTS and hope I'm not too disappointed. I'm sticking with ECBP and KC Single Barrel as my drinking bourbons for now.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I'm leaving for London and Edinburgh (from the Midwest USA) tomorrow.

You best loving believe I'm excited to drink my weight in decent booze. <3

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

That's awesome. Please report back! I'm actually headed to both places in a few months for the first time.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I’m officially on the ‘nice’ list at my local liquor store. I stopped in there the other day to pickup a bottle of eagle rare to give my buddy and the manager said, ‘hey, I might have something else for you.’

He listed off a few bottles they’ve been holding back for their preferred customers. Most of it was somewhat tough to find bourbons:

Angels envy cask strength
Wood ford masters collection
Little book
Parker’s heritage curaçao finish

I picked up the parkers just because I like sweeter stuff and it sounds interesting. Might end up being terrible, but I told the manager I’d bring a sample back for him and he seemed to appreciate that.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

An friend’s dad, who associates quality with price, gave me a serving of the the Angels Envy Cask Strength. It tasted like mediocre bourbon mixed with grape jelly, which I didn’t have the heart to tell him.

I cannot fathom how they charge what they do for that stuff.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I'm surprised that the port finish of the Angel's Envy Cask Strength is so overpowering. Are you still going to finish the bottle or just set it aside?

Cracking open the GTS tonight. Will have a trip report later.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Interesting, Angel's Envy was in this new Straight Up: Kentucky Bourbon (2018) documentary a lot but I'd never heard of them. Also Four Roses (neat they were one of the distilleries allowed during prohibition) and a few others.

At a whisky bar how much would a shot of Pappy etc high end stuff cost usually? Probably the only way I'd ever try it but not if it is $50 for a drink!

I really don't think anyone will ever beat the price/quality of $19.99 handles of Evan Williams Black.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

sadus posted:

Interesting, Angel's Envy was in this new Straight Up: Kentucky Bourbon (2018) documentary a lot but I'd never heard of them. Also Four Roses (neat they were one of the distilleries allowed during prohibition) and a few others.

At a whisky bar how much would a shot of Pappy etc high end stuff cost usually? Probably the only way I'd ever try it but not if it is $50 for a drink!

I really don't think anyone will ever beat the price/quality of $19.99 handles of Evan Williams Black.
A few bars in NYC will serve Pappy and BTAC but prices are insane. First unlike a normal 2 oz pour a lot of the Pappy/OVW pours are only 1 oz.

Here is Ward III's pricing:

Old Rip Van Winkle 10Yr 90° | 1oz (20); 2oz (40)
Old Rip Van Winkle 10Yr 107° | 1oz (22); 2oz (44)
Pappy Van Winkle 12Yr Lot B | 1oz (25); 2oz (50)
Pappy Van Winkle 15Yr | 1oz (45); 2oz (90)
Pappy Van Winkle 20Yr | 1oz (55); 2oz (110)
Pappy Van Winkle 23Yr | 1oz (80); 2oz (160)

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

sadus posted:

I used to buy Angel's Envy a lot when I could find it locally for $30-35. Now it's 50-60 and there's stuff I like better at that price range, but I'd say it's definitely worth trying. It's what my liquor store owner friend recommends to people who are new to bourbon because it's smooth and on the sweeter side. It's also the only liquor my mom will drink.

Their rye is too sweet for me though.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
So far, as a new home owner, poo poo is so far off my price range in London that I look longingly toward mid shelf.

I'll pick up some stuff on a clue, received by a good friend of mine, from Cadenhead in Edinburgh.

Await updates. I know I am. Unfortunately, I don't arrive in Scotland for a week or so.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Goddamnit. I just tried the George T Stagg 2018 back to back with my two favorites Knob Creek Single Barrel and Elijah Craig Barrel Proof C917 and while the KCSB and ECBP are very good, the GTS is outstanding. I didn't want to like it. I just wanted to declare it overrated and never get it again. Now I have to get one BTAC bottle a year. What's weird is that I didn't like Stagg Jr. all that much so I figured it would be more of the same but it's so much better. It's so well balanced. Oakiness without astrigency. Sweetness without cloying. Round and full palate with all the traditional bourbon notes plus a multitude of complex fruit notes. Powerful without harshness. Doesn't get too tannic. Definitely not spicy though. Cherries, oak, vanilla, caramel over spice is the aggregate nose and palate. So smooth.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 22, 2018

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Yuns posted:

Goddamnit. I just tried the George T Stagg 2018 back to back with my two favorites Knob Creek Single Barrel and Elijah Craig Barrel Proof C917 and while the KCSB and ECBP are very good, the GTS is outstanding. I didn't want to like it. I just wanted to declare it overrated and never get it again. Now I have to get one BTAC bottle a year. What's weird is that I didn't like Stagg Jr. all that much so I figured it would be more of the same but it's so much better. It's so well balanced. Oakiness without astrigency. Sweetness without cloying. Round and full palate with all the traditional bourbon notes plus a multitude of complex fruit notes. Powerful without harshness. Doesn't get too tannic. Definitely not spicy though. Cherries, oak, vanilla, caramel over spice is the aggregate nose and palate. So smooth.

I was really surprised when I nosed the GTS that the alcohol smell wasn’t overpowering. Definitely needed to add some water when tasting though.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Just cracked open a Four Roses Single Barrel that I bought for Christmas and I have to say... I've never considered bourbons a worthwile thing because every one I've tasted has been heinous.

However, this thing is absolutely excellent. Very mellow, dangerously subtle and nice and an absolute treat. Incredibly drinkable. I am very happy.

E: for anyone who's previously avoided bourbons on principle, there's reason to reconsider. I don't get much american stuff over here, but this is just great.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Dec 24, 2018

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Their Small Batch (plus binging the show Justified) is what got me into bourbon after thinking I hated it for years.

I’ve yet to find anything that beats the Single Barrel for me.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The first time I really enjoyed a bourbon was when I had four roses single barrel paired with some smoked duck and it was a revelation.

My favorite bourbon to date is pappy. I had it about a decade ago though when availability in Europe was very spotty but prices weren't that crazy yet. I think I paid like €60 or something. At the time that was a lot of money for a bourbon still.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Well, I got the idea from this thread so I guess that means you all give good advice.

It's gonna be a good Jul. Merry Christmas, folks!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Well my family came through this year for Christmas. Here’s the haul:

Aberlour A’bunadh Batch 47. Apparently this was sitting in a little liquor store at like $77 , which is $20 less than the current stuff costs around here. I think they are up to Batch 62 now, so this is likely a year or two old. If I enjoy this I might have to go see if they have another one on the shelf.

Dalmore Port wood reserve

Glenmorangie 18

Macallan 12 triple cask

Obama 14

Pretty solid!!

I’m currently trying out the parkers heritage curaçao finish right now, it’s quite pleasant. I like sweeter things so I love the bits of orange dreamsicle on the nose and palate, it was a good move to bottle at 110 proof because an 80 or 90 proof would likely be just to weak for the sweetness the curaçao brings . The orange isn’t too overpowering though, they did a good job keeping it fairly subdued. I was worried this was going to taste like a flavored whisky, but it doesn’t.

I’m digging it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not a highly sought after release or highly reviewed, it’s definitely different. But dang if I don’t find it tasty.

Tough to recommend any bourbon at $100 when there’s so much good stuff in the $20-$40 range, but if you see it in a bar I’d suggest a small pour if you don’t mind a bit of fruit/sweetness.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Obama 14, some tasting notes please.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

wormil posted:

Obama 14, some tasting notes please.

Lol, drat phone!

Oban 14 of course. 14 year old Obama would definitely be forbidden.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

How do you recall flavors?
Say you drink a whisky tonight. You can even write down some tasting notes.
A week from today. Can you actually remember what it tasted like? Or simply that it was good/bad/some other score?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

zmcnulty posted:

A week from today. Can you actually remember what it tasted like? Or simply that it was good/bad/some other score?

I tend to remember the really distinct aspects for days / weeks after, but not super specifics beyond ‘ I liked this one a lot’ or ‘this was pretty bland’.

For instance, I had a sample of Wyoming Whiskey Outryder the other day and it was the first time I got a really sharp green apple smell on the nose. That’s stuck with me.

I had a glass of Aberlour 16 the other day as well and I can remember the overripe plum taste still.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

zmcnulty posted:

When I'm out drinking socially, I usually don't recall too much other than whether I liked it or not and broad thoughts like sweet or oaky. Lately though, I've been trying to learn more about bourbons and so I've been tasting them at home and taking notes. I do a lot of back to back tasting which really helps identify differences in smell and flavor. I'll smell the bourbon after the pour then let it sit then smell it again after its sat a bit. Then when drinking I'll keep the bourbons in my mouth for while and roll it around and then I'll write down notes on nose, palate, and finish. It's been an interesting experience. In my small collection, I've been tasting and comparing: Hudson Four Grain and Baby Bourbon, Michters, Elijah Craig Small Batch (store pick), Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, Knob Creek Single Barrel, Woodford Reserve Batch Proof, Maker's Mark Cask Strength, Knob Creek Single Barrel Rye, George T Stagg 2018, EH Taylor Straight Rye, WL Weller Antique 107, and Jack Daniel Single Barrel Select. In addition, I've drank Stagg Jr, Jefferson, Blantons, Basil Hayden's recently at restaurants. It's been educational comparing them all. Try tasting two different bourbons at home back to back and taking some notes.

Honestly though I can't taste half the stuff people describe.

Here are my notes on the Woodford Batch Proof that I took after a back to back with KCSB and ECBP because its so different than Elijah Craig or Knob Creek:
Nose – Very different than other bourbons which are more the traditional caramel and vanilla notes from the Woodford I get Cherry Coke, almost effervescent, Citrus, Green Apple - Cinnamon?
Palate – Much drier than expected; I thought with such fruit notes in the nose that this would be sweet and fruity but the fruit disappears with the initial sip and then reappears in the finish with oakiness in the end.
I think this will be a love it or hate it bourbon.

In comparison the Elijah Craig Barrel Proof C917
Nose – I immediately get intense Vanilla, the second note is caramel sweetness, there some kind of Floral Bright note and a contrasting Musty Oak Undertone, Plum?
Palate -Blast of initial sweetness really palatable, caramel and plum notes come out and then astrigent oak.

I am probably completely full of poo poo but that's what I thought I experienced.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 26, 2018

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Enigma posted:

That's awesome. Please report back! I'm actually headed to both places in a few months for the first time.

Never touch Monkey Shoulder.

Holy ol' gently caress, what horrendous piss.

"Hey Barkeep, is that Monkey Shoulder any good?"

"Oh yes."

"Gackkk, you bastard."

EDIT:

I asked my dad what he tasted in Monkey Shoulder. He said "Monkey crotch."

Peak English humor.

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 26, 2018

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

DoctaFun posted:

I tend to remember the really distinct aspects for days / weeks after, but not super specifics beyond ‘ I liked this one a lot’ or ‘this was pretty bland’.

For instance, I had a sample of Wyoming Whiskey Outryder the other day and it was the first time I got a really sharp green apple smell on the nose. That’s stuck with me.

I had a glass of Aberlour 16 the other day as well and I can remember the overripe plum taste still.

So, follow-up question. How do you feel about spending $$$ to drink once-in-a-liftetime whiskies? Considering you're unlikely to remember specifics of the flavor. Worth spending for the other aspects of the experience?

Yuns posted:

I do a lot of back to back tasting which really helps identify differences in smell and flavor

When I'm actually there with the dram in front of me I am usually okay. If possible, I write my tasting notes before reading anyone else's. And I find that I end up describing some of the same flavors that professionals do, when I read their tasting notes after writing my own. Back to back does make things drastically easier too.

I was more wondering about being able to recall that flavor after the fact. Some people seem to have gastronomic memory, like they can pick up a whisky, try it, and be like "oh this reminds me of Glen Grant 18, not that 2017 crap, but the original 2016 release. And with more vanilla." I can't seem to do this for the life of me. Yet I don't think it's due to inexperience either, since it's the same situation for whisky I've literally drank gallons of.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Monkey Shoulder is meh until you add a bit of water, and then it becomes above average for a low priced vatted malt.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

zmcnulty posted:

So, follow-up question. How do you feel about spending $$$ to drink once-in-a-liftetime whiskies? Considering you're unlikely to remember specifics of the flavor. Worth spending for the other aspects of the experience?

I’m probably not the best person to ask here, as there others who post here with much more experience with high $$$ bottles (20, 30+ year expressions, limited releases, etc).

For me, it depends on your financial situation and what you ‘get’ out of the experience. There’s a few people I’d probably go out and spend $40+ on a pour of scotch or something(although I’m far more likely to find 2-3 guys and split a bottle as the cost isn’t too far off), but that’s a small group of friends or family who will enjoy the drink, but really just enjoy the experience of trying something fancy, new, in good company.

In my humble opinion, it’s very unlikely that you will get an extra $250 of ‘value’ or even gap in quality between a $75 bottle of whisky and a $325. I think there absolutely are some diminishing returns. When I was younger I though more $$$ meant ‘smoother’ as in no burn. And while that can be true to a degree, I’m finding that I am starting to like some of the highest proof stuff, and naturally those will have some bite of you don’t dilute.

I did get to try some Rip Van Winkle 12 about a month ago and it was certainly good, but I’m glad it was a tasting because I would never pay $450 for it on the secondary market. I think you can get something 90% ‘as good’ for $40.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

So I tried my new Pikesville Rye.

Very good, but very strong, it's 110 proof. Added a splash of water and that mellowed it a bit but I'm not sure if I can say I like it any better than the cheaper rittenhouse bonded rye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
There’s a liquor store in the twin cities here that has laphroaig 10 on sale for $29.99, I wish I liked the stuff more cause I’d stock up!