Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I’ve been in San Francisco for a work conference, so I’ve been hitting up a couple local liquor stores just to see what they have.

Found a bottle of willett single barrel rye, 6 year for $60.

Turns out they mistakenly put it out with the 4 year small batch. Pretty great deal!

Went back to the same shop today and they just got in some store pick Blanton’s. Pretty good couple of days!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
i'm in switzerland for work - any duty-free exclusive single malts i should look for on my way home? laphroaig is usually my go to, but it looks like their current duty free lineup has pretty meh reviews.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Vox Nihili posted:

I've been drinking Rare Breed recently (cask strength Wild Turkey). It's no ECBP or Stagg Jr, but for $38 it gets the job done almost as well and at (approximately) half the price. Basically a big old funky cinnamon bomb.

I picked this up a couple weeks ago since I'm a big cinnamon fan and but only until now invested some time into it. Yeah, it's a funky cinnamon bomb alright. I quite like it. I'd probably love it if it was cheaper but it's very nice for what it is.

Also for some reason Henry McKenna Single Barrel is rare in my area, but the $40 bottle I picked up is pretty weird tasting. Some of the flavor is like.. Lamb with mint?

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 6, 2019

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I finally opened a bottle of Highland Park Einar last weekend, in celebration for finally paying off my student loan. I know there's been some talk about letting a whisky breathe, but I never experienced it until I had another glass this weekend.

My God did the taste really come out. Compared to last night, my first sips were heavily muted.

Mr. Glass posted:

i'm in switzerland for work - any duty-free exclusive single malts i should look for on my way home? laphroaig is usually my go to, but it looks like their current duty free lineup has pretty meh reviews.

I enjoyed Laphroaig PX cask when I cracked it open a while ago. The "like a candy store burning down in a peat bog" description on the lid was pretty apt. Peat and smoke, but definitely a heavy sherry body.

I have a bottle of Four Oak, but I haven't opened it yet.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

mojo1701a posted:

I enjoyed Laphroaig PX cask when I cracked it open a while ago. The "like a candy store burning down in a peat bog" description on the lid was pretty apt. Peat and smoke, but definitely a heavy sherry body.

I have a bottle of Four Oak, but I haven't opened it yet.

awesome, thanks for the rec. it looks like they may also have some limited edition Bruichladdich releases (Octomore Masterclass, Port Charlotte) which i can't get in PA so i may keep an eye out for those as well.

java
May 7, 2005

Through sheer dumb luck, I’ve managed to snag a couple of bottles of Pappy in the past few months. Thinking I’m going to hold onto the 20 year for a really special occasion, and possibly sell the 15 year. Having never ventured into the secondary market before, what’s the best way to do so?

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

java posted:

Through sheer dumb luck, I’ve managed to snag a couple of bottles of Pappy in the past few months. Thinking I’m going to hold onto the 20 year for a really special occasion, and possibly sell the 15 year. Having never ventured into the secondary market before, what’s the best way to do so?

There are many Facebook groups that allow reselling so either find your local/state whiskey group or join some of the national ones like Bourbon Secondary Market (BSM). Being new to the group and having a Pappy, you may want to sell some other bottles first before the Pappy to raise your cred a little. If you don't have references, you may have trouble getting the price you want for it.

Many of the groups have rules about selling Pappy specifically (measuring the foil, listing the serial number from the bottle) so make sure that you read the rules of the group very carefully. There are many private groups/websites but you generally have to be invited to those.

Also, you can sell it to me.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
The BSM Facebook group would be your best bet. I also may be interested in buying it depending on what kind of secondary pricing you want for it.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 16, 2019

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

java posted:

I've only had the 20 (an older bottle that a friend brought for a birthday years ago) and it was great, but I've heard the 15 is the best of the bunch. IMO, sell the 20 (which has a bigger value on the secondary) and drink the 15 (which is much richer at 107 proof and less over-oaked than the otherwise thin 90-proof 20). Again, this is mostly secondhand advice since I haven't personally had the 15, but that's what I would probably do in your situation.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 16, 2019

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Or I guess sell them both and buy a literal barrel of Wild Turkey. Which, when empty, would make a rad bathtub.

java
May 7, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

I've only had the 20 (an older bottle that a friend brought for a birthday years ago) and it was great, but I've heard the 15 is the best of the bunch. IMO, sell the 20 (which has a bigger value on the secondary) and drink the 15 (which is much richer at 107 proof and less over-oaked than the otherwise thin 90-proof 20). Again, this is mostly secondhand advice since I haven't personally had the 15, but that's what I would probably do in your situation.

Greatly appreciate the advice! I've actually never had Pappy period and don't know much about which is preferred. I'm actually a big fan of Four Roses single barrels and that's much more my wheelhouse of experience. I'll ponder this.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
If/when you do try one, let us know how it goes! I got some interesting cherry notes out of the 20 I tried, which is something I have always read about in reviews but hadn't ever tasted before in a bourbon. Ivd also heard other folks say they were just completely let down.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
The 23 year is the worst of the lot, its overcooked. I personally like the 20yr over 15yr because the 20yr is well rounded and 15yr still had an edge to it. Obviously, if you like the slight bite then 15 is the way to go.

If you don't like wheaters, then you may think it's all trash.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Have you tried Makers 46? I got cherry out of that.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Enigma posted:

Have you tried Makers 46? I got cherry out of that.

I've tried regular Makers and the barrel proof version, but not the 46. May have to swing back around eventually once I clear out some shelf space.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I tried the 15 vs the 23 vs WLW at a bar, and I though the 23 was the worst of the bunch. The 15 and WLW were both really good. Some people say that the 20 is the sweet spot though.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Vox Nihili posted:

I've tried regular Makers and the barrel proof version, but not the 46. May have to swing back around eventually once I clear out some shelf space.

It’s very good. Wheaters aren’t really my thing, but the 46 is an exception.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Yuns posted:

I tried the 15 vs the 23 vs WLW at a bar, and I though the 23 was the worst of the bunch. The 15 and WLW were both really good. Some people say that the 20 is the sweet spot though.

15 is my favorite of the lot, 23 isn't worth the money. But to be honest 15 isn't worth the markup either. I am happy guzzling endless amounts of OWA for 30 bucks a pop as my go to wheated.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Enigma posted:

Or I guess sell them both and buy a literal barrel of Wild Turkey. Which, when empty, would make a rad bathtub.

Empty barrel? Just shove myself into the full barrel and put the top back on...

E: call it an antiseptic bath or something so people aren’t constantly opening the lid to “help” me. Bitch I’m filter feeding at this point!

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 17, 2019

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Vox Nihili posted:

If/when you do try one, let us know how it goes! I got some interesting cherry notes out of the 20 I tried, which is something I have always read about in reviews but hadn't ever tasted before in a bourbon. Ivd also heard other folks say they were just completely let down.

I think Evan Williams single barrel has a bit of cherry taste to me.

Also, I really have enjoyed Maker’s Mark cask strength for those looking for higher proof wheaters that are actually findable. Big improvement over the standard makers, but I think I’m finding that I prefer spicier bourbons.

My whisky collection is getting out of control now, so I might be on a purchasing hiatus.

Until I find something neat next time I’m at the liquor store.

java
May 7, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

I think Evan Williams single barrel has a bit of cherry taste to me.

Also, I really have enjoyed Maker’s Mark cask strength for those looking for higher proof wheaters that are actually findable. Big improvement over the standard makers, but I think I’m finding that I prefer spicier bourbons.

My whisky collection is getting out of control now, so I might be on a purchasing hiatus.

Until I find something neat next time I’m at the liquor store.

How many bottles constitutes "out of control?" Asking before I get too deep.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

java posted:

If you know how many bottles you have then it's not out of hand (yet).

java
May 7, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

Fair!

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Vox Nihili posted:

This is the correct answer.

At one point I had a spreadsheet inventory
I stopped updating that about a year ago because it was too much effort

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

java posted:

I fall into the , ‘ I don’t know how many I have’ bucket. I bet it’s in the 50ish range.

However, its a wide collection, the only bottles I have multiples of are Blanton’s, Balvenie 14, and Aberlour A’bunadh Batch 47.

The Blanton’s is because I have a soft spot for it, so when I see a bottle I’ll generally grab it.

Balvenie were gifts.

A’bunadh, well I got on for Christmas this year and loved it, and found out the store had two bottles left at $60 or $70, which is $30 cheaper than the price of the newer batches.

I don’t have any unicorns that I bought to stare at, but I also don’t want every bottle open at once, so many aren’t opened.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Whats everyones opinion on Jack Daniels

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
I like Mellow Corn better, but it's not the worst thing I have ever consumed.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Unpopular opinion incoming, I did a barrel proof flight the other day and I liked JD single barrel barrel proof better than Elijah Craig barrel proof :/

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

DoctaFun posted:

Unpopular opinion incoming, I did a barrel proof flight the other day and I liked JD single barrel barrel proof better than Elijah Craig barrel proof :/

I have both at home and I’m going to disagree. But that’s the best thing about what you like, it’s all personal.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Control Volume posted:

Whats everyones opinion on Jack Daniels

Best after awakening from a terrible dream.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I have both at home and I’m going to disagree. But that’s the best thing about what you like, it’s all personal.

It’s definitely possible the palate was just off that night, but I think EC stuff just isn’t right for me.

I did pick up a High West Double Rye Barrel select today that was finished in moscatel barrels for an extra year and it’s really great!

I also missed out on a 15 year old knob creek store pick by a matter of hours :(. I’ve said it before, but the store pick knob creeks are like the best value in bourbon right now. I have a 13 year bottle that I picked up for $38, meanwhile bookers is a little bit stronger, twice that price and aged half as long from I think the same juice(probably different barrel locations I’d imagine though).

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
The 12+ year knob Creek store picks are great value, yeah (I have like 3 different ones now, all 13 or 14 years old). Very nearly cask strength and great depth of flavor.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I cut way back on whiskey (and beer) for Lent* and am very thirsty right now. Planning on opening up a bunch of bottles later next week and going to town. Nothing fancy by this thread's standards, but there's still an obscene amount of whiskey I haven't tried and I figure there's no sense going big when I've yet to even scratch the surface of what's affordable and easily available. Wanted something Japanese, an Islay scotch, and a bottle of complete trash. Went with Nikka Coffey Grain, Laphroaig, and something called Ten High.

* I haven't been Catholic for years but it was an excuse to cut back on calories for six weeks.

java
May 7, 2005

Got a bottle of the new Four Roses Small Batch select and am excited to try it out sometime soon. Out of curiosity, how you do you all prefer your bourbon/whiskey/scotch and how firm is that preference? I've always had mine with a a few cubes of ice, but am always worried that I'm wasting it by watering it down.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

When trying new stuff I first try it straight, then add a few drops, then twice up. Separately, I make a highball. If it's cheap I'll also do one samboa style. If it's high abv I do one with an ice ball. So yes that's like 4+ servings out of any given bottle, but it's worth it to me. Anything that ends up in someone's stomach I don't consider a waste.

In my experience different whiskies have different "better" ways of being enjoyed by me personally. Finding that better way is part of the process, rather than just saying for example all whisky must be consumed straight. If you explore a bit, then conclude that you do indeed prefer the whisky with ice, by all means drink it with ice. Don't let anyone tell you there is a right or wrong way... one of my friends prefers her whisky with ginger ale.

edit: Specifically to your concerns about dilution. I've not tried them myself, but you can get stainless steel ice cubes or whisky stones. Cools the drink but won't melt either. On the other hand some people prefer to drink a whisky that gets more and more diluted as the ice melts, as it will bring out different flavors and aromas as you drink it. That's the objective of a mist, for example. Nicer whisky bars will ask you if you prefer a smooth or rough ice ball to accommodate your preferences here.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 24, 2019

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Always neat, unless on the rare occasion I’m in the mood for an old fashioned or manhattan. WT101 with lemon juice and ginger beer (fever tree is my favorite) over ice is also great.

You are diluting it by adding ice. You can get molds for large ice cubes or spheres that will melt slower. You’re also numbing your taste buds from the cold. I’ve tried whiskey stones, and the ones I had didn’t do anything at best, and at worst they’d slide down the glass and try to take a tooth out.

But if that’s how you enjoy it, life is short, do what makes you happy. Don’t let anyone tell you how to enjoy your whiskey.

Enigma fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 24, 2019

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I use ice if its cheap whiskey and I want to be an ice n' whiskey kinda guy. Otherwise it's always straight.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

90-100 proof I drink straight. Anything higher gets an ice cube or a bit of water.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I used to always use like one ice cube for bourbon and drink scotch straight, but lately I’ve moved to neat or neat + tiny bit of water for higher proof stuff.

Definitely no wrong way, but if you are adding a lot of ice or water I wouldn’t expect to appreciate the differences between bottles as much. Or put differently, no need to buy really expensive stuff.

My dad for instance is a whisky water guy. He buys exclusively stuff in the $18-30 range. I buy him nice bottles for his bday and stuff and he appreciates them, but has said they all taste more or less the same when they’ve been diluted to such a low proof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Conversely, you can buy Old Grandad 114 for $30 and dilute it to make like a bottle and a half of Basil Hayden, which runs like $50 for a bottle.

My dad only drinks JD Tennessee Honey on the rocks, so yeah don’t feel bad about ice.

Enigma fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 24, 2019