Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Yeah crystal decanters are a no-no
Porcelain ones don't usually have the same problem but I also usually see people take the caution of pouring the whiskey from those into a glass bottle for safer/cleaner storage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
If I were you, I'd pour a small sip just to satisfy curiosity. I'm not saying that's safe, I'm just saying I make poor safety decisions when I'm curious about something.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Stultus Maximus posted:

Spirits are above EPA limits in less than a week in lead crystal. That old... Yikes.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Yeah crystal decanters are a no-no
Porcelain ones don't usually have the same problem but I also usually see people take the caution of pouring the whiskey from those into a glass bottle for safer/cleaner storage

Well good thing I thought to ask/check. And given the lead crystal I probably shouldn't keep the crystal to use. Ah well sounds like it wasn't safe even when I got it though, so I'm glad it wasn't just me sitting on it for a few years that tipped it over the scales.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Tests show levels >400x EPA limits after 5 years. It's poison.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

Tests show levels >400x EPA limits after 5 years. It's poison.

haha, holy poo poo

i mean, i'd probably try a sip to sate my curiosity too, but uh... so how sweet do you think that is now?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Hauki posted:

haha, holy poo poo

i mean, i'd probably try a sip to sate my curiosity too, but uh... so how sweet do you think that is now?

My dear Hauki, you are luckily met. How remarkably well you are looking to-day. But I have received a pipe of what passes for Cutty Sark, and I have my doubts. I was silly enough to pay the full Cutty Sark price without consulting you in the matter. You were not to be found, and I was fearful of losing a bargain.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Carillon posted:

My dear Hauki, you are luckily met. How remarkably well you are looking to-day. But I have received a pipe of what passes for Cutty Sark, and I have my doubts. I was silly enough to pay the full Cutty Sark price without consulting you in the matter. You were not to be found, and I was fearful of losing a bargain.

You jest, but let us proceed to the Cutty Sark.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

On the upside the lead might make it taste nice and sweet.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
How can you tell if it's leaded crystal vs glass?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Well in this case it comes with a little note saying finest leaded crystal from baccarat.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Anyone who's seen leaded crystal glassware would know the difference. It's so pretty. Too bad about all that "poisoning you" stuff.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Anyone try the Makers Mark 2021 Finishing Series yet?

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Nope but it's on the top of my list now.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Gravitee posted:

Nope but it's on the top of my list now.

Grabbed a bottle today, but took acetaminophen after getting the covid shot so I guess I'll see how it tastes tomorrow

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I am enjoying my Highland Park 12 year. At my most reasonably priced local liquor store, the 18 year costs about $80 more, literally more than twice the price. Is it worth it? Keep in mind that my palate is still quite unrefined.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I think of their regular bottlings my favorite was the 15yo, but it's been a little while. The 18 was good, but I think the last time I had a bottle was when it was maybe $95-100. I like the 12 just fine though, especially for the price these days.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Anyone try the Makers Mark 2021 Finishing Series yet?

Yeah, this is really, really good if you like the sweeter bourbons.

Nose is very butterscotch and maple syrup, Taste is very burnt caramel and oak, maybe some sort of fruitiness like cherry, something rich. Finish is spice, vanilla, and leather.

For $55-60 this is a goddamn steal. Def a recommend if you like the overall MM profile of flavors. I think I'm gonna grab a second bottle to tuck away for later this year.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Hauki posted:

I think of their regular bottlings my favorite was the 15yo, but it's been a little while. The 18 was good, but I think the last time I had a bottle was when it was maybe $95-100. I like the 12 just fine though, especially for the price these days.

I think the 15 year was axed with the Viking branding. In any case, my liquor store doesn’t carry it.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Casu Marzu posted:

Yeah, this is really, really good if you like the sweeter bourbons.

Nose is very butterscotch and maple syrup, Taste is very burnt caramel and oak, maybe some sort of fruitiness like cherry, something rich. Finish is spice, vanilla, and leather.

For $55-60 this is a goddamn steal. Def a recommend if you like the overall MM profile of flavors. I think I'm gonna grab a second bottle to tuck away for later this year.

I loved loved loved the 2019 LE. Is it better than that if you've tried both?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Gravitee posted:

I loved loved loved the 2019 LE. Is it better than that if you've tried both?

I don't 100% recall the 2019, but from what I remember, I feel like the 2021 is better. I think the half charred staves added a lot to the finished product. It's super well rounded and complex, better than a lot of the bottles I paid quite a bit more for than this, too.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 11, 2021

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Alright, I tried another Manhattan tonight, this time with Elijah Craig instead of willett pot still. It’s 100x better, and now I get why it’s considered a quintessential whiskey cocktail.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
I get my annual bonus on 4/15, and I like to buy a single expensive bottle of whiskey as a treat. In a striking coincidence, my local shop just struck up a deal with an importer to get French liquors, and are preselling a whiskey that's 5 years older than me for $150. What's funny is that this is also the place my friends and I would spend like $50 to get a pony keg of crap beer for college drinking. I am looking forward to not only seeing them again, but sharing this bottle while playing this song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQVNQVvyDWg

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Coco13 posted:

get French liquors, and are preselling a whiskey that's 5 years older than me for $150.

What French Whiskey? France is more known for brandy.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

There's a handful of French whisky distillers, they're alright I guess but nothing special.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Ogmius815 posted:

I am enjoying my Highland Park 12 year. At my most reasonably priced local liquor store, the 18 year costs about $80 more, literally more than twice the price. Is it worth it? Keep in mind that my palate is still quite unrefined.

I've seen a Highland Park "Twisted Tattoo" on shelves for ~$80, it's 16 years old and bottled at something like 47% abv, mixed bourbon and rioja wine finish. If you can live with some gimmicky branding it's probably a better value.

Highland Park "Full Volume" is also on shelves still, presumably due to its terrible packaging (worst branding I have seen on Scotch), it's 17 years old also 47% abv, ~$90. Reviews say it's solid despite the dumb packaging.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 11, 2021

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Good god do they need to sort out their marketing team, though:

OUR WHISKY

DRIVEN BY OUR VIKING SOUL, WHAT WE MAKE IS THE PRODUCT OF OUR BATTLE FOR BALANCE, OUR DESIRE FOR HARMONY.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

How do I tell if my crystal is lead? I put some in my decanter last year and I really don’t want to pour it away lol

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Bape Culture posted:

How do I tell if my crystal is lead? I put some in my decanter last year and I really don’t want to pour it away lol

If you hit it with a spoon and it rings out, it’s likely leaded. If it’s a “thunk,” probably not.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

I've seen a Highland Park "Twisted Tattoo" on shelves for ~$80, it's 16 years old and bottled at something like 47% abv, mixed bourbon and rioja wine finish. If you can live with some gimmicky branding it's probably a better value.

Highland Park "Full Volume" is also on shelves still, presumably due to its terrible packaging (worst branding I have seen on Scotch), it's 17 years old also 47% abv, ~$90. Reviews say it's solid despite the dumb packaging.

I have both of these bottles, got both on discount, and they're both fantastic

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Vox Nihili posted:

OUR WHISKY

DRIVEN BY OUR VIKING SOUL, WHAT WE MAKE IS THE PRODUCT OF OUR BATTLE FOR BALANCE, OUR DESIRE FOR HARMONY.

AND FENDER AMPS

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

spankmeister posted:

There's a handful of French whisky distillers, they're alright I guess but nothing special.

This one's from Dartilagongue. And to fully admit to the egg on my face, there were whiskeys offered, this one is compared to whiskeys, but is actually an armagnac, which is closer to a brandy.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Toebone posted:

AND FENDER AMPS

Cross between a Spinal Tap and Led Zeppelin themed whisky

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Coco13 posted:

This one's from Dartilagongue. And to fully admit to the egg on my face, there were whiskeys offered, this one is compared to whiskeys, but is actually an armagnac, which is closer to a brandy.

Oh, I see. Yeah Armagnac _is_ brandy and imo often better than cognac. (Just like other sparkling wines can often be better than Champagne.)

Vox Nihili posted:

OUR WHISKY

Their marketing is so ridiculous that I refuse to buy their product, no matter how good it is.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I can't wait for Highland Park Beowulf Edition: Our Geatest single malt expression yet.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Bought Compass Box Glasgow blend and have been really pleasantly surprised. It's smokey on the nose but sherry sweet I find drinking it. Does anyone know what the constituent juice is in the blend?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Carillon posted:

Bought Compass Box Glasgow blend and have been really pleasantly surprised. It's smokey on the nose but sherry sweet I find drinking it. Does anyone know what the constituent juice is in the blend?

Yes, you're in luck, Compass box is radically transparent and you can just look it up on their website.

https://www.compassboxwhisky.com/whiskies/glasgow-blend

Download the pdf and it has the recipe.

Now they've had some problems with the SWA so they no longer say how old the parts are outright but you can count the rings to find out how old each constituent whisky is. Also some of the malts will have names like "whisky from an Orkney distillery" or similar covered terms. This is because they're not always allowed to reveal the distillery by some producers but this way one van figure out what it is quite easily.

If you're confused you can email them and they'll just tell you what's in it and how old it is.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Oh fantastic! Thank you for that, I'll check it out.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

spankmeister posted:

Now they've had some problems with the SWA so they no longer say how old the parts are outright but you can count the rings to find out how old each constituent whisky is. Also some of the malts will have names like "whisky from an Orkney distillery" or similar covered terms. This is because they're not always allowed to reveal the distillery by some producers but this way one van figure out what it is quite easily.

Interesting that they can get away with the rings.
Also: Distillery near the town of Aberlour :thunk:

Looks like I really need to check them out!

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

spankmeister posted:

Yes, you're in luck, Compass box is radically transparent and you can just look it up on their website.

https://www.compassboxwhisky.com/whiskies/glasgow-blend

Download the pdf and it has the recipe.

If you're confused you can email them and they'll just tell you what's in it and how old it is.

I've wanted to try compass but have never been sure due to cost. The myths and legends are for sale around here. Worth checking out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Paul Proteus posted:

I've wanted to try compass but have never been sure due to cost. The myths and legends are for sale around here. Worth checking out?

Their special releases aren't cheap, and you should decide for yourself if you think they're worth it, but IMO they have elevated blending to an artform. I haven't had a single bottle from them that I didn't like.