Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Building up my bar now that I've moved out on my own again and I've been drinking Ezra Brooks 99 Proof. Maybe it's because it's been a long while since I've had either bourbon or anything above 40% abv, but wow is this a strong flavour. It needs more water than I assumed, and even then it still has a strong flavour with a mild level of spice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Not exactly a peathead, but my favorite smokey Scotch has been Caol Ila 12.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Not exactly a peathead, but my favorite smokey Scotch has been Caol Ila 12.

Seconding this. I do like a good amount of peat, including the smokiest, but Caol Ila 12 is so well-rounded and balanced that it's my favorite.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Muir posted:

Seconding this. I do like a good amount of peat, including the smokiest, but Caol Ila 12 is so well-rounded and balanced that it's my favorite.

It's hard to find though and I think there's a bunch in JW Black? Feels like you get close enough drinking JW.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Lowness 72 posted:

It's hard to find though and I think there's a bunch in JW Black? Feels like you get close enough drinking JW.

Not hard to find around here (California). I've never had trouble finding it and both large alcohol chains near me (BevMo, Total Wine) show it as in stock in every store near me or available for 30 minute delivery.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

pim01 posted:

Did you try their Octomore? It's super interesting and tasty (albeit ridiculously peated).

I’ve had two different Octomores, one 8.1 and one more recent that I forget. They’re always fun and interesting, but they present to me as a little one-note and more syrupy than I love in texture. If I’m dropping that much coin on a peat bomb I’m probably looking at laphroaig 25 or one of the Ardbeg specials, because they’re more complex than just “HEY HERE’S SOME PEAT FOLLOWED BY MORE PEAT.”

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Muir posted:

Not hard to find around here (California). I've never had trouble finding it and both large alcohol chains near me (BevMo, Total Wine) show it as in stock in every store near me or available for 30 minute delivery.

Interesting. Out in the northeast I rarely see it stocked. But also don't hit total wine much.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Lowness 72 posted:

Interesting. Out in the northeast I rarely see it stocked. But also don't hit total wine much.

I don't believe it's an allocated item, your local liquor store can probably order it. You'll get a better deal at Total because of their volume, though.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Ardbeg 10 and Port Charlotte 10 ended up being greatly appreciated Valentine's Day gifts for my wife, thanks to the thread for the help!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Klungar posted:

Ardbeg 10 and Port Charlotte 10 ended up being greatly appreciated Valentine's Day gifts for my wife, thanks to the thread for the help!

Awesome! We love to see the Scotch love spread.

The thread may be interested in all these "dusty" bars that are popping up; I finally went to a prominent one since an old friend with a corporate card was in town. We did a Wild Turkey spread— the '23 Generations release (apparently a mix of a 9, 11, and 14 y/o chosen by each Russell and blended), a '97 101 rye, a 94 "cheesy gold foil" 12 year, and a 1980 101 Bourbon.

The generations was a little hot at first (120 proof will do that), but it opened up a bit as we got used to drinking everything above 100pf.

The rye was the bartender's choice, and a very fine example of a well matured rye from a time when the style was deeply unfashionable. It was excellent, and we won't see its like again outside of Russell's Reserve releases for a while, so if you see one of their ryes, go for it.

The cheesy gold foil was interesting, I did in fact get a kind of gorgonzola on the nose (I think cheesy here refers to the packaging and not the notes, but I did get it, so). Definitely a wood profile that you just don't taste as much anymore, probably from the 70s stocks that brushed up against over extraction before being used in younger bottlings.

The 1980 was not my favorite, per se, but it is the one I could drink all drat night. As I told my fiancée, it was just a treat to drink something that bypassed my critical thinking skills and just registered as "drat, that's great bourbon". Since it's become an intellectual and aesthetic pursuit for so many of us, it was superb to just sip on something excellent without having to savor every impression or pick it apart. Anyway, 11/10 because it was someone else's money.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Pennsylvania decided to honor our presidents with a 50% off KC12 sale, not sure why but I’m not complaining.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Not really a whiskey question but as some of them use bourbon as base, what's a good honey liqueur for $30 or below? I've gone for Jim Bean Honey most of the time but I wonder if Tennessee Honey is better? For mixing and drinking neat I mean.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Do they still make wild turkey honey? Loved that poo poo in college.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Lowness 72 posted:

Do they still make wild turkey honey? Loved that poo poo in college.

looks like it's still being sold and is under the price range I specified!

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
If you're looking for a honey liqueur for cocktails I'd recommend Barenjager over anything whiskey-based.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

bloody ghost titty posted:

The thread may be interested in all these "dusty" bars that are popping up;

Old whiskey is super fun and I am lucky enough to have friends super into it who share stuff with me sometimes. CGF is incredibly good in my experience, rich and weird and "funky" (as everyone says about WT) with an incredibly long finish.

The best is of course the old sourced Willett bottles, especially when you get into stuff that was highly aged Stizel-Weller distillate....incredible.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Lowness 72 posted:

I'm getting back into Irish whisky. But redbreast is too expensive for daily drinking. What's good for sipping neat that's under $30?

I tried bushmills (the basic white bottle) and it was decent but lacked that pot still character. Guessing it has too much column/ grain spirit in it.

Thoughts?

LTTP but the correct answer is Green Spot

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I've drank too much Springbank 15 recently, it's kinda ruining other whiskey for me by being too good.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Spuckuk posted:

LTTP but the correct answer is Green Spot

Where are you finding Green Spot under $30? It's in the same price range as Redbreast everywhere I've seen it.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Meaty Ore posted:

Where are you finding Green Spot under $30? It's in the same price range as Redbreast everywhere I've seen it.

I like Green Spot but ya it's like $50-$60. Yellow spot.is closer to $110.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Oh also I tried Jameson Stout edition and it's not quite my jam. It tastes....thin? Like they tried to emulate a good pot still flavor but without the real thing (I could be talking out my rear end. Don't recall how Jameson is distilled).

I checked out Bushmills Black recently.though and quite liked it. I think my favorite cheaper Irish is still Powers. I really hate the new bottle design though. My eyes literally jump past the bottle now.

Thanks for all the recs guys!

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Lily Catts posted:

Not really a whiskey question but as some of them use bourbon as base, what's a good honey liqueur for $30 or below? I've gone for Jim Bean Honey most of the time but I wonder if Tennessee Honey is better? For mixing and drinking neat I mean.

Drambuie and you'll never look back.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Lowness 72 posted:

Oh also I tried Jameson Stout edition and it's not quite my jam. It tastes....thin? Like they tried to emulate a good pot still flavor but without the real thing (I could be talking out my rear end. Don't recall how Jameson is distilled).

I checked out Bushmills Black recently.though and quite liked it. I think my favorite cheaper Irish is still Powers. I really hate the new bottle design though. My eyes literally jump past the bottle now.

Thanks for all the recs guys!

Yes unfortunately $30 is going to get you mostly grain whiskey, with some pot still whiskey in there to round it out.

Have you looked at Jameson Crested? (You may have posted about it already, i forget)

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

spankmeister posted:

Yes unfortunately $30 is going to get you mostly grain whiskey, with some pot still whiskey in there to round it out.

Have you looked at Jameson Crested? (You may have posted about it already, i forget)

I have not! I've tried Jameson...12 year (?) which was delicious. I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks!

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Meaty Ore posted:

Redbreast is a good £10 a bottle more expensive over here.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Now if you want to go up (quite) a bit in price, Method and Madness releases from Midleton are fantastic.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Got a bottle of EH Taylor small batch and Weller special reserve today for retail. A good day.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

LionArcher posted:

Got a bottle of EH Taylor small batch and Weller special reserve today for retail. A good day.

I saw a bottle of Weller special for $140. A bad day

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Veskit posted:

I saw a bottle of Weller special for $140. A bad day

I paid $37 for Weller (it’s my backup bottle) and $50 for Taylor.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Green spot is now $65 here, but Weller is still $28 if you can find it.

I hate the liquor acquisition system in my state

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
PA is rough because they all get identical stuff and it’s boring to go “bourbon hunting” but at least all the stuff is at or near MSRP. Once you learn how to game the system you can have unlimited Blanton’s, Eagle Rare, and Buffalo Trace I guess, if that’s your thing. The online drops are also sort of game-able and there’s usually more variety there but all the best stuff goes to lottery with millions of entries.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Lyon posted:

PA is rough because they all get identical stuff and it’s boring to go “bourbon hunting” but at least all the stuff is at or near MSRP. Once you learn how to game the system you can have unlimited Blanton’s, Eagle Rare, and Buffalo Trace I guess, if that’s your thing. The online drops are also sort of game-able and there’s usually more variety there but all the best stuff goes to lottery with millions of entries.

Yeah, Blanton's isn't hard here. It's about once every other month for "retail" which is now $69. I just picked up a backup of it, and I don't know how I feel about picking up anymore bottles for awhile. I don't actually drink very often (I bartend so I can have shift drinks when I'm done,). Eagle rare sits on the shelf for a few weeks, as does buffalo trace.

It's stuff like Stag Jr, Weller's red, white orange and blue, and Taylor's that are harder to get.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

LionArcher posted:

Yeah, Blanton's isn't hard here. It's about once every other month for "retail" which is now $69. I just picked up a backup of it, and I don't know how I feel about picking up anymore bottles for awhile. I don't actually drink very often (I bartend so I can have shift drinks when I'm done,). Eagle rare sits on the shelf for a few weeks, as does buffalo trace.

It's stuff like Stag Jr, Weller's red, white orange and blue, and Taylor's that are harder to get.

Stagg, any Weller other than green label, and any Taylor other than small batch are basically lottery in PA. They get some OWA store picks once and a while that go up online but it's really hard to get.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

lol just ordered a r/bourbon bottle pick with this blend, it's either going to be super interesting or taste like death. the r/bourbon picks have been pretty good though, so fingers crossed.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

lol just ordered a r/bourbon bottle pick with this blend, it's either going to be super interesting or taste like death. the r/bourbon picks have been pretty good though, so fingers crossed.

Wait, so r/bourbon is sourcing and bottling its own juice, or is someone on reddit buying lots of finished goods, blending them in their house, and shipping out to redditors who venmo them?

stratego
May 6, 2007

bloody ghost titty posted:

Wait, so r/bourbon is sourcing and bottling its own juice, or is someone on reddit buying lots of finished goods, blending them in their house, and shipping out to redditors who venmo them?

It's a release that r/bourbon's t8ke worked on with Barrell Craft Spirits.

https://sharedpour.com/products/barrell-t8ke-grey-label-infinite

stratego fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 27, 2024

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Barrell has more than earned my trust with their blending, so I bought some of that offering, I'm not nervous at all about the quality of the juice. They finished it in rum casks, which does make me a little bit nervous, but so far Barrell hasn't steered me wrong.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
https://twitter.com/sweatystartup/status/1773025879259480297

I admire the beautiful touch of using caffeine free coke

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Oooh! A nice lime too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

GD_American posted:

https://twitter.com/sweatystartup/status/1773025879259480297

I admire the beautiful touch of using caffeine free coke

Why would you ruin perfectly good coke like this?