Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans
Uhhh, for less than $100, this is just off the top of my head, keeping the prices of each somewhat within range of each other:

Bourbon - Elijah Craig 12 $25-30

Rye - Rittenhouse Rye 100 Proof $22 (or Old Overholt if you can't find it)

Scotch - This one is tricky because it's tough to find a really outstanding single malt for less than $40, so it depends if you want to put your money toward the bourbon\rye end or here.

Glenlivet 12 is a safe but unintersting bet. You can get Old Pulteney 12 for around sub $40. Can't really recommend Glenfiddich. My personal reccomendation here would be to spring for Johhnie Walker Black (it's a blend, I know), but it's tasty, not as punchy as the Old Pulteney and has the Johnnie Walker name that makes people go "ooh" and "ahh."

Irish Whiskey - Not a lot here for around $30. You could do the old standby of Jameson or Bushmills. Powers Gold Label Irish Whiskey is also supposed to be good.

Hope this helps, somewhat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Looking for a Scotch as a Christmas present for my dad. He tends toward either Johnnie Walker Red or The Famous Grouse as his "every-day" whisky. (Firefox is telling me I have misspelled that. :mad:)

How is Johnnie Walker Green Label? It's a blend but it seems to have good reviews on the net. Budget is ~$80.00 max.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Previa_fun posted:

Looking for a Scotch as a Christmas present for my dad. He tends toward either Johnnie Walker Red or The Famous Grouse as his "every-day" whisky. (Firefox is telling me I have misspelled that. :mad:)

How is Johnnie Walker Green Label? It's a blend but it seems to have good reviews on the net. Budget is ~$80.00 max.
He may not like Green Label his preferred whiskies are any indication. Maybe just get him a bottle of Gold Label instead?

Other generally available whiskies I like under $80:

Oban 14, Balvenie Single Barrel, Glendronach 15, Clynelish 14, Compass Box Oak Cross, Compass Box Spice Tree, Springbank 10.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

kidsafe posted:

He may not like Green Label his preferred whiskies are any indication. Maybe just get him a bottle of Gold Label instead?

Other generally available whiskies I like under $80:

Oban 14, Balvenie Single Barrel, Glendronach 15, Clynelish 14, Compass Box Oak Cross, Compass Box Spice Tree, Springbank 10.

Gold label was also on my list, thanks. I'm more of a bourbon drinker (other than a bottle of Glenlivet 18 y/o that I thoroughly enjoyed) and scotch intimidates me a bit but I'll check out those other bottles you mentioned.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

NightConqueror posted:

Scotch - This one is tricky because it's tough to find a really outstanding single malt for less than $40, so it depends if you want to put your money toward the bourbon\rye end or here.

Glenlivet 12 is a safe but unintersting bet. You can get Old Pulteney 12 for around sub $40. Can't really recommend Glenfiddich. My personal reccomendation here would be to spring for Johhnie Walker Black (it's a blend, I know), but it's tasty, not as punchy as the Old Pulteney and has the Johnnie Walker name that makes people go "ooh" and "ahh."

Highland Park 12 is $40, about $5 cheaper than Glenlivet 12 on astorwines.com. I wish it was that cheap here.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Previa_fun posted:

It's the best of the line, in my (and many others) opinion. The difference is that regular blended whisky has grain whisky and malt whisky, and JW green is what they call a "blended malt"* which is still a blend but only of malt whisky, and no.grain.

I'm fairly certain he will like it, it's a good intro to malt whisky as opposed to (grain-based)blend.

*note: It used to be called a "vatted" or "pure" malt but they changed the law surrounding the naming. If you ask me vatted malt makes more sense but whatever.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
Let's taste: Ardbeg x 3

I tasted Airigh Nam Beist at a local whisky bar this summer and thought it was much better than the Supernova and Corryvreckan I sampled alongside it. In fact I thought it was good enough to warrant a purchase if I ever came across one, which unfortunately seemed unlikely since it's long out of stock almost everywhere. Thankfully The Whisky Exchange still has some bottles, so after paying their extortionate price for one I finally got a chance to know it better alongside two newer Ardbegs, the aforementioned Corryvreckan (bottled at a respectable 57% alc. vol.) and the excellently priced and delicious Uigeadail.

Colours
Uigeadail: coppery with medium redness, remniscent of other sherry-matured whiskies
Corryvreckan: sunglow
Airigh Nam Beist: golden yellow, pale but yellower than the 10yo

According to Ardbeg the Uigeadail smells like 'chocolate caramels, barley sugar, dates, raisins, leather, linseed oil', to which I'd add fried bacon with salt, the very specific smell of an old leather recliner, and, upon adding water, currant concentrate. The mouthfeel of the whisky is medium bodied, neither too watery or too oily. It bites the tongue a bit like young whisky (unsurprisingly Still Young comes to mind), but the palate is much richer than the 10yo's with the dates and oiliness promised by the nose. Slight sweetness like liquor-filled chocolates, but also the sooty smoke of a bonfire and the typical Ardbeg coastal salty aroma. The fried bacon impression returns in the aftertaste.

The Corryvreckan has a much more medicinal smell to it than the Uigeadail. The aroma is saline but harsher than other Ardbegs, like rocksalt and seawater. Similar sooty smoke as the Uigeadail but none of the sweet notes. A smell of canned peaches occasionally, promising something fruity hidden somewhere behind all the sea tones. Ardbeg claims butteriness, creaminess and roast chicken crisp, but while a greasy roasted aroma is present, I couldn't place it as the distillery did. The taste is really unique, the saltiest whisky I've known. The strength of the taste is difficult to anticipate. Bitterness, charred wood, fruit cocktail - a viking funeral boat loaded with goods and food heading into a whirlpool. For once the 'quirky name from local history' gimmick pays off as the product delivers exactly what the label promises. Surprisingly for such a powerful dram the aftertaste is a little hollow.

The Airigh Nam Beist greets me with the easily identifiable smell of vanilla, both a sweet sugarish aroma and a richer note more like ice cream. Sea air, pine soap, and some smoke although it's only fleeting compared to the two other expressions. The body is oily and soft like a Caol Ila, but only a wisp of smoke and very little soot or bitterness. Ardbeg claims the taste has a hint of bacon but compared to the Uigeadail I can't spot it; only delicate cream and a flowery aftertaste. An unusually subtle Ardbeg but after a few glasses I already remember why I fell in love with it in the first place and also why this expression gets so much praise from friends of the distillery.

Each of the above whiskies is on its own a fine drink worthy of praise and I shall not insult them by grading, as that would be like trying to answer the question 'which one of your kids do you love the most'. If you come across any of these three, by all means try if you haven't yet.

Detective Thompson posted:

How long with an opened bottle last before it goes south?

A week ago I finished the last three glasses of a Hakushu 18 that had been open since January, and couldn't complain at all. Still excellent. One of the folks that does Youtube reviews mentioned that the aroma of peat is the one that usually tends to mellow most as time passes so I'd guess the peatier the whisky the faster you want to finish it.

CoderCat posted:

I'm looking for a single malt Scotch that is as smoky as Black Label. I've tried Ardbeg Uigeadail and Laphroaig 10, and while both are very nice, I didn't find them as smoky. Any recommendations?
Try Caol Ila. The 12yo is very affordable. Most of Caol Ila's whisky actually is sold to JW for blending so it could be what you're smelling (can't say, haven't had black label in a long time). Caol Ila in general is excellent stuff and one would have to be a broken husk of a person not to be able to derive some enjoyment from it :)

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 20, 2012

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Virginia goons: the ABC is having a statewide Black Friday sale that looks like it's worth checking out:
  • All stores open at 9, with several opening at 7
  • Flat 10% discount on purchases of $50 or more (stacks with other discounts)
  • Certain items 25-50% off.
My local store isn't listed on Google maps, so I'm hoping I can show up around 11 and still find some good stuff.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Jahoodie posted:

Is there a good beer-advocate type review site for whiskey?

I've always kind of liked For Peat' Sake and have based a few purchases off of what I've read.

Senf fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 21, 2012

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
http://www.lawhiskeysociety.com/ has some reviews of less common stuff as well.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!

silvergoose posted:

I tried the Knappogue Castle 12 year Irish whiskey last night; it was good, but very, very mellow. Like, there was barely a hint of burn. Is that others' reactions too? It was just so very different from the bourbon (Evan Williams) and scotch (Balvenie) that I have had.

I've been working through a bottle of this as well, and I have a similar reaction. It's a nice whiskey, but it's so mellow it's almost boring.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Deleuzionist posted:

Let's taste: Ardbeg x 3

Well, I'm jealous. Uigeadail is a definite must buy this Christmas.

renzor
Jul 28, 2004

...I still get the ham, right? Good.
My friend in Portland is buying me a bottle in exchange for an ereader I'm giving her. The choice of where it comes from is totally up to me. Any recommendations? I pretty much enjoy all whiskey and am always excited to try something new.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Got introduced to the products of the Craigellachie distillery for the first time, a sample bottling of 12yo from 2000 by Douglas Laing and another distilled in 1993 and bottled in 2012 by Gordon & Macphail. This is a highlander so no heavy peat or smoke aromas, but rather cream and heavy malt, citrus and a little bit of sea. Not an outstanding drink but quality/price ratio is spot on. The G & M bottling is nicely aged but the cask in question appears to have been chosen conservatively, playing it safe - no particularly bold flavours to be found in it but nothing to complain about either. Squarely beats Glenfiddich & co.

renzor posted:

My friend in Portland is buying me a bottle in exchange for an ereader I'm giving her. The choice of where it comes from is totally up to me. Any recommendations? I pretty much enjoy all whiskey and am always excited to try something new.

Can you give a hint as to what the ereader cost or what would be the max price for the bottle? Would be easier to recommend something if the budget's known.

NightConqueror posted:

Well, I'm jealous. Uigeadail is a definite must buy this Christmas.
Will be a good christmas that way :)

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have a random question about sunlight. I have a rather well-stocked bar in my kitchen, which is normally well away from any direct sunlight. However, depending on the season and the time of day, I've noticed that sunlight from adjacent windows (one about 10 ft away and the other about 15 ft away) will shine on my whiskies. If I had to guess, I would say they get about 15 minutes of afternoon sun every day, depending on the weather and the season. Is this something I should worry about, or is it low enough not to cause problems?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
As a general thing, UV light is never good for food or beverages. It may not make a difference, or it may degrade things, but it's never beneficial.

Cool, dark places are best, IMO.

renzor
Jul 28, 2004

...I still get the ham, right? Good.

Deleuzionist posted:

G

Can you give a hint as to what the ereader cost or what would be the max price for the bottle? Would be easier to recommend something if the budget's known.

Max $50

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Woodford double oaked.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Single malts in that price range

Mellow highlanders & speysiders: Glenkinchie 12, Glengoyne 10, Balvenie doublewood
Islay peat & smoke brigade: Laphroaig 10, Caol Ila 12, Ardbeg 10

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

Does anyone have any experience with hopped whiskeys? I've got one of these on order:

http://www.corsairartisan.com/spirits/experimental/rasputin-hopped-whiskey/

Corsair Rasputin Hopped Whiskey posted:

To make our experimental Rasputin whiskey, we first brew a traditional Imperial stout beer. When we distill, we pass the new whiskey vapors through hops, adding spicy floral notes to the big malt and chocolate flavors of the stout. Aging in charred oak barrels adds vanilla and caramel. The end result is a rich, very complex hopped whiskey.
(No relation to North Coast Brewery or its Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout)

http://dandm.com/corsair-experimental-rasputin-american-malt-whiskey.html

Seems to run in the $50-$60 range.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012
So I picked up a bottle of Highland Park the day before Thanksgiving based on reading this thread. I cracked it open Thanksgiving Day and sweet jebus is it glorious (especially for the price). It's changed my outlook on how I have been going about my drinking of Scotch.

I've been drinking Scotch for a while, but stayed with the same 3-4 brands and never really branched out (Speyburn, Talisker, Lagavulin, Johhny Walker if I am in the mood for blended). I guess it is time to get serious and start to explore what is out there. Same goes for Bourbon and Rye too I suppose, since I don't just stick to Scotch.

MasterColin
Aug 4, 2006
Anyone had the Balvenie 15yr Single barrel? I just can't get into it. Maybe its the higher ABV then i'm used to but man. Tried it 3 times so far and still not feeling it. Should I trade it or save it and try to learn to like it?

Picked up a Glenrothes 1998 for my desk at work. Its good. Like it. Though not experienced enough to give a legit review.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

MasterColin posted:

Anyone had the Balvenie 15yr Single barrel? I just can't get into it. Maybe its the higher ABV then i'm used to but man. Tried it 3 times so far and still not feeling it. Should I trade it or save it and try to learn to like it?

Picked up a Glenrothes 1998 for my desk at work. Its good. Like it. Though not experienced enough to give a legit review.
Single cask offerings are often a little more rough than vattings from many casks, and the alcohol content of the Balvenie Single Barrel will definitely have a minor effect if you are used to 40-43% ABV.

In general if you want something utterly smooth with very little alcohol burn, you're going to need to step up to the 18-21yr range for single malts. Glenrothes and Balblair are a bit unique because they use vintages. Casks of '1998' get progressively older and rarer as time goes by so what you have could be anywhere between 10 and 14 years old.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Got some Old Overholt because I ran across it at the liquor store and I never really tried rye before other than an odd glass here or there. It's not Rittenhouse but it's what I can get (and it was really cheap).

Als got a bottle of Naked Grouse, only €1 more expensive than online so I snagged it.

Haven't been able to try either yet though. :smith:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Small Business Saturday included some liquor stores! Picked up a bottle of WT 101 for 25.99, which is to say a dollar after Amex gives back $25 of it. Good deal, I'd say. Having only had Evan Williams for bourbon, anything special to note when drinking, or just don't worry about the higher proof?

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

silvergoose posted:

Having only had Evan Williams for bourbon, anything special to note when drinking, or just don't worry about the higher proof?

If you are using it for mixing I wouldn't worry about it, other than you are going to get drunk faster. WT 101 is one of my favorites for mixing. It's not a bad sipper for the price, other than it might be spicier than some are used to. If you are sipping and are used to drinking bourbon neat the extra kick might be a bit of a shock.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Lagavulin on sale for $56 at Costco this month. Also, Bulleit and several other cheap ones are back

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 26, 2012

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Lagavulin on sale for $56 at Costco this month. Also, Bulleit and several other cheap ones are back

On that note, has anyone had a Lagavulin 16 lately? I've never had it before and have been giving it some consideration for a buy this holiday season. However, I have heard that its quality has somewhat diminished in the past few years. How does it compare to the other big Islay names like Laphroaig and Ardbeg?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

NightConqueror posted:

On that note, has anyone had a Lagavulin 16 lately? I've never had it before and have been giving it some consideration for a buy this holiday season. However, I have heard that its quality has somewhat diminished in the past few years. How does it compare to the other big Islay names like Laphroaig and Ardbeg?
Lagavulin's output has always been low...it does fly off the shelves at places with scotch hobbyist customers, but the quality vs. volume argument is mostly reserved for the Glenlivets, Glenfiddichs and Macallans of the industry.

Lagavulin 16 is more complex than any Laphroaig in that price range. The only major competitor for those subtle fruit hints would be Ardbeg Uigeadail, which is a similar vatting of some sherry, but mostly bourbon cask matured whisky. I say more complex and not better because I love Laphroaig's simple formula of sweet, peat and especially their take on wood influence.

I always have a bottle of Lagavulin 16 and Laphroaig Quarter Cask handy, they are dissimilar outside of the peating level, but both enjoyable.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 26, 2012

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
So as I'm nearing the end of my first whiskey (Four Roses Small Batch) and I'm going to the UK I'm thinking that I should cease the opportunity and get some whiskeys that aren't available over here. First on my list to get is a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye 100 proof. The reviews are just so good that I have to try it. Maybe I should get a bottle of scotch whisky as well? Any good, "cheap" ones that are "good for a beginner" in particular that I should look out for?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

If you can't find Rittenhouse stateside I seriously doubt you'll find it in the UK, seeing as it's made in Kentucky and I don't know how much the British are into rye. Just have to wait until next year's release.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Kenning posted:

If you can't find Rittenhouse stateside I seriously doubt you'll find it in the UK, seeing as it's made in Kentucky and I don't know how much the British are into rye. Just have to wait until next year's release.

I just ordered some Rittenhouse through K&L Wines, though they have a really limited quantity. Also picked up some Vya and Miracle Mile Forbidden bitters because why not, I'm curious :c00lbert:

dug fin
Oct 14, 2004
The boil on the ass of your happiness
I was skeptical about it when I bought it, since I'm a peat hound, but I highly recommend Caol Ila's Unpeated Style. It has HUGE pepper taste to it, I don't know what kind of oak they used, but it's imparted a massive flavor profile. It's very clean tasting. I'm a big fan of it, now.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah and to add to that, don't buy the Ardbeg Blasda, it may be the presentation (40%, chillfiltered) but its bland as heck.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

dug fin posted:

I was skeptical about it when I bought it, since I'm a peat hound, but I highly recommend Caol Ila's Unpeated Style. It has HUGE pepper taste to it, I don't know what kind of oak they used, but it's imparted a massive flavor profile. It's very clean tasting. I'm a big fan of it, now.
I have several bottles of the 2009 release and I know what you're talking about, it has an almost effervescent tingling effect on the tip of the tongue. Moreso the 2009 is bottled at a ludicrous 65.8% ABV and it packs a lot of heat...though you could actually drink it without a water back. Lemon zest, green apple slices. Check. Coniferous? Check. A little briny, yep.

If you can still find one, get a bottle of the 2009 release.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Nov 27, 2012

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Kenning posted:

Going from Sweden to UK. I know they have it there since I can order it online. I don't want to do that though because of the tax + shipping cost. Way cheaper for me to just get it while I'm visiting.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Ah hah, I was confused. Well good luck in your quest! Rittenhouse is really an excellent rye, and it'll probably still be relatively cheap, even after import and excise taxes and all that.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
All right guys, I know a bunch of you have a bunch of pretty bottles. Let's see your collections.

Here's my very modest collection, that I hope to round out with a few new ones soon.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Terrible lighting aside, this is my collection. This tells me I clearly need more whisky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
After having it a couple times, I bit the bullet and picked up a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 20 year. I popped it open Tuesday night and it's delicious as ever. If anyone can get their hands on a bottle I highly recommend it.

I also have an unopened bottle of the 15 that I bought before they switched over to Buffalo Trace that I may hang on to for a bit more.