Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

dug fin posted:

I moved to Ireland in May, so I drove home with it in the trunk. :) The customs guy stopped me as I was getting on the car ferry and asked me to open the trunk, I thought I was in trouble. He saw the trunk full to the brim with Scotch and all he said was "Can I get your address? I'd like to stop by for a wee drink when I'm in Ireland."

I love the Scottish.

I visited Scotland once; I don't know if I've ever had a comparable streak of uninterrupted happiness. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Thanks to forums superstar funkybottoms, I got my hands on a bottle of Sazerac. :aaa: Why is this poo poo $28, and why can't I get it around here? This is a lot more fragrant than any of the other ryes I have, but doesn't even need the lightest hint of water to open it up. Gorgeous stuff.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hope I'm not breaking up the Scotch talk with some plebeian, American whiskey discussion.

My dad's a fan of bourbon, but I'm not much for whiskey (I prefer aņejo tequilas). I'm currently considering getting him a bottle of (white) rye whiskey, but I don't know if that's too far off from bourbons. I mean, I know it's not aged and, thus, will be harsher, but beyond that, I'm kinda in the dark.

So, why am I thinking about rye? I live in Pittsburgh, where the Wigle distillery opened up a couple of years ago. I figure it'd be nice to give him something local to where I live and it'll be whiskey to boot, a double whammy for Christmas! I know last year he had a small bottle of Reservoir Bourbon that he enjoyed (which I did too, from what little I had), so I thought he might like to try another small/local/craft distillery.

EDIT: poo poo, Wigle opened up this year! How could I have forgotten. :doh:

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 5, 2012

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I wouldn't really recommend a white rye. That's some weird tasting poo poo, for real. A nice aged rye will almost certainly be more pleasurable, unless your dad is particularly into tasting weird and different stuff.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Is there anywhere I can still get a bottle of this Hanyu Final Vintage 2000 stuff? I love Japanese whisky and fancy it since it won the best of the year.

Also picked my dad up a bottle of Ballantine's 17 Year Old for Christmas since it's been doing so well in books and that.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Senf posted:

So I'm thinking about picking up a new Islay as a Christmas gift for a friend of mine and I'm looking for something similar to Ardbeg Uigeadail. Dude loves his peat and isn't into overly sweet whiskys (but appreciate some), so any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm trying to be a little more original than Ardbeg 10, though I may just grab a bottle of that and call it a day.

Also I'm so jealous that you grabbed that Whisky Advent Calendar :(

Might enjoy the Lagavulin 12 year (cask strength) but like others said the Distiller's Edition may be a little fancier.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

BirdOfPlay posted:

Hope I'm not breaking up the Scotch talk with some plebeian, American whiskey discussion.

My dad's a fan of bourbon, but I'm not much for whiskey (I prefer aņejo tequilas). I'm currently considering getting him a bottle of (white) rye whiskey, but I don't know if that's too far off from bourbons. I mean, I know it's not aged and, thus, will be harsher, but beyond that, I'm kinda in the dark.

So, why am I thinking about rye? I live in Pittsburgh, where the Wigle distillery opened up a couple of years ago. I figure it'd be nice to give him something local to where I live and it'll be whiskey to boot, a double whammy for Christmas! I know last year he had a small bottle of Reservoir Bourbon that he enjoyed (which I did too, from what little I had), so I thought he might like to try another small/local/craft distillery.

EDIT: poo poo, Wigle opened up this year! How could I have forgotten. :doh:

White whiskies usually don't... taste a huge amount like their aged brethren in my opinion. You can tell that it has similar flavors, but a good portion of the time, white whiskies (esp white rye) remind me of blanco tequila and sometimes reposado tequila. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I just want to be clear that they are distinct. Son of Bourye from High West is a good example of this.

Like others said, get him a nice aged rye. If you can find it Pappy 13yr rye is good as well as "Vintage Rye". If neither of those abound, Willet 6yr or 8yr, Michter's Rye, or Thomas H Handy Sazerac Rye (one of my favorites).

White whiskies seem to be a fad of late simply because so many small distilleries are popping up that don't have aged product to throw on shelves and they need to make some monies.

rufius fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 5, 2012

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I'm going to Scotland in July with my wife to attend a wedding in Aberdeen but we'll be driving to Edinburgh and Glasgow with her dad to do some sightseeing. I love scotch and my wife enjoys it too so we're looking at some distilleries to visit.

I like the peaty/peppery drinks, Talisker & Laphroiag being my favorites. I don't care for the milder Glenfiddich or Glenlivit much. I would appreciate any recommendations or general tips!

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

two_beer_bishes posted:

I'm going to Scotland in July with my wife to attend a wedding in Aberdeen but we'll be driving to Edinburgh and Glasgow with her dad to do some sightseeing. I love scotch and my wife enjoys it too so we're looking at some distilleries to visit.

I like the peaty/peppery drinks, Talisker & Laphroiag being my favorites. I don't care for the milder Glenfiddich or Glenlivit much. I would appreciate any recommendations or general tips!

Unless you can make it out to Islay or Isle of Skye you won't be able to do as much of the peaty/smoky stuff. There's supposed to be a bar in Edinburgh with absurd offerings of scotch that date back pretty far. Name escapes me but I bet you could find it with like "famous scotch bar edinburgh <blah blah>".

Maybe try to get out to Orkney to the Highland Park distillery? Their stuff is closer to the flavor profile you're talking about if memory serves.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

rufius posted:

White whiskies usually don't... taste a huge amount like their aged brethren in my opinion. You can tell that it has similar flavors, but a good portion of the time, white whiskies (esp white rye) remind me of blanco tequila and sometimes reposado tequila. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I just want to be clear that they are distinct. Son of Bourye from High West is a good example of this.

I can understand that and kinda understand the flavor profiles that aged whiskeys and bourbons (and my tequilas) develop. I just didn't know what was so different about rye in particular, with Wiki being kinda scant on details.

quote:

Like others said, get him a nice aged rye. If you can find it Pappy 13yr rye is good as well as "Vintage Rye". If neither of those abound, Willet 6yr or 8yr, Michter's Rye, or Thomas H Handy Sazerac Rye (one of my favorites).

White whiskies seem to be a fad of late simply because so many small distilleries are popping up that don't have aged product to throw on shelves and they need to make some monies.

Too bad that's part of the appeal, getting him something local to me but not him (family lives down in VA). Wigle is one of those new, small distilleries and most of what they have is white, rye or wheat whiskey. They claim that the first, true-blue aged whiskeys will be bottled next November, but that's not much help. Though they will have some bottles (about 320, if I'm reading heir site correctly) that should be ready in 10 days. (Something about small barrels and quick aging.)

Thanks for the tips, guys. I should just go down there myself and see what's what with their stuff (they do direct sales and tastings on site).

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

rufius posted:

Might enjoy the Lagavulin 12 year (cask strength) but like others said the Distiller's Edition may be a little fancier.
Lagavulin 16yr is honestly a better whisky than either of those varieties. The 12yr Cask Strength tastes like it's been vatted from absolutely nothing but bourbon matured whisky. The PX finish on the DE is the elephant in the room. You get flavors of the standard Lagavulin 16 and then the PX afterward rather than a marriage of the two.

rufius posted:

Unless you can make it out to Islay or Isle of Skye you won't be able to do as much of the peaty/smoky stuff. There's supposed to be a bar in Edinburgh with absurd offerings of scotch that date back pretty far. Name escapes me but I bet you could find it with like "famous scotch bar edinburgh <blah blah>".

Maybe try to get out to Orkney to the Highland Park distillery? Their stuff is closer to the flavor profile you're talking about if memory serves.
Orkney is geographically more remote than Islay or Skye, and downright a farther distance to travel from Edinburgh or Glasgow. I would make the trip to Islay and spend a couple of nights there. There really aren't any distilleries making peaty whisky in the Lowland region around those two cities.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 6, 2012

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

kidsafe posted:

Lagavulin 16yr is honestly a better whisky than either of those varieties. The 12yr Cask Strength tastes like it's been vatted from absolutely nothing but bourbon matured whisky. The PX finish on the DE is the elephant in the room. You get flavors of the standard Lagavulin 16 and then the PX afterward rather than a marriage of the two.

Orkney is geographically more remote than Islay or Skye, and downright a farther distance to travel from Edinburgh or Glasgow. I would make the trip to Islay and spend a couple of nights there. There really aren't any distilleries making peaty whisky in the Lowland region around those two cities.

I like the 12yr better than the DE but not better than the 16yr. Most of the scotch I drink anymore is Lagavulin but it is what it is.

Regarding Orkney, I am an idiot. Dumb American, poor geography knowledge of that region. For some reason I had it in my head as being not ridiculously northwest of Edinburgh. Turns out what I was thinking of was Oban. Dammit.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Just had a Manhattan made with Knob Creek Rye, and I think it might be one of the best Manhattans I've ever had. I was holding off on getting a bottle of it but now I think I will!

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

I think I'm gonna go with a bottle of the Lagavulin 16, everyone. Thanks a bunch for all of your input :)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Any recommendations for a good starter rye? I've normally had bourbon, but I've heard enough good stuff about rye that I want to give it a shot.

tim0mit
Dec 28, 2008
If your intention is to drink it neat, bulliet is nice. If you plan on mixing rittenhouse can't be beat.

dug fin
Oct 14, 2004
The boil on the ass of your happiness

two_beer_bishes posted:

Glengoyne is within 15 minutes of Edinburgh and well worth a visit. Also give a visit to the Brew Dog brewery while you're there, it's very close to the Royal Mile. The Scotch Whiskey Experience is the obvious stop when you're on the Royal Mile, being right next to the castle, but definitely don't miss Royal Mile Whiskies.

Auchentoshan is fairly close to Glasgow. They had some very, very nice Scotches, I was very pleasantly surprised by them.

If you want a detour to a beautiful island that won't cost you much, I'd definitely recommend taking a day or two from Glasgow and flying over to Islay. It's probably like a 30 minute flight, if that. The island itself is absolutely beautiful. Some of my favorite distilleries in the world are there, too. You can squeeze in a set of tours through Ardbeg, Laphroaig and Lagavulin in a few hours (they're within a mile or so of each other). Bruichladdich, Caol Ila and Kilchoman are definitely recommended too. Bunnahabhain and Bowmore are also located on the island, but by in large aren't my favorite.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
A slight disappointment: The Caol Ila elements CI4 is very, very smoky, with a greasy heavily burnt character that unfortunately hovers over all the other aromas both in taste and smell. A definite step down from the previous bottling which was fantastic.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Any recommendations for a good starter rye? I've normally had bourbon, but I've heard enough good stuff about rye that I want to give it a shot.

Michter's rye is good, although I mostly drank it mixed with vermouth or Coke, so this may not be an expert-enough opinion.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Rittehouse is good. Old Overholt is pretty tasty, especially for the price.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Good starter ryes:
Rittenhouse Bottled-in-Bond if you can find it
Bulleit Rye
Wild Turkey Rye (101 proof)

Slight steps up:
Sazerac Rye
Russell's Reserve Rye

Ryes to ruin all other ryes for you forever :unsmigghh:
Sazerac 18 year old
Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Schpyder posted:

Good starter ryes:
Rittenhouse Bottled-in-Bond if you can find it
Bulleit Rye
Wild Turkey Rye (101 proof)

Slight steps up:
Sazerac Rye
Russell's Reserve Rye

Ryes to ruin all other ryes for you forever :unsmigghh:
Sazerac 18 year old
Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye

Good luck finding any of these.

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

Speaking of which, I received a nice wake-up call from my local BevMo yesterday informing me that some of the stuff I was wait-listed on had come in.

They actually had the entire BT Antique series (no more than one or two bottles of each, except for about four of the Handy), and I really wanted the Handy and Weller and even the Eagle Rare, but all together they'd be bank-breaking. Alas.

Bolocko fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 7, 2012

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

Bolocko posted:

Speaking of which, I received a nice wake-up call from my local BevMo yesterday informing me that some of the stuff I was wait-listed on had come in.

They actually had the entire BT Antique series (no more than one or two bottles of each, except for about four of the Handy), and I really wanted the Handy and Weller and even the Eagle Rare, but all together they'd be bank-breaking. Alas.

You fucker. Trying to find Stagg around Chicago is proving nearly impossible.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Weird. I see it all the time here in St Louis. No Sazerac, though.

gimme the lute
Aug 8, 2008

Dancing through the AL East
Any thoughts on Glenmorangie Lasanta? I've been meaning to try some sherry cask whiskys and it was on sale at the local liquor store.

gimme the lute fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 7, 2012

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

gimme the lute posted:

Any thoughts on Glenmorangie Lasanta? I've been meaning to try some sherry cask whiskys and it was on sale at the local liquor store.

The bottle I had was moderately to badly sulphured (which is a risk with any sherried whisky, I suppose). It was fairly pleasant but nothing earthshattering. I think I liked the dram of Glendronach 12 I tried better. Perhaps someone who hasn't had a bad bottle could chime in?

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009

Bolocko posted:

UUGH. That poo poo is so rare in Washington it's sick. The allocation to all restaurant/bars up here was a single bottle each. The whole loving thing, pappy to antique etc etc.

dug fin
Oct 14, 2004
Just bought myself another bottle of the Caol Ila Unpeated from RMW and picked up a bottle of Laphroaig 1997 Chieftain's Rum Cask. I've been finding some of the Ian Macleod experiments interesting. I'm imagining this one to be a nice contrast between peppery oak, peat and that rum sweetness.

http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/product.asp?sessionID=JRU&pf_id=2666600001656

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

dug fin posted:

Just bought myself another bottle of the Caol Ila Unpeated from RMW and picked up a bottle of Laphroaig 1997 Chieftain's Rum Cask. I've been finding some of the Ian Macleod experiments interesting. I'm imagining this one to be a nice contrast between peppery oak, peat and that rum sweetness.

http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/product.asp?sessionID=JRU&pf_id=2666600001656

Rum Cask, huh? I've never tried anything barreled in that before. How does it affect the flavor of the Laphroaig?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow, I saw at Costco a bottle of Macallan 25:

It's about $650 before taxes, which here in Washington are insane and make the final price almost $800!

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Thanks for reminding me how overpriced Macallan is. Port Ellen releases are cheaper than that, heh.

dug fin
Oct 14, 2004

NightConqueror posted:

Rum Cask, huh? I've never tried anything barreled in that before. How does it affect the flavor of the Laphroaig?

Don't know, will probably be another week before it arrives. Hoping to get it before I host my next tasting event, though. Looking forward to trying it.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

dug fin posted:

Don't know, will probably be another week before it arrives. Hoping to get it before I host my next tasting event, though. Looking forward to trying it.
There's rum finished Balvenie for sure and I'm almost sure there's been the occasional rum finished Bruichladdich or Edradour.

Mega Boris
Feb 21, 2001

Better luck next time, slugheads!
This past month has been a good one to me:

I'm holding on to the Van Winkle stuff for my wedding, which is in April.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mega Boris posted:

This past month has been a good one to me:

I'm holding on to the Van Winkle stuff for my wedding, which is in April.

Excellent, and congrats. :)

Mega Boris
Feb 21, 2001

Better luck next time, slugheads!

spankmeister posted:

Excellent, and congrats. :)

Thanks. As an aside, this will most likely be the last year I try to actively pursue trying to find the Van Winkle stuff. While it is amazing stuff, the recent press has made it almost a) impossible to find or b) prohibitably expensive. There are plenty of great wheaters out there like any of the Wellers.

I am hoping that in a few years, when the hype dies down, I will be able to once again grab a bottle of pappy off the shelf at at a reasonable price.

This past week I saw a bottle of 15 yr PVW on the shelf of a local liquor store for $300. Next to it were two bottles of Stagg and one of William Larue Weller at the normal price of $70 a bottle. Just shows you the effect of the hype.

Mega Boris fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 11, 2012

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah couple of years back I managed to find a bottle of old rip 10yo here in Europe for around 60 euro. I thought it was expensive then but I can't even get it anymore for any kind of money. :suicide:

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Mega Boris posted:

This past week I saw a bottle of 15 yr PVW on the shelf of a local liquor store for $300. Next to it were two bottles of Stagg and one of William Larue Weller at the normal price of $70 a bottle. Just shows you the effect of the hype.

That's plain silly for the PVW 15. At least those releases make it to the shelf where you are at. Every place I know has a drawing, but at leats they don't gouge you on the prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I picked up some Laphroaig Cask Strength and tried it with 2:1 water, 1:1 water, and neat. Neat was the first time I had a burn so intense I had to sip some water. It is good stuff, I imagine it is what kerosene would taste like if kerosene were delicious.

AFter nursing the full strength I poured a small measure of Thomas Jefferson extra small batch bourbon- it tasted like water after the Laphroaig.