Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GordonComstock
Oct 9, 2012

spankmeister posted:

gently caress I just found some Yellow Spot for €60, and they have the best price for Glencairn glasses too (I need a couple, I have just one left).

So. Tempting...

e: gently caress it, ordered. Poor impulse control wahey.

e2: Oh god why did I just pay €60 for a 12YO whiskey.

You won't be disappointed, especially if you're into the single pot stilled varieties. It's the best Irish Whiskey I've ever had (I only drink Irish Whiskey and rye whiskey). I've still to make my way around to trying Redbreast 15 yr and cask strength Redbreast 12, but expense and availability make it a tough go here in the USA. Luckily, Powers John's Lane has been released stateside in Total Wine shops, so I got to try that. It's not really better than Redbreast 12 or Green Spot at the price, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

GordonComstock posted:

You won't be disappointed, especially if you're into the single pot stilled varieties. It's the best Irish Whiskey I've ever had (I only drink Irish Whiskey and rye whiskey). I've still to make my way around to trying Redbreast 15 yr and cask strength Redbreast 12, but expense and availability make it a tough go here in the USA. Luckily, Powers John's Lane has been released stateside in Total Wine shops, so I got to try that. It's not really better than Redbreast 12 or Green Spot at the price, unfortunately.

Honestly, as far as Irish Whiskey goes, I've not found better than the Redbreast 12.

Powers was never highly regarded when I lived over there, and I'd agree.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Why did nobody tell me about the Speyburn 10? It reminds me of a peatier Gold Label, and I got it for $17 before tax. You can't get a bottle of Jack for $17 before tax.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Speyburn usually gets pooped on in this thread, but I occasionally defend it. You just have to have a different set of expectations for $20 whisky. If you like Old Pulteney, AnCnoc, Balblair, etc. Speyburn will taste familiar.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 5, 2013

duckstab
Jun 19, 2004

kidsafe posted:

Speyburn usually gets pooped on in this thread, but I occasionally defend it. You just have to have a different set of expectations for $20 whisky. If you like Old Pulteney, AnCnoc, Balblair, etc. Speyburn will taste familiar.

I've seen you remark on this a few times before - what makes you say that those distilleries taste similar? They're all quite different.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I guess they're all a bit oily, IIRC.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

spankmeister posted:

Not so much oily as in they have the same almost cloying, melon-like sweetness. I assume the mash/wort at each of these Inver House distilleries uses the same type of barley and yeast.

Obviously Pulteney might be a little more 'salty' (not savory,) AnCnoc more honey, Balblair more dark fruit, and Speyburn lighter than the rest, but one's tastebuds have to be numb not to taste the similarities underneath.

duckstab
Jun 19, 2004

spankmeister posted:

I think the mouthfeel of whisky is a really under appreciated aspect of drinking whisky, I think it's one of the most important factors for me.

duckstab
Jun 19, 2004

kidsafe posted:

Not so much oily as in they have the same almost cloying, melon-like sweetness. I assume the mash/wort at each of these Inver House distilleries uses the same type of barley and yeast.

Obviously Pulteney might be a little more 'salty' (not savory,) AnCnoc more honey, Balblair more dark fruit, and Speyburn lighter than the rest, but one's tastebuds have to be numb not to taste the similarities underneath.

There are considerably more factors at play than just barley and yeast. Between Balblair, Knockdhu and Speyburn they all have different specs for their malts, their peating levels are all different and their fermentation times vary hugely (Speyburn is much, much shorter than Balblair or Knockdhu). That's just the start of the differences between them, but if you find them similar in taste between them, that's fair enough, but none of the similarities you find are attributable to the fact they're owned by one company.

What's your dram at the moment kidsafe? I'm trying out a 1992 Bruichladdich Valinch called 'El Classico'.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Hey thread, a few nights ago I went to Jack Rose's in Washington DC, which is a massive whisk(e)y bar. I didn't go completely nuts trying out the most expensive stuff but I did get to try out Hibiki 12, Willet (trying to figure out which one, maybe Origami or Montezuma) and Black Maple Hill.

I really enjoyed the Black Maple Hill and am trying to find a place to grab some but I'm coming up empty. Does anyone know where I can find a bottle? I live in NYC, so I might have access to a store locally, but it seems like it's kind of rare, so maybe I have to get it online somewhere? Pretty new to all of this.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Doing a side by side of Green and Yellow Spot now. Results so far: inconclusive, further investigation required. :tinsley:

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Witchfinder General posted:

Hey thread, a few nights ago I went to Jack Rose's in Washington DC, which is a massive whisk(e)y bar. I didn't go completely nuts trying out the most expensive stuff but I did get to try out Hibiki 12, Willet (trying to figure out which one, maybe Origami or Montezuma) and Black Maple Hill.

I really enjoyed the Black Maple Hill and am trying to find a place to grab some but I'm coming up empty. Does anyone know where I can find a bottle? I live in NYC, so I might have access to a store locally, but it seems like it's kind of rare, so maybe I have to get it online somewhere? Pretty new to all of this.

What up NYC buddy? I can generally get most of my needs met between (in order of priority) Astor Wines and Spirits, Morell, and Union Square Wines. Flatiron Wines and Spirits also has a reasonable selection of wonkier stuff.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

duckstab posted:

I think the mouthfeel of whisky is a really under appreciated aspect of drinking whisky, I think it's one of the most important factors for me.

Agreed. IMO the mouthfeel is the most distinctive thing about quality old whisky and there is little point in putting money into 25yo or older drams if one hasn't developed any sense of what it should feel like on the tongue and in the cheeks.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
Anyone have any suggestions for whiskeys that might be readily available in London/UK but not the U.S.? When I flew through LHR two weeks ago, I was quite surprised by their extensive whiskey selection at duty free, so I'd like to pick up one or two nice ones on my way back through in a week.

I tend to like really smokey Islays, Unfortunately, the list on the Heathrow web site isn't close to comprehensive. The current favorite I've had is Ardbeg Uigeadail. I may just pick up some of that, but it's easy to find back home too. I'll also keep an eye out for the Green/Yellow Spot although I know that's not an Islay.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

A little spring cleaning of the old whisky cabinet.

GordonComstock
Oct 9, 2012

spankmeister posted:

Doing a side by side of Green and Yellow Spot now. Results so far: inconclusive, further investigation required. :tinsley:

I'm interested in hearing about any noticeable differences between Green Spot before and after the bottling change/makeover. I think you said earlier you'd had the pre-change Green Spot. I've heard people accusing them of "New Coke" style shenanigans in altering it (I'm guessing in the length of the aging process). I've only had the post-makeover Green Spot. I actually own an unopened bottle of the pre-change, but for personal reasons will never open it. So I'm a bit curious.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

What up NYC buddy? I can generally get most of my needs met between (in order of priority) Astor Wines and Spirits, Morell, and Union Square Wines. Flatiron Wines and Spirits also has a reasonable selection of wonkier stuff.
Awesome, thanks for the suggestions. I'll try and hit all of them tomorrow if the weather is nice enough.

lost my retainer
Oct 28, 2002

Blow me
Bought this today for a special occasion and now I have to wait a week to open it. Pure torture.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

spankmeister posted:

Now all you need to do is mix 1 oz of each into an empty bottle and *voila*, you have your own wonderful blend.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I bought a bottle of Hibiki 12 the other day. It's my first Japanese whisky and is a completely different animal than the Islay malts that I've been drinking lately. It's incredibly delicate and floral with lots of honey and fruit. The nose is almost like sticking your face in a bunch of honeysuckle. Supposedly it's a blend of over 30 single malts, and partly aged in plum liqueur barrels, which I'm sure contributes to it being so fragrant. I'm going to keep an eye out for other Japanese malts now since I'm enjoying this one so much.

duckstab
Jun 19, 2004

Chuck Biscuits posted:

I bought a bottle of Hibiki 12 the other day. It's my first Japanese whisky and is a completely different animal than the Islay malts that I've been drinking lately. It's incredibly delicate and floral with lots of honey and fruit. The nose is almost like sticking your face in a bunch of honeysuckle. Supposedly it's a blend of over 30 single malts, and partly aged in plum liqueur barrels, which I'm sure contributes to it being so fragrant. I'm going to keep an eye out for other Japanese malts now since I'm enjoying this one so much.

30 single malts? There are only 9 or so single malt producers in Japan, you've got to wonder how they came up with that number...

The Hibiki 17 is well worth the jump in price if you can find it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

JaredBS posted:

Bought this today for a special occasion and now I have to wait a week to open it. Pure torture.

Oh man. That's pretty exciting.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

spankmeister posted:

That's a pretty high class fraternity you've got there.

radbeard
Oct 22, 2010

Worthleast posted:

I've made some fantastic purchases based off the recommendations on this thread. I like to have a bit of a spectrum of tastes rather than just one bottle, to suit mood/guests.

So far I've enjoyed:
Laphroig QC (like chewing on a delicious campfire)
Talisker 10 (even more than the Laphroig, in my opinion)
Balvenie Doublewood (got FOUR bottles for Christmas)
Redbreast 12 (it's so sweet!)

Delta gives away Glenlivet 12 in first-class, so frequent flier upgrades mean decent free scotch.

I was disappointed in Bulleit Bourbon, though it is definitely a man's whiskey, the finish was a let down. The Van Winkle I tried was a wash.

Any suggestions to broaden the spectrum?

If you like delicious campfire, check out Arbeg. The standard 10 is great. Uigeadail is incredible. Most of the Port Charlotte's from Bruichladdich are great too.
My favorite Speysider lately has been Glenfarclas. Would recommend the 12, 15 and the 105 if you can find it for a decent price.

I have been enjoying single malt Scotches for a while now, but I'm eager to check out some good bourbons. Any suggestions for a good first bourbon that showcases what bourbon whiskey is all about?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Tonight is the first whiskey I've had since October... oh bourbon, how I've missed thee.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

NightConqueror posted:

That Kavalan is pretty interesting. Is most of their stock still pretty young, but ages quickly like Amrut?
So I tried Kavalan tonight at WoW/SF, mainly the Solist Sherry and Solist "Barbecue." Quite interesting, the Sherry in particular was quite spicy, more like American whiskies despite being 100% malted barley. The Solist BBQ unfortunately was a bit of a wild child, too hot at cask strength and did not take water well. I just couldn't get past the heat.

Other notable spirits...

I really liked Jefferson's Straight Rye. Very drinkable for 100% rye, probably moreso than any of the LDI stuff. Affordable too.

And I know this isn't a whisky, but Crater Lake's Hazelnut Espresso infused 'vodka' was a great little liqueur. They call it vodka, but it is most definitely liqueur in my book (only 50 proof.)

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 7, 2013

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
Had an impromptu tasting on Friday.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Finally got some laphroaig 10 to celebrate my one billionth second :smug:

I'm not disappointed. Smells a lot like iodine and the ocean, maybe a hospital by the sea. The taste, like many have said, is like drinking a campfire. Maybe a fire somebody threw some seaweed in. It's also got some really earthy flavors that i like a lot. The finish seems to last forever and is a really comfortable flavor to have hanging around in my mouth. Really happy with it!

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Had an impromptu tasting on Friday.

How is the Corsair Triple Smoke? I just learned about its existence a few days ago and I am highly intrigued.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

door Door door posted:

How is the Corsair Triple Smoke? I just learned about its existence a few days ago and I am highly intrigued.

Very american in sweetness/overall character, but you get a scotchy peat. Think black bottle + some nice sweet-ish bourbon

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Worthleast posted:

That's a pretty high class fraternity you've got there.

:wotwot:

I need a new cabinet though, the one I have now doesn't have a door. Dusty whisky as a result. :(

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

GordonComstock posted:

I'm interested in hearing about any noticeable differences between Green Spot before and after the bottling change/makeover. I think you said earlier you'd had the pre-change Green Spot. I've heard people accusing them of "New Coke" style shenanigans in altering it (I'm guessing in the length of the aging process). I've only had the post-makeover Green Spot. I actually own an unopened bottle of the pre-change, but for personal reasons will never open it. So I'm a bit curious.

Going by memory on how it used to taste I can definitely say that it has lost some quality. Mostly in the nose. It's still very good stuff though. I do have to bump Redbreast to my personal no1 now, and make Green Spot my no2 Irish whiskey.

I have to say that I may come around on that because I have only had a glass or two, and I enjoyed the second one more than the first. If I change my mind I'll post about it.

Yellow Spot is pretty nice stuff too but I don't feel it was worth 60 euros. I think it has too much youthful character to justify that price point. It's just a bit too alcohol-spicy. It's not that it tastes too young for it's age, it's pretty much on par for a 12yo whiskey, but I expect a bit more from a €60 whiskey than being on par.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 8, 2013

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Recommendation time! I'm looking (for a present) for a single bottle of single malt Scotch, on the lighter end of peatiness, and I know he likes Lagavulin and Balvenie double wood. And poo poo like Dewers but let's not go there. Budget is circa 80 bucks, and I've never actually bought a bottle that expensive for myself, so I'm definitely out of my comfort range here!

I'm pondering one of the older Glenlivets (I know he has had 12 before), or just rereading the last few pages and going "Oh someone liked x, let's see how much it is", but I wouldn't mind some direction.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

silvergoose posted:

Recommendation time! I'm looking (for a present) for a single bottle of single malt Scotch, on the lighter end of peatiness, and I know he likes Lagavulin and Balvenie double wood. And poo poo like Dewers but let's not go there. Budget is circa 80 bucks, and I've never actually bought a bottle that expensive for myself, so I'm definitely out of my comfort range here!

I'm pondering one of the older Glenlivets (I know he has had 12 before), or just rereading the last few pages and going "Oh someone liked x, let's see how much it is", but I wouldn't mind some direction.

If you can find Ledaig 10 that'll do you right and probably pretty well under budget.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

In celebration at the death of Margaret Thatcher, I am having a dram of Glendronach. 19 y/o from a Pedro Ximenez Butt at 57.1%.
Cheers :toot:

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
http://www.whiskyadvocateblog.com/2013/04/03/diageo-announces-new-scotch-distillery-expanded-production-at-other-distilleries/

Good lord...

They just started up at the 14-still Roseisle mega-distillery last year. Now they're building an even bigger distillery near Teaninich, while also expanding that distillery to double its capacity. In addition they're putting another 30M GBP into expanding a couple other Speyside distilleries like Mortlach.

GG China/India.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

And all of those distilleries that get expanded will lose in quality. :(

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

spankmeister posted:

Well Mortlach and Teaninich's production are almost entirely devoted to the Johnnie Walker line already. Yeah some independents like Compass Box do use both of those, but I don't really think this will have much of an effect on my personal consumption habits. I will still only drink JW Black at dives, and if Teaninich is no longer suited to Glaser's tastes, then I'm sure he'll try to source barrels from somewhere else.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 9, 2013

duckstab
Jun 19, 2004

spankmeister posted:

What makes you say that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
I think I'm in love with the Highland Park 12... the smokier scotches are really starting to grow on me. Where should I go from here? Are the older HPs a huge step up from the 12?