Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

So Burn Stewart has been bought by Distell from South Africa.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-22151857

A few years ago there were rumours about their former parent company having problems and that Bunnahabhain hadn't been paying their bills. Hopefully there'll be plenty of Black Bottle to go around and it would be nice if they could find a few older sherry butts so that the Bunna 18 y/o could go back to how it used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Troll Bridgington posted:

How is the peat monster? I've been eyeing that bottle for a couple months.

I agree with NightConqueror. It's a fine whisky, nice and rich, but it's not really a Monster of Peat. I didn't prefer it to the Flaming Heart next to it (tasted different nights), which was very good.

The sad flip-side to all of those bottles is that the influx all began when his mom started chemo up again and was pretty zonked on pain meds buying gifts for her family (although they've continued to arrive and she's terrible about medicating her pain now). gently caress cancer.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

NightConqueror posted:

I had a taste of it at the liquor store a while back. Don't be fooled by the "monster" part in the name. It's really quite a mild peated whiskey. Doesn't really beat out Ardbeg or Laphroaig at the same price point (unless you're looking for a more mildly peated whisky).

ChickenArise posted:

I agree with NightConqueror. It's a fine whisky, nice and rich, but it's not really a Monster of Peat. I didn't prefer it to the Flaming Heart next to it (tasted different nights), which was very good.

The sad flip-side to all of those bottles is that the influx all began when his mom started chemo up again and was pretty zonked on pain meds buying gifts for her family (although they've continued to arrive and she's terrible about medicating her pain now). gently caress cancer.

That actually sounds really good. I might need to give it a shot, thanks!

:smith: That's horrible, I wish your friend and his mom all the best... gently caress cancer indeed.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I lost my father to cancer, gently caress cancer.

What I came here to post:
I just cracked open the GlenDronach 15yo revival and holy crap this stuff is excellent.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Troll Bridgington posted:

How is the peat monster? I've been eyeing that bottle for a couple months.

I like it, it's not super peaty or anything, but it is very tasty. Which reminds me, I finished off the last of what I had, time to acquire another bottle.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

I'm a huge whiskey fan and don't know why I've never checked out this thread before! So my favorite regular drink is Yamazaki 18, but it's been pretty impossible to find recently, so I've had to branch out a bit. I goddamn love everything about it and can't help but crack a huge smile when I get a whiff of it after opening the bottle. Anyone know where I could order it?

Are you outside of the US? If not, what state do you live in? I might be able to help if you are in he states and in a state that allows shipping of alcohol from retailers, but it will be US$140.00 or so. Otherwise Master of Malt or The Whisky Exchange is really about it.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

spankmeister posted:

I just cracked open the GlenDronach 15yo revival and holy crap this stuff is excellent.

It is wonderful. I actually prefer it to the 18, just a bit more silky smooth. There's some cracking single casks they've released too.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Eagle Rare 10 is the tops. Basil Hayden's is good too, but its so confused in its direction. Its a beautiful corn upfront but it gets dissolved in a rye spice before you get to enjoy it.

SirLeigh
Aug 9, 2008

Politicalrancor posted:

Eagle Rare 10 is the tops. Basil Hayden's is good too, but its so confused in its direction. Its a beautiful corn upfront but it gets dissolved in a rye spice before you get to enjoy it.
I like Bookers more than Basil Hayden's, although they're both great. I got to try Eagle Rare 10 a few weeks ago and it's stellar.

I need to pick me up a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 23 while I can get my hands on it.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
Okay Whisky Goons: My grandpa is a huge whisky drinker and thus my dad and I are going with him to Whisky Fest in Chicago next week as a birthday present. Now I haven't had the chance to sample as much whisky as most of you guys so the list of what is available is a little overwhelming. I'm hoping I can get some suggestions to help narrow it down!

Here is the list: http://www.whiskyfestblog.com/whiskyfest-chicago-whisky-list/

So from what I've tried, I know I like the smokier and spicier ones more so than the sweet ones (at least in my limited experience). I've greatly enjoyed the Laphroaig 10yr and the Talisker 10yr. I also really liked Buffalo Trace.

That said, I'm down to try anything that is highly recommended, especially anything weird or rare that I'm not likely to get at average liquor store.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

biglads posted:

Hopefully there'll be plenty of Black Bottle to go around ...

No, please don't scare me. I just found a liquor store that stocks Black Bottle. One taste and it immediately went to the top of my "modestly priced" Scotch list.
I like to have two inexpensive bottles in the rotation, and so far my favorites are Black Bottle, J.W. Black, Black Grouse (I am seeing a pattern here) and Monkey Shoulder.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

There used to be a Black Bottle 10 y/o a few years ago, and that was drat good.

I think it's been off the market now for 3-4 years but you may find the odd bottle still kicking around somewhere. If you see it, grab it.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

PopZeus posted:

Okay Whisky Goons: My grandpa is a huge whisky drinker and thus my dad and I are going with him to Whisky Fest in Chicago next week as a birthday present. Now I haven't had the chance to sample as much whisky as most of you guys so the list of what is available is a little overwhelming. I'm hoping I can get some suggestions to help narrow it down!

Here is the list: http://www.whiskyfestblog.com/whiskyfest-chicago-whisky-list/

So from what I've tried, I know I like the smokier and spicier ones more so than the sweet ones (at least in my limited experience). I've greatly enjoyed the Laphroaig 10yr and the Talisker 10yr. I also really liked Buffalo Trace.

That said, I'm down to try anything that is highly recommended, especially anything weird or rare that I'm not likely to get at average liquor store.
A lot of good stuff there with the Ardbeg and Lagavulin lineups showing the heavier side of smoky whisky. If you like the 10yo Talisker then don't miss the distillers edition. Affordably delicious.

I'd also suggest trying either the Hakushu 12 or one of the Yamazakis (H for a floral, fresh character or Y for a woody, varnishy one) because those two represent the best of Japanese single malts. The other two, Miyagikou and Nikka are fine but I think H and Y have better balance.

Found a Dalwhinnie 15 at the Vilnius airport and decided to take it home. This is lovely stuff to my nose because it has the coastal lemony iodine notes I've come to love and associate with some young Bunnahabhain and Caol Ila bottles but the smoke is very subdued compared to Islay drinks. There's also a smell remniscent of flower petals, tulips perhaps.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Went to a local whiskey bar with some friends and tried a few new whiskies last weekend.

Dad's Hat: My first rye. Delicious, but honestly a little too smooth. I've always heard about rye being spicy but I didn't really get any spice.
Talisker 10: Strong peatiness but with a definite pepper aftertaste to it. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Oban 14: Rich and with a hint of honey and incredibly complex flavors, but very much on the sweet side.
Lagavulin 16: Holy poo poo. The strength of the peat is balanced perfectly by the sweetness imparted by the sherry casks. The body was incredibly thick and it felt like I was drinking my dessert.

Overall an awesome experience. The range of flavors found between different scotches is amazing. I've enjoyed Laphroaig for a while, but now that I've tried Ardbeg and Lagavulin as well it's fascinating to see how the former highlights the peat with an almost citrusy crispness, while the latter mellows it out with rich sweetness, and Laphroaig simply lets it run wild. My appreciation for each is definitely improved after having tried the others.

Having tried Lagavulin, it strikes me as very similar to the Lost Spirits Leviathan which I posted about earlier. Both feel almost like drinking pudding, but where Lagavulin balances out the peat with rich fruit flavors, the Leviathan tastes like chocolate to me.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans
Just finished my bottle of Glenlivet Nadurra, and now I'm sad - mostly because the price for it has shot up around me recently. So long getting it for $50 :(

Bought some Jefferson Rye about a week ago, which I really enjoy. It's both similar and different to Whistlepig, but the price point makes it the winner. There's also hardly any high-rye, rye whiskies that aren't LDI ones.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

Deleuzionist posted:

A lot of good stuff there with the Ardbeg and Lagavulin lineups showing the heavier side of smoky whisky. If you like the 10yo Talisker then don't miss the distillers edition. Affordably delicious.

I'd also suggest trying either the Hakushu 12 or one of the Yamazakis (H for a floral, fresh character or Y for a woody, varnishy one) because those two represent the best of Japanese single malts. The other two, Miyagikou and Nikka are fine but I think H and Y have better balance.

Found a Dalwhinnie 15 at the Vilnius airport and decided to take it home. This is lovely stuff to my nose because it has the coastal lemony iodine notes I've come to love and associate with some young Bunnahabhain and Caol Ila bottles but the smoke is very subdued compared to Islay drinks. There's also a smell remniscent of flower petals, tulips perhaps.

Awesome! Thanks for the advice. Is there a main quality that differentiates the Japanese single malts from the rest of the world that I can look out for?

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

PopZeus posted:

Awesome! Thanks for the advice. Is there a main quality that differentiates the Japanese single malts from the rest of the world that I can look out for?

Most of the Japanese malts I've tried are distinctive in that they are so well-constructed, nearly flawless. Japanese distillers have worked very hard to mimic Scotch whiskey as much as possible to the point of making their stuff a little soulless. Almost all Japanese single malts are excellent and highly consistent, which is something that can't be said about a lot of Scotch distillers.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
Agree -- in various contexts, japan is often better at re-creating than creating. The Jazz music I've heard from Japan is excellent from a technical standpoint but "soulless" is not an inaccurate way to describe that either.

To stay on point, I finally got to try Four Roses Single Barrel at a BBQ place and enjoyed. Not a new favorite, but something to which I won't say no.

KhyrosFinalCut fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 18, 2013

smn
Feb 15, 2005
tutkalla

Deleuzionist posted:

I'm a huge Yoichi fan. I find the Yoichi 10 & 12 year old significantly tastier than the similar age Yamazaki and Hakushus. Same goes with the older aged ones, I'd put the 15yo Yoichi pretty much on par with the 18 old Yamazaki which I also adore. The high end Yoichis are just awesome as well and until late they've offered very good value for money.

Taste is personal as always, for me it is the robust/rugged spirit of Yoichi combined with the slight peatiness that hits my sweet spot.

Catsoup
Mar 4, 2009
To start off with, I am not a big whiskey drinker and hardly ever order it on the rocks to sip on at a bar.

For some reason I decided to get a shot of Hudson New York Corn whiskey on the rocks last night and I absolutely fell in love with the stuff. http://www.hudsonwhiskey.com/whiskeys/new-york-corn/

Could anyone give me more recommendations on what to drink if I really enjoy this corn whiskey? I don't even know where to begin.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I bought a bottle of Goon-related Dad's Hat recently. I like it, quite mellow and has a strong vanilla taste. That I found it in a State Store was surprising, I'm still under the impression the PLCB only stocks the basics.
I'm not 100% on this but I think it's because my uncle uses all Pennsylvania ingredients, maybe even the bottles- I forget. I'm glad a few goons are trying it out though!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Revisiting the Yellow Spot now. Getting a great nose of banana, coconut and dried fruit (mango, passion fruit etc..)

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Catsoup posted:

To start off with, I am not a big whiskey drinker and hardly ever order it on the rocks to sip on at a bar.

For some reason I decided to get a shot of Hudson New York Corn whiskey on the rocks last night and I absolutely fell in love with the stuff. http://www.hudsonwhiskey.com/whiskeys/new-york-corn/

Could anyone give me more recommendations on what to drink if I really enjoy this corn whiskey? I don't even know where to begin.
I don't know about the corn whiskey, but their single malt is absolutely the most disgusting American malt whiskey I've ever tasted.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

smn posted:

I'm a huge Yoichi fan. I find the Yoichi 10 & 12 year old significantly tastier than the similar age Yamazaki and Hakushus. Same goes with the older aged ones, I'd put the 15yo Yoichi pretty much on par with the 18 old Yamazaki which I also adore. The high end Yoichis are just awesome as well and until late they've offered very good value for money.

Taste is personal as always, for me it is the robust/rugged spirit of Yoichi combined with the slight peatiness that hits my sweet spot.

Yup, to each his own. I bought a bottle of Yoichi 10 between a H12 and a Y12 and felt it was ok but didn't warrant a repurchase. I'm sad I was too late at this year's local whisky fair and all the Yoichi 20 they had for tasting was already gone. Would have liked to know if double the maturation time would have turned it into something interesting.

...hmm I'm sure I intended to write "Miyagikou and Yoichi" in my original reply, not "Miyagikou and Nikka". Oops.

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Apr 21, 2013

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Deleuzionist posted:

Yup, to each his own. I bought a bottle of Yoichi 10 between a H12 and a Y12 and felt it was ok but didn't warrant a repurchase. I'm sad I was too late at this year's local whisky fair and all the Yoichi 20 they had for tasting was already gone. Would have liked to know if double the maturation time would have turned it into something interesting.

...hmm I'm sure I intended to write "Miyagikou and Yoichi" in my original reply, not "Miyagikou and Nikka". Oops.
Same with me, I don't feel the Nikka Yoichi single malts or the Nikka Taketsuru 12yr pure malt were all that impressive. Yamazaki 18yr simply outclassed any of the Nikka labeled whiskies in my opinion. I do have a preference for sweet/fruity, and the Nikka whiskies err on the nutty/savory side.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I always love it when you come back the next morning and smell the glass that contained previous evening's whisky.

The yellow spot still has that intense coconut smell lingering in the class, and also some clove.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

my girlfriend was trying to be nice and bought me Jim Beam Devil's Cut. It's certainly whiskey.

Luminaz
Mar 9, 2013

oops !

Politicalrancor posted:

my girlfriend was trying to be nice and bought me Jim Beam Devil's Cut. It's certainly whiskey.

Be happy it could be worse ... like some french whisky ...
I tasted one and it was like vinegar ...

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Luminaz posted:

Be happy it could be worse ... like some french whisky ...
I tasted one and it was like vinegar ...

I almost want to try just to see if it's really that bad.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Willett Pot Still Reserve is fantastic. This has the best finish I've ever tasted.

Luminaz
Mar 9, 2013

oops !

why oh WHY posted:

I almost want to try just to see if it's really that bad.

So you can try this exceptionnal one !! ;) --> Wambrechies, 8 years old.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Professor Latency posted:

Willett Pot Still Reserve is fantastic. This has the best finish I've ever tasted.

Is that the one that comes in a cool bottle too?

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

DoctaFun posted:

Is that the one that comes in a cool bottle too?

Yes. The Genie granted your wish for a loving awesome bourbon.

Also Re: Hudson Distillery -- The Rye is amazing. Everything else they put out is undrinkable. The corn smelled really good. Maybe I might try mixing that with root beer... but other than that, never drinking anything of theirs other than their rye again.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

The Baby Bourbon is ok.

Phineus
Jul 21, 2008

Good to the last drop.

Drink this it's amazing. I bought a bottle after reading about it in the Whisky Advocate awards issue.(it won best small batch of the year or some such)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Which one you is behind this

Cause drat, I wanna taste it.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
After loving the Buffalo Trace I snagged a bottle of Blanton's. Going to give it a whirl tonight. Did I make a good selection? :ohdear:

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

TG-Chrono posted:

After loving the Buffalo Trace I snagged a bottle of Blanton's. Going to give it a whirl tonight. Did I make a good selection? :ohdear:
Depends if you want something familiar or different. Blanton's is a brand owned by Buffalo Trace and the distillery only has 3 basic recipes/mashbills: low-rye, high-rye, wheat. Blanton's is high-rye, Buffalo Trace is low-rye. Most of us are pretty fond of the various Buffalo Trace brands here, especially the wheated W.L. Weller line.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I'm having Booker's in a glass with any sort of nosing ability for the first time (the somewhat silly Glencairn glass, but ehhh, it was a good deal on a nice looking glass that does the crystal ring when I flick it which entertains me to no end) and it's definitely a lot better in something that lets you nose it.

I really like the way Booker's burns, it feels all cinnamon-y to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Shugojin posted:

I'm having Booker's in a glass with any sort of nosing ability for the first time (the somewhat silly Glencairn glass, but ehhh, it was a good deal on a nice looking glass that does the crystal ring when I flick it which entertains me to no end) and it's definitely a lot better in something that lets you nose it.

I really like the way Booker's burns, it feels all cinnamon-y to me.

Just opened a bottle of Bookers with a friend. We tasted it in unison, and in unison gave our single word opinion: :drat:

Blantons is nice as well, but Bookers is a man's bourbon.