Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

wormil posted:

Today on the radio they mentioned counterfeit Johnnie Walker for people who can't afford the real thing. That is a thing?

:cripes:

Like counterfeit Red or Black? Why bother at that point? I could understand Blue or Gold I guess.

Shugojin posted:

I opened the Balvenie Doublewood 12 year I got last night, during a power outage because somebody took out a pole somewhere. It's good stuff. Gooood stuff. It has the note I found pleasant in the Glenfiddich 12 (and more) that was the first bottle of scotch I ever bought and none of the funk that I most definitely did not.

It definitely is good stuff. I miss having a bottle of Balvenie around, the Doublewood and Caribbean Cask never last long around me.

Troll Bridgington fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Troll Bridgington posted:

Like counterfeit Red or Black? Why bother at that point? I could understand Blue or Gold I guess.
Counterfeit booze exists for the benefit of the seller/counterfeiter...it's not like buying a mock Chanel handbag in Shenzhen where the buyer also wants to participate in a charade. Since Johnnie Walker Black Label is one of the most popular spirits worldwide, it makes perfect sense for it to be one of the most counterfeited brand labels.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Nov 25, 2013

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

kidsafe posted:

Counterfeit booze exists for the benefit of the seller/counterfeiter...it's not like buying a mock Chanel handbag in Shenzhen. Since Johnnie Walker Black Label is one of the most popular spirits worldwide, it makes perfect sense for it to be one of the most counterfeited brand labels.

Yeah that makes more sense, I don't know what I was thinking. :sigh:

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Shugojin posted:

Speaking of whisky boom, Lagavulin 16 is up to nearly $90 in PA state stores :(

I got a bottle of Balvenie Doublewood 12 year today. $60.

Fuckin PLCB

On the plus side, Laphroiag 18 is only... gently caress WHEN DID THEY HIKE THE PRICE TO 75 :argh:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

On counterfeit booze... yeah counterfeit basically anything exists. Consumable stuff like alcohol is someone ripping uninformed people off by putting cheap grain (I hope anyway) alcohol into a bottle with a big brand label on it and selling it for cheap but still way, way over cost of production.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Mr. Glass posted:

On the plus side, Laphroiag 18 is only... gently caress WHEN DID THEY HIKE THE PRICE TO 75 :argh:

That's actually significantly cheaper than I've seen it anywhere else. ex. http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Laphroaig_18_Year_Old_163208.html; http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx/Spirits/Scotch/Laphroaig/Laphroaig-18-Yr-Scotch/33062. Every time I'm in a liquor store I think about the savings, but it's just too expensive for me to justify right now.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

door Door door posted:

That's actually significantly cheaper than I've seen it anywhere else. ex. http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Laphroaig_18_Year_Old_163208.html; http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx/Spirits/Scotch/Laphroaig/Laphroaig-18-Yr-Scotch/33062. Every time I'm in a liquor store I think about the savings, but it's just too expensive for me to justify right now.

Yeah, I'm aware. It used to be $60 though.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Mr. Glass posted:

Where is Laphroaig 18 $75? The cheapest I've ever seen it was 4 years ago when it was introduced for $80 here in California. It had been $90-100 for the last 2 years, and now it's $120-130.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Mr. Glass posted:

:negative: What did 10 year cost back then?

kidsafe posted:

Where is Laphroaig 18 $75? The cheapest I've ever seen it was 4 years ago when it was introduced for $80 here in California. It had been $90-100 for the last 2 years, and now it's $120-130.

Pennsylvania.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

door Door door posted:

:negative: What did 10 year cost back then?

It's barely even history -- I only moved here 3 years ago. Looks like 18 was $60, and 10 was $45!

https://web.archive.org/web/20101025153110/http://www.lcbapps.lcb.state.pa.us/webapp/product_management/Files/productCatalog.PDF

My understanding is that PA has a fixed handling fee per bottle + a flat percentage markup, so I think it's probably the wholesaler who's raising the price.

Edit: the nice thing about this system is that the high end stuff is way cheaper than other states; I got a bottle of Laphroaig 25 for like $225, which is absurdly cheap when you compare it to online prices. The downside is that you can't really get cheap wine; the cheapest bottles are $7-8.

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 26, 2013

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The real downside is gently caress you on selection.

Double gently caress you if you don't live by one of the Premium Collection stores.

e: apparently they have an online store with a better selection though? Why have I never found this before?

mrBlaQ
Nov 21, 2013

Posting in a booze thread while sober. Try and stop me.

Boy I'm excited to track down some of that Woodford Masters collection.

My all-time fave is probably Penderyns. I find a dash of water on a neat shot to be just divine. It's the only liquor that feels like it loves and understands me. Light, floral, warm, drunk.

My go-to poo poo-whiskey is 2 Gingers. It's as good as cheap can get for an Irish. It's owned by a local to Minneapolis. I'm curious where else it's shown up?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Mr. Glass posted:

It's barely even history -- I only moved here 3 years ago. Looks like 18 was $60, and 10 was $45!
Utterly bizarre considering the availability of each. Laphroaig 10 was still $29 here half a year ago.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Laphroaig 10 is up to $45 here now, but somehow Lagavulin 16 has stayed at $66.

I've recently gotten back into bourbon and a friend put me on to Old Weller 107. It's cheap ($16) and good. Anybody else a fan?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I got a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be tasting. It's good and spicy but it doesn't taste that much better than Evan Williams to me.

Would it be better in mixed drinks?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Easychair Bootson posted:

Laphroaig 10 is up to $45 here now, but somehow Lagavulin 16 has stayed at $66.

I've recently gotten back into bourbon and a friend put me on to Old Weller 107. It's cheap ($16) and good. Anybody else a fan?

Old Weller is pretty fantastic although I see it for more like 25 a bottle. 16 is a great price

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Cloks posted:

I got a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be tasting. It's good and spicy but it doesn't taste that much better than Evan Williams to me.

Would it be better in mixed drinks?

Go make a Manhattan with it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Use Dolin Rouge or Vya Sweet.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Picked up a bottle of Angels Envy (port aged version) and the last bottle the store had of Old Forester Birthday. I'm pretty excited. Happy Thanksgiving to me.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Kenning posted:

Use Dolin Rouge or Vya Sweet.

You read my mind, thanks for the advice.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Cloks posted:

You read my mind, thanks for the advice.

If you can't find those Martini and Rossi makes a good sweet vermouth. As soon as I get home after work today, I'll be making myself one.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
I only recently tried Lagavulin 16 for the first time and I don't see how I can ever get a new favourite whisky after that. Just scrumptious, amazing flavour and aroma.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Cellophane S posted:

I only recently tried Lagavulin 16 for the first time and I don't see how I can ever get a new favourite whisky after that. Just scrumptious, amazing flavour and aroma.

If you do "find a new favourite", just know that you're wrong. Lagavulin 16 will still be there when you come to your senses.

On a serious note, it's loving delicious and it is my favorite.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

rufius posted:

If you do "find a new favourite", just know that you're wrong. Lagavulin 16 will still be there when you come to your senses.

On a serious note, it's loving delicious and it is my favorite.

Appropriate avatar!

I also quite like Talisker but Lagavulin was just outstanding.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Cellophane S posted:

Appropriate avatar!

I also quite like Talisker but Lagavulin was just outstanding.

If I have to pick a second favourite, I will drink the poo poo out of Talisker.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Can we talk about scotch here? Because I loves me some scotch. (Though you may not know it based on what I drink.) Keep in mind I am an uncultured savage who can't afford 50 year old single batch straight from the cask or whatever it is the scotch experts drink. Also I usually get my scotch on the rocks which I think is a war crime in some areas.

Famous Grouse always reminds me of the train ride from London back to Paris and was one of the few good things about the London trip, so it holds a special place in my heart. I haven't had it since so I don't remember the flavor. I plan on changing that in future though!

Cuttysark is my go-to for cheap scotch that's still tasty. You can get it just about anywhere for under $5, and it's not nearly as harsh as J&B.

Glenlevit 10 Year was really good the one time I had it, but the bar I got it from charged me way too much. Never again.

Trader Joe's actually sells a really good single malt scotch for cheap STOP LAUGHING I'M BEING SERIOUS HERE. There are worse things to put in your face for $20.

Well, that's my opinion, thread. Thanks.

Oh, and I usually stuck to Bushmills for straight whiskey and Four Roses for Bourbon. Nothing else I've had really comes close to either.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Lowness 72 posted:

Picked up a bottle of Angels Envy (port aged version) and the last bottle the store had of Old Forester Birthday. I'm pretty excited. Happy Thanksgiving to me.

Great choices imo. Angel's Envy really satisfies me for a sweeter bourbon, and Forrester Birthday is just so so good.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I decided to roll with some Booker's tonight. Love that cinnamon deal it's got going.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

Oh, and I usually stuck to Bushmills for straight whiskey.

Bushmills isn't straight whiskey, Bushmills is Irish whiskey.

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

Chokes McGee posted:

Trader Joe's actually sells a really good single malt scotch for cheap STOP LAUGHING I'M BEING SERIOUS HERE.

From what I've read, they just buy up the barrels that don't pass quality control from various distillers and then bottle it under their label. I saw two bottles on the shelf last month, right next to each other, that weren't even close to the same color. So I guess it's kind of a crapshoot and you might get lucky.

I've been reading this thread on and off for a while but don't really ever post. Can anyone give me any recommendations for good ryes? I normally drink bourbon and occasionally Scotch, but wanted to branch out a bit. I've only really tried the Bulleit rye; it's good but I'd like to check out some others.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Willet Family Reserve, EH Taylor, Whistlepig - all delicious

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

ChickenArise posted:

Willet Family Reserve, EH Taylor, Whistlepig - all delicious

Thank you, I will keep an eye out for these at the liquor store.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Also Jefferson's reserve rye 10yo is basically whistlepig at a bit lower proof but much lower cost.

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
Any suggestions for anything I should add to my collection? I have my eye on a few Japanese whisky bottles.

Whisky - Canadian

Alberta Premium Dark Horse
Black Velvet Toasted Caramel
Forty Creek Barrel Select
Forty Creek Confederation Oak Reserve
Forty Creek Copper Pot
Collingwood Whiskey
Tap 357
Lot 40 Copper Still
Canadian Club Sherry Cask
Canadian Club 12 Year Old
Sortilege
Sortilege Prestige
MASTERSONS 10 YEARS OLD STRAIGHT RYE WHISKEY

Whiskey - Irish

Irishman 70
Jameson 12 Year Old
Bushmills Black Bush
Connemara Peated SIngle Malt Irish Whiskey

Whiskey - Scotch

Ardmore Traditional Cask
Isle of Jura Superstition
Amrut Fusion
Glenmorangie Original
Glenfiddich 15 Year Old
Talisker 10 Year Old
Johnnie Walker Black Label
Dalwhinnie 15 Year Old
Highland Park 15 Year Old
Glen Garioch Founders Reserve
Chivas Regal 18 Year
Laphroaig 10 Year Old
Aberlour 12 Year Old
AUCHENTOSHAN 12 YEARS OLD
Glenlivet 16yr Nadurra
Glenlivet 18yr old
GLENMORANGIE QUINTA RUBAN
Bowmore Darkest 15yr
LAGAVULIN 16 YEARS OLD
Ardbeg 10 year old

Whiskey - American / Bourbon

Buffalo Trace White Dog
Buffalo Trace Bourbon
Woodford Reserve
Bulleit Bourbon
Old Forester Birthday Bourbon
Knob Creek Bourbon
Blanton’s Bourbon
Cyrus Bourbon
Bernheim Wheat Whiskey
Four Roses Single Barrel Bourbon
1792 RIDGEMONT RESERVE BARREL
Colonel E.H. Taylor Jr Small Batch
Angel’s Envy Bourbon
Gentleman Jack
Sazerac Rye 6yr
Woodford Reserve Four Woods
Knob Creek Rye
Big Bottom Whiskey Port Cask Finish

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Devoz posted:

Any suggestions for anything I should add to my collection? I have my eye on a few Japanese whisky bottles.

:words:

As a lover of Japanese whisky, I say get yourself a bottle of Yamazaki 12, Hakushu 12, or Nikka Taketsuru 17. These, when found, usually range around $50-$70 depending on how bad your state tries to gently caress you (if US).

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

spankmeister posted:

Also Jefferson's reserve rye 10yo is basically whistlepig at a bit lower proof but much lower cost.

Thanks. I had written down the ones ChickenArise recommended, but didn't find them at the liquor store I went to this afternoon. I will look for the Jefferson's Reserve next time, the name is familiar so I believe I've seen it in stock around here (Minneapolis) somewhere. I grabbed a bottle of the Russell's Reserve this afternoon. We have company coming over for a dinner party this evening so I look forward to trying it then.

lexan fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 30, 2013

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
I've been pretty hung up on bourbon and rye for the past year, I'm ready to try exploring the world of scotch again. My goal for next month is get a couple of bottles and compare the styles. I'm looking at Bowmore 12, Highland Park 12 and Glenfarcas 12. Each one runs between 40 and 50 where I'm at, so if I don't like a bottle it's not too much of a cash loss. Does this seem like a decent mix?

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

rxcowboy posted:

I've been pretty hung up on bourbon and rye for the past year, I'm ready to try exploring the world of scotch again. My goal for next month is get a couple of bottles and compare the styles. I'm looking at Bowmore 12, Highland Park 12 and Glenfarcas 12. Each one runs between 40 and 50 where I'm at, so if I don't like a bottle it's not too much of a cash loss. Does this seem like a decent mix?

I haven't tried the Bowmore or Glenfarcas, but Highland Park 12 is absolutely fantastic and is one of my favorites. I don't think you will be disappointed. I've seen a few places carry it with a sample bottle of HP 18 as well, so look around and see if you can grab one of those.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

rxcowboy posted:

Go make a Manhattan with it.

This was a good idea. I made two, one with some Old Overholt and the other with Rittenhouse and I can definitely taste the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

rxcowboy posted:

Each of those are fairly distinct whiskies. Glenfarclas, I'd describe as a fairly rustic tasting Speyside with big flavors. The 12yr has a hint of peat and tastes a little boozy. It's noted for being one of the only family run distilleries left, so it gets a lot of love for that. The younger expressions aren't memorable, the older ones (21yr, 25yr and beyond) are considered great bang for the buck.

Bowmore has that typical Islay peat, just less of it. It's a favorite among independent bottlers...very drinkable and comparatively light. Being a medium peated Islay makes it less visible to scotch hobbyists than the likes of Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Ardbeg, etc.

Highland Park also has medium levels of peat...but it's not the Islay kind. It's smoky, but less earthy. Highland Park has broad appeal because it's very balanced with a good mix of flavor.

If it were me, I'd buy Balvenie 12yr Double Wood insread of Glenfarclas 12yr. They aren't similar, but I'd rather my first impression of Glenfarclas be the 17 or older. Balvenie represents the super sweet, lemon drop candy side scotch and would be a good contrast to the balance of HP and the light characteristic of Bowmore (peat aside.)