Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I got to try Lagavulin tonight. Holy poo poo was that tasty. If I liked that, what tasting notes should I be looking for in other scotches ? Smokiness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Lowness 72 posted:

I got to try Lagavulin tonight. Holy poo poo was that tasty. If I liked that, what tasting notes should I be looking for in other scotches ? Smokiness?
Lagavulin is a 10/10 on the smokiness scale with Laphroaig, Ardbeg and Kilchoman being turned up to 11. Stuff like Octomore is a world-ending asteroid worth of peat (though I found it quite drinkable. Lagavulin is pretty unique in its combination of rich fruit and smoke, I can't really think of any particular Islay that is as well rounded. Ardbeg Uigeadail would be closest, but Laphroaig Triple Wood is a definite no. I've never tried a sherry aged Kilchoman, maybe someone else could chime in on that?

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 11, 2013

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

kidsafe posted:

Lagavulin is a 10/10 on the smokiness scale with Laphroaig, Ardbeg and Kilchoman being turned up to 11. Stuff like Octomore is a world-ending asteroid worth of peat (though I found it quite drinkable. Lagavulin is pretty unique in its combination of rich fruit and smoke, I can't really think of any particular Islay that is as well rounded. Ardbeg Uigeadail would be closest, but Laphroaig Triple Wood is a definite no. I've never tried a sherry aged Kilchoman, maybe someone else could chime in on that?

Seconding that Laphroaig is like drinking the contents of a smokey hole in the wall bar where you can't see 3 feet in front of you, but in a good way.

Squishy
Mar 9, 2003

Just opened a botteling Aberlour did for the city. Every citizen of Aberlour got a bottle for free. It is basically an even smoother version of the Aberlour a'Bunadh. I just can't seem to find information about it online.

They only made about 1800 bottles and only sell them at the distillery itself. I had to pick one up while doing a tour of the Speycside with a group of 12 people in october. We visited 12 distilleries in 8 days and even had a guy from Mortlach come to our cottage (which was about 50 meters away from the GlenLivet distillery) for a tasting.

I have lots of pictures of the distilleries if people are interested.

In two years we are doing Islay.

Anyway, the bottle is totally worth the 90 pounds I payed for it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Elmnt80 posted:

Seconding that Laphroaig is like drinking the contents of a smokey hole in the wall bar where you can't see 3 feet in front of you, but in a good way.

Some tasting notes on Laphroig 10 from my friends:

"Rusty shipyard"
"Wet campfire"
"Old purse leather"
"This is delicious"

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Hah, I came here to ask a question about Laphroaig! It's my husband's favorite whisky (I believe he's only tried the 10 year) and I wanted to get him something special for Christmas, but not necessarily something he's had before. Any recommendations for something similar and as (if not more) expensive? Also what's the best glassware to drink whisky from? Might as well go all out.

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006

Abbeh posted:

Hah, I came here to ask a question about Laphroaig! It's my husband's favorite whisky (I believe he's only tried the 10 year) and I wanted to get him something special for Christmas, but not necessarily something he's had before. Any recommendations for something similar and as (if not more) expensive? Also what's the best glassware to drink whisky from? Might as well go all out.

For the glass I would suggest a nice glencairn glass, or a set of them.

For similar whiskey options, Ardbeg 10yr and Lagavulin 16yr old are good options in my mind. Similar style and price point.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Abbeh posted:

Of all the other Islays, I think Kilchoman is the most similar to Laphroaig. They currently have no whisky older than 8 years, and most of it is younger than that, but it's high quality stuff.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Awesome, thank you! I'll keep an eye out for these at some of the local stores.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Kenning posted:

Some tasting notes on Laphroig 10 from my friends:

"Rusty shipyard"
"Wet campfire"
"Old purse leather"
"This is delicious"

I took some Laphroaig Quarter Cask to a party a few months ago and the general consensus on the taste from non whisky drinkers was "liquid brisket". It was gone within the hour.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Thoughts on Leopold fruit whiskeys? Stupid gimmick that whiskey purists scoff at or a unique and interesting drink from time to time?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Thoughts on Leopold fruit whiskeys? Stupid gimmick that whiskey purists scoff at or a unique and interesting drink from time to time?

I loving love the peach whiskey. I'm not really sure if I would call it whiskey anymore, but it was incredibly delicious as a digestif. And I want a bottle.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
I thought I'd check GWS for a brown liquor thread after seeing the scotch thread in GBS2.1, and, lo and behold, it's on first page. I read flipped through the last few pages and this seems like good company. Here's the stuff I posted over there:

My Glenfarclas '79.

My current bottles of the Buffalo Trace Antiques.

Tonight I'm drink Mortlach 15 which I picked up from BevMo on a whim.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Does anybody happen to have a bottle of the Antiques Sazerac Rye for trade? I would love a bottle - had a chance to have a glass of it at a bar that focuses on whiskey and it was the best I had ever had. I was sad when I found out that I missed it by a couple weeks this year.

The Jizzer
Mar 19, 2003

...a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.
FYI Trader Joe's is selling a 23 year old Speyside Single Malt for $39.99.
It's distilled and bottled by Alexander Murray & Co., who has a pretty good track record of bottling house brands.

It's pretty good, extremely mellow, oaky, and a hint of smoke. Not really up my alley, but for the price it's amazing. This will go fast.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Potato Jones posted:

I thought I'd check GWS for a brown liquor thread after seeing the scotch thread in GBS2.1, and, lo and behold, it's on first page.

Welcome to the classy part of the forum. :wotwot:

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
Over the past few months, I've been drinking a lot of Ardbeg 10. I absolutely love the stuff, I think it's responsible for getting me interested in peat. It was pretty funny when my friend thought I was drinking white wine until he got a whiff of it.

Where should I go next? I tried Laphroaig 10 once, it was alright but I was not a fan of the medicinal flavor. Is the quarter cask better?

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Troll Bridgington posted:

Over the past few months, I've been drinking a lot of Ardbeg 10. I absolutely love the stuff, I think it's responsible for getting me interested in peat. It was pretty funny when my friend though I was drinking white wine until he got a whiff of it.

Where should I go next? I tried Laphroaig 10 once, it was alright but I was not a fan of the medicinal flavor. Is the quarter cask better?

I am just starting to like peat. Laphroaig 10 was a bit too much smoke (and the medicinal flavor you mentioned) for me when I first tried it. That said, after buying a bottle of Quarter Cask this month, I absolutely love it. It is a strong peated whiskey but the peat works really well alongside the other flavors in the whiskey.

For tasting notes check out Ralfy on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpf-era7sh0

He does lots of whiskey reviews and I personally think his Quarter Cask review is spot on.

E: added link.

Ren and Stimpire fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 12, 2013

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Quarter cask is great if you're not a huge fan of the 10 year/not quite ready for the 10 year yet. It has just as much peat, but the sweetness from the various woods balances it out very nicely. Sort of like how a double IPA is hoppier than a regular IPA but the extra maltiness makes you not notice that fact as much.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
I found the QC punchier and more aggressive than the 10, but maybe I'm weird... anyways, yes Peat, it's a thing. I'm an ardbeg Fanboy, over the other islays but still embrace/appreciate Lag 16 as a high end standard for a go-to islay.

Recs: Don't bother with the Ardbeg Ardbog, but if you see any Galileo flying around I would say go for it and if someone offers you a taste of something called Supernova you say yes.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Recs: Don't bother with the Ardbeg Ardbog, but if you see any Galileo flying around I would say go for it and if someone offers you a taste of something called Supernova you say yes.

How is the Uigedail? I like your collection by the way.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

I found the QC punchier and more aggressive than the 10, but maybe I'm weird... anyways, yes Peat, it's a thing. I'm an ardbeg Fanboy, over the other islays but still embrace/appreciate Lag 16 as a high end standard for a go-to islay.
QC has a much crisper, more minerally mouthfeel...like when you drink a nice cold glass of real spring water. The smoke is just as strong, but it's woodier and less earthy. Lagavulin 16 is always the winner in our post-Thanksgiving dinner tastings among non-drinkers. The smoke hides the alcohol, the mix of all types of casks in the vatting produces a rounded overall profile. I can't think of another Islay that would have the same effect...Uigeadail is far too potent for most, even when diluted.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
EDIT:^^^^Yeah, I'd say that's about coherent with my experience overall.

Thanks!

I regret to report that IMX the last few times I've tried recently purchased bottles of Uige they are different and have less of the aggressively dark/sweet finish than the ones sold ~3-4 years ago. It's still a nice step up in intensity from the 10 and provides a different set of flavors, (more tar, less sweet, more burn, less ash) from Lag 16.

KhyrosFinalCut fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 12, 2013

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

It's amazing. If I go into MD to buy liquor, it's cheap enough to be worth the extra $ over the 10yr, which I also love.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Protip: if you even suspect that you have a stomach bug that could possibly involve vomiting, put down the scotch. It's only tasty the first time.

Gregorio
Aug 9, 2010

Squishy posted:

Just opened a botteling Aberlour did for the city. Every citizen of Aberlour got a bottle for free. It is basically an even smoother version of the Aberlour a'Bunadh. I just can't seem to find information about it online.

They only made about 1800 bottles and only sell them at the distillery itself. I had to pick one up while doing a tour of the Speycside with a group of 12 people in october. We visited 12 distilleries in 8 days and even had a guy from Mortlach come to our cottage (which was about 50 meters away from the GlenLivet distillery) for a tasting.

I have lots of pictures of the distilleries if people are interested.

In two years we are doing Islay.

Anyway, the bottle is totally worth the 90 pounds I payed for it.

Hey Aberlour Village 200th Anniversary Bottle Buddy, I got 1408/1812, how about you?

I haven't opened mine yet because I have so much that's already open and it's so nice in the box :)

Squishy
Mar 9, 2003

Gregorio posted:

Hey Aberlour Village 200th Anniversary Bottle Buddy, I got 1408/1812, how about you?

I haven't opened mine yet because I have so much that's already open and it's so nice in the box :)

1386/1812

And whisky is not for sitting pretty. Whisky is for drinking, although the box is pretty nice with the purple ribbon. :D

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

Could I see a Hat Wobble?
If you're a fan of something with not much flavour but also (deceptively) not much bite, try this:

It is a bit sweet, there's not much complexity to it, but it is easy to drink. Probably too easy :ohdear:

EDIT: Agree with the posts at the top of this page, Lagavulin 16 is amazingly tasty and you should drink it.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Astarath posted:

If you're a fan of something with not much flavour but also (deceptively) not much bite, try this:

It is a bit sweet, there's not much complexity to it, but it is easy to drink. Probably too easy :ohdear:

EDIT: Agree with the posts at the top of this page, Lagavulin 16 is amazingly tasty and you should drink it.

Yeah discovered this a few years ago and shared it with whatever new crowds I can find. The sweetness in Bernheim has always struck a pointedly cherry note with me.
Agree with the easy drinking part. Could be arguing taste and semantics, but I wouldn't call complexity and flavor the same thing, and while I agree this isn't all that complex, I don't think it's lacking in strength/quantity of flavor.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I've found that a high percentage of wheat results in very smooth but uncomplex whiskey.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
After a randomly having a whisky (Monkey Shoulder?) a few weeks ago, I realized that I really, really enjoy it. Maybe something switched, maybe it was because I stopped drinking it like a loving idiot and actually took my time to enjoy it. Anyhow, I wanted to head down the right road and experience all the different types of whisky, so I started with an Aberlour 10, which I like, and although I was planning on a Highland Park 12 or Laphroaig 10, I came across a Lagavulin 16 for the equivalent of 40 bucks US or so and figured that was a pretty good deal, so I picked that up instead, though I think it might be partially wasted on someone who knows as little about whisky as I do. I'm looking forward to tasting the peat since I have no idea what that tastes like. :)

Edit - Wow, that's really not a very subtle flavor, I was half expecting to have to concentrate and look for the peat a bit when drinking the Lagavulin, but it really just whomps you ever the head with the smoke. Fortunately I enjoy smoked beer so it's a flavor I like. :)

Armed Neutrality fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 13, 2013

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

Could I see a Hat Wobble?

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Yeah discovered this a few years ago and shared it with whatever new crowds I can find. The sweetness in Bernheim has always struck a pointedly cherry note with me.
Agree with the easy drinking part. Could be arguing taste and semantics, but I wouldn't call complexity and flavor the same thing, and while I agree this isn't all that complex, I don't think it's lacking in strength/quantity of flavor.

Yeah, flavour and complexity are definitely not the same thing. What I mean when I say complexity is how each note complements or contrasts with each other, and how the overall flavour develops over time. In this case, I didn't think the overall flavour was really that strong. It also didn't seem to have many component parts to it, and it didn't really develop either - hence not very complex. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though. Sometimes you don't want the sensory overload you'd get with, say, an Octomore. If you're looking for a drink that you want to explore, investigate, then this one is not it. If you want the potable version of lounge music, this is for you.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Stultus Maximus posted:

I've found that a high percentage of wheat results in very smooth but uncomplex whiskey.

Yeah, that's the thing about wheat whiskey. It's why Maker's Mark is so boring, and so popular.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Astarath posted:

Sometimes you don't want the sensory overload you'd get with, say, an Octomore.
Octomore is so much more complex than you make it out to be, how the smoke develops is worth a paragraph or two by itself... Anyone who has tried Octomore knows that even though it's got some ridiculous PPM of ~170, it doesn't fry your tastebuds at all. The last Octomore I had was the 4.2 Comus, and it was one of my favorite tasting experiences EVER. You roll the whisky over your tongue and you get no more peat than any standard Islay, but then it wells up at the bottom of your mouth at your gums and slowly rises to the roof of your mouth like a tide coming in. It's a sensational, slow warming mouthfeel. It's so slow that it never overloads your senses and you can still taste the sweetness of the sauternes cask finish.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 14, 2013

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
"The architect Adolf Loos was ahead of his time with this clear, uncompromising concept of form. This tumbler service is made with a so called brilliant pattern on the base. Each line is still cut by hand and carefully matt-polished. This series paved the way for modern glass design and is another Lobmeyr classic since 1931."

RIP to one of my favorite drinking glasses, the latest victim of my wife's clumsiness. Fortunately I have more, but now I'm all OCD about having an odd number. I figure if I give it a couple of years that'll "correct" itself.

edit: goodnight sweet prince

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What are the other things in that picture?

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Tools for trimming rifle cartridge brass for precision shooting. The picture was taken tongue-in-cheek for some thread in TFR where we were discussing various expensive tools that we use for handloading.

:homebrew:

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

So yesterday I had my first taste of George T. Stagg. I am officially hooked. Holy hell, what a dram. I just wish it wasn't selling for hundreds of dollars on craigslist :smith:

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

Lowness 72 posted:

Just seconding how delicious Lagavulin is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
For my birthday I got a bottle of Cardhu and a Talisker 10. I've not seen Cardhu mentioned here, although I saw some Diageo hate earlier on. Personally I like the Cardhu but it's quite smooth. Not very much going on in it, but it's definitely not unpleasant.

The Talisker I am absolutely in love with though. I think I'll be adding something more peaty to my collection soon, as I've been very happy with all the Scotches I've tasted that have peat in them (HP12 and Lagavulin)

Also looking for something smoother that'll be more of a crowd pleaser when friends who aren't that into whisky come around.