Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
So has anyone else blown $50 on JD's unaged rye? My first impression was goddrat but there's a reason whiskey is aged. Maybe I'll get used to it, worst case I guess I can dump some 7-up or something in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Glottis posted:

Is that the stuff that comes in a similar bottle to the JD Single Barrel?

Yup, sort of squat, cube-ish bottle. At one store they were right next to each other. eh, here:

And yeah, it seemed like a bit much but for a one time thing I thought hey, why not. The next time I feel like spending that much I'll get a decent scotch or something that at least has seen the inside of a barrel. (I've seen Dad's Hat Rye which someone mentioned a few pages back, that's on my list.) Maybe I'll give the finished product a shot in four years or whenever, depending on how much they want for it. :)

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Devil Wears Wings posted:

:siren: Attention PA Whiskeygoons :siren:

I was browsing PA's wine & spirits website for their new monthly deals today and found that Springbank 10 (which is awesome) is on "stealth sale" for just $39.99 a bottle. At my local state store it was still marked at $48.99, but I asked one of the employees to confirm the price and it rang up at the discounted price. I'd grab this while you can, as it's a great deal on one of the best mid-priced single-malts out there.

They *might* be discontinuing it, at least I saw it on the clearance shelf a couple months ago at one store. And it doesn't show up in their inventory online that I checked. Dammit, now I'll have to look out for it.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
"anger grass" is apparently horny goat weed. So yeah, "medicinal". :v:

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
I'm still liking 2 Gingers even though half the time it just tastes like bubble gum.

Maybe I should try mixing it with ginger ale like the label suggests.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
I was about to post that. Going to have to look twice the next time I buy some "independent" or whatever rye when I can just get Bulleit.

I wasn't planning on buying Whistlepig anytime soon since it's $70 in PA. er. oh, the article says it comes from a Canadian "factory distillery" rather than this one in Indiana. I can't remember if the NPR piece made that distinction.

e: on a somewhat related note, JD's 2 year rye is out. I think I'll pass. :v:

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
I've seen that before, but does that mean that Old Overholt is just slightly older Jim Beam or is there some other difference?

(And Knob Creek older still I guess.)

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Checked the first and last few pages of the thread and didn't see anything, so... any thoughts on Laphroaig Triplewood? Both it and the 10 year are on sale this month in PA and I'm wondering if it's worth the extra ~$15.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Mr. Glass posted:

yeah this basically sums up my feelings about it. doesn't hit the notes i want a Laphroaig to hit, but if you're really into the flavor profile i say go for it

Went and bought it and am pretty much in agreement with the blog as well. It kinda seems like the... Laphroaig-ness and sherry aging are pulling in two directions. Or "smoky jam" for short.

It's an interesting flavor and I don't regret buying it at all but I probably won't be getting it again either.

edit: Definitely Laphroaig though, going to be tasting smoke for hours. :v:

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 14, 2014

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Personally having tried both Redbreast 12 and Green Spot I was kind of underwhelmed by both. I guess for $50 or $60 I just expected more. I can't even say they were the best Irish whiskeys I've had, though they were very good.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
I remember liking the single malts from Connemara and Tullamore though I really should try them again. (Tullamore's is pretty cheap, which is nice. :)) Basically I don't get the whole "triple distilled" thing which I have trouble seeing as anything but killing interesting flavor. Tullamore's standard offering isn't bad when I'm feeling cheap, too.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
This month's sale purchase is Clyde May's (Alabama Style) Whiskey. Distilled in Kentucky so may actually qualify as Bourbon, who knows.

Like the label says, tastes oddly of apples. Pretty good.

e: vv yeah I tend to forget that Bourbon can technically be distilled anywhere. They bother to mention Kentucky on the label though.

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 4, 2014

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
drat, I may have to cough up the cash for that. For that reason and since it's one of only like two or three Japanese whiskies I've seen in PA. :ohdear:

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Bushmills Irish Honey is on clearance in PA. Which is a shame since it still tastes like something resembling whiskey rather than some cotton candy nightmare like Wild Turkey's or something.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Caddrel posted:

Speaking of Tullamore Dew, what other Irish whiskys are decent around that price point? I love Redbreast and Green Spot but it would be nice to have something cheaper than those since I can't always afford them.

Paddy and Bushmills are a little cheaper here and I've found them tolerable.

Clontarf and Jameson made me want to die, maybe they're ok mixed.

At about the same price or more are Powers which I think I remember liking and The Irishman, how's that for original naming. I think I liked that too, and they have a single malt that is of course a bit more.

(A little more and you've got Jameson Black which actually isn't bad, then single malts and "high malt" blends like Teeling which is pretty good. And then Green Spot &etc.)

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Above Our Own posted:

What's like a more drinkable Jameson?

comedy answer: anything but Jameson.

more serious: If you like Jameson but just find it too "harsh" or something there's always Black Barrel. Thing is though around here it costs just as much as Black Bush or JW Black which are probably better.

otoh, if you want something that costs about the same and doesn't taste like lighter fluid I'll second Tullamore D.E.W., or Paddy is another that's not bad. Hell if you've got money and time just try all the sub-$30 Irish whiskeys and see what you like. (This is the correct answer. :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Huh, I had that Crown Royal rye. Thought it was... better than anything else I'd had from Crown Royal at least. And it only cost like $30 so I guess it was good for the price. Don't know about WHISKY OF THE YEAR.

Somewhat on topic: Any good sites for whisky reviews, or how do you find good reviews, or should I just ask in the thread? There's a few things that have popped up around here that I'm curious about.