Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I've been drinking Jim Beam White for a long time since it's pretty much the only dirt-cheap, readily available bourbon here in rural UK. And, while I'll be keeping a bottle around for lovely party drinks like boilermakers and such, I need something with some actual flavour. Also, a good introductory rye. I'm no stranger to full flavour (I'm a big fan of Laphroaig and Smith & Cross rum), and in fact I'd prefer something with some complexity and body, since all my homemade Manhattans thus far have been dull, lifeless affairs :(

I was thinking maybe Wild Turkey 101 for bourbon, and Rittenhouse 100 for rye? Seems like both have a pretty good rep here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Slimchandi posted:

Rittenhouse 100 seems quite difficult to get hold of in the UK. Maybe consider Sazerac Rye, or Pikesville (which I believe is Heaven Hill as well).

WT101 is a fantastic bourbon, Elijah Craig 12 at a similar price point as well.

Rittenhouse is proving a lot easier to find than Sazerac in my neck of the woods. Sazerac was another contender but it seems to be sold out everywhere.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Slimchandi posted:

Where is this so I can drive there tonight.

Corks of Cotham in Bristol appear to stock it.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Rittenhouse 100 is the poo poo. Makes a delicious Old Pal.

How's FEW Rye? I've read varied reviews -- I think I'm being seduced by the presentation.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

dennis4167 posted:

Where is a good place to start with hard alchohol?

Four Roses Small Batch. Worked for my brother.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I really like Nikka Whisky from the Barrel.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I was thinking of getting a bottle of the new Dark Origins for my brother for Christmas as he's a huge Highland Park fan -- is it any good?

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Devil Wears Wings posted:

mostly negative things about Finlaggan.

I'm quite surprised by this, since it's a non-chill-filtered, naturally-coloured, cask strength independent bottling of what many people suspect to be Lagavulin for £40. Admittedly, it's supposed to be a young expression, but still.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Well hell, Caol Ila's own cask strength bottling is more than double the price! If I were a peathead, I'd snap it up.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I have to choose between Ardbeg Uigeadail, Old Grand-dad 114, and Springbank Cask Strength for my monthly payday booze order. This is gonna take some deliberatin' :colbert:

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Zarkboy posted:

Okay, I'm a long-time lurker who doesn't post much, but over the years I've learned a lot and gotten some great recommendations in this thread. I've recently started up a whisk(e)y blog, and if anyone wants to check it out, I'd be thrilled the get any feedback - are my tasting notes coherent, is the writing remotely interesting, etc. I'm still trying to figure this whole "blogging" thing works. Anyway, the address is https://www.adramgooddrink.com. No pressure, but I'd welcome anyone's input! Thanks!

Bookmarked. Good stuff.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I fancy a couple of bottles of the good stuff for my upcoming 30th birthday. I think a bottle of Scotch or Irish, and a bottle of American. So far I've narrowed it down to:

Scotch/Irish
Laphroaig 18
Highland Park 18
Redbreast Cask Strength

American
Whistle Pig 10 Year
James E Pepper
Stagg Jr
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Balcones Brimstone (seems a bit, I dunno, gimmicky)

Either that, or a single bottle of something a bit more special, for which I'd be prepared to pay up to £200.

Does anybody have any recommendations?

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Hey, thanks all.

I think I'll get a sample of the Brimstone before shelling out for the whole bottle. I guess I was hoping for a more intense version of High West Campfire (drat, I need a bottle of that too).

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

obi_ant posted:

So, I acquired a bottle of The Glenlivet 18 Year. I'm typically a beer drinker and I'm having a bit of a difficult time drinking this. Is this a bottle a good place to start? The only other types of hard liquor I've had are typically either with ice, or in shot form; stuff like Blue, Red, Black Label, Bullit, Jameson etc.

For my birthday I was given a sampler of Glenlivet 18 and a small of bottle of off-brand Speyside from a relatively upmarket UK supermarket (Marks and Spencer). I much prefer the supermarket whisky; the Glenlivet seems bland and lifeless in comparison.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

grandpas drunk posted:

You ever mix wis key with tequil a I like to sometimes and get the party staaaaarted!!

wub a lub a dub duuuuuuuuub

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Allantois posted:

*EDIT* For comparison the Death & CO recipe uses 2 parts buffalo trace to .75 parts simple syrup and .75 parts lemon juice with the same egg technique but suggests angostura bitters to finish it off and an orange crescent / cherry flag for garnish. *EDIT*

I tried this a while back and it was far too sweet and kind of bland for my tastes. Personally, I'd dial back the simple to .5 and incorporate at least some bitters before shaking.

You might try them with Irish whiskey in place of bourbon -- Redbreast is fantastic for this, but even plain old Jameson's does the job.

Wachter fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Kenning posted:

Yeah, Caskmates is a really boring whiskey. Not worth the price of admission.

Good save; standard expression Jamesons is a guilty pleasure of mine and I had that lined up for payday. I should just get another bottle of Redbreast already (I should always get another bottle of Redbreast).