Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I had some flask questions, and the main hits I've found on SA for that were in the old version of this thread. I take it the general consensus is: a) don't put anything acidic or sugary in them b) don't put anything expensive in them, or leave anything in them for long, c) they're a bitch to clean and even to dry out.

Regarding a) and somewhat b) I checked on titanium flasks, but they're generally $80 plus. To address c), I noticed there are "tube flasks" which seem like they'd be easy to clean with just a bottle cleaner, and as easy to dry as whatever else.

Is there really any difference between one make/type of stainless steel flask and any other, or are they pretty much all equivalent? If so, I'll probably get a couple steel tube flasks. I guess I could just get some test-tubes with good screw-caps, but that's even less sketchy than a flask, and also breakable. Portion size isn't so crucial, since I mainly want to get some so I can do the "Oh hay, I just got a bottle of [Krongstadt aquavit, Batavia-Arrack van Oosten] and you need to try a taste, I'll bring you some to take home."

Am I missing anything, or short of titanium I should just get whatever stainless flask is cheap, and the tube type might be easier to clean/dry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Mikey Purp posted:

I'm no help on scotch, but give Bulleit a try, or better yet Bulleit Rye.

Good timing in this thread; I just picked up a bottle of Bulleit Rye yesterday to make some punch-type beverage for the holidays. I've had good experiences with Bulleit Bourbon before; it's pretty much my favourite in the <$30 category for bourbon, which is up to this point my favourite form of whiskey. As in "I didn't even like whiskey until I tried bourbon."

The thing that I particularly like about Bulleit is that, rather than simply meet the US-mandated minimum of 50% rye grain (or the godless Cannuck mandated minimum of 0% rye grain), Bulleit goes the distance and makes their rye from 95% rye grain. Not a whiskey expert, but I immediately concur with the assessment that rye is like a drier and spicier bourbon. I don't know how I've gone 31 years without deliberately drinking rye, but I would recommend to any other holdouts that it's a variant worth trying.

For the $50-75 range in the US, with an emphasis on being a rye that's clearly distinct from other whiskeys, are the various Buffalo Trace options decent? Thomas Handy?

Not sure how the thread feels about "white whiskey", but there are a couple of places that do a high-rye (1512 does a 100%) unaged rye distilled products. Are those a decent way to get a feel for the specificities of rye vice other whiskey grains?