Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

attila
Jun 15, 2007
To dream the impossible dream...?

A Winner is Jew posted:

Anyone know anything about the Makers 46 Bourbon?

It's standard Maker's with an addition of charred french oak staves to the barrels for the last few months of aging. Maker's is a sweet bourbon since it's mash bill has wheat instead of rye. I find Maker's 46 is sweeter than standard Maker's.

It's good stuff when you want something a little sweeter and smoother. It would probably be good in most cocktails if you adjust the sugar in the recipe down a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

attila
Jun 15, 2007

wormil posted:

I've been curious about Fighting Cock, a 103 proof, 6 year, bourbon by Heaven Hill (Elijah Craig, Evan Williams)…but the aftertaste was pleasant and after a few glasses I would definitely buy this again.

After a few glasses of anything I usually don't have much to complain about…

Someone had asked about the Costco branded bourbon. It's fine, nothing fancy. I'm not particularly fond of it, but for $20 it's great to have on hand for mixing. It is distilled by Jim Beam as someone else pointed out, so use that as a gauge of whether you'll like it.

attila
Jun 15, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Bruichladdich makes gin? Hm, interesting.

Some friends tried and said it was pretty good. Gin is the new hip thing, even for whiskey distillers with a well established history apparently.

Tried Black Maple Hills bourbon the other night. Pretty good stuff. Same distiller that makes Willet, Noah's Mill, and Rowan's Creek. I like all of those so I'm looking forward to trying some of the other labels they have.

attila
Jun 15, 2007

kidsafe posted:

Don't most new distilleries start off making gins, rums, and other white spirits because its a way to make a profit short term while their brown spirits age?

Pretty much. I think you can have a gin out the door in a few months versus a minimum of a year for bourbon (at least Kentuck bourbon).

Probably a lot easier to distill something to no flavor and add the botanicals in than to produce a flavor profile that's then aged as well.

attila
Jun 15, 2007

"[ts posted:

xenophobe"]
Any suggestion for a middle of the line milder bourbon I could use to infuse. Nothing as good as Woodford or with a taste like Beam. $20-30

Depends on what you're going to infuse in it. I like Maker's for something sweeter and Buffalo Trace for something a bit spicier. Last bottle of Buffalo Trace I got was $23, so I wouldn't feel too bad about using it and it would take a lot to screw it up.

attila
Jun 15, 2007

VampiricGiraffe posted:

Woodford Double Oaked: The smoothest bourbon I've ever had. Takes woodford's trademark smoothness up a notch while maintaining a very full flavor. I think I will have to have a taste test between this and the standard woodford reserve...how about right now (so its noon, sue me)?

Just got a bottle when I was home and visited the distillery. Sadly, I didn't get to taste it there (nor their two ryes). I'm hoping for good things though.

I also saw the Buffalo Trace Experimental Collection and single barrels at the liquor store I stopped in. But at $50 for 375 mL of the Experimental Collection I passed. I have a couple photos of the bottles I'll try and post though.

Turkeybone, Northside should have Rowan's Creek and Noah's Mill which are from the same distillery (which may or may not be Heaven Hill from what I've heard, they also make WIllet). Rowan's Creek is good stuff and worth picking up at some point. I liked the folks up at Triphammer as well and they have a decent selection. Ask them if they can order it for you special. No guarantee, but they will do special orders.

attila
Jun 15, 2007

NightConqueror posted:

EDIT: Holy poo poo their bourbon prices are absurdly good. Four Roses Single Barrel for $33? Yes please.

I think when I was home at Christmas in Louisville, Costco had Four Roses Single Barrel for $28. If you know someone with a membership, well worth stocking up. Sadly, my bottle is now half gone from making Mint Juleps yesterday.

attila
Jun 15, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

Ok, so when I was last at the Makers distillery I bought a bottle of "Makers White" (aka white dog) at the gift shop because I had more money than sense.

I now have had this bottle for six months taking up space in my liquor cabinet and I have no idea what to do with its contents. It wasn't great straight up but not awful either; almost smelled like tequila. I tried mixing it with vermouth just for kicks and my consensus was that I ruined some perfectly good vermouth.

Any good cocktail recipes that involve un-aged whiskey?

It's sold primarily as a novelty because it's fairly harsh and untempered by those wonderful charred white oak barrels.

I've had a bottle of Buffalo Trace white dog I've been looking to do something with as well. I've added ginger and a bit of sugar to half of it, but it still smells harsh so I've yet to try it. That was over a year ago.

There are quite a few places that will sell you an aging kit, usually a small barrel that's been charred for you, to age new whiskey in. I'd personally go that route or make some rumtopf with it. You could probably do something to age it with some charred wood chips as a cheaper way. I'm guessing you have about 375 mL of the stuff so not enough for a barrel.

attila
Jun 15, 2007

wormil posted:

I don't believe most US whiskey barrel warehouses are climate controlled other than vents and maybe fans to let excess heat out in the summer. According to kidsafe the warehouses at Buffalo Trace have crude climate control although I don't remember that being mentioned during the tour…

Most bourbon warehouses have "climate control" that's more akin to a greenhouse than an active heating or cooling system. A few (e.g. Labrot and Graham) have steam pipes to provide more heating/cooling cycles during a season, but they are the exception since that's a bit resource intensive. The main idea is to cycle the whiskey in and out of the wood numerous times, so L&G claim the heating allows them to age a bourbon faster than a warehouse without active heating.

I think most bourbon warehouses are brick or stone (depending on when they were built) although most of Heaven Hill's are not (I think, I've never been on their tour, just seen it from the road). Blanton's (distilled at Buffalo Trace) is somewhat unusual in that it's the only metal warehouse at BT. Kind of an interesting little article on it at the Blanton's site here:

https://www.blantonsbourbon.com/warehouse-h

attila
Jun 15, 2007

Will Willis posted:

"This is a backlash agaist the 60-odd years of large conglomerates dominating the market," says Will. "We'll make in a year what Maker's Mark does in a day. The yield is really small, maybe 1 gallon every 17 minutes, but none of the big houses produe an un-aged whiskey, which we do."

From an article about Boston area distilling in the The Improper Bostonian.

I guess it's a way to get product to market, but that's usually why new distilleries start with vodka, gin and at least in Boston, rum. I can't imagine why you would want to sell an un-aged whiskey.

I do want to check out Ryan & Wood though (mentioned in the article). Maybe their rye will be good.

attila
Jun 15, 2007

Killer robot posted:

Given that many of the unaged whiskeys I've been seeing appear recently are priced similarly to aged ones, I've got to imagine the margin is pretty good. I more wonder why you would want to buy one as more than a novelty, especially at those prices.

I was in Seattle recently and Woodinville Whiskey was $35 a bottle for unaged corn whiskey. That's more than Woodford most places. I actually tried some at a friends place that trip and it's not horrible, but it ain't good. And by not horrible I mean it wasn't pleasant but I didn't spit it out. Really sweet though.

I'd say novelty is a powerful motivator for a lot of these products and few will last in the market.

attila
Jun 15, 2007

Jo3sh posted:

The reason Jack Daniel's is not Bourbon is the charcoal filtering thing they do.

Hm, maybe I am wrong. Wiki says that JD meets the legal definition of Bourbon, but that the distillery chooses not to market the whiskey that way.

From what I've heard, Jack Daniels reuses their barrels which is why even if the mash bill is similar to a typical bourbon, it can't be called bourbon. They probably bu quite a few older bourbon barrels since they're only used once for bourbon.

The charcoal filtration has nothing to do with it. Most distilleries probably filter their barrel aged spirits to remove particulates. My most recent distillery tour was Woodford Reserve and they have a pit set up for charcoal filtration when blending barrels for bottling. I'm guessing plenty of others do as well.

For a whiskey thread there sure are a lot of people confused on what makes a specific style of whiskey Irish, Canadian, Scotch, Bourbon, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

attila
Jun 15, 2007
Saw this on my morning check of interesting sites:

http://clayrisen.com

Sounds like he's working on a book about the history of American whiskey and will be posting some regular tasting notes as he works through the various offerings.

One of his posts actually linked to the federal labeling requirements for whiskey sold in the U.S. Here's the relevant chapter:

http://www.ttb.gov/spirits/bam/chapter4.pdf

And the entire manual:

http://www.ttb.gov/spirits/bam.shtml