Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
How long does opened whisky last for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Is Johnny Walker Black Label suppose to taste like burnt rubber or did I buy a bad bottle?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Sounds like a bad bottle.

Yeah I think it is. I've had it before and my memory tells me it was sweet and oily and smooth while this was rancid and rubbery.

Well poo poo, what can you do with bad whisky aside from pouring it down the drain?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

What sort of whiskey would you recommend to fans of Old Grand Dad 114?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

My local store is selling the "Heaven Hill's Distillery" gift set for $27 on clearance. Is that a deal worth picking up multiple boxes of?

https://sipwhiskey.com/product/heaven-hill-distillery-american-whiskey-tasting-experience/

edit: Did the math and you basically get around $22 worth of Whiskey. Fuuuuuck that.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 11, 2018

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Has anybody tried Wyoming Whiskey Private Stock? My store has it on clearance at $30 and I can't find that much discussion on it.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I bought a $5 bottle of Revel Stroke Blended Canadian Whiskey and oh boy was it the worse thing ever. I forgot how bad cheap alcohol can be. A reminder of "Oh yeah, it can stink and taste like hydrogen peroxide."

But instead of throwing it out, I decided to have a little fun with this and read up on what you can do with bad alcohol. I saw a foodhack where you can put bad vodka through a charcoal water filter to "remove chemical impurities" that can attribute to that "non-edible alcohol product" characteristic and decided to give it a shot with the whiskey and filter it through my Brita water pitcher 11 times.

And it actually significantly improved it! Somewhat. Sort of. What I mean to say is that while it significantly removed the bad chemical smell and taste, it may have also removed other flavor characteristics from the whiskey (or this $5 bottle of crap didn't have any to begin with.) Either way I now have a bottle of corn alcohol that tastes lightly sweet and lightly like something you could use it to disinfect your foot or clean a CPU with.

But maybe now I can add my own flavoring to it? I got some kitchen baking goods that could be used to emulate a more complex whiskey profile. I mean, gently caress it, what's there to lose?

I'll have to think a little bit more on what to add, but if anybody has any bad ideas I'd appreciate them.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

These are wonderful: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ATV2Q5Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a very versatile cup that's good for however you enjoy whiskey, but my favorite part is that it's a tulip cup that isn't awkward to sip with when your drink is low (unlike the Glencairn or the Norlan glasses.)

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

wormil posted:

The only Scotch under $40 I drink is JB. I buy it about once a year.

That's the only Scotch I use to destroy Chess Wizards.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 17, 2019

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

After hearing about Old Forester 1920 here and reading up on it, it seemed like the big budget step up from Old Grand Dad 114 that I wanted. So I picked up a bottle and boy, boy oh boy, it is a very very good whiskey and exactly what I wanted.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Is OF 1920 a limited release? I keep seeing people buying multiple bottles of the stuff. It's $60 at my local Woodman's so I'm not really in any hurry to buy more of the stuff but I'd be bummed if it's suddenly gone.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I want to also give a shout out to Nikka Coffey Malt Whisky. It's a rush of sweet, syrupy, and buttery flavors. Sometimes maybe too sweet, it's a whiskey you need to be in a certain mood for but when you're in that mood it's just the greatest. Also when you're drunk as hell it smells how I imagine the afterlife smells.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

zmcnulty posted:

Enjoy it while it lasts!

My Woodman's had four bottles of it for $53 as some black friday event thing and after I bought and tried the first bottle I went back and bought two more. The only other place I saw it in my area was selling a single bottle of it for $85 (but this is the same store that sells ODG 114 for $29, so...) I wish I bought the fourth bottle, honestly!

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 20, 2019

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

So my local Festival Foods had "Minor Case: Straight Rye Whiskey, Sherry Cask Finished" on sale from $46 to $30, so I figured "hey why not try it out." People here were curious about sherry casks anyways.

I checked the age and uh, 24 months, that's not a lot of time to age a whiskey, especially when you're talking about a "sherry cask finish", which is theoretically a double barrel rye. But hey, $30 isn't a bad price to see what a company was trying to sell for $46. :v:

And uh, wow. There're two characteristics that surprises me in regard to its young age: One, despite it being aged only seemingly a little in a sherry cask, it has a very fruity/wine-y profile that lasts throughout the taste. Two, it's very smooth and very tasty. Its youth is undeniable, it's pretty blunt and brash about its flavor, but it's a very good flavor. It's wine and rye flavor profile pares really well with savory food and cheeses, if you're interested in a dinner whiskey. I can't say that it's a must-buy $46 whiskey, but if it were to always be at $30 it would definitely be a mainstay for me. I'm definitely going to go back and buy a couple more bottles. If you're curious about sherry casks, I'd say try it out because it's sherry characteristics are apparent and you get to sense what it does to smooth out a young whiskey.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 10, 2019

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

I've been drinking Rare Breed recently (cask strength Wild Turkey). It's no ECBP or Stagg Jr, but for $38 it gets the job done almost as well and at (approximately) half the price. Basically a big old funky cinnamon bomb.

I picked this up a couple weeks ago since I'm a big cinnamon fan and but only until now invested some time into it. Yeah, it's a funky cinnamon bomb alright. I quite like it. I'd probably love it if it was cheaper but it's very nice for what it is.

Also for some reason Henry McKenna Single Barrel is rare in my area, but the $40 bottle I picked up is pretty weird tasting. Some of the flavor is like.. Lamb with mint?

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 6, 2019

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I use ice if its cheap whiskey and I want to be an ice n' whiskey kinda guy. Otherwise it's always straight.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Yuns posted:

My go to bourbons these days are all readily available: Knob Creek Single Barrel 120, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, 4 Roses Single Barrel, Old Forrester 1920 and Makers Mark Cask Strength. They're all very good bourbons, aren't allocated and aren't chased by taters. I find them just as good if not better than many hard to find bourbons. I'm shocked that Rock Hills has become unavailable. It was a shelf turd for a while around here and now it's disappeared. What changed? Did someone name it to a best of list?

Edit: Actually after buying a bunch of different bourbons at secondary prices including buying Pappy 15 and 23 at a bar. The only bottle I'd buy again at secondary pricing was George T Stagg at $399. Nothing else was worth the premium to me.

Yup, those are some good Bourbons. Wild Turkey Rare Breed is really, really nice tasting for a $38 bottle. I'm a cinnamon fiend though, so your (and I mean you, the reader) mileage may vary. 1920 is incredible when my palette in the right place, although it is starting to become hard to find in my area. x_x. 4RSB is not only usually good but super fun to try since the flavor can vary quite a bit from barrel to barrel. It's kinda exciting whenever I discover a barrel that's unique to the usual ones in the area.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 22, 2019

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

DoctaFun posted:

Sorry I wasn’t very clear about that , I was still engulfed in happiness from such a delicious bourbon.

Basically, the bourbon nerds at reddit deciphered the meaning of the laser code on different wild turkey bottles. These codes are lasered onto the bottle on the line or right after it’s been bottled or something.

Anyways, for the newest iteration of rare breed, the codes all look like LL/xxxxxx or something. The first letter after the slash refers to the year, in this case I think F is 2017, G is 2018, H is 2019, etc.

The next letter refers to the month, so LL/GA is January 2018, LL/GB is feb 2018, etc.

The remaining digits refer to the exact date and time.

This coincided with a lot of folks on r/bourbon raving about recent bottles of rare breed. After some investigation they settled on the LL/Gxxx bottles being really good, and the were able to somehow confirm from Jimmie Russell that the barrels used to make Rare Breed were trending older and older throughout that year as they were using up more young barrels than expected to meet Longbranch demand.

Hope that makes sense, but I can confirm that my LL/G bottle of rare breed is fantastic right out of the gate, I’m excited to see if it gets better as it oxidizes a bit.

Hell yeah, another bottle to obsessively hunt and hoard now.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

It's white text below the back label, it's pretty hard to see. Impossible to see on an empty bottle.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I went to my local store and they seemed to have moved into LL/H. then I peered into the far and deep back and saw a bottle behind other brand of bourbon and lo and behold it was a LL/G.

There was also a $5 rebate for it so I only paid $32. Pretty decent!

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

found a store with a couple LL/GK bottles, and a singular LL/GA one. I searched online and I haven't seen anybody talk about the LL/GA bottles, so I'm curious.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I found a place that sells it... For $20. :/

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Yuns posted:

Fred Minnick did a blind taste test of the 2019 BTAC vs a number of good easy to get bourbons and ryes. Rare Breed came out on top over everything. So now I have to worry that one of my daily drinkers will disappear off of shelves. His ranking was Rare Breed, Eagle Rare 17, William Larue Weller, George T Stagg, Evan William's Single Barrell, Old Forrester 1920, 4 Roses Small Batch Select, and Makers 46. BTAC Handy and Saz came out on top of the ryes.

Where can I check this out?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

My woodman’s got the Angels Envy Rye and boy it’s really, really sweet. It’s complex, but it feels like I’m eating a bunch of really good candy together. Like some super exquisite ribbon candy and licorice. I don’t know of it’s my style, but it’s a good one to show off.

I also endorse the 1910. If you like the full body experience of the 1920 but want less bite and more oak, go for it.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Bought a bottle of OGD Bonded for old time's sake and I'm wondering why the heck it took me so long to come back to it. Toffee and spice, and everything nice.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Yeah, I can’t believe Breaking Bourbon praised it so highly. They seem to be OF fanboys regardless.

OF is very hit or miss imo.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 21, 2019

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Whiskey Advocate had their best whiskey thing.

A $36 bottle in bond version of George Dickel won.

http://whiskyadvocate.com/top20/

I regret not picking up the Erza Barrel Strength while I had the chance.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Laphroaig 10 is what I imagine the rum ham
tasted like after Danny Devito fished it out of the ocean

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

My Woodman’s stopped carrying Makers Mark Cask Strength, and another local chain quietly lowered the price of theirs to $40. Both got a influx of the “Private Select”. Is Cask Strength being discontinued?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I've been drinking Longbranch tonight. Surprise: it, like everything else from the Wild Turkey distillery, is really good! I guess you could call it their version of "Gentleman's Jack" or "Dickel Barrel Select".

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Toki tastes like gussied up moonshine imo. I got some "Time and Oak" sticks for christmas and stuck one in the Toki, and after a month it tastes like... Decent Scotch.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 1, 2020

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I also stuck one into a "Jim Beam Devil's Cut" bottle for science It's been a month and I haven't tried the result yet. I imagine the oak taste is going to kill me, it was almost nigh intolerable without the stick.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

For a tie in to a lovely movie, that bottle is everywhere. I’m trying to play the long game and wait until the stores say “gently caress it” and put it on clearance.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Also my Woodman’s will have like, errant bottles behind the counter that you actually have to look through odd angles for. And you’ll look like a crazy person trying to scope them out. But you may anyways because they’ll sometimes have a spare bottle of, say, Nikka Coffey Malt for $53 or what I found today: Jack Daniels Heritage Barrel for $55.

Which is really good, oh my god. Fantastic sweetness at the forefront that quickly shifts to a satisfying pepperiness. How the gently caress does a Jack Daniels end up becoming this good?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Got a bottle of Kentucky Spirit for $40. Rare breed is much better imo, the oak takes too much of that cinnamon funky bomb away.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

screwball doesn't really taste like peanut butter or whiskey, more like a chocolate tootsie pop liquor

however I paired it with sloe gin in one of those division shot glasses and it was one of those concoctions that I would've drank until ruination back when I was younger.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I gotta say gentleman jack is kinda addictive, it’s like drinking a peppered pear.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW1te_miu5I

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

You can buy staves and stick them in bottles. I got a bunch for Christmas. They’re a fun way to experience alcohol. Buy an ol’ cheap fav and stick one in and try it over the course of a couple days (or even a week or two.) Sometimes they can rescue a terrible bottle like Toki! I just recently bought a bottle of 1792 Full Proof and it has waaaaaaay too intense of a burn, so I stuck one in and by day three it became a much more pleasant drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Re: the guy 9 posts ago

I always thought the aftertaste of wk101 was pretty metallic. Like I just had a filling inserted. Don’t know why, it’s not like that in any of their other whiskies

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 9, 2020