Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Awesome, a new thread since the last time I read about whiskey. Goons, I am in sore need of advice or a recommendation. I am turning 30 soon and want to get a scotch treat for myself. I have long craved the Glenfarclas 105 Cask Strength and have actually found a bottle in stock locally for $99 usd. Plus, the only 30 year old I've seen in any liquor store near me is a Macallan 30, and I'll be damned before I drop $1200 on a bottle.

I guess what I really want to know is if there are any special drinks that won't cost me an arm and a leg? Are there any 30 year olds in the $100-300 range that are worth picking up for a cliche 30th birthday drink? Should I just Grab the Glenfarclas and a couple other bottles to total up to ~$200?

Here's what I've currently got in my cabinet, minus the Balvenie (finished those off a few weekends ago). I'm partial to the Talisker, but have had a lot of Speyside on hand as well.

Edit: I'd also go for a good bourbon or other non-scotch whiskey, so suggest away!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Fantastic lineup. I've had all four and they're all great. I actually have a bottle of the Abelour batch in the cabinet right now.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

On a completely unrelated note, it seems that the folks on /r/whiskey are precisely as awful as one would expect (but also very rich):

Does anyone really keep the boxes/tubes that booze comes in when you buy it?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

This might be considered blasphemy, but it's summer and I'd like to sip on something whiskey-y and sweet. Does anyone have good recommendations for good whiskey-based fruit cocktails or fruit-infused whiskeys? I had a Huckleberry flavored whiskey that was an amazing thing to sip on after work, but was wondering if there were others like it that are of comparable quality.

Squeeze half a small lemon in a highball glass and muddle with several mint leaves. Drop in a shot of high proof whiskey (Bookers is my go to) and a splash of simple syrup. Fill with crushed ice and stir. Top glass off with Topo Chico mineral water.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Bakers is good, Bookers is better!

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

wormil posted:

The bottle I had tasted like dust; terrible. Took forever to finish it. I think I mixed it with a honey bourbon that I wasn't fond of but together they were drinkable. At that price range I expect better; someone should be tasting the loving barrels before bottling. Does Beam even have a master distiller? I've had issues with Knob Creek not being consistent too. To be honest, I think Bakers is an anomaly among Beam products in that is delicious, higher end, and consistent.

It is a small batch bourbon so it can be inconsistent, but the three bottles I've had have all been good. Hot with a big burn but with some water or in a classic cocktail it's great. I've never had bad tasting notes, always sweetness, vanilla, and tannin. The nose can be off-putting though.

Plus I buy it on sale, never paid more than $45 iirc.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
The Balvenie 15 sherry cask is pretty good but good luck finding a bottle under $100. Abelour A'bunadh is probably the better choice for a lower price.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Do always buy cheap Abelour. I've got a batch 41 I'm still working on and it's great.

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 15, 2016

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Glenlivet 15 French Oak Reserve is good

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Tomatin is fantastic for what you pay for it. Very light Speyside malt, nice buttery rum nose and a sweet taste.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Paul Proteus posted:

Aberlour A'bunadh is the first one that comes to mind. Some Glenfarclas offerings. Springbank 12.

Glenfarclas 17 especially.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

hakimashou posted:

That looks like it will fit the bill, Total Wine here has it and I'm gonna see if I can't make time to pick some up tomorrow.

E: it looks like another store has Glenfarclas 25 year for 150$ The 17 year is 95$

I think i'll get the 17 year first and if I really like it, spring for the 25 year on a special occasion or something.

Haven't had any Glenfarclas older than 17, but I have had the cask strength 105. I highly recommend that one too, if you can find it.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Having a pitcher of good filtered water nearby is good too, so you can add a drop here and there to see if you can unlock different flavor profiles.

And drink in between drinks to keep from getting too wasted, especially for cask strength stuff.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

I bought a bottle of Laphroig at my local package store a couple weeks ago but haven't opened it up yet. I just stopped by the other package store that's a little farther away and it's eight dollars cheaper. I'm so mad right now.

You shouldn't be mad, you should have two bottles of Laphroaig.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

wormil posted:

Sometime back I did a tour of inexpensive bourbons and it really didn't hold any surprises. Lately I started a tour of inexpensive Scotch blends beginning with J&B and found it far more drinkable than expected. Now I'm doing Ballantines and finding the same thing, though I preferred J&B a tad more. What next? Dewar's?

The Famous Grouse!

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Rythe posted:

My wife expressed interest in trying whiskey since she sees how much I enjoy a great old fashioned but the problem is she is a fan of overly sweet and fruity drinks and I have no idea how to not ruin a whiskey but find a drink she would like.

Anybody have a suggestion on what to try? I was thinking of making a simple syrup with macerated cherries and try to make a variation on the old fashioned.

Make your own simple syrup and sweet and sour. Whiskey sours or whiskey smashes all day.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I picked up a Whistlepig single barrel private label from Total Wine and here's to hoping it is as good as the floor manager thought. He said it was "gently caress you good" when I asked him if he'd had it before.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Last night I went out with a buddy to my favorite whiskey bar in Baltimore - Birds of a Feather - and bought this because your comment stuck in my mind as something I should remember. It's like toffee, caramel, spice, and booze soaked pannetone. Probably the sweetest scotch I've ever had. The aroma is absolutely lovely and two people to my immediate left commented on it when the dram was poured. Really delightful, but definitely a sipper. I don't know if I'd buy a bottle though.

Do buy a bottle, I have one and it's totally worth it. Especially with a drop of water to dilute and open it up.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

krustster posted:

I got a bunch of money recently as well as a promotion so I'll buy this immediately. What else is good for fans of Highland Park, Macallan and other sweet/sherry flavored scotch? I remember liking the Glenmorangie different barrel series a few years back but they seem to have gone up in price so I want something new. Is Highland Park 15 or 18 worth the premium compared to the 12?

Glenfarclas 17 comes to mind, or French oak Glenlivet 15, if it still exists.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

I'm doing some cleaning today and decided I need to drink more, still have 4 of these bottles left from my first post in this thread.

Abelour is batch 41 and 59%.
Whistlepig is bottled for Total Wine & More barrel 8 at 117 proof.
Bookers is batch C07-A-12 at 65.3%/130.6 proof.
Blantons is bottle 195 from barrel 131 at 93 proof.

Not pictured, half a bottle of Glenfarclas 105 I had to put in a decanter because the cork broke in half.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

TopHatGenius posted:

Hullo goons,

I absolutely love Lagavulin 16. It is a fantastic Scotch. It is a peat-y beast so I know it wont stand with most non-scotch drinkers. I'm looking for something that would be approachable but great tasting for casual to non Scotch drinkers.

Any Speyside (like the balvenie) is pretty tame intro for first time scotch drinkers.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Rittenhouse used to be distilled at the distillery that makes Woodford Reserve rye now. WR also has a pretty low rye percentage in its mashbill, so if you like Rittenhouse that would be my suggestion.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Talisker 10 has a similar peat level to Laphroaig, 16-22 ppm. I like it more than Laphroaig’s standard bottling, but I’ve never had quartercask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I’m moving cross country soon and the movers won’t move alcohol so I’m trying to drink what I can solo during lockdown.

Let’s say I’m pretty hung over from finishing a quarter bottle of Glenfarclas 105 last night.