Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

kaldas posted:

Just picked up a bottle of Balvenie 17 Rum Cask before I went out of town last weekend and tried it last night. Have to say that I love the sweetness imparted from the rum casks; being an avid rum drinker I have to say that I find it delicious.

Sup Balvenie Rum Cask buddy. :hfive:

I have to agree with you that it's a really, really smooth scotch although pretty sure the Caribbean cask is only a 14yr and not a 17yr. (Still delicious)

Having been turned onto scotch after finding this thread about three years ago while wanting to order more than just a beer when I went out I'll give my notes on what I've tried for anyone else that wants to get into more sophisticated ways of getting poo poo faced.

Entry Level Scotch, $35-40

Highland Park 12yr: Think of this as scotch 101. At $40 a bottle, mild notes of just about all the major flavors it's been the only bottle I have purchased more than one of.

Balvenie Double Wood 12yr: If Highland Park is the remedial class, this is the honors course. Again around the $40 a bottle range however with stronger notes of smoke but also bolder tastes of spice and honey.

Macallen 12yr: I haven't purchased a bottle of this, but since it's usually the only scotch you can get in restaurants I frequent that doesn't have "Walker" in the name I've had it several times. Again a very approachable scotch but instead of heavy peat and smoke I usually taste a blend of vanilla, spices and nuts.

Mid Level Scotch $50-100

Macallen Cask Strength 15yr: Higher proof so I usually add a bit more water to it than other glasses, but when I do I find that the heavier smokey and nutty flavors open up a bit more.

Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14yr Got this instead when I went to pick up a Dalmore Rum Cask they were out of it and I'm not disappointed at all. Very smooth scotch with almost no peat taste that I feel like I could start drinking in the afternoon during the summer.

Dalmore Grand Reserva 16 yr: My new personal favorite at only $70 a bottle. A fantastic mix of citrus, chocolate, and caramel while having a fantastic light smoke finish.

High End Scotch $100+

Highland Park 18yr Have to be honest, glad I got this as a present and didn't pay for it myself. I just felt that it had an overpowering amount of spice and peat for my tastes, but if you're into that I guess go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Anyone know anything about the Makers 46 Bourbon? I've seen it around for $35+ at a bunch of places but tonight while filling up my wife's wine rack I spotted a bottle of it going for $26. Not much of a bourbon drinker since I prefer scotch, but I figured it's time to branch out into other things now.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

spankmeister posted:

It's not incredibly special but for $26 it's a good deal.

Oh well, at least I have a solid bourbon to use for Manhattan's when Mad Men comes back.