Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

So, I do drink Whisky and Whiskey from time to time. I really like peaty scotches like Lagavulin and Laphroig. (My Dad also has a bottle of blended that was aged 40 years). I also enjoy Woodford Reserve Bourbon. Since I live in Canada, thinking about trying out some Canadian Whisky. Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

SO, I'm at Mccaren, and apparently, their duty-free has a unique version of Jack Daniels called Sinatra Select. Should try it out? I mean, part of me feels like it's not that much better than regular jack. But, who knows, right?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Am I a heathen for planning on making a Manhattan with Woodford Reserve?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Schpyder posted:

Only if you're not pairing it with a good vermouth.

Is Martini and Rossi Red good?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So my roomates' brother showed up this evening for video games, and he brought a gift he got from a customer (He runs his own home reno company). That gift was a bottle of Four Roses single batch. He didn't like it neat, and he, the idiot, mixed it with coke and didn't like it. So I offered to give him $10 for it, half as a joke. He said sure. So now, I got three bottles of pretty decent bourbon. I am beyond happy right now.

EDIT: I mean small batch, not single batch.

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 5, 2013

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So for St. Patricks day I picked up a bottle of Jameson's. I previously said Irish Whiskey is shite. Not changing my opinion

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

NightConqueror posted:

That's like writing off all Scotch whiskey because you bought a bottle of Dewars White Label.

Have you tried Redbreast 12? Have you tried anything that's pure pot still?

I've had Writers tears.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Which one you is behind this

Cause drat, I wanna taste it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

NightConqueror posted:

Also, I'm very seriously considering buying a bottle of Balvenie 15 Single Barrel from a local liquor store that has it at the absurdly low price of $50. Has anyone tried it who can reccomend it? I was looking for something non-sherried, non-peated. Clynelish and Bruichladdich are also on the table.

Where is this local store, and who else is up for a roadtrip?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

What's the consensus of whisky stones btw?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

drat. I picked some up in the states.

Actually, I may do a test tonight. Make two manhattans, alike in dignity,
in my fair kitchen, where I lay my scene.
From ancient stones break new reciepe,
Where a test preformed makes a delicious drink to be seen.

(Translation. Gonna whip up two manhattans. One with ice, one with stones. Not going to transfer either to the glass, and see which is better.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Something I have discovered is that Collingwood Rye actually makes a decent manhattan.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I bought a bottle of Jim Beam Black yesterday, because it was only a couple bucks more expensive than white, so it was worth a try.

Well, from the start it was good, nice mouth feel, good flavour. But by god the aftertaste made me gag.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

God I wish I had enough cash to get a bottle of it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Stop drinking it all dammit!

Growing appetite for American whisky straining supply posted:

Fans of some American whiskies might soon be scrambling to find their favourite brand because of a seemingly insatiable demand for bourbon, rye and other styles of whisky that shows no sign of abating.

Consumption in the U.S. of straight American whisky, a category that includes bourbon, rye, corn whisky and Tennessee whisky, grew by 5.2 per cent in 2012, compared with 3.5 per cent in 2011, said a report released this week by Technomic, a food industry market research firm.

The increase in consumption was almost as large as that for vodka, which has a market share four times that of whisky and a consumption increase of 5.8 per cent in 2012.

The growing appetite for whisky has created supply pressures on some distilleries, particularly those that specialize in small-batch, premium products that have been rising in popularity, in part owing to a growing consumer movement that favours artisanal, locally sourced, niche products and production methods.

"It's primarily the smaller producers who have limited capacity that are dealing with this issue, although Maker's Mark, which is the fourth-largest straight American whisky in the U.S. market, is facing challenges to supply based on increased demand," said Donna Hood Crecca, senior director of Technomic's adult beverage resource group.
Kentucky distilleries expanding

Maker's Mark, which is owned by Beam Inc., makers of Jim Beam and Canadian Club, made news earlier this year when it announced that it would be watering down its bourbon in order to reduce its alcohol content so it could produce more product to meet rising demand. It backpedalled after an outcry from customers, who began hoarding the higher-proof bourbon in anticipation of the change.
Some of the popular bourbon brands sold by Beam Inc., the world's biggest producer of American whisky. It also owns Canadian Club whisky.Some of the popular bourbon brands sold by Beam Inc., the world's biggest producer of American whisky. It also owns Canadian Club whisky.

The scare increased sales of Maker's Mark by 44 per cent in the first quarter of 2013, leading some to speculate that the whole thing was a shrewd marketing strategy.

Other distillers in Kentucky, where much of American whiskey is made, have also been scrambling to satisfy the growing appetite for all styles of whisky.

Heaven Hill, a family-owned distillery that is the second-largest holder of bourbon and American aging whisky after Beam, is undergoing its second expansion in seven years and is building a new visitors centre in downtown Louisville, Ky.

Its flagship bourbon brand, Evan Williams Black, saw a six per cent increase in sales in 2012, said Larry Kass, director of corporate communications for Heaven Hill Distilleries.

"Both on the production side and from the tourism and marketing end, we and several other distilleries are making major investments," he said.
No sign of slowdown

Kass has been watching sales of American whisky skyrocket at home and abroad for the last decade.

"The rise of distilled spirits, cocktails and that whole thing, that has been going on for at least 10 years, but more specifically, bourbon, because of the nature of how it's made, the very traditional method that’s used, the fact that there's nothing artificial about the whole product, it plays very well into the whole locavore, slow food movement that's going on right now."
Whisky has to be aged for several years in barrels like this one at the Woodford Reserve distillery in Versailles, Ky., which means it's sometimes hard for producers to increase supply quickly enough to meet rising demand. Whisky has to be aged for several years in barrels like this one at the Woodford Reserve distillery in Versailles, Ky., which means it's sometimes hard for producers to increase supply quickly enough to meet rising demand. (Martinne Geller/Reuters)

The trend shows no sign of slowing down, he said, which is what has made distillers confident enough to invest heavily in their operations.

"There's no reason to believe that this is going to change dramatically. We all believe firmly that the growth trends in American whisky will continue," he said.

Buffalo Trace, another Kentucky distillery, which is owned by the Sazerac Company, issued a press release earlier this week warning customers that, despite an increase in production, demand is outpacing supply.

"We are making more bourbon every day. Our warehouses are filling up with new barrels," the release said. "Waiting for the bourbon to come of age is the hard part. While we wait, there could be temporary product shortages.… This announcement is not meant as some sort of scare tactic to get people hoarding bourbon."

Kass said that his company isn't experiencing shortages, but "supplies are tight."

"But they tend to be historically tight in the bourbon business," he said. "The nature of our business is we need to project demand very far in the future."
Many whisky types on the rise

While American whisky has seen the biggest sales boost, other types of whiskies are also on the rise, Kass said.

"A lot of different styles of whisky are popular right now," he said. "There's all these great expressions of Canadian whisky now that you never used to be able to get, so that's experiencing a bit of a renaissance as well."

The Technomic report found that other types of whisky did not see as great a rise in demand last year as straight American whisky. Consumption of American blended whisky declined by one per cent while Canadian whisky remained essentially flat, with only a 0.7 per cent uptick.

"Scotch whisky slipped slightly (–0.2 per cent), although the single malt Scotch segment grew 6.3 per cent," Hood Crecca said in an email to CBC News.

Irish whisky saw a double digit gain as in the previous year (+21.6 per cent), but that's because it is the smallest category of spirits in the U.S. market, she said.
Whisky catching up to Vodka

Canadian distillers have also been tracking the rising popularity of whiskies, says Jan Westcott, president and CEO of Sprits Canada, the national trade association for distilled spirits.

"After 25 years of vodka, vodka, vodka, whiskies are back in front of consumers, and North American whiskies in particular, particularly rye whiskies, seem to be really of interest," he said.
Vodka was the drink du jour in the 1990s and early 2000s, spurred by the popularity of the TV show Sex and the City, whose characters drank cosmopolitans. Above, a vodka-based cocktail.Vodka was the drink du jour in the 1990s and early 2000s, spurred by the popularity of the TV show Sex and the City, whose characters drank cosmopolitans. Above, a vodka-based cocktail. (Lucas Jackson/Reuters)

"We have a lot of U.S. companies coming up and buying rye from us and rebranding it."

More than 15 million cases of Canadian whisky were sold in the U.S. in 2011, according to the Beverage Information Group's Liquor Handbook. (A case is equivalent to nine litres, or 12 750 ml bottles, and is the standard measure in the industry.)

Canada exports 70 per cent of the whisky it produces, about 60 per cent of it to the U.S., and the rest to Europe and Asia, Westcott said.

Canadian brands like Crown Royal, Wiser's and Canadian Club are usually shipped south as bottled products, but some whisky is exported in bulk and either sold as Canadian whisky under American brands or blended and sold as other types of whisky.

Canadian domestic consumption of whisky has risen by almost a million litres between 2010 and 2012, according to Spirits Canada figures (see a full breakdown here). Canadian whisky accounted for 72 per cent of the 4.7 million cases of whisky sold in 2012 — about 3½ times more than Scotch, the second-most popular whisky.
No shortage in Canada

Westcott says Canadian producers haven't reported any shortages but stressed that balancing supply and demand can be tricky in the whisky business.

"The reality is, because you have to age whisky, it's very challenging to be able to forecast what the market is going to require," he said.

Whiskies have to age in the barrel anywhere from five to 30 years. In the past, producers have run out of a certain age category and had to use older whiskies in order to "keep the brand in front of people," Westcott said.

Most of Canada's whisky is produced in Ontario, with Alberta being the second-largest producer and some distilleries in Quebec and Manitoba. The whisky produced in Eastern Canada is generally corn-based with rye flavouring while western whiskies are made from rye.
The Mad Men effect

Westcott attributes the rising popularity of whisky to a combination of pop culture influences, an appetite for new products with more complex flavours and a story behind them and a renewed interest in premium products that can brand themselves as something legitimately unique and prized.
The popularity of the TV show Mad Men, whose leading man, Don Draper, above, is often seen drinking Canadian Club whisky, has fuelled some of the rising interest in the spirit.The popularity of the TV show Mad Men, whose leading man, Don Draper, above, is often seen drinking Canadian Club whisky, has fuelled some of the rising interest in the spirit. (Michael Yarish/AMC/Associated Press)

"It was Sex and the City that drove interest in martinis, cosmos, things like that [in the '90s]. Vodka's had a strong run for a long time, but the public said, 'OK, we've tried that; what's next?'" he said. "Programs like Mad Men, where Canadian Club figures prominently, [have] driven that. It's a maturing of consumer tastes. They're looking for something that's a little bit more interesting.

"The first challenge in the '90s and in the early 2000s was to get them back to spirits. They're back, and it's just a natural progression. You're seeing it most in whiskies, but it's also quite significant in dark rums."

The introduction of flavoured whiskies has also helped expand the spirits market share, Westcott said. Crown Royal now has a maple-flavoured whisky while Alberta's Black Velvet sells a toasted caramel whisky and Wiser's carries a spiced vanilla flavour. The Technomic report found that Fireball Cinnamon Whisky, a spicy Canadian whisky liqueur, was among the fastest-growing brands in the U.S. in 2012.

"That's bringing a lot of people into the category that would never have seen themselves as whisky drinkers — for example, women, who tend not to think of themselves as whisky drinkers," Westcott said.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I do like rum too and wouldn't mind a rum thread.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Last night, I went to a scotch tasting, with a goddamned Astronaut (Marc Garneau). We tasted four scotches. I can't remember the first one, but the second was Glen Garioch, Third Was Glen Fiddich Cask of Dreams, and third was Lagavulin 16.

Got to say, not a fan of the cask of dreams. Lagavulin is always nice, but Glen Garioch was my clear favourite. Also, Commander Garneau complimented me on my ability to discern the chocolate notes of it, which he noticed after I mentioned it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Mint Julep? Manhattan?

Those are my go to shite whiskey drinks

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

The only value a whiskey should have is the value to your tastebuds. My principal is always, if I have a choice between collecting whiskey and drinking it, I go with drinking it.

My Dad drinks his whiskey except for his mini collection. He has about 50 minis of different scotches, with the expectation that at his wake, my brother and I will drink them all to toast him.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So, LCBO in Ontario is doing their Whiskey Rocks event where all the whiskey's are on sale, and they have some special ones. I found a gem. Canadian Club Classic. CC is usually pretty crap but this is actually decent. Not harsh, and good for sipping straight up. It was also decently cheap.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Wanton posted:

I just started working as an apprentice in a whiskey distillery.
It's a pretty great job if you like scrubbing copper.
I do.

You. Lucky. Bastard!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Well, poo poo. I think I may need to turn to prostitution to afford it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I was thinking of grabbing a used decanter cause I'm a cheap pretentious git. How can I tell if it's Lead?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I know Christmas Dinner, I will sampling with my Dad and Grandfather, 12, 15 and 18 y/o Glen Livit. (Cause those three bottles are my Dad's xmas gift from me)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So it looks like Suntory has bought Jim Bean

Having never had any suntory, is this good or bad?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So, back on whisky news, I picked up a bottle of Bulleit Bourbon (Regular kind) after seeing it on sale at the Lic-Bo (LCBO). Drinking it straight I just get intensely spicy flavour and that's it. Am I doing it wrong? Would it be more of a cocktail bourbon instead of a straight bourbon?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Can anyone lend me $130?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Question. What the's opinion on the Bulleit 10 year old?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So, um, I'm running a bourbon tasting event tomorrow evening, and I am um, feeling woefully unprepared? Do you guys have any advice on how to run it, and what tasting notes I should be saying? (For reference, the bourbons are bookers, blantons and bulleit 10 year)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

40 creek has some pretty decent stuff. As is collingwood. As well there are really good smaller producers of good whiskey in Canada but I doubt you could get em in the states (66 Gilead,Dillon etc.)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

No_talent posted:

I'm not going to bother reading 137 pages to find this out. Just to satisfy my own curiosity, how many Canadians are in this thread? The beer thread is sparse, since the scene is so regional/expensive/small here, and I figured I'd check here too.

Actual whisk(e)y content : I love scotch especially Sherry barrel finishes, learning bourbon, and RYE IS MY JAM. I recently had Bulliet Rye and thought it was good, decent spicy finish,if a little slick. Whats the general consensus on some Rye worth looking for?

Hello there Eh. I personally am located in the Ottawa region. A good whiskey is 66 gilead's stuff. They''re in Prince Edward county, and they use a fair bit of rye in the bill. Also, 40 creek usually is nice.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Canadian Whisky is world's best whisky dammit :canada:

Change the OP

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

SO, at the duty free, I picked up a bottle of the Bowmore Black Rock. Ok, so it was actually my Dad who got it, but it's my birthday, so we cracked it. Oh my goodness, it is like liquid smoke and a bit of caramel an amazing.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I keep Glen Morraign around at all times for sentimental reasons.

Because during WWII my grandfather was stationed near the distillery (Or so he tells it) and that's how he got introduced to it (It's a great story, I'll post it sometime) and it's his favourite therefore, so when I do see him, we share a dram or two of it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So, my brother shipped my dad the Johnie Walker Adventurer's collection, with the caveat that one bottle goes to my grandfather, one to my dad and one to me. My grandfather got the only drinkable one (The Royal Road IIRC) and I got the dreck (Spice Road)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Evan Williams iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I thought it was a fancy Margarita machine