Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

e: IIRC, Canadian "rye" is not really rye whiskey.

Canadian whisky is often called rye as short hand, but it isn't strictly a rye whisky unless it says so (e.g. Alberta Premium/Alberta Springs). That being said, several Canadian whiskies include rye in the mashbill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Gift was a Glenlivet 18 from the old man. Haven`t cracked it open yet, though.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

spankmeister posted:

The 12 YO is better than the normal offering, but yes, Redbreast is in a whole other league from whatever Jameson offers, IMHO.

Some of the more experienced dram-masters here might differ, but in my experience Jameson Original = bland as can be, 12 y.o. = very good, and Redbreast 12 = angelic.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

spankmeister posted:

I think we can conclude that the vast majority of Canadian whisky is crap. Sorry Canada :canada:

It's just we keep all the good stuff to ourselves. :colbert: Keep on drinking that Canadian Velvet (trans: bluurgh), I'm pretty good with my Forty Creek here.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

spankmeister posted:

Actually I've only ever bought one full bottle of Canadian whisky, and it was Forty Creek.

But Forty Creek is the exception unfortunately.

Have you tried Glen Breton btw?

That's true, I like most of my Canadians :canada: and all, but they're usually used for mixing with pop and/or making cocktails. Sipping is usually reserved for the Scotch.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Tullimore Dew is a little bit smoother and at about the same price range.

I'm not familiar with Tullamore, but in my experience the entry level Jameson and Bushmills are only suitable for mixing. If you want decent (widely available) Irish start with Bushmills Black or Jameson 12.

I've heard Powers is also quite good, but at least in Ontario it isn't incredibly common in bars.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

wizard sticks posted:

What about Bushmills 10?

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-2834.aspx

Bushmills 10 is also nice, in my experience. It's usually a smidge pricier than BBlack.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

wormil posted:

JD is the Budweiser of American whiskey.

I don't know if it's that bad. JD is one-note, but straight-forward and distinctive in its own charming way. If you're with buddies at the bar and they all want to take shots of some other bar-rail bourbon, you can more easily convince them to upgrade to JD instead of a top-shelf bourbon.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

wormil posted:

I didn't mean to imply it's bad or low quality, just that JD is made for mass consumption and not interesting as a sipping whiskey. Perhaps calling it the American Crown Royal is more fitting. Supposedly it meets the requirements of bourbon but it doesn't stand up if compared that way. I don't dislike it but like Makers, you can buy much better whiskeys for the price.

Oh yes of course. If you're sipping JD or Crown Royal you're clearly doing it wrong.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Upon further inspection, he does that "throw it on the floor" thing in every single video, so I'm not really sure where to draw the line on when he's hamming it up and when he's entirely serious. The advice he's giving seems real enough, though. That terrifying statue in the background of the second half of the video is something else, though.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Paterson's presentation is cleary ridiculous, but as mentioned before the basic advice is sound. You could try swirling 1 tsp of whiskey in the glass and then throw it in the sink instead of on the floor, obviously. You should probably be cognizant of the temperature of the water you add, and make sure that the bartender knows you want cold/tepid water to add. The rest is him being silly/memorable that makes him a good presenter.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Smokewagon posted:

If you can find them try Alberta Springs (10yr), Forty Creek, and Wiser's.

I'd personally recommend avoiding Wiser's unless you start at Small Batch or better. Special Blend and De Luxe are bland or uninteresting rail quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

:toot: Going to the LCBO tomorrow.