Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

What's the best rye I can get at most bars? I usually default to Old Overholt because a) most bars have it and b) it's cheap. But am I missing out on some other generally available rye? I'm not too knowledgeable about american whiskey in general but I understand this is a pretty broad and probably dumb question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Jo3sh posted:

Aberlour A'Bunadh

It's like Christmas cake. Deep fruit and spices, soaked in sherry.

Last night I went out with a buddy to my favorite whiskey bar in Baltimore - Birds of a Feather - and bought this because your comment stuck in my mind as something I should remember. It's like toffee, caramel, spice, and booze soaked pannetone. Probably the sweetest scotch I've ever had. The aroma is absolutely lovely and two people to my immediate left commented on it when the dram was poured. Really delightful, but definitely a sipper. I don't know if I'd buy a bottle though.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Planetarium posted:

Anybody have picks for port-finished whisky? Wasn't a fan of the Quinta Ruban, though maybe I need to try it again now that I'm much more experienced, and I have the Balvenie 21 on the list for the holidays.

High West Midwinter Nights Dram. Depending on where you are it may be hard to find but a few years ago it was readily available. The internet ruins everything.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Four Roses small batch is my go-to whiskey gift. It’s quality hooch for a very reasonable price.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Mandalay posted:

I’ve bought a good 30 bottles of whisky this year and haven’t finished a single one. I enjoy just sipping an ounce or two at night.

It’s like I’m playing whisky Pokémon.

I keep doing this because every time I buy a new bottle I'm not that into it so I keep trying to find something I love. I'm mostly a scotch drinker with the occasional rye but trying to expand my horizons into bourbon but I just can't find anything I really love.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Got back from Tokyo yesterday. Drank a ton of whiskey in Japan and was really impressed with a lot of the random cheap whiskey I found there. Brought home bottles of Mars Cosmo and White Oak Akashi but the best thing I drank while there was a dram of Ichiro Chichibu “On The Way” at the hotel bar on my last night.

There’s a ton of great hooch over there for really reasonable prices.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Every single Irish whiskey I've had has this same off-putting almost sour flavor on the finish that I just can't get past. I've had a ton of Bourbons and Scotch, but this flavor seems to be exclusive to Irish whiskey. It's very pronounced in Jameson but I find it even in the mid to high end Irish whiskies. A friend bought me a bottle of Teeling for Christmas and I've had 2 pours of it. I just can't get past that flavor. Am I crazy or is there something about the process that makes all Irish whiskey taste like this? I don't get it in any other whiskey.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

If you can buy Weller 12, you should do that. It flies off shelves everywhere around me.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Bought a bottle of Van Winkle Lot B on secondary for $400. Pretty decent price imho.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

TobinHatesYou posted:

Those are money laundering politician prices. Each of those is roughly 2x what I can find them for locally.

Yeah those are DC prices. I work in DC and there’s a small store near my office with High West MWND and Yippee Ki-Yay for $250, Weller 12 for $450, Lot B for $500, and all the rest of the Pappys for $HAHAHAHAHA

It’s basically secondary prices in a store.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

I just bought a Stagg Jr and a High West Yippee Ki Yay for $130 total. I feel like I’ve won some sort of shelf prize.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Eh, I wouldn’t think that a broken cork would be such a big deal. Things happen. I had a High West cork break off inside the neck of the bottle. I put a screw into it and it was fine.

In other news, this is my latest find. Got both at the same shop on the same day for retail.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

My goto gift is Four Roses Single Barrel. It’s not super expensive but pretty darn good.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Mandalay posted:

Where do you guys get good glencairn glasses on a budget?

Steal them from bars

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

The coolest thing about Armagnac is that it hasn’t seen much if any hype so you can still find old bottles for reasonable prices compared to other spirits.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

I like to make a large batch of hot toddy’s in a crock pot for a party. Brew a big batch of tea in your crock pot, add lemon, honey, and whiskey to taste. Garnish with cinnamon sticks, star anise, and lemon slices.

It’s super easy and you don’t need an exact recipe because you can just tweak the flavor until it’s right.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Toast Museum posted:

Here's what I got from a quick skim:

• It's a little company that barrel-ages other companies' white whiskey.
  • Some good reviews, plus the rarity that comes with a local boutique suddenly having national demand, caused resale prices to skyrocket.
  • Whoops: they incorrectly labeled some products as straight blended whiskey, a term they didn't meet the legal definition of.
  • Unclear: I saw some mention of awful unsanitary production processes, but I didn't keep digging.

They were using plastic trash cans to store product. They were also going into secondary resell groups and buying and selling from each other to drive up the price then selling stock through those same groups at the newly inflated prices. I also saw some pictures of multiple bottles of the same product that had wildly inconsistent fills and coloring.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

A popular mid Atlantic trade group was infiltrated by The LCB a few months ago and they actually charged someone and confiscated all their booze.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

mentalcontempt posted:

Besides green label, what’s made your re-buy list?

Not my post but I figure this is a good conversation starter. The things I always have on hand are...

Old Overholt
Old Grand-Dad

For the price these can’t be beat for mixers in my opinion. And they’re good enough to drink straight as well. Though sometimes I switch to Rittenhouse instead of Old Overholt.

I also always have a bottle of Lagavulin because it’s the one scotch I absolutely love and nothing else can replace it.

Other whiskies will comes and go but these are staples.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

90-100 proof I drink straight. Anything higher gets an ice cube or a bit of water.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

I bought this decanter last year and it's perfect for my infinity bottle.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0150XLW76

My stopper is a little loose like some of the reviews mention but I put a rubber band around it and it fits perfectly now.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Enigma posted:

Aberlour A'bundadh is just over $100 here, is it really that good?

I don't usually go for non-islays, but I'm intrigued by the sherry, which is what I love about the Ardbeg Uigeadail (well that and the peat).

It's very unique and has a sort of rich spice-cake flavor. My bottle is 61% abv, which is normally way too high for me but I can drink the A'bunadh neat because the alcohol is so well hidden (my bottle of Stagg Jr has a similar abv and that's loving rough as hell for me).

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Peaty scotch and chocolate chip cookies is such an insane combination. I don't remember where I first read about it but it's so drat good.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Casu Marzu posted:

:psyduck: is plain ole buffalo trace suddenly in super high demand? A couple groups I'm in have a flurry of posts about it being in stock w/ a few bottles left at various liquor stores.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/drink/whiskey/bourbon-whiskey-pricing-rising-secondary-package-stores/

quote:

A decade ago, for instance, you had likely heard about collectors going to great lengths to secure bottles of ultra sought-after brands such as Pappy Van Winkle, a premium wheated bourbon from Buffalo Trace Distillery. As Van Winkle became increasingly impossible to get, the collecting mania shifted to Buffalo Trace’s W.L. Weller lineup of wheated bourbons, touted by collectors as the “next best thing” to Pappy because they were made from the same mash bill. Quickly, the W.L. Weller brand, which had been a bottom-shelf staple for years, disappeared from shelves and became a hot item on the secondary market. And as Weller became harder to find, the mania shifted again, and again, and again, down the line, to the point that a frenzy built for seemingly every Buffalo Trace brand. Today, it can be very hard to find (depending where you are) almost any product the distillery produces, from Blanton’s and E.H. Taylor to Eagle Rare, Sazerac Rye, and even the flagship Buffalo Trace Bourbon.

Basically the hype started with BTAC and pappy and slowly filtered down through the entire line.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 21, 2020

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

If you don't like it and won't drink it otherwise, just leave it out. You can tweak the flavors as you're preparing it.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Anyone have any good suggestions for a decent whiskey advent calendar? I’ve seen a few but they seem extremely expensive for what they offer. I know there will be a premium but some of the ones I’ve seen seem like pretty bad deals.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

On the flip side, I made an infinity bottle that was so good that I finished all of it and prematurely ended the experiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

field balm posted:

The whole secondary market/shop picks/raffle thing confuses the hell out of me, almost glad I can only buy terrible bourbon at bottle shops here in Australia.

The good thing is that you can avoid all of it and still have access to a wide variety of very good whiskey. People just fall all over themselves chasing limited/hype bottles. But there's great stuff that just sits on shelves year round.