Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I purchased a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel Bourbon on Friday to start my official bourbon collection and am really glad I did. Incredibly complex and smooth - I get lots of cinnamon and burnt sugar on the nose and the taste is very fruity with almost a candy corn quality to it with the cinnamon laced throughout. The body is full, viscous and unbelievably smooth. Really nice, this will probably be one of my go-to bourbons for nights when I just feel like having something on the rocks.

Also, does anyone have any experiences with Booker's? That was the other bottle I was contemplating before going with the Four Roses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Since I've started following this thread and decided to start up a proper whisk(e)y collection, I have been googling a lot of the names that get thrown around in here and almost every single time I am greeted with an online liquor store of some sort selling bottles for what seem to be a good 20% to 30% less than what I can find in any liquor stores here in NYC. Does anyone have experience with online ordering and/or recommendations for sites to purchase from?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

mojo1701a posted:

I know it's been said that if I can't remove the oxygen from a whisky bottle that's half-done, then I should pour it into a smaller bottle. But what kind of bottle is recommended/where can I get good bottles for this?

Is this true?? I had no idea. I always assumed that since all whiskys are aged in barrels that are not air tight for at least a year anyway, being in contact with oxygen was not as much of a concern as long as the container did not allow for excessive evaporation.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

uncle spero posted:

Anyone else tried this stuff?

Distillery in upstate NY that uses all local ingredients. They're not very traditional but this 100% corn baby bourbon is my fav by far. Really sweet and lots of vanilla to it.

What I like about them is although they aim for the premium market they sell half size bottles for $50 rather than fulls for $100 to make it a little easier to talk yourself into buying one.

They also do a manhattan rye that's almost too good to let vermouth touch.

I had this a long while ago and really wasn't too impressed with it. I find it to be overpriced. Maybe I'll give it another shot though.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Tigren posted:

Still doesn't excuse the $100/fifth price tag though.

If the product were good, I would gladly pay those kinds of prices, but it rarely is. Distilling and barrel aging is a very pricey business, so I wouldn't be too surprised if they are more or less forced to charge that much for their product. It's just unfortunate that every time I buy a bottle of something like the baby bourbon, I wish I had just gotten Eagle Rare and saved myself ~$70.00

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

logical fallacy posted:

I've heard mixed reports on the single barrel. A liquor store employee told me the Small Batch was better because then the Master Blender could create a specific flavor profile, whereas the Single Barrel was more left to chance. A liquor rep who had Four Roses in her portfolio told me about the same thing. But then I'll ask someone else and get a completely different story.

Whisky Mag has mixed reviews as well, not sure if this is from the same bottle/sample or not.

I think it comes down to luck in choosing a good bottle of the single barrel, which I've only tried once at a tasting and found it lacking in dimension compared to the bottle of small batch I had at home at the time.

Off topic now, I picked up a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask the other day, and while I'm not a huge fan of really smokey peat (I prefer Island peatiness more than Islay) I must say I love this bottle and I highly recommend it.

I'd agree with your assessment of Four Roses single barrel. I picked up a bottle not too long ago and while it was great for sipping, it did have a bit of a thin astringency that kind of stuck out. I have had the same whiskey other times and gotten something much richer, so it's definitely a bit up to chance.

Also, I think my next bottle is going to have to be the Laphroaig QC. I have heard nothing but stellar reviews.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

powderific posted:

Sorry, I was mostly looking for a new whisky to try that wasn't too sweet and wasn't too expensive. I was listing the bourbons as examples of inexpensive whisky's I enjoyed, rather than the type of whisky I was actually looking for. So I guess that was confusing.

Basically, some kind of inexpensive scotch (which may not really be an option--I'll check out that black bottle stuff) or a less sweet bourbon than the ones I listed (if that exists) or something else I hadn't listed. My only criteria are: less sweet, good enough to drink on its own, and relatively inexpensive.

If there isn't anything out there like that, or, more likely, if I'm not describing what I'm looking for well enough for anyone to offer a good suggestions, I'll probably just try a rye whiskey as I've always been curious about those anyway.

I'm no help on scotch, but give Bulleit a try, or better yet Bulleit Rye.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I was let loose in a Duty Free store on my way back from Mexico yesterday so I decided to pick up a couple of bottles. Seeing as how my knowledge of whiskey/whisky is almost entirely of the whiskey variety, I decided to focus on scotch to expand my horizons a bit.

I picked up one bottle of The Balvenie Doublewood 12 Year because I was drawn by the oak aging -> sherry finishing cask gimmick, and because based on the flavor description on the packaging it seemed like the characteristics of the scotch would be a perfect segue-way for a habitual bourbon drinker

The second bottle I picked up was a Johnnie Walker Black Label, mostly because RIP Hitch :smith:. I also thought it may be nice to purchase one single malt and one blended scotch to loosely compare the two. I've had Gold label before and thought it was fantastic, but it has been a long while and back then I hadn't been really exposed to much in the way of brown spirits.

Looking back, the selection was not great but I probably could have done better. Nevertheless I'm excited to break into scotch and expand my collection of drams. That being said, could anyone point me in the direction of a good resource for the different types of single malt scotches available, and what their characteristic qualities are? Specific bottle recommendations are also welcome.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 27, 2011

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

DoctaFun posted:

Also, I was just thinking of how hard it would be to start a new distillery to make and sell scotch. I mean aren't you looking at 10-12 years before you can even sell product? That's a long time and a lot of operating cost you have to eat before you can make any money.

This is an interesting question. I guess the best way to do this would be to purchase barrels from other distilleries to make a blended malt while you distil your own spirits for future batches?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

MY GIRLFRIEND bought me a bottle of E.H. Taylor Single Barrel Bourbon recently and it is excellent. Really smooth and mellow at first - best with a splash of water, richly sweet and buttery with a distinct smokiness on the way out. It's more of a dark toast style of smoke than a salty, peat style of smoke so I'm guessing it is imparted by the char of the barrel over the course of the extended aging period (almost 12 years).

In a way, this is the mirror image of the Balvenie Doublewood i.e. Bourbon for Scotch drinkers, although I think that the Taylor is much more integrated and enjoyable overall.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Dollar for dollar I have found Eagle Rare to be one of the best values for every day bourbon. I do agree that Bulleit will be more consistent, but I have never had a bottle of Eagle Rare that I didn't think was very good despite noticing differences bottle to bottle.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

beefnchedda posted:

I am trying to pick up a belated mother's day gift and my mom has recently gotten into bourbon. She says she enjoys Woodford and Bulleit, but not Eagle Rare. Unfortunately, she is not able to describe her likes and dislikes with any clarity. Any recommendations on bourbons that I should have try? I was leaning towards Four Roses Single Barrel.

Four Roses Single would be nice, or if you think she would appreciate rye at all, the Woodford Reserve Master's Collection would be cool.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Nevermind I'm an idiot.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 31, 2012

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

magnetic posted:

This is not at all correct, the previous poster explained what "corked" is. It is a fungal infection in the cork. That infection leaches "corky" taste into the wine. Maderized, oxidized, "cooked" wine is a completely different deal.

pork never goes bad posted:

I thought I had covered it adequately, but there we are. Nice to see the word Maderized though.

Quick edit - I suppose I ought to add that TCA Taint can come from other parts of the winery/distillery - often the barrels.

Yea sorry for the mistake, I've edited my original stupidity. Deep in the darkest corners of my whiskey-addled mind I knew all about corking/TCA taint but my wires got crossed.

In whiskey-related news, I recently had a Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14 year and enjoyed it immensely. I didn't think I would, seeing as how I generally hate rum, but rather than overpower the flavor with rum sweetness the casks enhanced the fruity aspects and added burnt sugar notes to the whisky which I enjoyed. I'd definitely drink it again, although I don't think it would be a regular dram for me.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Just wanted to stop in to report that last night at the bar I saw someone order six shots of Glenfiddich 12 year for him and his friends. :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Yea, mostly I was just confused as to why anyone would shoot scotch. Ever.