Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Just wanted to check in to this thread as a new whisky fan and say how much it's helped me so far in making purchasing decisions in my young tasting career. My first bottle was a Jameson (couldn't even honestly tell you the age or anything else about it), that I got for my birthday. I bought a bottle of the Glenlivet 12 for myself after that. The Jameson lasted me 8 months, the Glenlivet barely lasted 1. Tried a Glenmorangie 10 after that one and made a trip to the store today and picked up Highland Park 12 and The Balvenie Signature 12. The good man from the shop also offered me a taste of Lagavulin 16, and while I liked the aromas in it I decided to layer my tastebuds with a few gentler scotches before moving on to more smoky, peaty stuff. Can anyone tell me if that was wise or if I should've just bought the Lagavulin anyway? Or if it even matters, really..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Aramoro posted:

Drink what you like, there's no merit badges when it comes to drinking. Don't buy Lagavulin just because everyone says it's great, buy it if you like it. There are essentially no right or wrong answers. I personally love Old Pulteney, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who loved really peaty whisky.

You shouldn't have to train yourself to like a drink. I mean tastes change over time but don't think about building up to things.

Heh, that's funny you should say that. I was standing there in the shop all ready to buy the Lagavulin but the shop owner recommended against it. (edit) He said that building it up is probably wise. Having not much experience with scotch, I just took his word for it. Oh well, I'll put it on my list for next time since I really enjoyed the taste I got.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
For my birthday I got a bottle of Cardhu and a Talisker 10. I've not seen Cardhu mentioned here, although I saw some Diageo hate earlier on. Personally I like the Cardhu but it's quite smooth. Not very much going on in it, but it's definitely not unpleasant.

The Talisker I am absolutely in love with though. I think I'll be adding something more peaty to my collection soon, as I've been very happy with all the Scotches I've tasted that have peat in them (HP12 and Lagavulin)

Also looking for something smoother that'll be more of a crowd pleaser when friends who aren't that into whisky come around.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Just listed Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, Laphroaig Quarter Cask and Balvenie 12yo Doublewood as options for Christmas presents to my mum. After which my girlfriend goes "I already sent her some whisky recommendations and she already got some". Let's hope they were good ones!

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Here is my December season (birthday + Crimbo) haul all lined up, looking pretty. Sampling the Quinta Ruban as we speak.

Merry Christmas!

Elliptical Dick fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
I bought a bottle of Auchentoshan Heartwood on a whim in an airport duty free shop. Anybody know if I made a terrible mistake or hit a lucky jackpot?