Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscat_gummy
Nov 30, 2008
So my boyfriend suggested that I buy him some good whiskey for Christmas, specifically bourbon. Any recommendations? I'm looking to stay in the $40 - $60 range. I don't usually spend more than $20/750ml, so I'd really like to find something that's at least a good deal.

He said bourbon, but should I look at scotch too? I'm in Texas so I will be buying this at Specs (http://specsonline.com/) and it looks like most bourbons they have aren't over $20 ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscat_gummy
Nov 30, 2008

Killer robot posted:

Scotch is really different from bourbon, so you can't substitute. Check out the "Boutique Bourbon" section on that site, it has more of the more expensive specialty varieties. Note that section also has the rye in it, which isn't the same as bourbon either.

Out of what I know in the price range, Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit is good stuff and it's at a decent price there for what I've seen. It also comes in a sort of "decorative" bottle, which I consider a plus for a gift whiskey.

I asked for clarification and apparently he would actually prefer scotch. Or rye. Or bourbon. Guess I'll just have to take my pick. Apparently he likes scotch on the peatier side of things? I did read through this thread but thought the recommendations for scotch wouldn't apply, so I'll go do that again.
He mentioned liking Talisker and thinking that Glenmorangie was ok but not the best.

muscat_gummy fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 11, 2011

muscat_gummy
Nov 30, 2008
Thanks for the recommendations! :) I went to Specs with the intention of buying the Lagavulin 16, but then the guy there recommended Ardbeg Uigeadail after I told him what I told this thread (likes Talisker etc). Edit: He also thought the Lagavulin would be good, but came running up to me at the register when I was about to buy it to tell me that the Ardbeg might be better.

muscat_gummy fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 13, 2011

muscat_gummy
Nov 30, 2008

powderific posted:

If there isn't anything out there like that, or, more likely, if I'm not describing what I'm looking for well enough for anyone to offer a good suggestions, I'll probably just try a rye whiskey as I've always been curious about those anyway.

For a cheaper rye I like Rittenhouse! But the Bulleit is also good.