Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I was with some friends and friends of friends at a bar, and one of them ordered a glass of Old Potrero straight rye. Anyone ever had this stuff? I thought it was great and have been trying to find a bottle anywhere. Everywhere I've found it online is either out of stock or doesn't offer shipping. I live in Chicago and have checked with the largest local store I know of (Binny's), who says they only get a few bottles a year. MY FIANCE and I just happen to be going to San Francisco (it's made there at Anchor Brewing) in a few months, think I'll be able to find a bottle there?

edit: Yeah, I already made reservations for the brewery tour, I was just wondering if anyone knew where in San Francisco I'd have the best chance of finding some. And then if I do find it, I'm going to have to ship it back to myself somehow.

AWWNAW fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I talked to Cask in SF about Old Potrero, they said they only get a few bottles a year and there's a "rather long waiting list." Well poo poo. I was hoping I'd be able to find a bottle while I'm in SF but it's not looking good.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Deleuzionist posted:

Laphroaigh Quarter Cask
the Quarter Cask boasts a production method of second maturation of the whisky in casks much smaller than regular size ones. What it claims to be is a "recreation of the practices of a bygone era" in order to "create the perfect marriage of peat and oak". What it is is an appalling bottle of smoked piss with notes of fresh sawn board and tar with all the subtlety of a wet fish in the face. The medicinal iodine smell of Laphroaigh is muted under the smoke, smoke, more smoke and wet wood. The nose is closed tight and stays that way, and the taste which itself is not particularly bad but also not a match for even the regular 10yo devolves into a horrifically lingering tarry aftertaste, as if drinking something someone put out a cigarette in. After this experience I'll stick with the Laphroaigh 18 and 10, and will forget trying the other gimmick bottling, Triple Wood.

I just bought a bottle of this yesterday too, because I love Laphroaig and thought this may be even better. Well, it's pretty goddamned intense.

I also got a bottle of this, yum yum:

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I agree, a manhattan should be made with rye and try some Carpano Antica instead of sweet vermouth. It is kinda pricy but totally worth it.

Here's my fancy manhattan recipe, stolen from the Violet Hour in Chicago.

2 parts rye
1 part dry vermouth
1 part Carpano Antica
Angostura bitters
Shake it up
Rinse glass with Laphroaig and peach bitters

I think they called it the blue ridge manhattan.

AWWNAW fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 1, 2012

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

AWWNAW posted:

I just have to say again how loving delicious this Jefferson's 10 year straight rye is. Around $30 a bottle and tastes as good and better than a lot of stuff that costs 2-3x that. Get some if you find it, apparently they didn't make much of it and I bought the last bottle they had at my local store.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I'm in San Francisco and have had no luck finding a bottle of Old Potrero straight rye. Well I take that back, I found one bottle for $125 but I don't think that'd be much cheaper than me paying $10 a glass at bars back home.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

attila posted:

I think when I was home at Christmas in Louisville, Costco had Four Roses Single Barrel for $28. If you know someone with a membership, well worth stocking up. Sadly, my bottle is now half gone from making Mint Juleps yesterday.

Just got a Costco membership today and a bottle of Woodford Reserve for $30.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Recommend me a scotch for someone who likes Laphroaig, I want to start tasting some strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Sorry, I should've been less colloquial and more specific. Similar to Laphroaig in peat and smokiness, but not Laphroaig.

Also Oregon whipper snapper is gross.