Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Kenning posted:

If you can find Rittenhouse Bonded that's a fine whiskey and very affordable. I wish I could find it.

I've seen it recently at liquor stores around NYC, so if you're near the city it may be worth a trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

RHIN0002 posted:

I've never had any type of scotch. That being said, I went to a local package store this evening and looked around until I found a reasonably priced bottle to try out. I settled on a bottle of Ballantine's Finest. It was ~$15 and I figured that it would be a decent introductory blend. I got home an hour or so ago and poured a bit for myself and when I tasted it, I almost spit it back out. I'm not really sure how to even describe the taste, except that it's got sort of a chemical kind of aftertaste, if that makes any sense. Now my question is this: Is this the typical aftertaste for scotches, or is something wrong with this bottle?

Ballantine's is fine, just mix it with club soda and ice. It's not good scotch, but it gets the job done at a reasonable price. Johnny red and Dewar's also work well with ice and soda. I wouldn't recommend drinking them straight but they have a role and they fill it well.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

I think Rittenhouse is back! I saw fully stocked shelves of our bottled in bond favorite at two different liquor stores in NYC. Fingers crossed that it is already or will soon be in everyone's local!

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Tactical Lesbian posted:

Yeah, I thought it would be OK since I'd tried the black, to mild satisfaction. I saw the red, and priced at like 23usd/750ml in my area I figured it wouldn't be like :frogsiren:loving TERRIBLE NOBODY DRINK THIS EVER. :frogsiren:

Like I can't express fully just how terrible this poo poo is. Most of my friends have poo poo tastes ie: Southern Comfort is good to them, Jameson is like really good stuff that they can't afford. We're all 19-20. They found it disgusting. They couldn't drink it.

What are you talking about? Red's fine, if a little smokier than most blends. I mean I wouldn't really recommend drinking it neat, but for scotch and soda's there's nothing wrong with it. Try Famous Grouse for a cheap blended that might be more to your taste.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Oh don't get me wrong, it's plenty harsh! Try the Grouse and see if you like it better, or Black Grouse if you can spend a little more. It's really good, more caramel/malty notes than JW.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

spankmeister posted:

Ok, you're probably not trolling but when you said you actually liked JW Red I got real suspicious because that stuff is just VILE.

No it isn't. Stop saying this like its gospel or something. You don't like Johnnie Red, fine, that doesn't make it a bad or undrinkable whisky.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Tastes vary, of course, but JW Red is not ABC vodka or something, only fit for making you drunk. Try 2 ounces over ice with a splash of club soda, it's very nice. I prefer it to Dewar's, but I like both. If you can find it, try Balantine's, quite good for whisky and soda, and usually cheaper than Dewar's or Johnnie Walker.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Rittenhouse or Sazerac are my go-to inexpensive, really great ryes. For the Bulleit, did you get the bourbon or the rye? If it's the bourbon, it will taste a little different from the ryes recommended above. For a good bourbon for a decent price with a good rye content, check out Wild Turkey 101 (don't mess with 81). Also, Redbreast is incredible stuff, especially the 15 if you can spring for it.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Try Black Grouse for mixing or on the rocks. Highland Park is a great suggestion, but I wouldn't use it for scotch and soda. Neat, or with a little water, definitely. Japanese malts may also be up your alley, although a little pricey. I really like Yamazaki and Nikka Taketsuru (who am I kidding, I like everything, but these were both really good).

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Ryes: Templeton, High West stuff (gimmicky, but awful good), Sazerac, Rittenhouse Bonded. Bulleit also makes a nice rye, but I assume you've tried it.
Bourbon: Wild Turkey 101 (this has a real bite to it).

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

ChickenArise posted:

Bulleit is also on the sweeter side of bourbon without being cloying. It's cheap, too. imo avoid the rye.

I like Bulleit Rye. I think its just LDI juice, but the price is usually right if you can't find Rittenhouse BIB.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Breaky posted:

Looking for some recommendations for things to take a look at next.

For the longest time I could not stomach the taste of whiskey due to some incidents in my youth.

A year or two back a friend gave us a bottle of Tullamore Dew and I actually enjoyed it on the rocks. Since then I've found that I like Evan Williams, Bulleit (not the Rye variety), Macallan 12 and my most favorite so far has been Red Breast 12.

I've tried Laphroaig and a few other Islays and definitely am not a huge fan of the smoke.

Any thoughts on some others to try given what I am already drinking?

The Redbreast is really amazing stuff. I've heart Green Spot is another great Irish, but I've not found any myself. Given your list, I would try a Japanese malt. They don't go in for a lot of smoke, generally. I've really been enjoying Nikka's Miyagkyo 12 year, tastes like apples. You may also like other Speyside malts if you enjoyed the Macallan.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Famous Grouse is real good. Black Grouse is even better.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

prinneh posted:

Thank you so much for this. I've been looking for a whiskey I had while in Ireland and all I remembered was coloured spots, I didn't search the net for this clue, because I mistakenly thought I'd just remembered the pubs pricing system (all the bottles were marked with small circular stickers to denote the price). Now I know! I'm not much of a taster, so I won't say anything beyond the fact that yellow and green spot were the best whiskies I had while in Ireland. Didn't try redbreast tho.

I normally go for either a cheap tullamore, famous grouse etc, but splurge on and thoroughly enjoy Islay peat and smoke. The green and yellow spot opened up the idea of a more subtle and nuanced non-smokey whiskey for me. Not being much of a taster it's been easier for me to enjoy tasting the more distinctive flavours of peat, smoke and sea in the islay whiskys, but green and yellow spot were a bit of a revelation and I've regretted for the better part of a year not writing the name down. So thank you, internet stranger, for helping me remember what I'd forgotten after a night of heavy drinking!

Glad I could help! The funny thing is I've never had the stuff, now I'm wondering if Astor Place would have any . . .

It's funny how prices differ depending on where you are, in the U.S. bourbon and rye tend to be pretty inexpensive compared to good single malts, even in NYC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

The Sazerac is a good choice. I would also try the High West Rendezvous - its a little gimmicky, but really good. Basically a blend of young and 16 year old LDI rye.