Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
About to pour an Ardbeg Uigeadail and looking forward to it and how it compares to my go-to Laphroaig Cask Strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Kenning posted:

Well?

I liked Ardbeg Uigeadail quite a bit and, of course, found it really opened up with a dash of ice cold water. However, I really didn't see it as a significant upgrade to the regular Ardbeg, which I've had a quite a bit of - and I think I still prefer the bombast of the Laphraiog 10 Year Cask Strength. I got the Uigeadail at its current price of around $55 out here in California (I guess they are blowing out old stock.) I've usually seen it at $75.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I grabbed a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch yesterday........it's not going to last long. NOM

Also, RED ALERT at any Total Wine they have shitloads (20+ bottles) of Rittenhouse Rye.......at least in Sacramento/Roseville in NorCal.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 9, 2013

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

kidsafe posted:

I don't really follow OR pricing, but in CA it's a $55 bottle. That's an acceptable price to me. It is well concocted and combines all the points from a single malt flavor map into a melodious chord.

Oregon has state run hard liquor stores and high prices. It must pay for the highways as they are always immaculate and clean, although the speed limits are annoyingly slow.

I am still enjoying the Four Roses Single Barrel I got last month and desperately trying to make my bottle of Lag 16 last a bit longer.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Cheney's favorite snack is probably deep fried cheese so keep that in mind.

I bought me a bottle of Elmer T. Lee yesterday gonna try a bit tonight. $29 at Total Wine.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'm nursing my bottle of Lag 16 and was bummed to see it now costs $74 (as well as Laphroaig 10 CS) at the Total Wine near me (Northern California). I need to just go in there, buy 5 different bottles of stuff I like, and not look at the total cost.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I thought you guys eased off your state liquor laws and taxes a bit? I am always horrified when I see prices during visits to friends in Oregon but the drat roads are so clean and everyone drives so nicely it was almost worth it - as opposed to our bombed out 4x4 tracks overloaded with gun toting gang members/tweakers and overmedicated soccer moms we call freeways here in California.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I've been sipping on some of the Crater Lake Rye and it's drat spicy with some other things going on I can't explain. It's worth a try if you can find it. Only 80 proof though so it's not gonna stretch very far. For some reason, Total Wine in NorCal has all the Bend Distillery products so it's easy for us to get.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Trying some Aberlour 12 ($37 at Total Wine) and I find it very good and for sure a value leader on the mild side of things, definitely has the sherry and fruit tones but little else. Worth a try for a change of pace although I still prefer the smoke and peat monsters.

http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/aberlour/aberlour-12-year-old-double-cask-matured-43-whisky/

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Admin Understudy posted:

I am loving this Rogue Dead Guy Whiskey. It's surprisingly flavorful for being a 1 month. Kind of dominated by the sweet cherry note, tastes almost like a mixed drink. It's scary drinkable, I keep refilling my glass.

Maybe I was just expecting much worse from a 1 month aged whiskey but I'm getting a kick out of this.

try the Bend Distillery Rye too....good stuff.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I remember JD not being so bad as of the early 90's (I'm 45 - old and near death in goon years) but I tried it again a few months ago and it didn't taste anything like what I remember and seemed overly cloy and fake tasting. I think Jim Beam and especially Wild Turkey are leagues better than JD now and ^^ yeah Dickel for Tennessee whiskey.

Still liking Elmer T. Lee and Four Roses Small Batch at around $30 as stand alone go-to's and Buelleit or Rittenhouse for mixing.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
In the summer I'll freeze or ice bath a few small tumblers for whiskey or use the tiniest ice cube. I do the same thing when I sip an anejo tequila like 7 Leguas. Room and booze temps in the 80's just too hot for me.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Costco Small Batch 7 year Bourbon (51%) tastes like something you'd put into an airplane but I'm drinking it as a Manhattan anyways as an experiment.

Need more 4 Roses Small Batch, Elmer T Lee, Rittenhouse, and Black Maple Hill to make up for this.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I got a corked bottle of Eagle Rare at BevMo last week. One sniff of the cork and I was all :barf:

No probs taking it back (of course I tried some first just to "make sure" blah). It does happen.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I haven't seen Elmer T. Lee in over a year (or more) in Norcal when my local Total Wine had about 5 bottles and I snagged 2. Meh.

Four Roses small batch for $28 seems to always still be available though, thank goodness. They have Wathen's too for $29 so I'll try it out as well.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 11, 2015

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Bulleit also tastes like poo poo now. Apparently, they are making their own now instead of buying it from Four Roses. :barf:

I'm just going to stockpile $29 bottles of Four Roses Small Batch and never look for anything cheaper again.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I will give OGD and a shot again (and look for the bonded), I can't remember the last time I've tried it. :corsair:

A friend in the business has recommended Jim Beam Black as an under $20 alternative. I might try that too, but I have my doubts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Yeah, I'm sure most of the Beams will taste like lighter fluid mixed with maple syrup.

I'm gonna stick at the $30 range until 4 Roses also goes to poo poo.

Total Wine sometimes has Rittenhouse so that's a bargain comparatively speaking as well although only really good for manhattans.

I haven't seen any Elmer T. Lee in years though, that stuff was really good for under $40. meh. :colbert: