Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Lowness 72 posted:

Aw poo poo that's scotch isn't it. Don't drink old smugglers.

Does it actually come in a can?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Halloween Jack posted:

A toddy is just whiskey or rum, a bit of lemon juice, and a bit of honey topped off with hot water. You can use tea instead of water, and you can add bitters, but the basic recipe is extremely simple.

I use tea and skip the lemon juice whenever I have a cold. Don't know if it works, but also don't care much.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

spankmeister posted:

I'm partial to Teacher's myself. It has a nice subtle peatiness.

I use Teachers for scotch and soda. If I really want a cocktail like a rob roy or blood and sand, I'll take out the Old Smuggler.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mandalay posted:

Laphroaig on sale?

Is not blended.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mandalay posted:

Better than blended, I'd think? I've never seen someone prefer blended over single malt.

Different purposes my dude.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Get better friends.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

wormil posted:

Eh, it's Jim Beam. Baker's is a great bourbon but it's the only Beam I drink.

No OGD? smh.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I find Ardbeg delightful. I find Laphroaig medicinal. Both are peat bombs but tastes vary.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Neco posted:

That‘s a huge part of the fun for me right now - finding out what I like in whisky.

It does get expensive, though.
I'm one of the Highland Park enthusiasts. On the other hand, I like Jura 10 and many people have recommended Jura Superstition. I got a bottle and feel like I just wasted $50. It's definitely going to be what I offer guests for a while.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Toebone posted:

What's a good, not too pricey entry point for Islay malts?

Bowmore is probably what you'd want there.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

IMO Bowmore is *easily* the worst distillery on Islay.

Ardbeg 10 is one of the best whiskys in the world, and also the basic Ardbeg entry so hard to go wrong with that.

I love Ardbeg 10 but for an entry into Islays I think it might be a little challenging. Bowmore Legend is pure garbage IMO, but I think Bowmore 12 is a decent entry point to see if you like that sort of thing.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SpookyLizard posted:

Hey, Im thinking of getting a decanter or two for my whiskey, one for more long term storage (gonna make an infinity bottle), and one for my OK everyday/entertaining whiskey that i buy by the handle. Is there anything i should avoid in one or something specifically to look for in a decanter? Do i want a stopper with all glass or one with plastic on it? Thanks in advance

Also i got some of that Heaven Hill 7 year BiB and it is fantastically leathery.

Lead crystal is the best look and feel but it also literally has lead in it and within hours the lead content of your drink will exceed EPA limits.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

HiroProtagonist posted:

in general, if you have someone over with the temerity to request you mix single malt with anything, just save yourself the trouble and :sever: immediately

Mixing single malts is more than just a waste of money and good scotch, it also doesn't come out well. Single malts have strong, complex, distinct flavors. That's not what you want as a base for a mixed drink.
I always have one or two blended scotches on hand for mixing purposes.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Neco posted:

Last week I bought a bottle of Johnny Walker Black Label. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised! The taste is in the same ballpark as the HP12 I think, especially due to the light smoke and honey sweetness.

I guess people give it bad reviews because it‘s a blend and sells millions of liters a year? Or I have really bad taste, which is very possible!

Really looking forward to trying some Green Label now.

In general, Johnnie Walker (except Red Label which is like paint thinner) scotch is not bad but there are always better options for the price.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Josh Lyman posted:

I’m bought a bottle of Macallan 15 because it was on sale at the ABC.

This was a mistake. Finish is awful. Total waste of $130.

Macallan is the most overpriced scotch I've ever had.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

deedee megadoodoo posted:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/drink/whiskey/bourbon-whiskey-pricing-rising-secondary-package-stores/

Basically the hype started with BTAC and pappy and slowly filtered down through the entire line.

That's nuts. About five years ago was the last time I had a reasonably priced bottle of Weller, and it seems like a decade since I've seen Blanton's or Sazerac in the wild.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

nwin posted:

Wife bought me something called bourbon bullets for Christmas.

I guess they’re supposed to infuse the bourbon with flavors like cherry or oak. I can’t tell if they’re made from the barrels or just pieces of wood that were cut into a bullet shape.

Any idea of these work? Not sure if it’d be worth putting my a bottle of $40 bourbon or if they’re better on cheaper bottles or just a gimmick?

If gimmicks like that actually worked, distillers wouldn't waste money on expensive aging and blending.
Toss 'em in some Evan Williams for funsies, don't put them near anything subtle or expensive.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Carillon posted:

My dad gave me an old bottle of cutty sark that I keep meaning to open and see how it tastes. I dunno how old it is or why he bought it, but it comes in a whole box and everything. It's in a leaded crystal decanter now that I think about it, not sure on the safety of that.

Spirits are above EPA limits in less than a week in lead crystal. That old... Yikes.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
If I were you, I'd pour a small sip just to satisfy curiosity. I'm not saying that's safe, I'm just saying I make poor safety decisions when I'm curious about something.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Tests show levels >400x EPA limits after 5 years. It's poison.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I am so glad I don't like wheat, my rye preference has saved me so much money.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vox Nihili posted:

Honestly rye may be the single most expensive category these days. It's almost impossible to find decently aged rye at a reasonable price point, particularly if you aren't looking for Canadian stuff.

I meant high rye mashbill bourbon.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I have also had Wild Turkey and shall never have Wild Turkey again.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Professor Shark posted:

Hey, I know this post is from a while ago, but I took your advice and get some Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban! I liked it and decided to go for their Original, which I think is going to become my Go-To Weekday Whisky.

I’m looking to break out of the brand, though, and I think I’m set on a bottle of Auchentoshan 3 Wood. The fruity notes sound like they would be a change from the citrus. That being said, the place close by has Laphroaig 10 Yo available, which honestly doesn’t sound super appealing (medicinal, iodine, and ocean?), but it sounds like it is extremely popular.

Thoughts on which way I should go?

I find Laphroaig to taste like alcoholic liquid smoke and I dislike it. My wife finds Laphroaig to taste like alcoholic liquid smoke and she loves it. I'd get a glass at a bar before you commit to a bottle.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Also have Oban 14 for 60

Nice. That's about $20 less than I can get it for around here.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I just got as a gift a bottle of "A Fistful of Bourbons" which is some blended thing from Grant & Sons (Glenfiddich, Balvenie, Tullamore).

It is... not good. It has the young whiskey burn of your bottom shelf bourbons (Old Crow, Ancient Age) but without the weirdly compelling character of those poo poo brands. It's got the burn of Johnny Red with the lack of any distinguishing characteristics of Johnny Black.

I am totally fine with putting this with Coke or whatever but it's a weird combination of unrefined and boring.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Professor Shark posted:

Is there any common Scotch blend that isn’t smoky that is good? My local guy says Famous Grouse is way better than most people expect..,

I always heard that too but I finally got a bottle and both my wife and I think it's awful. YMMV.

My preferred blended scotch is Teacher's.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mojo1701a posted:

Wayne Gretzky Red Cask Whisky - $34.95 - Gimmicky in the sense that he also owns a vineyard, so I just assume they use those same barrels to make his base-level whisky. Still, not a bad way to smoothen out the edges on what's otherwise a standard whisky. Not nearly as oaky as any base single malt scotch, but there is at least some there. Don't recommend it for that price, though. Feels sacrilegious to say since I'm living in his hometown again, but: you can do better.

Also missed a big opportunity to make it 99 proof.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

sean10mm posted:

I did respect the old degenerate who just kept suggesting Old Grand Dad 114 because it's "got some hair on it."

:confuoot:

I hope you got it, it's aces.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Professor Shark posted:

This stuff definitely has lead in it, right?

Yup.

And years ago I looked up lead leaching after acquiring my own fancy crystal decanter and hard liquor goes to dangerous levels in virtually no time. I might use it for wine if I pour immediately before meal but never for storing it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Data Graham posted:

Same thing that entire aisle of flavored vodka is for, right?

To be bought as a joke for a party and then next year brought to someone else's party and left there

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Eurogoons, I'm going to be working in Poland with a German for the next month and want to bring a bottle of American bourbon as a gift. What bourbons are readily available in Europe? I want to make sure it's something less obtainable, or something that would be cheap here and not there.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

I thought leaded crystal glasses were fine because the amount of time liquor typically spends in them before you consume it is pretty short, and that the threat of leeching was more towards crystal decanters.

If you drink it in less than an hour you'll probably be okay.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kevin DuBrow posted:

This is old news but I just found out about Blackened, which in collaboration with Metallica is blasted in barrel with curated Metallica playlists. And I thought Jefferson's Ocean was gimmicky.

That's funny. I wonder if it's as lovely as Jefferson's Ocean.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

GD_American posted:

That reminds me, is there a good nationally available corn whiskey out there? I bought a bottle of George Dickel #1 corn whiskey when I toured the distillery and that poo poo was num-num. I hoarded the last little bit, and I can't get any more of it because it's not on ABC's master purchase list. I guess it was a small run distillery store only thing.

Mellow Corn is the classic standard.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Carillon posted:

Ours gets cognac in a gaudy dragon bottle:

Oh to be a tacky 26 year old DINK again...

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

sean10mm posted:

Yeah, most cheap straight bourbon from the big guys is at least drinkable. Gimmicks are where the real bottled piss is at.

Oh my yes. I got a “Fistful of Bourbon” bottle and a “Jefferson’s Ocean” bottle as gifts and would have rather drunk Evan Williams black label. They were strictly mixing only.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I can still find Rittenhouse but I haven't seen Sazerac in my area in well over a decade.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ElectricRelaxation posted:

I'm mostly a bourbon drinker with limited scotch experience, so I wanted to give scotch another try but I'm not sure where to start. I do know I'm not a fan of super smoky/peaty scotches (I tried the Nick Offerman Lagavulin once and didn't really like it) and I did a little research this time around so I figure Islay scotches are probably not my thing, but I tried Glenlivet 12 and it was almost too much in the opposite direction and seemed a little thin. I've read a bit about Glenmorangie 10 and Johnny Walker Black being good for beginners, but does anyone have any other suggestions for mostly inexpensive scotches (maybe $40-60 while I'm still learning my preferences) that might be a little more full-bodied than the Glenlivet? Thanks!

In that price range I'd try Jura 10.

Scythe posted:

Black is a good all rounder. Glenmorangie is very light so I wouldn’t recommend it given your other comments.

In that range I really like Bunnhahabhain. It’s an Islay but much milder than Laga.

Highland Park, Oban, Balvenie are all good and frequently recommended.

They are, but I haven't seen any of them in his price range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ElectricRelaxation posted:

I'll have to look at the prices the next time I go out because the stores around here are woefully behind the times in terms of online shopping, but thanks for all the suggestions. I've also seen Auchentoshan 12 mentioned in a couple articles as a good scotch for bourbon drinkers, does anyone have any experience with it?

I've had it. It was okay with a weird finish. It probably would have been better at a higher proof but :shrug: