Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A bottle label with a picture of drinks in glasses is sure saying something. I’m not sure what

E: “Serving suggestion”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's tricky though, right? For high-dollar stuff you can try it at a bar to get the experience, but they're inflating the price to an insane degree. I had a pour of the Clase Azul añejo at a bar for $90, which is like 3x the shelf price per ounce, but I'm not spending $700 for a bottle like a "smart" buyer

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Point. Course in my case it was at the Minetta Tavern in Greenwich Village so they're probably not hurting for hipster buxxx even in these trying times. Good black label burger though, worth the hype

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

alcohol vs virus battle royale

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That’s one lucky cat

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Drink it down to 2/3 full, then just look at it fondly

It's better to show it to guests at 2/3 than 1/3, which says "I'm scared of killing it and then not having any"

2/3 means you can give them some

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I brought a bottle of shochu to a BYOB whiskey party once just to be a poo poo. Can't remember the brand, it was whatever the local liquor store had (for like $79). It was empty when I left though

(I left without being driven out with pitchforks is what I mean to imply)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Been watching a lot of movies lately and I keep noticing J&B whiskey everywhere. I went googling for "why is whiskey in movies always J&B" and got this, I guess it's a thing apparently https://punchdrink.com/articles/j-b-scotch-whisky-bottle-movies/

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I feel like major aspects of the whiskey experience are lost on me somehow. I've spent a lot of the last few years trying as many things in the liquor/cocktail world as I can get my hands on, such that now I can immediately call to mind what just about anything tastes like — gin, tequila of varying ages, rum, brandy, many different liqueurs. But for some reason I can't detect any obvious, high-level difference between bourbon and rye, or between either of them and scotch.

I can definitely taste the difference between different scotches (e.g. a peaty one vs a smoky one vs a peppery one etc), or between one label and the next or one age and the next, and the same goes for many different bourbons or ryes; but to me those differences, i.e. between brands, are way more pronounced than the difference between "scotch" as a class and "bourbon" or "rye" as a class. It's weird.

The biggest major distinction across the board, to me, is what I imagine people describe as "hot" — like it's literally painful to drink it too fast, the fumes fill my sinuses, just a tiny sip burns the tongue almost. (The alcohol content doesn't seem to correspond to this very closely, even; across a range of whiskies that are all like 46%, they can vary wildly in their "hotness".) I find that scotch is a lot more likely to be "hot" in that way than bourbon or rye is. But flavor-wise I don't get much characteristic family profile, and in my mind I still can't just snap my fingers and think "mm-hmm yes, that's what 'scotch' tastes like, and that's how 'bourbon' is different from it". Is that a me problem?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This Quarter Horse bourbon is pretty tasty but wtf is it with this stopper. All covered with sticky wax that doesn't peel off and it fits so tight I've almost smashed the bottle on its side a couple of times trying to cram it back in

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You have to drink it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I assumed it meant “there’s a certain point on every election night when it looks like things might all be going to hell”

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How is Barrel Hitch bourbon(actually doesn't even claim to be bourbon or rye, just "American whiskey")? I found an unopened bottle while cleaning out the shop.

It looks pretty bad

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Park Ave Liquor is the place to start, I'd say.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What, you mean I bought all these puffy-sleeved tunics for nothing??

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What makes whiskey "hot" if it's not alcohol content anyway?

I have a gin that is so heady it's almost impossible to drink, but it's no more alcoholic than any other gin. I don't get it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

spankmeister posted:

It mostly depends on how hot they run the stills, and the cuts they make when distilling.

Barrel aging can also add spicy flavors and aromas.

That's super interesting, thanks!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They're spiking scotch with butyric acid now?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm in the Nashville airport. Any of these particularly worth getting?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean it’s literally a tourist trap shop exploiting a captive audience so no surprise. Just making sure I’m not missing some hidden gem.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Same thing that entire aisle of flavored vodka is for, right?

To be bought as a joke for a party and then sit taking up space in your cabinet for the next six years

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm finding their Sangue Morlacco to be a pretty poor substitute for Cherry Heering. Is that just me?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

DoctaFun posted:

Yeah, if I use more than like 1/4 oz of luxardo its super overpowering to me. But my palette just may not jive with luxardo. definitely one of the liqueurs with the largest gap between what I expected it to taste like and what it actually tasted like.

I tried Maraska and find it’s much nicer than Luxardo. Ymmv of course, but it seems way less cloying and more drinkable on its own.

(Assuming you’re talking about maraschino)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Rolling a full barrel home across the desert Walter White style, like an inebriated dung beetle

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I’m sure crystal glasses all have planar shear faces instead of being amorphous fluid blobs

Smash one and see how cool it looks

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

sean10mm posted:

I like Diplomatico Riserva Exclusiva.

I need to grab a fresh bottle of this, drat

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I was in a Total Wine the other day and saw that there's small-batch/artisanal whiskey being made in places I wouldn't normally have looked for it, like Wales and India and Mexico. Are any of those worth a try?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The thing is after a long time trying I'm still very unclear on what makes a whiskey "good" or "bad". I can tell them apart with practice, but as far as making a quality judgment I don't know what the criteria should be.

Like I can hang with scotch-nerd friends and talk knowledgeably about which ones are the best and so on, but I'm constantly afraid of putting my foot in my mouth by declaring support for the wrong thing which I then have to backpedal on by saying "oh haha well it's just my taste I guess"

And I wouldn't want to have a "bad" thing on my shelf or innocently offer it to a horrified guest

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 20, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, I mean, those all sound like sensible rules but there's a ton of complicating factors everywhere.

If older is better, why do some places specifically sell a "baby bourbon" (like Hudson) whose whole selling point is that it's barely aged at all and it's $55?

Darker is better, sure, but then you find out that half the distilleries (of rum especially) use food coloring.

Sweeter/spicier — I wish I could say. I've tried many times to distinguish between a bourbon and a rye in side-by-side shot glasses and I can barely tell a difference, but apparently they're so wildly different to other people that swapping them in a cocktail turns a masterpiece into a travesty or vice versa. I don't know if it's a me problem or if everyone's just playing up tiny distinctions because it's fun.

Maybe it's that I have a hard time distinguishing between "like" and "dislike"? I think everything from scotch to aquavit to Malört is individually interesting and they all have their own unique flavors and characters, but I don't think I "like" or "dislike" any one over another, except for real wild outliers like the most-of-a-liter of stale dry vermouth that I drank rather than let it go to waste. Now that I type that out it's sounding more and more like I'm just a freak

e: I promise I'm not just doing this lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS-07dh9-NA

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 20, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, one of the biggest obvious differentiating factors to me is "hotness". Like some gins I've had and most scotches are just super powerful on the tongue and I can barely sip them. But I try not to let that color my impression of the flavor notes? It's difficult though.

I get the impression "hotness" is a function of whether the liquor is taken from the heads of the distillation primarily? Something like that?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Almost everything I've ever tried is like 42-45% ABV though, and the hotness seems to have no bearing on the number even within that narrow range.

And 55%+ stuff like Chartreuse doesn't taste hot at all to me, not in the same way.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

zmcnulty posted:

As someone who sometimes gets paid to drink whisky and rate it. There are objectively bad whiskies. We try and put personal preferences aside and instead rate based on the structure, complexity, how it's impacted by a few drops of water, and more.
That's why any spirits competition worth caring about will have multiple judges rate the same products blindly. Then throw away highest and lowest scores from the judge pool etc.
From a consumer perspective though. Yeah drink whatever you want and can afford.

I want to be able to sip something and go "oh yeah, that's a W.B. Saffell" or "That's Four Roses, I'd recognize it anywhere"

But I sort of get the impression that coming at it from that angle may be a fool's errand

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I took some time today to put the Willett Pot Still Reserve head to head with Four Roses, and the Willett is definitely a lot more molasses-y/brown-sugary. Whereas 4R is sharper, maybe more herbal, puts me less in mind of Christmas cookies and more of cigars in a dim bar. Dunno if I'd ever be able to identify either one in isolation, but at least I'm getting the distinctiveness.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean, I don't want to dedicate my life to it or anything. I was just getting the impression that everybody in threads like this is able to do it just sort of casually. Or like in movies where people are like "it has to be a Chateau Meteyer 1959 or the whole meal is ruined, I refuse to let aught else pass my lips"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Should point out that it's not coffee, it's Coffey, as in the type of still used (column, as opposed to pot still).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

As it happens, just had a glass of Penderyn last night, it was good :v:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Muir posted:

I'm in Northern California, so not exactly the heart of whiskey country, but I've been seeing more and more of Lost Republic (founded 2013) and Redwood Empire (founded 2015) and enjoying both quite a lot. I'd like to dive deeper into their lineups, they have four and eight different whiskeys, respectively. And of course St. George always has interesting stuff, but they're not new (1982) and can be a bit pricey.

Thanks for lettting me know about these. I'm from the Ukiah area and between these and Charbay I'm starting to think there's plenty of good gift ideas for my trips home (both giving and getting lol).

I mean wine and all but sometimes you gotta branch out

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ChatGPT, give me 100 brand names for bourbon

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Bought some Redwood Empire Pipe Dream Cask Strength. Anyone had it yet? I’ve liked their other stuff so I have high hopes.

Edit: it’s good. Very “spicy” and aromatic.

Weird coincidence, I just got some Pipe Dream (normal 45% strength) a few days ago too, mostly just because of the brand because it's ostensibly from where I grew up. I like it, it's got a lot of earthy and nutty tones. I was actually ready to assume it was just MGP again because it says "bottled in California, Indiana, Tennessee, and Kentucky" which I assume means "bottled in Indiana" but who knows, maybe it's a hidden gem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Got a bottle of High West Double Rye and drat it is really good. I think it was only $36 and tasted better than some 3-figure whiskeys I’ve tasted.

I've pretty much settled on it as my default rye.