Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

kidsafe posted:

With Redbreast 12yr, I found that leaving a half full bottle for several months to a year caused the whiskey to deteriorate badly. Drink it fast.

Is that even possible? I've kept homemade grenadine palatable for 6 months just by putting a shot of vodka in it. What do they put in that poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What are some favorite $25-$45 bourbons around here? Anyone tried any of the variants of Four Roses or Jefferson's?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Well, I snagged Four Roses Small Batch and had a bit of it last night. It's my first foray into bourbon so I can't offer much except to say I enjoyed it quite a bit. I had it on the rocks first and then had another glass with some Coke. Hopefully it's not sacrilege to use it in a mixed drink, but I'll definitely be doing so again even if it is. Yum!

I noticed the recommendations are generally for the Single Barrel. Are the variants truly different products (for example, the four price points of Greek spirit Metaxa range in flavor from vanilla to fruit to leather), or just bumps in quality?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I can see the merit in having a cheaper bottle for spirit + Coke, but what's the consensus on cocktails? Is it worth it to use a quality bottle in a Sazerac or a Buck (assuming other quality ingredients), or is it best to let the good stuff be enjoyed on its own?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I was at the store today choosing between a bottle of Black Maple Hill or Rock Hill Farms. One was $50, one was $52, I forget which. I opted for the BMH and it tastes pretty great. Anybody have strong feelings of one over the other?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

NightConqueror posted:

Good luck. The Yamazaki 12 isn't very expensive, but is often elusive. I bought it as a gift for my dad, who loved it, but now I can't seem to find it anymore.

That stuff is rare? There are about a dozen bottles of it at all three liquor stores by my house.

Man, we really need a goon liquor exchange. And for that to be legal.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I received a beautiful glass "spirit decanter" for my birthday. What do I need to know about decanting whiskey? Does it do anything besides look pretty cool? Does it shorten its shelf life?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Stultus Maximus posted:

If it's lead crystal, which most I've seen are, it will poison your whiskey to twice EPA lead levels in two days.

It says "Lead-Free" on a little sticker on it, so it looks like we're poison-free.

Kenny Logins posted:

From what I gather just looks cool and conceals the fact that you bought pretty cheap whiskey. It can shorten shelf life if it causes you to expose the whiskey to light/heat it otherwise wouldn't have been exposed to. I'd suggest using it for your highest turnover stuff if you drink often, or otherwise saving it for social occasions where others will join you in drinking it.

^^^^ there's also that issue. Make sure it's actual glass or don't bother. I wouldn't know how to test it though.

That sounds like a good idea. Thanks! I also had no idea that whiskey was light-sensitive.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I got a bottle of Stagg Jr for Christmas. Has anyone tried it?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I drank so many ryes last night. Let me tell you of the ryes!

1. Bulleit (This feels like it was designed for cocktails - 95% rye mash is a little too intense for me to drink neat)
2. Sazerac (Quite smooth but basically tastes like bourbon - I was not surprised this was a 51%-So-Technically-a-Rye)
3. Rittenhouse (Must get over my anti-screwcap bias, but this was quite good)
4. High West Double (blend of 16 and TWO YEAR old ryes, interesting... and from Utah?!)
5. EH Taylor (The best thing ever - Felt like I was coating my tongue in rye-syrup that evaporated into my throat)

More rye, please. What's your favorite rye cocktail? I'd like to be rid of the Bulleit as soon as possible and I'll be needing some other ingredients to get it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I do indeed have Peychaud's and absinthe. Sazeracs it is. How do you make your sazerac? The recipes seem to have a lot of... flourish?