Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

kidsafe posted:

Bulleit Bourbon is quite good. It's made at Four Roses from their yeast/grain/recipe, and I'm a big fan of Four Roses' lineup as well. Bulleit Rye, like just about every other 95%+ rye product is made by LDI and I'm sure it's okay too.

Strangely, I vastly prefer Builleit Bourbon to Four Roses Small Batch. The Bulleit Rye is also very good, but not so good that I'll be buying it again before trying some more high-rye products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

deathfalls posted:

Is WhistlePig Rye supposed to be pretty pricey?
I ran across a bottle of it around here but it's $99.
Seems kinda steep for a rye considering most of them I've bought in the past were under $50

I don't know the usual retail, but over $50 is almost guaranteed. $100 is probably too high, though. I had a little of it last night and it's some really nice rye with a lot of nice complexity. The Thomas Handy I had (friend just got a bunch of spirits as a gift), on the other hand, was an incredible punch in the face of RYE and RYE BREAD.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I just polished off a bottle and I didn't love it. In that general price range I prefer Dickle No. 12 sipping whisky. The Eagle Rare was fine for mixing, but I got too much alcohol and unbalanced wood even with dilution. I've still got a few more that I want to try, because having something ~$25 seems alike a good idea.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

kidsafe posted:

If you want to try a Canadian whisky that is 100% rye, then look at Alberta Premium.

Or, in a roundabout way, get Whistlepig. It's excellent, 100% rye, and born in Canada (bottled in Vermont).

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

NightConqueror posted:

I don't know what's commonly available in the UK but some reasonably priced safe bets are:

Rittenhouse Rye 100 proof
Old Overholt
Bulliet Rye
Jefferson's 10 Year Old Rye (this one is the baby brother of the absolutely phenomenal Whistlepig Rye)

I like rye. A lot.

Seconding this, and reiterating that the Thomas H Handy is amazing.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

kidsafe posted:

There's Redemption High Rye Bourbon and then there's Redemption Rye. The latter is quite good for something barely 2-years-old. My only issue is all the 95% rye whiskeys are based on the same LDI recipe. Any differentiation between Templeton, Bulleit, Redemption, Willett, etc. is pretty much in the wood and length of maturation.

Speaking of Rye, LDI, etc., I frequently pull this article up: http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012/10/guide-to-rye-whiskey-cocktail-101-basics-what-is-rye-how-is-it-made-brands.html

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Chuck Biscuits posted:

I bought a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask yesterday and am really enjoying it. I'm not sure if I like it more than the standard 10 year expression though. The extra oak flavor seems to temper some of the briny smoke that makes the 10 year so awesome. So far my Islay collection consists of Ardbeg 10, Lagavulin 16, Laphroaig 10 and Quarter Cask. Any other suggestions for a <$100 bottle to try next?

Port Charlotte Heavily Peated, Ardbeg Uigeadail (or Galileo), Compass Box Flaming Heart

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
That is really just the most classically "rye" tasting spirit I've ever had. I mean Rye like bread, not like 'oh it's kinda spicy.' It's amazing.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I just had some Peat Monster, and that is a really nice and smooth peaty scotch. There's something almost caramely sweet in there that I'm liking.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
A good friend's mom has been dumping a whole bunch of stuff on him. I finally made him take pics. It's completely ridiculous.

Bourbons:

Scotches:

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Troll Bridgington posted:

How is the peat monster? I've been eyeing that bottle for a couple months.

I agree with NightConqueror. It's a fine whisky, nice and rich, but it's not really a Monster of Peat. I didn't prefer it to the Flaming Heart next to it (tasted different nights), which was very good.

The sad flip-side to all of those bottles is that the influx all began when his mom started chemo up again and was pretty zonked on pain meds buying gifts for her family (although they've continued to arrive and she's terrible about medicating her pain now). gently caress cancer.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I thought I'd posted this already - for goons near Montgomery Cty., MD, Lagavulin 16 is ~$65 regularly. http://www2.montgomerycountymd.gov/dlcsearch/

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I'm going to chime in as liking the Ardbog. I didn't get a big tar flavor (unfortunately), but it had a lot of smoke anyhow (though much much less than Alligator). I think I prefer Uigedail, but the Ardbog was still a good whisky. If anything it suffered from having a little less complexity and a bit more sweetness than I might want. For the price, not super awesome, but on taste alone it's a nice spirit.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
On a whim I picked up some Smooth Ambler Old Scout bourbon (apparently a 6yo LDI w/ 36% rye bill). It was pretty pleasantly surprising and has a ton of rye character. It was a bit hot for it's proof, but otherwise really nice.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
IMO McLelland's is probably one of the worst Islays. The guy at the ABC store I went to said not to buy it, and he wasn't entirely wrong. It's drinkable for me, but I'd rather grab Ardbeg or something else in the $40-50 range.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

rxcowboy posted:

How much is it in VA? I'm in MD and just saw a bottle for either 22 or 23.

Also I know this is the whiskey thread but holy poo poo if you like tequila you should be in prime territory out there.

As a NoVA resident, I know to buy almost all of my alcohol in MD when I have the opportunity. Lots of stuff is about as cheap as you can find it in the US.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Capt. Awesome posted:

I still love Bulleit Rye, and prefer it straight (not that I really drink it straight that much).. but Rittenhouse may just have it beat.

As a big fan of their Bourbon, the rye just doesn't do it for me. It's nice and drinkable and good, but at the price point I can get stuff (even things designated as bourbon) that has more of the 'rye' flavor I like. I'm glad to see you mention fruitiness though - I always see spicy as a flavor for rye, and while I definitely get that, I get fruitiness from many of them too. I find that to be more similar to the rye flavor I get from a rye IPA or something.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I don't care for the Four Roses stuff either, but people love it so I'll still recommend it to people looking for bourbon (along with things I actually do like). Something about whatever flavors I got from it didn't work, and the alcohol came through more than I'd want.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Jo3sh posted:

Are there a pair of whiskies someone could recommend that would really help me pick out the rye character? I don't have a great palate, so I'd kind of like to have two things I could taste as A/B - very similar except for the rye quality.

Maybe Willet's Family Reserve Rye and Bulleit Rye? I think both have fair availability and a 95% rye mash bill. The Willet hopefully tastes much more like you imagine 'rye' to taste, whereas to me the Bulleit Rye is just sort of harsh with no particularly balanced spice or fruit character (and I love their regular Bourbon). Also, I think that both of them are currently sourced from LDI.

In Scotch news, I had Laphroaig Cairdeas last night and holy poo poo wow. Even someone who doesn't like Scotch wanted a second pour. There's a nice sweetness and spicy fruity flavor underneath the peat.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Lowness 72 posted:

Picked up a bottle of Angels Envy (port aged version) and the last bottle the store had of Old Forester Birthday. I'm pretty excited. Happy Thanksgiving to me.

Great choices imo. Angel's Envy really satisfies me for a sweeter bourbon, and Forrester Birthday is just so so good.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Willet Family Reserve, EH Taylor, Whistlepig - all delicious

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Troll Bridgington posted:

How is the Uigedail? I like your collection by the way.

It's amazing. If I go into MD to buy liquor, it's cheap enough to be worth the extra $ over the 10yr, which I also love.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I tend to find http://sourmashmanifesto.com/ to have good notes on the styles they cover.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Last night I tried some Laphroaig QA and PX as well as some Parker's Heritage bourbon. The bourbon had a good bit going on, but it was nothing intense or extreme, just very nice. The PX was toward the end of the night, but I'm not sure it was as good as I was hoping from the description and the sound of it. The QA, on the other hand, was amazing. It was some perfect blending of vanilla and smoke like an amped-up Balvenie. I would drink that all day if I could.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

langurmonkey posted:

You inspired me to take a punt on the bottle. I cracked it open tonight and was pleasantly surprised. As I said, I am no expert on bourbon, so my tasting is unsophisticated. The initial nose was very subtle, with a very slight sweet smell. The taste was very smooth, a lot sweeter tasting than most of the whisky I go for. The after taste was almost like golden syrup. There was no smoke or peat, but a slight buttery taste.

Anyway, I am pretty happy with my purchase and any UK whisky drinkers should get down to their nearest Aldi.

I've seen that a lot here in Northern VA and MD. It's some generic bottling that Castle put out after buying the parent of Jefferson's, I think. I like it for the price, but there's nothing distinct really going on.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

langurmonkey posted:

As an intro to bourbon it worked really well - gone already! Now I am looking for some new ones to try. I hear that Makers Mark is pretty good for a mass market brand, any other suggestions?

Along those lines/prices (imo generally sweeter bourbons that aren't cloying), I'd recommend trying Bulleit (NOT the rye) and maybe Eagle Rare, both of which are readily available. Smooth Ambler Old Scout also seems to get around and it has a really noticeable rye character that I like. Maker's is a fine enough whisky (arguably, I suppose), but it's a bit too sweet for me and doesn't really have the flavors I tend to seek out.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Are there any tax benefits to producing in a dry county/area?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Shugojin posted:

I'm loving Bulleit. Recommend me some other whiskeys with heavier rye content. Rye whiskey or just stuff like Bulleit bourbon that has a relatively high rye content.

Smooth Ambler Old Scout. IMO the flavors border on 'good rye' but it's a bourbon.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Devoz posted:

Any recommendations for good bottles of scotch to pick up at duty free stores in US airports? A couple coworkers offered to grab me bottles.

Do you like peat? A friend got http://www.laphroaig.com/whiskies/qa-cask.aspx and I haven't stopped wanting more after my first sip. The QA oak has a strong vanilla character and it balances out with the base scotch like woah.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

spankmeister posted:

I'm pretty nonplussed about those extreme peat whiskies. I've tried an Octomore (not sure which one, but a recent one) recently and while the peat explosion is interesting it's a bit of a gimmick imho.

It's a blast of peat and then nothing.

Octomore is pretty much the definition of peat gimmick (I still enjoy it greatly). Stuff like the Laphroaig QA or the Balvenie Peated Cask is what calls to me in my sleep, though.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Kudosx posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for other whiskeys to look out for if I really enjoyed Angel's Envy?

Bulleit is also on the sweeter side of bourbon without being cloying. It's cheap, too. imo avoid the rye.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I picked up some Speyburn 10 based on an earlier post in the thread. Most single malts that I've liked start at about $45 in VA, and for $27 I'd buy Speyburn again. It's got a massive/harsh booze component (that seems to improve as the bottle empties), but otherwise there's a nice bit of complexity underneath with a fair amount of peat and spice.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I got some Isle of Jura Prophecy today. It has a lot going on, and I'm undecided if I like it or not.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Any of the ones that other posters have mentioned are excellent choices, but my pick would be Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. It's port-finished, and therefore sweet and fruity in all the right ways.

I've been drinking this all week, and I agree.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Cloks posted:

I started a real job and I'd like to get myself a nice bottle of scotch to celebrate.

What's something in the 50-150 price range that has lighter fruity taste? I've had Glenlivet 15 and greatly enjoyed that.
My current whiskey stash consists of Evan Williams (replenished when empty), Rittenhouse Rye (same), GlenGrant 10 (good for the price but severely lacking in pronounced flavor) and Port Charlotte Peat Project (much too strong for my taste).

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban might even be <$50 (I got my current bottle for maybe $45). Scroll up for recommendations.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I liked the Bulleit 10 a lot, but not at the price increase over the regular Bulleit (which I love at its price).

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

door Door door posted:

Hmm, you're right. They were comparing their aging practices to those of scotch, but I thought of american single malts that aren't aged in new oak. I guess lost spirits is technically violating those regulations since they age some of their single malts in ex-wine casks. http://www.lostspirits.net/#!leviathan-ii/cjg9 The more you know.

Oh hey Leviathan. I had one of their "American Single Malt" peated whiskys and it had that characteristic white whisky/corn/unaged whisky flavor. It wasn't the easiest pour to finish.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I guess if no one else is going to repost this, I will

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

spoon0042 posted:

I've seen that before, but does that mean that Old Overholt is just slightly older Jim Beam or is there some other difference?

(And Knob Creek older still I guess.)

I believe that the little forking branches indicate different blends from the same distillery, so that + a little older. IMO the worst part about the distillery consolidation is similar to whats going on with Scotch. As the big players buy more and more, it limits the options for the smaller blenders and has a negative effect on off-the-shelf selection diversity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Kenny Logins posted:

Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

This is easily a favorite of mine in the price range.

Apparently I should be able to try the 06.1 Octomore within the next few weeks.