Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Knob Creek 9 year small batch is decently good but don't bother with the single barrel reserve. This has been said in the thread before but I put it to the test last month, it really doesn't taste as good as the 9 year and is just 20 proof stronger, to no good end.

For other bourbon suggestions, I've been enjoying Bulleit recently, myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

NightConqueror posted:

Try Wild Turkey 101 or Old Grand Dad 100. Both are spicy and excellent bourbons at any price level (and both are cheap, too).
Anyone have any takes on Wild Turkey 80? It's all our liquor stores carry.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Kenning posted:

Maker's Mark has no rye (and is bland as gently caress, imo), and Wild Turkey 101 or Old Granddad BiB are pretty rye-heavy.
Funny as I just did this exact taste test the other day after bringing back some WT 101 and OG BiB (on this thread's recommendation) from my Columbus Day/Canadian Thanksgiving trip to New England.

Yeah, I'm never buying Maker's Mark ever again.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

wormil posted:

I was reading a discussion about making a whisk(e)y decanter and started wondering, what type of drinkers are most likely to decant their alcohol? Would it be someone who drinks the same brand all the time and wants a nicer looking container or someone who is more of a connoisseur? The former is probably brand loyal and doesn't seem likely to decant while the latter probably has a large variety and decanting wouldn't be practical. So maybe a person who only drinks socially and doesn't want a whiskey bottle out in the open? So who decants and why?
My guess is that the modern decanter-user only uses one when a) there is company over, b) the whiskey brand/bottle isn't socially impressive, c) they have a suitable heirloom or antique decanter. I was under the impression that whiskey should be stored in a cool, dark place and a decanter is neither of those things. I guess you might affect to use one if you drink so much whiskey so regularly that you have a high turnover and the constant exposure to light/heat is a non-issue.

I'm guessing the popularity of Mad Men would have increased the use of decanters as an affectation but really I always figured the "60's office" use of them was because they were using whiskies that wouldn't impress clients, and because clients would just expect decanters to be used. That has changed, along with the expectation of seeing open alcohol and being offered a drink when you enter an office. Also guessing there was a reasonably high turnover in those settings.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Anyone have any take on Crown Royal Black? Better than the basic or disgusting gimmick? It's going on sale soon in my area and I was wondering if I should bother trying it. It's only been around since 2010 so I've had a hard time finding feedback on it.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I received a beautiful glass "spirit decanter" for my birthday. What do I need to know about decanting whiskey? Does it do anything besides look pretty cool? Does it shorten its shelf life?
From what I gather just looks cool and conceals the fact that you bought pretty cheap whiskey. It can shorten shelf life if it causes you to expose the whiskey to light/heat it otherwise wouldn't have been exposed to. I'd suggest using it for your highest turnover stuff if you drink often, or otherwise saving it for social occasions where others will join you in drinking it.

^^^^ there's also that issue. Make sure it's actual glass or don't bother. I wouldn't know how to test it though.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That sounds like a good idea. Thanks! I also had no idea that whiskey was light-sensitive.
It is, somewhat. I mention it because it seems more likely that a decanter would be left out where a sunbeam could hit and roast it at a certain time of day, for days on end, with a decanter's glass possibly having a magnifying glass effect.

Whiskey is actually pretty hardy, handles low temperatures exceptionally well (think of where it originates) and it usually comes in clear glass so it can't be that delicate. It's just that decanters are not great long-term containers for it, and it's not like wine where decanting objectively adds anything to the taste experience.

edit: Also, make sure the topper fits properly to make a seal, because if not you could get some evaporation.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 10, 2013

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

The only way that comes to mind that is remotely practicable would be to also have a glass (whiskey) bottle of approximately the same size/build and hit it with a spoon. Lead crystal rings, glass clunks. If it sounds like your control bottle it's probably glass. I've also heard that shining light through lead crystal makes a prismatic effect where glass doesn't, again requiring a control bottle.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

rxcowboy posted:

Someone please educate me about Canadian whiskey. I see it constantly poo poo on, but for how much it sells and how many varieties there are, there has to be something good here. What would be a good bottle to wow me about Canada?

wormil posted:

My take and I wouldn't argue about it but Canadian whiskey appeals to people who prefer mellow and mild flavors whereas others want more complexity. But my experience with Canadian is limited to the common brands. Maybe they have complex and bolder whiskeys that I don't know about. So it isn't that they are bad just uninteresting.
It basically comes down to the above. By way of anecdote, I took a chance on a (sale) bottle of Phillips Union the other day (a supposed Canadian whiskey/Kentucky bourbon blend) and then checked out the reviews online. Most completely trashed it, and one said it was so mellow and mild that it might as well be called "ladies' whiskey". Having tried it myself I can't say I disagree though I wouldn't use that term. It's not awful but there's really nothing going for it.

The same could be said for a lot of Canadian whiskies generally. They're easy to get into but easy to outgrow. They mix fine in a pinch. But they're not really worth investing into the mid-to-high tiers. I have a bottle of Collingwood that I picked up on a lark because of a sale, an interesting bottle and a few people telling me it was decent for the price, so maybe give that a shot instead of going down the well-trodden Crown Royal path. Still haven't tasted it though, so maybe give it a shot in-store if possible first.

DerekSmartymans posted:

My hatred of Canadian whisky is not b/c it's Canadian, either: I'm from Tennessee and think that Jack Daniels Honey is vile. You can't even drown it in Coke like you can Crown Royal for a palatable drink.
I tried that stuff the other day and vile is the perfect word for it. It's really, really bad and nothing can save it.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

As a follow up to my Collingwood rec, I tried it again over the weekend and it's more mapley than I would have thought. Not syrupy, but there's definitely maple there. As a result, I'd have to say just not to bother with it and try something else in the same price range like Pike Creek Double Barreled, which wasn't coming to mind when I last posted.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Visited a liquor store I usually don't have the opportunity to frequent and they have a bunch of bourbons we usually don't get as a result of there having been a whiskey festival in the area recently. Overwhelmed with choice I took down some names to help draft up a shopping list.

So far based on searching this thread I've figured that my "should get" list would be the following: Jack Daniels Single Barrel, Evan Williams Single Barrel, Basil Hayden's (8 year), Baker's (7 year). I've never tried any of them.

I'm also considering Booker's True Barrel but not sure if it's the Booker's that people have been talking about or a variant. Can anyone clarify?

These five bottles together would run me just under $300, trying to figure out a way to narrow it down.

Edit: Looks like it's "the" Booker's. Good thing I took pictures to get the names (and prices). Still, maybe could I get some input on how to narrow down to 3 bottles? I have a feeling the single barrels will be the recommended drops.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 9, 2014

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

rufius posted:

Personally, I would drop the Jack Daniels Single Barrel unless you really like Jack. I don't think it's worth the cost.

Evan Williams Single Barrel and Basil Hayden's should be run between $28 and $40, with Basil Hayden being the more expensive of the two. Baker's should also run at about $35-$40. Booker's is pricier, usually $60-$70 if memory serves correctly. If any of these bottles are above the prices quoted, think twice before buying as they're fairly common expressions of bourbon.

Assuming all of these are fairly priced, here's a little break down of my thoughts on each bourbon:
  • Evan Williams Single Barrel - My favorite of the bunch and probably the cheapest. It's a vintage release, meaning each new release is a little different from the previous one. My current favorite is the 2009 release but you'd be hard pressed to find any. Definitely buy.
  • Basil Hayden's - This, along with Baker's & Booker's are all "premium" expressions from Jim Beam. The other one that's missing from the group is Knob Creek. Basil Hayden's is the sweetest of the bunch and kind of boring. However, if you're a fan of Maker's, I think this is a nice comparison of a similar whiskey. Wouldn't buy it.
  • Baker's - This is probably my favorite of the Beam "premium" expressions. It's got some spicier notes to it and is very drinkable. I'd buy it.
  • Booker's - This will be the stiffest of the Beam products aforementioned. It comes in at a higher proof (possibly cask strength?) and has a lot of barrel in the flavor to it. It's "hot", as in tannins, and I find I nearly always need to water it down. It's an enjoyable whiskey but it's not one I keep at home. I'd buy it if you haven't had it.
  • Jack Daniels Single Barrel - This, to me, is just a smoother Jack Daniels. Nothing special, no real departure from the flavor profile. Overall, as I mentioned before, not worth the price unless you're just an absolute Jack nut and a buddy of mine is (I don't get it). Don't buy it.

Hopefully that helps. In summary, buy the EV Single Barrel, Baker's, and Booker's but do price check against what I quoted you. The prices I've quoted should be on the higher end so if this place charges more than that, be sure you think it's worth it in terms of effort to finding cheaper prices.

EDIT: Word choice.

Wow, thanks for your advice. Since posting my bit, I've looked around online a bit and the Basil Hayden's buzz appears to indicate it's pretty mild and doesn't really pop (by comparison). I am not a fan of Maker's at all (I found it really unremarkable and boring), so I will give it a hard pass.

I am not a big Jack fan either so I don't have a hard time dropping that- I was intending on getting the JD 1954 Gold Medal later this month which appears to be a much better price point for a refinement on the basic formula.

Prices in my area are steeper than most (and are in CDN) so it's tough to compare. For reference, Buffalo Trace is $42 here, with Bulleit Rye being $37. I do get the chance to whip down to New Hampshire a few times per year (where I usually get a few bottles of Woodford Reserve by default) where I know BT is commonly $25 there. So, here and now, the Baker's is $55, the EW SB is $60, and Booker's is $70.

Seems like maybe I should just get the Booker's for now as the price isn't too far off what you were saying, and get the other two at what would probably be significantly more reasonable prices next time I'm in New England. Thanks again for the speedy feedback.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Yes, I have been thinking about it and maybe it's something that can wait. Thanks for the link(s) to the NH liquor site, bookmarked. Between my wife and I, every time we go down for a trip we can bring back 3 750ml (i.e. 26 oz.) bottles of hard liquor between us so I always plan carefully. Like I said it usually winds up defaulting to Woodford Reserve but I want to round out my liquor cabinet in 2014. Thanks again for your advice.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

rufius posted:

While I'm sure many will disagree with me, I just don't find Woodford Reserve to be that interesting of a product. Especially some of their more recent experiments like Double Oaked which I thought was just loving awful.

That said, here's some other options that are available at the NH Liquor Stores and are quite tasty:
  • Blanton's Single Barrel - The original single barrel bourbon.
  • Beam Signature Craft - newish product (released last month) that is targeted at the 'super premium' level. It's delicious and I'd buy it any day of the week.
  • Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve - Delicious premium expression of Wild Turkey.
  • Old Grand Dad Bonded - Pretty different compared to most bourbons in flavor. Has a pretty heavy rye mashbill so there's a lot of spice. One of my cheaper stand-by's.
  • Stagg Jr. - One of my top 3 whiskies. I love Daddy Stagg (George T. Stagg, known for being like rocket fuel) and I love this one as well.

Of the above, if I had to choose one, it'd be the Stagg Jr. After that Blanton's and Beam signature craft. The other two are more just solid products that I would buy if I hadn't already tried them (or in OGD's case, own them).
I'll give that Woodford isn't exactly a daring choice. It along with Buffalo Trace are two of the first bourbons I really got into so it's probably a sentimental favorite.

Thanks for the recs. I've already tried OGB BIB and while it's strong it really was quite nice for the price. I tried WT 101 which was fine (again, for the price especially) but I could do with an entry that has a little more zing.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Devoz posted:

So the recent discussions about inexpensive and tasty rye whiskey reminded me that I am out of George Dickel Rye. When I went to the store, I ended up picking of George Dickel and Bulleit Rye as well. Considering they come from the same initial source, they did taste similar. Personally, I prefer the Bulleit Rye. The finish is a little spicier, which is nice to have in a rye.

The clearance section also had a bottle of 21yr rye, from Collingwood (Canadian whiskey company). It was only 80 proof, compared to 90 for the other two. The Collingwood 21yr Rye had a lot more depth in flavor, and I certainly prefer it over the other two.

Glad to hear the Collingwood 21 year worked out for you because I found their regular bottling to be too maple-y and not particularly worthwhile.

Can't go wrong with Bulleit Rye and as mentioned, Rittenhouse.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Glenlivet 12 is pretty drinkable and affordable for a bourbon fan trying to scotch it up. Scotch didn't really take for me in a big way (yet) but it's certainly better than working your way up from Dewar's White.

e: Not sure how the 15 French Oak stacks up on price but I would second that nomination if it's available to you. The 12 just seems more commonplace.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Wachter posted:

I've been drinking Jim Beam White for a long time since it's pretty much the only dirt-cheap, readily available bourbon here in rural UK. And, while I'll be keeping a bottle around for lovely party drinks like boilermakers and such, I need something with some actual flavour. Also, a good introductory rye. I'm no stranger to full flavour (I'm a big fan of Laphroaig and Smith & Cross rum), and in fact I'd prefer something with some complexity and body, since all my homemade Manhattans thus far have been dull, lifeless affairs :(

I was thinking maybe Wild Turkey 101 for bourbon, and Rittenhouse 100 for rye? Seems like both have a pretty good rep here.
WT101 is very nice especially at the price. Rittenhouse 100 is delicious as well and it's a go-to for me these days.

While it's not a thread favorite, if you like Jim Beam White I've had a couple bottles of the 6-year tripled aged JB Black lately (there was a sale this month) and I found it to be quite drinkable and a good value, despite my dislike for JB White.

If you have access to Bulleit rye it's big on flavor as well and quite accessible.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

door Door door posted:

Managed to find OGD BiB in a 1.75L :getin:
I was down in New Hampshire this weekend and that size was on sale for $25 I believe. It was very tempting but it would have put me over my limit.

As it stands, I came back with bottles of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked, Four Roses Single Batch, and Baker's bourbons, all on sale and all new to me. Quite looking forward to a tasting.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

For whatever it's worth, since my last post (exactly one month ago, wow) I've finished off my bottles of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked, Four Roses Single Batch and Baker's.

Out of the three, all were certainly worth the price (on sale) but only the Baker's was I particularly impressed with. That's some real nice stuff. drat.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Depends on the mixed drink, but the first old fashioned that I made myself with the purist recipe was with Buffalo Trace and I've never looked back.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Distorted Kiwi posted:

On an unrelated note, invested in some Johnnie Walker Double Black today. Really enjoying it, doubly so since the last Black Label I had seemed a little one-note.
I got some Double Black on sale last time I was passing through the Cancun airport a couple months ago. I taste-tested it against Gold and honestly found Double Black to be the tastier of the two. I should really crack that open soon.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

spankmeister posted:

Hmm interesting. I think double black is one-note compared to regular black.

It's more smoke and wood but it lacks a bit of depth the black has.
I'm not sure that Double Black is going to replace Black as my liquor cabinet fixture, especially where it's $22 CAD more per bottle where I live, but compared to the Gold ($5 more per bottle than DB) I'll take it.

I probably wouldn't buy DB over Black again except on sale but maybe this bottle will win me over.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

After spending most of May drinking exclusively Knob Creek 9 Year (it was on sale) I was interested to find that my local stores actually carry Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10. As a Buffalo Trace fan I am cautiously optimistic as I haven't had anything really new to try for several months now. Cracking it open tonight after a long week.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

silvergoose posted:

Is the egg white absolutely necessary, or can I make it without? Not as much worried about contamination, just adds a significant step beyond "squeeze lemon, add stuff, drink", which is "crack egg, separate white, wash hands thoroughly, shake".
I'm interested to know this too, or a suitable substitute, because I really dislike eggs and/or wasting yolks.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Inspired by this thread, albeit not being the cocktail thread, just made my first ever mint julep with garden-fresh mint.

I knew there was a reason I picked up a bottle of Maker's on sale, even though I normally don't much care for it.

Great drink for sitting on your front porch on a warm summer's eve.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

silvergoose posted:

Is the egg white absolutely necessary, or can I make it without? Not as much worried about contamination, just adds a significant step beyond "squeeze lemon, add stuff, drink", which is "crack egg, separate white, wash hands thoroughly, shake".
Further to this I found something on Serious Eats which tackles the issue of egg white substitution. The most straightforward and authentic substitute seems to be powdered egg white:

quote:

The standard starting with 2 teaspoons of powder and 2 tablespoons water per egg white. Combine the powder and water in warm (not hot) water. A fork or immersion blender helps. Egg white powder is also sold as albumin powder.

It has the added benefit of non-contamination, and you can scale the powder-water ratio to suit your foamy tastes. Might also help if you were making a large number of cocktails for guests.

I might try it sometime as it will might not trigger my egg-ick factor that way.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Is Templeton Rye worth trying at what amounts to $41 USD if I'm pretty content with Rittenhouse at roughly $32 USD?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Meowenstein posted:

Not really. It's just MGP rye. If you want something similar for less money then maybe try George Dickel Rye or Bulleit Rye.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Also it just plain isn't that good.
I had heard about the whole marketing fiasco but these responses are where the rubber hits the road for me. I do also like Bulleit rye quite a bit so I won't bother trying Templeton just for it's own sake.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Ivan Yurkinov posted:

Rittenhouse is my go-to Rye. Just as good or better than a lot of boutique expensive ryes. Also Bulleit Rye. Bulleit Bourbon is not so great.
Bulleit Bourbon is ok but not OP-worthy. Rittenhouse is great except when you make it your go-to and it ruins non-cocktail consumption of Bulleit Bourbon (and possibly Rye) for you.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

kidsafe posted:

Quinta Ruban is probably the only ACE'd Glenmorangie I bother with, and you can really tell the difference between Glenmorangie 10 and its 2-years older competition in Glenlivet and Glenfiddich. That being said, Signet is one of my all time favorite spirits ever.

Monkey Shoulder is a perfectly good whisky at is price point. Not sure how it offended you. It's also the only way I can get a whiff of Kininvie without spending stupidbux for the special releases.
I think the implication was that "after having whisky A, B, and C, and then D - this stuff (Famous Grouse) just sucks".

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Our local liquor stores finally started carrying Dickel Rye. Better price point than Rittenhouse and it's acceptably (albeit very slightly) overproof compared to the average whiskey. Enjoying it quite a bit, for what it is.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Well, to each their own. I decided to give it a shot since nothing good was on sale and wanted to get something new. I'll admit that for the similar price range I'll probably stick to Rittenhouse for my go-to.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

good jovi posted:

It's quite tasty, definitely engineered for "smoothness", and ludicrously overpriced.

Blue Label serves a purpose, it's just not aimed at anyone in this thread.

I keep a bottle of Green Label around, but Black Label is reserved for hotel or airport bars.
Nixon was apparently famous for drinking only Blue Label (with ginger ale), which tells you about everything you need to know.

I'm favorably disposed towards Black Label (but not Double Black) but it's just a bit too boring. It is fairly easy to find in the wild if you're flying/travelling and it's a fine port in that kind of storm.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

ChetReckless posted:

Unfortunately WT101 doesn't seem to be available in Canada -- at least not anywhere in Alberta that I can find. On a recent trip to the States I was able to have some and yeah, it's pretty good.

So does the 81 make for a reasonable substitute? I've heard conflicting things. I've had Rare Breed, but if I'm spending that much I usually just buy Scotch instead. Normally when I go for bourbon I end up with Bulleit.
As a fellow Canadian I've yet to find WT101 either, at least not east of TO. I like Bulleit too but the extra $2 for Buffalo Trace is always worth it to me.

The only things that WT81 have going for it is price and that it goes on sale fairly often. Even then just go up to Bulleit/BT which also have been known to go on sale too.

I'm in Halifax for Natal Day Weekend and decided to treat myself to bottles of Blanton's, EW Single Barrel and Bulleit 10yo. Never tried any of them so can't wait to get home.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 30, 2016

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

I'm going to be out of province next weekend, and able to have a little different selection than I'm used to. This time, I'm doing some online store research to see what's in stock.

Can anyone tell me if Bernheim Original, FEW Bourbon or FEW Rye are worthwhile? Normally I'd splurge for a taste test but they are coming up above $70CAD which is a little steep for a dice roll, shy of an actual recc.

I'm also considering Old Forester, which is quite a bit more recklessly affordable, but if I should steer clear I'd appreciate knowing.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

2DCAT posted:

FEW is terrible, don't be confused by the awesome bottle art. Bernheim is good, especially at the price (US $28 around these parts). The Old Forester whiskey row stuff isn't too bad, although I haven't had the 1920 yet. There are a million other BiBs I'd probably get before buying the standard Old Forester though. I'd buy the Bernheim over the Old Forester too though, but that's just me.
Thanks for the feedback!

Man, American prices depress the hell out of me.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

mojo1701a posted:

Then don't ever venture into Canada.
yeah, that's where I'm at :canada:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

I picked up a some WT101 (along with Elijah Craig 12, Sazerac and some EW Single Barrel) on a business trip this weekend. The WT is way better than I remember from trying it a few years ago. Never tried the EC12 or Sazerac but I'm preemptively calling this a win overall.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

2DCAT posted:

EC12 and sazerac are both good. Not sure if the sazerac is worth the price difference with Rittenhouse... But it's still good.
I was previously a huge fan of Rittenhouse but my province stopped carrying it last year... the only upside was that they cleared it out and I bought a dozen bottles at nearly half price.

I miss it, so tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

mekilljoydammit posted:

Russel's Reserve (WT with age statement yay!) is amazingly cheap for what it is, IMO. My go-to sipping bourbon.
Wanted to thank you for this rec, I would've never tried it otherwise and it's tasty for the price.

I also got around to tasting my Sazerac and EC12. The Sazerac is a nice expression, but the EC12 is really something else. Very tasty caramel flavour compared to my usual bourbons.

On the other hand, I can't handle the maple syrup like flavour (of varying strength) of almost every Canadian whiskey I've tried. Go figure.